Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Problem Recording

colin at carolnrob

Aug 21, 2003, 2:39 PM

Problem Recording

I have another problem. When I try to record something from the program
guide mythbackend starts spitting out this weird error. I have only
really tried to record once, but I have had trouble with doing other
recordings, which I didn't really look into what their errors meant. In
this case I tried to record from the program guide. I selected a 2:30
show, even though mythtv showed the time as 2:31 (I do not know why
mythtv would care if the show has already started or not, but in case it
did, I thought I should say that). Here is the error that mythbackend
gave me:

DB Error (position map insert):
Query was:
INSERT recordedmarkup (chanid, starttime, mark, type, offset) values (
'1004', '20030821143000', 290, 7, "85919430");
Driver error was [2/-1]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
Database error was:
Can't open file: 'recordedmarkup.MYD'. (errno: 145)

It gave me a lot of those and it keeps spitting them out while it
records. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Colin

rhooper at toybox

Aug 21, 2003, 3:11 PM

Re: Problem Recording [In reply to]

Colin Armstrong wrote:

>I have another problem. When I try to record something from the program
>guide mythbackend starts spitting out this weird error. I have only
>really tried to record once, but I have had trouble with doing other
>recordings, which I didn't really look into what their errors meant. In
>this case I tried to record from the program guide. I selected a 2:30
>show, even though mythtv showed the time as 2:31 (I do not know why
>mythtv would care if the show has already started or not, but in case it
>did, I thought I should say that). Here is the error that mythbackend
>gave me:
>
>DB Error (position map insert):
>Query was:
>INSERT recordedmarkup (chanid, starttime, mark, type, offset) values (
>'1004', '20030821143000', 290, 7, "85919430");
>Driver error was [2/-1]:
>QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
>Database error was:
>Can't open file: 'recordedmarkup.MYD'. (errno: 145)
>
>It gave me a lot of those and it keeps spitting them out while it
>records. Any ideas?
>Thanks,
>Colin

Your MySQL configuration/install is broken. I suspect that your MySQL
daemon is running as a user that can't read the files.

Roy

colin at carolnrob

Aug 21, 2003, 3:19 PM

Re: Problem Recording [In reply to]

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 14:39, Colin Armstrong wrote:
> I have another problem. When I try to record something from the program
> guide mythbackend starts spitting out this weird error. I have only
> really tried to record once, but I have had trouble with doing other
> recordings, which I didn't really look into what their errors meant. In
> this case I tried to record from the program guide. I selected a 2:30
> show, even though mythtv showed the time as 2:31 (I do not know why
> mythtv would care if the show has already started or not, but in case it
> did, I thought I should say that).
Actually, I checked again and I do get this error repeatedly but with
small variations. Also, I tried recording a second time and mythbackend
gave me the same error.
> Here is the error that mythbackend
> gave me:
>
> DB Error (position map insert):
> Query was:
> INSERT recordedmarkup (chanid, starttime, mark, type, offset) values (
> '1004', '20030821143000', 290, 7, "85919430");
> Driver error was [2/-1]:
> QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
> Database error was:
> Can't open file: 'recordedmarkup.MYD'. (errno: 145)
>
> It gave me a lot of those and it keeps spitting them out while it
> records. Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Colin

colin at carolnrob

Aug 21, 2003, 3:20 PM

Re: Problem Recording [In reply to]

Sorry, for asking this, but would you be able to tell me how to fix it?
Thanks,
Colin
On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 15:11, Roy Hooper wrote:
> Colin Armstrong wrote:
>
> >I have another problem. When I try to record something from the program
> >guide mythbackend starts spitting out this weird error. I have only
> >really tried to record once, but I have had trouble with doing other
> >recordings, which I didn't really look into what their errors meant. In
> >this case I tried to record from the program guide. I selected a 2:30
> >show, even though mythtv showed the time as 2:31 (I do not know why
> >mythtv would care if the show has already started or not, but in case it
> >did, I thought I should say that). Here is the error that mythbackend
> >gave me:
> >
> >DB Error (position map insert):
> >Query was:
> >INSERT recordedmarkup (chanid, starttime, mark, type, offset) values (
> >'1004', '20030821143000', 290, 7, "85919430");
> >Driver error was [2/-1]:
> >QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
> >Database error was:
> >Can't open file: 'recordedmarkup.MYD'. (errno: 145)
> >
> >It gave me a lot of those and it keeps spitting them out while it
> >records. Any ideas?
> >Thanks,
> >Colin
> >

> Your MySQL configuration/install is broken. I suspect that your MySQL
> daemon is running as a user that can't read the files.
>
> Roy

colin at carolnrob

Aug 21, 2003, 3:56 PM

Re: Problem Recording [In reply to]

Also, another problem with recording that I noticed is that it does not
actually record the show. It records just a lot of frames that are 3/4
full of solid green and the other quater at the top is as if the channel
is scrambled. This could be releated to my other problem that I posted
this morning as Scrambled TV Input. Any adice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Colin
On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 15:11, Roy Hooper wrote:
> Colin Armstrong wrote:
>
> >I have another problem. When I try to record something from the program
> >guide mythbackend starts spitting out this weird error. I have only
> >really tried to record once, but I have had trouble with doing other
> >recordings, which I didn't really look into what their errors meant. In
> >this case I tried to record from the program guide. I selected a 2:30
> >show, even though mythtv showed the time as 2:31 (I do not know why
> >mythtv would care if the show has already started or not, but in case it
> >did, I thought I should say that). Here is the error that mythbackend
> >gave me:
> >
> >DB Error (position map insert):
> >Query was:
> >INSERT recordedmarkup (chanid, starttime, mark, type, offset) values (
> >'1004', '20030821143000', 290, 7, "85919430");
> >Driver error was [2/-1]:
> >QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
> >Database error was:
> >Can't open file: 'recordedmarkup.MYD'. (errno: 145)
> >
> >It gave me a lot of those and it keeps spitting them out while it
> >records. Any ideas?
> >Thanks,
> >Colin
> >

> Your MySQL configuration/install is broken. I suspect that your MySQL
> daemon is running as a user that can't read the files.
>
> Roy

colin at carolnrob

Aug 21, 2003, 4:20 PM

Re: Problem Recording [In reply to]

I know have some more information about my problem. I did chmod 777 on
the file it wanted, then tried to record again and it gave me the same
sort of error. I even restarted mythbackend just to make sure that it
was not working. I do not know what my problem is but any help or advice
would be greatly appreciated. Below is the first part of the error from
starting mythbackend to having it start to spit out the error. Notice
how the first two parts of the error is different from the rest of the
error. It gave me the first part of the error as soon as mythbackend
booted up. I had told it to record a program that had already started
and that I had recorded just a few minutes before, which is probably why
it says there were duplicate files. It was probably about a 30 second
delay from the first part of the error to the second part of the error.
Also notice how the second part is different from the first and the
rest. After the second part the rest of the error varies slightly from
part to part as you can see below. Here is the error:

[root [at] conf-p colin]# mythbackend
Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the
authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
authentication failed
Starting up as the master server.
Probed: /dev/video0 - Television
Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite1
Probed: /dev/video0 - S-Video
Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite3
DB Error (WriteRecordedToDB):
Query was:
INSERT INTO recorded
(chanid,starttime,endtime,title,subtitle,description,hostname,category)
VALUES(1004,"20030821160000","20030821163000","KRON 4 News at
4","","Sinkovitz, Liviakis.","conf-pc.ca.sandia.gov","News");
Driver error was [2/-1]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
Database error was:
Duplicate entry '1004-20030821160000' for key 1

Changing from None to RecordingOnly
strange error flushing buffer ...
DB Error (position map clear):
Query was:
DELETE FROM recordedmarkup WHERE chanid = '1004' AND starttime =
'20030821160000' AND type = 7 AND mark <= 48;
Driver error was [2/-1]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
Database error was:
Can't open file: 'recordedmarkup.MYD'. (errno: 145)

DB Error (position map insert):
Query was:
INSERT recordedmarkup (chanid, starttime, mark, type, offset) values (
'1004', '20030821160000', 0, 7, "1064");
Driver error was [2/-1]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
Database error was:
Can't open file: 'recordedmarkup.MYD'. (errno: 145)

DB Error (position map insert):
Query was:
INSERT recordedmarkup (chanid, starttime, mark, type, offset) values (
'1004', '20030821160000', 4, 7, "969361");
Driver error was [2/-1]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
Database error was:
Can't open file: 'recordedmarkup.MYD'. (errno: 145)

Any help is appreciated,
Colin
On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 15:56, Colin Armstrong wrote:
> Also, another problem with recording that I noticed is that it does not
> actually record the show. It records just a lot of frames that are 3/4
> full of solid green and the other quater at the top is as if the channel
> is scrambled. This could be releated to my other problem that I posted
> this morning as Scrambled TV Input. Any adice is appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Colin
> On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 15:11, Roy Hooper wrote:
> > Colin Armstrong wrote:
> >
> > >I have another problem. When I try to record something from the program
> > >guide mythbackend starts spitting out this weird error. I have only
> > >really tried to record once, but I have had trouble with doing other
> > >recordings, which I didn't really look into what their errors meant. In
> > >this case I tried to record from the program guide. I selected a 2:30
> > >show, even though mythtv showed the time as 2:31 (I do not know why
> > >mythtv would care if the show has already started or not, but in case it
> > >did, I thought I should say that). Here is the error that mythbackend
> > >gave me:
> > >
> > >DB Error (position map insert):
> > >Query was:
> > >INSERT recordedmarkup (chanid, starttime, mark, type, offset) values (
> > >'1004', '20030821143000', 290, 7, "85919430");
> > >Driver error was [2/-1]:
> > >QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
> > >Database error was:
> > >Can't open file: 'recordedmarkup.MYD'. (errno: 145)
> > >
> > >It gave me a lot of those and it keeps spitting them out while it
> > >records. Any ideas?
> > >Thanks,
> > >Colin
> > >

> > Your MySQL configuration/install is broken. I suspect that your MySQL
> > daemon is running as a user that can't read the files.
> >
> > Roy

rob at vortimac

Aug 22, 2003, 7:18 AM

Re: Problem Recording [In reply to]

> DB Error (WriteRecordedToDB):
> Query was:
> INSERT INTO recorded
> (chanid,starttime,endtime,title,subtitle,description,hostname,category)
> VALUES(1004,"20030821160000","20030821163000","KRON 4 News at
> 4","","Sinkovitz, Liviakis.","conf-pc.ca.sandia.gov","News");
> Driver error was [2/-1]:
> QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
> Database error was:
> Duplicate entry '1004-20030821160000' for key 1

Colin,
You should probably try to search the mythTV archives @
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive/MythTV_C2. Someone had an
identical (or very close) problem a few months back. Just search for
recordedmarkup.MYD in the user archives and I think you'll find your
answer.

Cheers,
Rob

colin at carolnrob

Aug 22, 2003, 9:38 AM

Re: Problem Recording [In reply to]

So, I did find the error on the mailing list and it did tell me what to
do, but now I am having trouble running the command. It told me to do a
database dump, which I did, and then to run mc.sql. After I did the
database dump, all of the files in mythconverg were still there and
mc.sql complained about there already being a database. Then, because of
this, I moved the bad file, recordmarkup.MYD to a different directory.
Then I ran "mysql > mc.sql" and it just sits there it does not give me
another terminal prompt but it goes done one line and the cursor just
blinks. It seems like it is doing something but I don't think it is,
because it has been going for 5 min and it has not stopped. One time I
stopped and checked to see if it had created recordmarkup.MYD and it had
not. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Colin
On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 07:18, Rob Minerick wrote:
> > DB Error (WriteRecordedToDB):
> > Query was:
> > INSERT INTO recorded
> > (chanid,starttime,endtime,title,subtitle,description,hostname,category)
> > VALUES(1004,"20030821160000","20030821163000","KRON 4 News at
> > 4","","Sinkovitz, Liviakis.","conf-pc.ca.sandia.gov","News");
> > Driver error was [2/-1]:
> > QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
> > Database error was:
> > Duplicate entry '1004-20030821160000' for key 1
>
> Colin,
> You should probably try to search the mythTV archives @
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive/MythTV_C2. Someone had an
> identical (or very close) problem a few months back. Just search for
> recordedmarkup.MYD in the user archives and I think you'll find your
> answer.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob

msherman at dsbox

Aug 22, 2003, 10:17 AM

Re: Problem Recording [In reply to]

1) When you dumped the DB did you also drop it? You have to remove the
database with the sql command "drop database mythconverg".

2) Don't run "mysql > mc.sql". I think you just blanked out your mc.sql
file. You want to direct the contents of the file into the mysql
command, so run "myslq < mc.sql".

Colin Armstrong wrote:

> So, I did find the error on the mailing list and it did tell me what to
> do, but now I am having trouble running the command. It told me to do a
> database dump, which I did, and then to run mc.sql. After I did the
> database dump, all of the files in mythconverg were still there and
> mc.sql complained about there already being a database. Then, because of
> this, I moved the bad file, recordmarkup.MYD to a different directory.
> Then I ran "mysql > mc.sql" and it just sits there it does not give me
> another terminal prompt but it goes done one line and the cursor just
> blinks. It seems like it is doing something but I don't think it is,
> because it has been going for 5 min and it has not stopped. One time I
> stopped and checked to see if it had created recordmarkup.MYD and it had
> not. Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Colin
> On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 07:18, Rob Minerick wrote:
>
>>>DB Error (WriteRecordedToDB):
>>>Query was:
>>>INSERT INTO recorded
>>>(chanid,starttime,endtime,title,subtitle,description,hostname,category)
>>>VALUES(1004,"20030821160000","20030821163000","KRON 4 News at
>>>4","","Sinkovitz, Liviakis.","conf-pc.ca.sandia.gov","News");
>>>Driver error was [2/-1]:
>>>QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
>>>Database error was:
>>>Duplicate entry '1004-20030821160000' for key 1
>>
>>Colin,
>> You should probably try to search the mythTV archives @
>>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive/MythTV_C2. Someone had an
>>identical (or very close) problem a few months back. Just search for
>>recordedmarkup.MYD in the user archives and I think you'll find your
>>answer.
>>
>>Cheers,

colin at carolnrob

Aug 22, 2003, 10:43 AM

Re: Problem Recording [In reply to]

Sorry for this pathetic question but could you tell me the command to
run to the drop database command? when I type "drop database
mythconverg" it tells me that there is now command "drop" Sorry.
Thanks,
Colin
On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 10:17, Michael J. Sherman wrote:
> 1) When you dumped the DB did you also drop it? You have to remove the
> database with the sql command "drop database mythconverg".
>
> 2) Don't run "mysql > mc.sql". I think you just blanked out your mc.sql
> file. You want to direct the contents of the file into the mysql
> command, so run "myslq < mc.sql".
>

> Colin Armstrong wrote:
>
> > So, I did find the error on the mailing list and it did tell me what to
> > do, but now I am having trouble running the command. It told me to do a
> > database dump, which I did, and then to run mc.sql. After I did the
> > database dump, all of the files in mythconverg were still there and
> > mc.sql complained about there already being a database. Then, because of
> > this, I moved the bad file, recordmarkup.MYD to a different directory.
> > Then I ran "mysql > mc.sql" and it just sits there it does not give me
> > another terminal prompt but it goes done one line and the cursor just
> > blinks. It seems like it is doing something but I don't think it is,
> > because it has been going for 5 min and it has not stopped. One time I
> > stopped and checked to see if it had created recordmarkup.MYD and it had
> > not. Any ideas?
> > Thanks,
> > Colin

> >>Colin,
> >> You should probably try to search the mythTV archives @
> >>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive/MythTV_C2. Someone had an
> >>identical (or very close) problem a few months back. Just search for
> >>recordedmarkup.MYD in the user archives and I think you'll find your
> >>answer.
> >>
> >>Cheers,

kvandivo at ks

Aug 22, 2003, 10:49 AM

Re: Problem Recording [In reply to]

you _do_ need to be in mysql at the time.

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 10:43:14AM -0700, Colin Armstrong wrote:
> Sorry for this pathetic question but could you tell me the command to
> run to the drop database command? when I type "drop database
> mythconverg" it tells me that there is now command "drop" Sorry.
> Thanks,
> Colin
> On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 10:17, Michael J. Sherman wrote:
> > 1) When you dumped the DB did you also drop it? You have to remove the
> > database with the sql command "drop database mythconverg".
> >
> > 2) Don't run "mysql > mc.sql". I think you just blanked out your mc.sql
> > file. You want to direct the contents of the file into the mysql
> > command, so run "myslq < mc.sql".
> >

> > Colin Armstrong wrote:
> >
> > > So, I did find the error on the mailing list and it did tell me what to
> > > do, but now I am having trouble running the command. It told me to do a
> > > database dump, which I did, and then to run mc.sql. After I did the
> > > database dump, all of the files in mythconverg were still there and
> > > mc.sql complained about there already being a database. Then, because of
> > > this, I moved the bad file, recordmarkup.MYD to a different directory.
> > > Then I ran "mysql > mc.sql" and it just sits there it does not give me
> > > another terminal prompt but it goes done one line and the cursor just
> > > blinks. It seems like it is doing something but I don't think it is,
> > > because it has been going for 5 min and it has not stopped. One time I
> > > stopped and checked to see if it had created recordmarkup.MYD and it had
> > > not. Any ideas?
> > > Thanks,
> > > Colin

Kirby Vandivort Theoretical and Computational Biophysics
Email: kvandivo [at] ks 3051 Beckman Institute
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~kvandivo/ University of Illinois
Phone: (217) 244-5711 405 N. Mathews Ave
Fax : (217) 244-6078 Urbana, IL 61801, USA

msherman at dsbox

Aug 22, 2003, 11:25 AM

Re: Problem Recording [In reply to]

Okay, you ought to have at least a working knowledge of Linux and MySQL.
But anyways, "drop database mythconverg" is a command that you run
inside the mysql program. At a shell prompt, run the command "mysql".
You will then be at another prompt that will look like this: "mysql>".
At that point type in "drop database mythconverg;" and hit enter. Then
type in "quit" and hit enter.

colin at carolnrob

Aug 22, 2003, 11:43 AM

Re: Problem Recording [In reply to]

Thanks for helping me with this problem but now I have another. My
problem now is that after I ran mc.sql, mythtv is now giving another
error. I ran the mythtvsetup program and had to set it up completely
again, which I guess is to be expected because I deleted everything in
the database. Now though when I set up mythtv's buffer location I
switched it from where I put it last time. I also switched the storage
location for files for mythtv if that matters. I do not know why
switching these two directories should matter but it appears as if it
does because when I try to watch tv, mythfrontend freezes and the
terminal where I ran the backend from gives an error and shows that
mythtv closed. Here is the error the backend gives:

ERROR opening file '/media/mythtv/cache/ringbuf1.nuv' in
ThreadedFileWriter.

Also, I tried using locate for this file and it turned up nothing. Any
ideas?
Thanks,
Colin

msherman at dsbox

Aug 22, 2003, 12:30 PM

Re: Problem Recording [In reply to]

Does the /media/mythtv/cache/ directory exist? If so, does it have
permissions set such that the user account from which you are running
mythtv has write access?

colin at carolnrob

Aug 22, 2003, 12:56 PM

Re: Problem Recording [In reply to]

So, now I did fix the ringbuf1 problem, but now another problem has
sprung up. This time I have no idea what to do because I have had this
error before and it was fixed easily but I can't fix this one the same
way. This error is the one when you do not have the sound set up
correctly and when you try to watch live TV mythfrontend freezes and you
see that it has spit out a bunch of errors relating to opening the audio
device. I followed all of the steps in the How-To regarding trouble
shooting audio. I can hear sound fine when I use xawtv and "aplay
/dev/dsp". I do not know how to go about troubleshooting this problem
because I know my sound works for everything else. Any ideas? I am not
posting the error because it is the typical sound card problem error,
but if someone feels that it would be useful, let me know and I will
post it.
Thanks,
Colin

irish at irishmark

Aug 22, 2003, 1:09 PM

Re: Problem Recording [In reply to]

> So, now I did fix the ringbuf1 problem, but now another problem has
> sprung up. This time I have no idea what to do because I have had this
> error before and it was fixed easily but I can't fix this one the same
> way. This error is the one when you do not have the sound set up
> correctly and when you try to watch live TV mythfrontend freezes and you
> see that it has spit out a bunch of errors relating to opening the audio
> device. I followed all of the steps in the How-To regarding trouble
> shooting audio. I can hear sound fine when I use xawtv and "aplay
> /dev/dsp". I do not know how to go about troubleshooting this problem
> because I know my sound works for everything else. Any ideas? I am not
> posting the error because it is the typical sound card problem error,
> but if someone feels that it would be useful, let me know and I will
> post it.

Have you checked the user running the backend has (reand and write) access
to /dev/dsp?
It may actually help if you posted the exact error, theres many 'typical'
errors with sound and we don't know which one you have!

colin at carolnrob

Aug 22, 2003, 1:23 PM

Re: Problem Recording [In reply to]

I think that /dev/dsp still allows mythbackend access to it because I
did not change anything in relation to sound since it last worked, but I
will still check. Here is the error the frontend gave:

[colin [at] conf-p colin]$ mythfrontend
connecting to backend server: 146.246.248.70:6543
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
Opening OSS audio device ''.
open: No such file or directory
[...]
player: Can't open audio device:
Over/underscanning. V: 0.000000, H: 0.000000, XOff: 0, YOff: 0
Using XV port 61

Also, when I close the frontend after it gives this error, the backend
segfaults and closes.
Thanks,
Colin
On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 13:09, Mark Edwards wrote:
> > So, now I did fix the ringbuf1 problem, but now another problem has
> > sprung up. This time I have no idea what to do because I have had this
> > error before and it was fixed easily but I can't fix this one the same
> > way. This error is the one when you do not have the sound set up
> > correctly and when you try to watch live TV mythfrontend freezes and you
> > see that it has spit out a bunch of errors relating to opening the audio
> > device. I followed all of the steps in the How-To regarding trouble
> > shooting audio. I can hear sound fine when I use xawtv and "aplay
> > /dev/dsp". I do not know how to go about troubleshooting this problem
> > because I know my sound works for everything else. Any ideas? I am not
> > posting the error because it is the typical sound card problem error,
> > but if someone feels that it would be useful, let me know and I will
> > post it.
>
> Have you checked the user running the backend has (reand and write) access
> to /dev/dsp?
> It may actually help if you posted the exact error, theres many 'typical'
> errors with sound and we don't know which one you have!

jcaputo1 at comcast

Aug 22, 2003, 2:02 PM

RE: Problem Recording [In reply to]

[snip ridiculously long & redundant errors]

> Over/underscanning. V: 0.000000, H: 0.000000, XOff: 0, YOff: 0
> Using XV port 61
>
> Also, when I close the frontend after it gives this error, the backend
> segfaults and closes.
> Thanks,
> Colin

Are you sure you defined an audio device in the setup? It's not complaining
about '/dev/dsp'; it's complaining about '(null string)'.

-JAC

beww at beww

Re: Problem recording [In reply to]

On Apr 16, 2007, at 6:42 AM, Erik Dansbo wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I'm having some trouble getting my mythtv to record scheduled
> programs.
>
> I have no trouble in recording liveTV nor trouble seeing the
> program in the media library.
>
> I have installed mythtv on a Fedora Core 6 using the KDE desktop.
>
> I am using a WIN TV PCI-FM card, where I am capturing my signal
> from the built in S-video input.
>
> When I want to record I have tried to manually set it up.
> Afterwards I can find the scheduled recording in "scheduled
> recordings" But when mythtv should start to record I get an error.
>
> It simply just says recording failed.
>
> Hope there is someone out there who can help.

We can try, but we need more information.

Who or what is the "it" that says the recording has failed? If it's a
log file you might try increasing the verbosity.

Does the system say "will record" in the upcoming recordings
listings? Do you get a "no conflicts" message?

How are you scheduling the recording manually (from the guide? from a
"list"? from a "find program" search?)?

Lastly, I know this seems basic, but you seem to have a single
capture device, I assume you are not watching "liveTV" when the
recording comes due? Don't laugh, I've seen this happen more than once.

Brian Wood
beww [at] beww

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: Problem recording [In reply to]

On 04/16/2007 08:42 AM, Erik Dansbo wrote:

> I'm having some trouble getting my mythtv to record scheduled
> programs.
>
> I have no trouble in recording liveTV nor trouble seeing the program
> in the media library.
>
> I have installed mythtv on a Fedora Core 6 using the KDE desktop.
>
> I am using a WIN TV PCI-FM card, where I am capturing my signal from
> the built in S-video input.
>
> When I want to record I have tried to manually set it up. Afterwards
> I can find the scheduled recording in "scheduled recordings" But when
> mythtv should start to record I get an error.
>
> It simply just says recording failed.
>
> Hope there is someone out there who can help.

Your input connections configuration is broken. And, yes, you can still
record LiveTV this way...

Use the "Delete all video sources" button in mythtv-setup to delete all
video sources and then re-create video sources (using DataDirect), input
connections, and channels (using the appropriate procedure, below). You
/must/ use the "Delete all video sources" button rather than deleting
individual sources or you will leave garbage in the database that
prevents things from working.

If you're using a digital source:
You should use MythTV to scan for channels, then you should edit the
xmltvid for those channels to match the appropriate DataDirect channel's
DataDirect ID. The proper process is described at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frontend_Channel_Editor and the
process for finding the xmltvid is described at the XMLTV ID link in
Step 3 on that page.

If you're (a North American user) using an analog source:
Do /not/ scan for channels. Instead, use the "Fetch channels from
listings source" button to download the channels and channel
configuration information from DataDirect.

If you ever change capture cards or capture card drivers (or you change
your hostname, but don't follow the instructions in the HOWTO) and have
problems with recording, you should use the "Delete all capture cards"
button to delete all capture cards after deleting all video sources.
You /must/ use "Delete all capture cards" rather than "Delete all
capture cards on <hostname>" to ensure you've deleted everything. Then,
recreate capture cards, video sources, input connections, and finally
channels.

Why the "Delete All" approach?
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/260095#260095

What's different about the "Delete All" buttons?
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/261243#261243

Mike

dansbo at mail

Re: Problem recording [In reply to]

Regarding scheduling, It doesn't matter what way I schedule the recording. I've tried both the guide and manually set mythtv to record.

yes Mythtv says will record when I check upcoming recordings.

And yes I have only one capture device, but I am not watching TV at the same time.

And I must admit i am a total linux newbie and haven't found any log to use.