Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording?

marcone at xs4all

Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording?

A few times now, MythTV decided it would not record an episode of
Grey's Anatomy because the same episode is on again a week later.
The scheduled recordings screen says something like "won't record -
later showing", and shows it plans to record the week after.
There are no conflicts (Grey's is one of two shows I record that
day, and I have three tuners).
So why does mythtv insist on recording an episode a week late (running
the risk of a schedule change causing it to miss the episode entirely),
when it could have just recorded it when it was on the first time?

knowledgejunkie at gmail

Re: Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording? [In reply to]

On 14/04/07, Marco Nelissen <marcone [at] xs4all> wrote:
> A few times now, MythTV decided it would not record an episode of
> Grey's Anatomy because the same episode is on again a week later.
> The scheduled recordings screen says something like "won't record -
> later showing", and shows it plans to record the week after.
> There are no conflicts (Grey's is one of two shows I record that
> day, and I have three tuners).
> So why does mythtv insist on recording an episode a week late (running
> the risk of a schedule change causing it to miss the episode entirely),
> when it could have just recorded it when it was on the first time?

Marco,

It'll be down to the scheduler's scoring for the showing - if you post
the output from 'mythbackend --printsched' grepped for Grey's Anatomy
it'll likely show that the repeated showing has a higher score than
the first showing.

Other factors that influence the behaviour are number of tuners, other
scheduled programs around the time of the Grey's recording, global
pre/post roll, and the reschedule higher priorities option.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording? [In reply to]

On 04/14/2007 10:35 AM, Marco Nelissen wrote:
> A few times now, MythTV decided it would not record an episode of
> Grey's Anatomy because the same episode is on again a week later.
> The scheduled recordings screen says something like "won't record -
> later showing", and shows it plans to record the week after.
> There are no conflicts (Grey's is one of two shows I record that
> day, and I have three tuners).
> So why does mythtv insist on recording an episode a week late (running
> the risk of a schedule change causing it to miss the episode entirely),
> when it could have just recorded it when it was on the first time?

The non-specific answer is that you've enabled:

Reschedule Higher Priorities
Move higher priority programs to other cards and showings when resolving
conflicts. This can be used to record lower priority programs that
would otherwise not be recorded, but risks missing a higher priority
program if the schedule changes.

The details depend on the details of your schedule.

Mike

jppoet at gmail

Re: Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording? [In reply to]

On 4/14/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:

> On 04/14/2007 10:35 AM, Marco Nelissen wrote:
> > A few times now, MythTV decided it would not record an episode of
> > Grey's Anatomy because the same episode is on again a week later.
> > The scheduled recordings screen says something like "won't record -
> > later showing", and shows it plans to record the week after.
> > There are no conflicts (Grey's is one of two shows I record that
> > day, and I have three tuners).
> > So why does mythtv insist on recording an episode a week late (running
> > the risk of a schedule change causing it to miss the episode entirely),
> > when it could have just recorded it when it was on the first time?
> >

> The non-specific answer is that you've enabled:
>
> Reschedule Higher Priorities
> Move higher priority programs to other cards and showings when resolving
> conflicts. This can be used to record lower priority programs that
> would otherwise not be recorded, but risks missing a higher priority
> program if the schedule changes.
>

> The details depend on the details of your schedule.
>
> Mike

I have noticed this behavior lately as well. The real question is, why does
it postpone a recording for no reason? I have seen it happen when *NO*
other recording are schedule at that time, yet it decides to postpone the
one recording which is scheduled. So, why does the later time slot have a
higher priority than the earlier one?

John

marcone at xs4all

Re: Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording? [In reply to]

>On 4/14/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:
>>
>> On 04/14/2007 10:35 AM, Marco Nelissen wrote:
>> > A few times now, MythTV decided it would not record an episode of
>> > Grey's Anatomy because the same episode is on again a week later.
>> > The scheduled recordings screen says something like "won't record -
>> > later showing", and shows it plans to record the week after.
>> > There are no conflicts (Grey's is one of two shows I record that
>> > day, and I have three tuners).
>> > So why does mythtv insist on recording an episode a week late (running
>> > the risk of a schedule change causing it to miss the episode entirely),
>> > when it could have just recorded it when it was on the first time?
>> >

>> The non-specific answer is that you've enabled:
>>
>> Reschedule Higher Priorities
>> Move higher priority programs to other cards and showings when resolving
>> conflicts. This can be used to record lower priority programs that
>> would otherwise not be recorded, but risks missing a higher priority
>> program if the schedule changes.
>>

>> The details depend on the details of your schedule.
>>
>> Mike
>

>I have noticed this behavior lately as well. The real question is, why does
>it postpone a recording for no reason? I have seen it happen when *NO*
>other recording are schedule at that time, yet it decides to postpone the
>one recording which is scheduled. So, why does the later time slot have a
>higher priority than the earlier one?

Exactly. In my case, there was no conflict (2 shows, 3 tuners), so the "reschedule
higher priorities" option should not come into play at all.

myth at robinhill

Re: Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording? [In reply to]

On Sat Apr 14, 2007 at 10:16:06AM -0700, Marco Nelissen wrote:

> >> The non-specific answer is that you've enabled:
> >>
> >> Reschedule Higher Priorities
> >> Move higher priority programs to other cards and showings when resolving
> >> conflicts. This can be used to record lower priority programs that
> >> would otherwise not be recorded, but risks missing a higher priority
> >> program if the schedule changes.
> >>
> >> The details depend on the details of your schedule.
> >>
> >> Mike
> >
> >I have noticed this behavior lately as well. The real question is, why does
> >it postpone a recording for no reason? I have seen it happen when *NO*
> >other recording are schedule at that time, yet it decides to postpone the
> >one recording which is scheduled. So, why does the later time slot have a
> >higher priority than the earlier one?
>
> Exactly. In my case, there was no conflict (2 shows, 3 tuners), so the "reschedule
> higher priorities" option should not come into play at all.

Is the later showing on the same channel? If not, do you have
priorities set on the channels?

Cheers,
Robin
--
___
( ' } | Robin Hill <myth [at] robinhill> |

marcone at xs4all

Re: Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording? [In reply to]

>> >I have noticed this behavior lately as well. The real question is, why does
>> >it postpone a recording for no reason? I have seen it happen when *NO*
>> >other recording are schedule at that time, yet it decides to postpone the
>> >one recording which is scheduled. So, why does the later time slot have a
>> >higher priority than the earlier one?
>>
>> Exactly. In my case, there was no conflict (2 shows, 3 tuners), so the "reschedule
>> higher priorities" option should not come into play at all.
>>
>Is the later showing on the same channel? If not, do you have
>priorities set on the channels?

In my case, Same channel. For whatever reason, mythtv decided it was better to
record the same episode on the same channel a week later, even though there was
no shortage of tuners to record on. The only reason given was "later showing".

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording? [In reply to]

On 04/14/2007 01:16 PM, Marco Nelissen wrote:
>> I have noticed this behavior lately as well. The real question is, why does
>> it postpone a recording for no reason? I have seen it happen when *NO*
>> other recording are schedule at that time, yet it decides to postpone the
>> one recording which is scheduled. So, why does the later time slot have a
>> higher priority than the earlier one?
>>
> Exactly. In my case, there was no conflict (2 shows, 3 tuners), so the "reschedule
> higher priorities" option should not come into play at all.

Still, no one has posted schedule details... Chances are it's an
unlucky combination of recording rules, broadcast schedules, and
settings. It can /only/ be explained with the schedule details Nick
asked you to post (although don't grep for Grey's, instead, include all
information about Thursday and Friday). Anything else is conjecture.

I have reschedule higher priority enabled and Grey's is recording on
Thursday and marked E on Friday...

Mike

marcone at xs4all

Re: Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording? [In reply to]

>On 04/14/2007 01:16 PM, Marco Nelissen wrote:
>>> I have noticed this behavior lately as well. The real question is, why does
>>> it postpone a recording for no reason? I have seen it happen when *NO*
>>> other recording are schedule at that time, yet it decides to postpone the
>>> one recording which is scheduled. So, why does the later time slot have a
>>> higher priority than the earlier one?
>>>
>> Exactly. In my case, there was no conflict (2 shows, 3 tuners), so the "reschedule
>> higher priorities" option should not come into play at all.
>
>Still, no one has posted schedule details... Chances are it's an
>unlucky combination of recording rules, broadcast schedules, and
>settings. It can /only/ be explained with the schedule details Nick
>asked you to post (although don't grep for Grey's, instead, include all
>information about Thursday and Friday). Anything else is conjecture.

I don't actually remember what week this was (and in any case it seems
mythbackend --printsched doesn't show past schedule), however it seems
the same thing is going to happen with this week's episode of Lost: it's
not planning to record it on the 18th, but will instead record it on the
25th. Here's what mythbackend --printsched had to say:

--- print list start ---
Title - Subtitle Chan ChID Day Start End S C I T N Pri
Ugly Betty - "Sofia's Choice" 71 1071 14 22:00-23:00 1 0 0 C P 0
Saturday Night Live 111 1111 14 23:29-01:01 1 1 1 C 1 0
Desperate Housewives - "Liaisons" 71 1071 15 21:00-22:02 1 1 1 W 1 0
Brothers & Sisters - "Game Night" 71 1071 15 22:02-23:00 1 1 1 C 1 0
Nova - "Great Escape" 91 1091 15 23:00-00:00 1 0 0 C R 0
How I Met Your Mother - "Swarley" 51 1051 16 20:00-20:30 1 0 0 C P 1
24 - "Day 6: 11:00PM - 12:00 Midnig 21 1021 16 21:00-22:00 1 2 2 C 2 0
Two and a Half Men - "Aunt Myra Doe 51 1051 16 21:00-21:31 1 1 1 W 1 0
Nova - "First Flower" 91 1091 17 20:00-21:00 1 1 1 C 1 0
Jericho - "Casus Belli" 51 1051 18 20:00-21:00 1 1 1 C 1 0
Lost - "Catch-22" 71 1071 18 22:00-23:00 1 0 0 C L 0
Ugly Betty - "Punch Out" 71 1071 19 20:00-21:00 1 1 1 C 1 0
Grey's Anatomy - "Time After Time" 71 1071 19 21:00-22:01 1 1 1 C 1 0
Grey's Anatomy - "Time After Time" 71 1071 20 20:00-21:01 1 0 0 C E 0
Heroes - "Unexpected" 111 1111 21 20:00-21:00 1 0 0 C R 0
Heroes - "Company Man" 111 1111 21 21:00-22:00 1 0 0 C R 0
Heroes - "Parasite" 111 1111 21 22:00-23:00 1 0 0 C R 0
Saturday Night Live 111 1111 21 23:29-01:01 1 1 1 C 1 0
Nova - "Mystery of the Megavolcano" 91 1091 22 01:00-02:00 1 0 0 C R 0
Desperate Housewives - "God, That's 71 1071 22 21:00-22:01 1 1 1 W 1 0
Brothers & Sisters - "Sexual Politi 71 1071 22 22:01-23:00 1 0 0 C P 0
How I Met Your Mother - "Slap Bet" 51 1051 23 20:00-20:30 1 0 0 C P 1
24 - "Day 6: 12:00 Midnight - 1:00 21 1021 23 21:00-22:00 1 2 2 C 2 0
Two and a Half Men - "Tucked, Taped 51 1051 23 21:00-21:31 1 1 1 W 1 0
Heroes - ".07 Percent" 111 1111 23 21:00-22:01 1 3 3 C 3 0
Nova - "First Flower" 91 1091 23 23:00-00:00 1 0 0 C E 0
Nova - "Saved by the Sun" 91 1091 24 20:00-21:00 1 1 1 C 1 0
Jericho - "One if by Land" 51 1051 25 20:00-21:00 1 1 1 C 1 0
Lost - "Catch-22" 71 1071 25 21:00-22:00 1 1 1 W 1 1
Lost - "D.O.C." 71 1071 25 22:00-23:00 1 1 1 C 1 0
Ugly Betty - "Petra-Gate" 71 1071 26 20:00-21:00 1 1 1 C 1 0
Grey's Anatomy - "Desire" 71 1071 26 21:00-22:01 1 1 1 C 1 0
Nova - "Saved by the Sun" 91 1091 26 22:00-23:00 1 0 0 C E 0
--- print list end ---

There doesn't appear to be anything that is really preventing it from recording
Lost on the 18th, but for some reason it's choosing to record on the 25th instead.
Can anyone make sense of this? Anything else I could look at before I go tell
it to record on the 18th instead?

cpinkham at bc2va

Re: Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording? [In reply to]

* On Sat Apr 14, 2007 at 02:29:57PM -0700, Marco Nelissen wrote:
> the same thing is going to happen with this week's episode of Lost: it's
> not planning to record it on the 18th, but will instead record it on the
> 25th. Here's what mythbackend --printsched had to say:

> Title - Subtitle Chan ChID Day Start End S C I T N Pri
> Lost - "Catch-22" 71 1071 18 22:00-23:00 1 0 0 C L 0

I think the 'C' there and the 'W' and 'C' below are the key things to notice.

> Lost - "Catch-22" 71 1071 25 21:00-22:00 1 1 1 W 1 1
> Lost - "D.O.C." 71 1071 25 22:00-23:00 1 1 1 C 1 0

You have 2 recording rules setup for Lost. One appears to be a Weekslot and one
a Channel record. The Weekslot is a +1 priority and the channel is a +0. So,
the Weekslot next week wins over the Channel record this week.

Because you don't have data for the 2nd week out, it shows right now that it will
record "D.O.C." on the 25th, but by the time the 25th rolls around, you'll have
guide data for the next week and the scheduler will decide to record "D.O.C." in
the weekslot position the next week rather than the channel position on the 25th.

--
Chris

marcone at xs4all

Re: Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording? [In reply to]

>* On Sat Apr 14, 2007 at 02:29:57PM -0700, Marco Nelissen wrote:
>> the same thing is going to happen with this week's episode of Lost: it's
>> not planning to record it on the 18th, but will instead record it on the
>> 25th. Here's what mythbackend --printsched had to say:
>
>> Title - Subtitle Chan ChID Day Start End S C I T N Pri
>> Lost - "Catch-22" 71 1071 18 22:00-23:00 1 0 0 C L 0
>
>I think the 'C' there and the 'W' and 'C' below are the key things to notice.
>
>> Lost - "Catch-22" 71 1071 25 21:00-22:00 1 1 1 W 1 1
>> Lost - "D.O.C." 71 1071 25 22:00-23:00 1 1 1 C 1 0
>
>You have 2 recording rules setup for Lost. One appears to be a Weekslot and one
>a Channel record. The Weekslot is a +1 priority and the channel is a +0. So,
>the Weekslot next week wins over the Channel record this week.
>
>Because you don't have data for the 2nd week out, it shows right now that it will
>record "D.O.C." on the 25th, but by the time the 25th rolls around, you'll have
>guide data for the next week and the scheduler will decide to record "D.O.C." in
>the weekslot position the next week rather than the channel position on the 25th.

Yes, I did indeed have two rules for Lost. A leftover from when I first set up
the box, I imagine. I'll have to keep an eye out for another occurence of this
problem with Grey's Anatomy, since I only have one rule for that.

mythtv at rodsbooks

Re: Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording? [In reply to]

On 04/14/2007 10:35 AM, Marco Nelissen wrote:
> A few times now, MythTV decided it would not record an episode of
> Grey's Anatomy because the same episode is on again a week later.
> The scheduled recordings screen says something like "won't record -
> later showing", and shows it plans to record the week after.
> There are no conflicts (Grey's is one of two shows I record that
> day, and I have three tuners).
> So why does mythtv insist on recording an episode a week late

I can think of several possible reasons:

1) If you've given your tuners different priorities, MythTV will
favor the higher-priority tuner(s) even if it means recording
a later showing. If your preference for one tuner over another
is less than your desire to get early showings, give the tuners
equal priorities, but number them in your preference order.
Reserve the tuner prioritization for things like a tuner that
produces a significantly worse picture than the others or one
that's unreliable.

2) I'm not 100% positive of this, but I believe that if you
schedule a show for weekly recording you can get something
like this if you've recorded another episode less than a
week before the one that's gotten bumped. I use the "record
any time" option instead of weekly, daily, etc. If guide
data were unreliable I might use weekly or daily recordings,
but not for shows with reliable data.

3) Conflicts are obviously a possibility you've considered. Be sure
padding isn't causing problems -- if a show before or after the time
slot with two recordings is padded into the period in question, it
could cause a show to get bumped.

4) If your tuners have different sources (digital vs. analog cable, say),
that can cause problems, particularly if a channel's been mistakenly
dropped from one source.

5) If one tuner goes away because it's on a different backend than the
others and that machine is shut down or mythbackend is stopped on it,
the scheduler will remove the recording from its upcoming recordings
list. When you bring the slave backend back on line, the recording will
be added back to the earlier timeslot.

There are probably other possibilities, but these are the ones that spring
immediately to mind.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com

jd2666+mythtvlist at gmail

Re: Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording? [In reply to]

Marco Nelissen wrote:
> A few times now, MythTV decided it would not record an episode of
> Grey's Anatomy because the same episode is on again a week later.
> The scheduled recordings screen says something like "won't record -
> later showing", and shows it plans to record the week after.
> There are no conflicts (Grey's is one of two shows I record that
> day, and I have three tuners).
> So why does mythtv insist on recording an episode a week late (running
> the risk of a schedule change causing it to miss the episode entirely),
> when it could have just recorded it when it was on the first time?

I've noticed that same thing with Grey's Anatomy.
The problem for me is that Grey's Anatomy runs from 9:00 to 10:01 so the
scheduler has Grey's Anatomy take up the time slots for 9:00 and 10:00.
That only ways I've found to workaround this problem are:
1. Watch a later showing the next day
2. Remove the last minute from Grey's Anatomy
3. Remove the first minute of a 10:00 show
4. Buy a third tuner
5. Convince ABC to air the show in a normal time slot
So far I've done ways 1 and 2.
Justin

beww at beww

Re: Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording? [In reply to]

On Apr 15, 2007, at 9:09 PM, Justin wrote:

> I've noticed that same thing with Grey's Anatomy.
> The problem for me is that Grey's Anatomy runs from 9:00 to 10:01
> so the
> scheduler has Grey's Anatomy take up the time slots for 9:00 and
> 10:00.
> That only ways I've found to workaround this problem are:
> 1. Watch a later showing the next day
> 2. Remove the last minute from Grey's Anatomy
> 3. Remove the first minute of a 10:00 show
> 4. Buy a third tuner
> 5. Convince ABC to air the show in a normal time slot

Re: Option #5

It seems that more and more the networks are learning what Ted Turner
knew more than a quarter-century ago:

Air your programs on a schedule that doesn't "fit" with the other
networks.

Remember WTBS (and before that, WTCG) aired programs offset by 5
minutes, so if you watched one of them you would be "out of sync" and
if you wanted to switch to a "normal" network you would either lose
some of the program or be in for 10 minutes of commercials.

The Gods help us if this trend gets out of hand, as each network
tries to "lock us in", whether we are watching live or recording.

Remember that "option 4" is not available to the vast majority of the
DVR-using public, option 1 is within the control of the networks and
the remaining options cost programming.

Brian Wood
beww [at] beww

knowledgejunkie at gmail

Re: Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording? [In reply to]

On 16/04/07, Justin <jd2666+mythtvlist [at] gmail> wrote:
> I've noticed that same thing with Grey's Anatomy.
> The problem for me is that Grey's Anatomy runs from 9:00 to 10:01 so the
> scheduler has Grey's Anatomy take up the time slots for 9:00 and 10:00.
> That only ways I've found to workaround this problem are:
> 1. Watch a later showing the next day
> 2. Remove the last minute from Grey's Anatomy
> 3. Remove the first minute of a 10:00 show
> 4. Buy a third tuner
> 5. Convince ABC to air the show in a normal time slot
> So far I've done ways 1 and 2.

I've been noticing similar issues with some UK channels - some
channels start 1 minute before the hour/half hour timeslot and require
suitable recording schedule adjustments, and others (I've experienced
CH4 doing this) can run late, so if you have a consecutive recording
on another channel, the end can be dropped. Again, adding overtime to
the rule can solve this if you have multiple tuners.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/

peter at bowyer

Re: Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording? [In reply to]

On 16/04/07, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 16/04/07, Justin <jd2666+mythtvlist [at] gmail> wrote:
> > I've noticed that same thing with Grey's Anatomy.
> > The problem for me is that Grey's Anatomy runs from 9:00 to 10:01 so the
> > scheduler has Grey's Anatomy take up the time slots for 9:00 and 10:00.
> > That only ways I've found to workaround this problem are:
> > 1. Watch a later showing the next day
> > 2. Remove the last minute from Grey's Anatomy
> > 3. Remove the first minute of a 10:00 show
> > 4. Buy a third tuner
> > 5. Convince ABC to air the show in a normal time slot
> > So far I've done ways 1 and 2.
>
> I've been noticing similar issues with some UK channels - some
> channels start 1 minute before the hour/half hour timeslot and require
> suitable recording schedule adjustments, and others (I've experienced
> CH4 doing this) can run late, so if you have a consecutive recording
> on another channel, the end can be dropped. Again, adding overtime to
> the rule can solve this if you have multiple tuners.

BBC2 has always been a culprit - ever since the bad old days of
non-PDC VideoPlus. If you ever record University Challenge, you'll
know what I mean....

(rushes off to put a 2-minute 'end late' on, don't want to miss the
end of tonght's final...)

Peter
--
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter [at] bowyer

knowledgejunkie at gmail

Re: Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording? [In reply to]

On 16/04/07, Peter Bowyer <peter [at] bowyer> wrote:
> BBC2 has always been a culprit - ever since the bad old days of
> non-PDC VideoPlus. If you ever record University Challenge, you'll
> know what I mean....

Not since my now-wife was on it in the 90's...

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/

brian at interlinx

Re: Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording? [In reply to]

On Sun, 2007-15-04 at 21:18 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:

> Air your programs on a schedule that doesn't "fit" with the other
> networks.

And DVRs (like myth) can combat that with "soft" conflict resolution.

What's needed is an algorithm that was allowed to "sacrifice" some
allowable, configurable, portion of overlap in programs in favour of the
more highly prioritized program would be in order.

i.e. if only one tuner is available and two programs overlap by 3
minutes (this value should be configurable) or less, give the program
with the higher priority the 3 minutes, but start recording the
overlapping program as soon as the higher priority program stops. In
the absence of priorities to decide (i.e. both at the same priority
level) some configurable policy can be chosen:

If a program overlap occurs with equal priorities:
* always record to the end of the program
* always record the start of a program

Stick that to the networks who want to play timeslot games.

b.

Brian J. Murrell
Attachments: signature.asc (0.18 KB)