Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

how to disable the delete recording option ?

siegfried.pietralla at eds

how to disable the delete recording option ?

hi all,

I've had someone accidentally delete some recordings when they finished
watching them ( but before I had a chance to watch them ). so I'm
wondering, what ideas do people have to disable delete functionality in
mythtv. I don't think I actually need to be able to delete recordings as
such since expiration will eventually get rid of things anyway.

the only option I've thought of so far is to write a wrapper for 'rm' so
that it won't do anything if run as the 'mythtv' user, but that would
probably still delete the database entries and just leave the recording
file lying around ( which I'd then have to find to watch it and manually
delete ). and it would mess up other things like expiration and
transcoding. please note that I'm running knoppmyth so I'm not able to
amend and recompile the source ( otherwise I would just comment out the
relevant lines in the code ).

thanx.

myth at dermanouelian

Re: how to disable the delete recording option ? [In reply to]

On Apr 3, 2007, at 3:20 PM, Pietralla, Siegfried P wrote:

> hi all,
>
> I've had someone accidentally delete some recordings when they
> finished watching them ( but before I had a chance to watch them ).
> so I'm wondering, what ideas do people have to disable delete
> functionality in mythtv. I don't think I actually need to be able
> to delete recordings as such since expiration will eventually get
> rid of things anyway.
>
> the only option I've thought of so far is to write a wrapper for
> 'rm' so that it won't do anything if run as the 'mythtv' user, but
> that would probably still delete the database entries and just
> leave the recording file lying around ( which Id then have to find
> to watch it and manually delete ). and it would mess up other
> things like expiration and transcoding. please note that I'm
> running knoppmyth so I'm not able to amend and recompile the source
> ( otherwise I would just comment out the relevant lines in the code ).
>
> thanx.
Actually, the correct way to avoid this is to have "delete" move the
recording to a "deleted" recording group and have those recordings
expire before anything else. That way you can get it back if you
catch it before it expires. At least, in my opinion that would be the
correct way. I know it's been discussed recently and perhaps someone
is working on it?

barbex at gmail

Re: how to disable the delete recording option ? [In reply to]

On 4/4/07, Brad DerManouelian <myth [at] dermanouelian> wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2007, at 3:20 PM, Pietralla, Siegfried P wrote:
>

> hi all,
>
> I've had someone accidentally delete some recordings when they finished
> watching them ( but before I had a chance to watch them ). so I'm wondering,
> what ideas do people have to disable delete functionality in mythtv. I don't
> think I actually need to be able to delete recordings as such since
> expiration will eventually get rid of things anyway.

Wouldn't it be easier just to delete the button in the Theme
somewhere? Then bind the delete option to an unusual key and your
recordings should be somewhat safer.

roo.watt at gmail

Re: how to disable the delete recording option ? [In reply to]

On 04/04/07, Pietralla, Siegfried P <siegfried.pietralla [at] eds> wrote:

> hi all,
>
> I've had someone accidentally delete some recordings when they finished
> watching them ( but before I had a chance to watch them ). so I'm wondering,
> what ideas do people have to disable delete functionality in mythtv. I don't
> think I actually need to be able to delete recordings as such since
> expiration will eventually get rid of things anyway.

I had have been thinking about this as well, in Australia ABC broadcast a
lot of music specials (that can't be got anywhere else) that I like to keep
in my watch recordings.

What I would like is to be able do is:
- Mark a recorded program as "read only", removing the delete options from
the OSD and the info menu on watch recordings
- Possibly to be able to schedule the recordings as "read only"

Roo

ross.campbell at gmail

Re: how to disable the delete recording option ? [In reply to]

On 4/3/07, Pietralla, Siegfried P <siegfried.pietralla [at] eds> wrote:
> what ideas do people have to disable delete functionality in mythtv.

nuvexport "nodelete" recordings and put them into mythvideo?

I wouldn't mind an additional attribute for recordings to say "do not
delete" - I was thinking simple file permissions could be used, but
since many run their frontends as root... well... that won't work.

Or perhaps, there could be a mythfrontend (and mythweb?) setting for
default privileges. For me, I can accept the risk of anyone with my
remote control in hand having the ability to "mess up" my mythtv by
deleting content, mucking with setup, etc. I could see however cases
where it would be desirable to have mythfrontend operate in a
"read-only" mode where mythtv content and settings could only be
accessed but not modified/deleted and then having a sort of "sudo"
ability to enter a code/password to do anything that changes settings
or removes content.

Of course, I would want that to be an option - not the default.

-Ross

ajlill at ajlc

Re: how to disable the delete recording option ? [In reply to]

"Ross Campbell" <ross.campbell [at] gmail> writes:

> On 4/3/07, Pietralla, Siegfried P <siegfried.pietralla [at] eds> wrote:
>> what ideas do people have to disable delete functionality in mythtv.
>
> nuvexport "nodelete" recordings and put them into mythvideo?
>
> I wouldn't mind an additional attribute for recordings to say "do not
> delete" - I was thinking simple file permissions could be used, but
> since many run their frontends as root... well... that won't work.

chattr +i filename

can't be removed, or renamed, even by root. Good on any filesytem that
supports extended POSIX attributes. You may need to install the 'attr'
package to get the commands.

I'm not sure if it's still true, but I think that if the file can't be
removed, the database entries are left alone. That was causing a
problem a while back where you couldn't delete a program if the file
got removed, so it might have been fixed.

--
Tony Lill, Tony.Lill [at] AJLC
President, A. J. Lill Consultants fax/data (519) 650 3571

Understatement of the century:
"Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing a (free) operating
system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for
386(486) AT clones"

- Linus Torvalds, August 1991

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: how to disable the delete recording option ? [In reply to]

On 04/04/2007 06:11 PM, Tony Lill wrote:
> I'm not sure if it's still true, but I think that if the file can't be
> removed, the database entries are left alone.

Yes.

> That was causing a
> problem a while back where you couldn't delete a program if the file
> got removed, so it might have been fixed.

It would hardly be a fix to delete from the database when the file was
still there (orphan file)--just as vice versa (orphan database entry)
would be bad.

It was fixed so that if the file /doesn't exist/ you can tell it to
delete from the DB, anyway. If the file's there, but undeletable, it
disappears from the recording list, then it comes back a bit later.

Mike

siegfried.pietralla at eds

Re: how to disable the delete recording option ? [In reply to]

hi all,

just a quick follow up :

when you finish watching a recording, you get prompted on whether to
delete the recording or keep it - this is what was confusing the other
people who use my myth system. that was the basis for my original
question - and too obvious to me for it to be included in my question :)
anyway, i just happened to find a setup option that turns off that
prompt, hence resolving the problem i was actually having.

as suggested, i also tried to un-map the delete key, but it won't let
you have no keys mapped to delete (!).

i also like the chattr idea - thinking about it, it shouldn't be hard to
write a little script to turn this on ( and also off again ) and call it
as a user job. i can see where you can run user jobs when you schedule a
recording ( so you can easily protect new recordings ), but how can you
run a user job after a program has been recorded ? ( so that you can
protect existing recordings and then also later turn of the 'chattr +i'
e.g. the same way you can run comm. flagging and transcoding against any
already recorded file ).

regards.

________________________________

[...]

francesco at fampeeters

Re: how to disable the delete recording option ? [In reply to]

On Tue, April 10, 2007 04:40, Pietralla, Siegfried P wrote:
> hi all,
>
> just a quick follow up :
>
> when you finish watching a recording, you get prompted on whether to
> delete the recording or keep it - this is what was confusing the other
> people who use my myth system. that was the basis for my original
> question - and too obvious to me for it to be included in my question :)
> anyway, i just happened to find a setup option that turns off that
> prompt, hence resolving the problem i was actually having.

It might be nice if you actually mentioned where/what that option is, for
archive reasons, so if someone just *happens* to search before asking
(yeah, I know, a rare phenomenon, but one can always dream!), they'd know
as well...

> as suggested, i also tried to un-map the delete key, but it won't let
> you have no keys mapped to delete (!).

Then map it to something ridiculous...

> i also like the chattr idea - thinking about it, it shouldn't be hard to
> write a little script to turn this on ( and also off again ) and call it
> as a user job. i can see where you can run user jobs when you schedule a
> recording ( so you can easily protect new recordings ), but how can you
> run a user job after a program has been recorded ? ( so that you can
> protect existing recordings and then also later turn of the 'chattr +i'
> e.g. the same way you can run comm. flagging and transcoding against any
> already recorded file ).

IIRC (don't have my mythtv box handy right now) it is possible to run the
userjobs manually as well?...

--
F Peeters
PC-Chips M863G Geode - NVidia 440 - Hauppauge PVR250

roo.watt at gmail

Re: how to disable the delete recording option ? [In reply to]

On 10/04/07, Pietralla, Siegfried P <siegfried.pietralla [at] eds> wrote:

> but how can you run a user job after a program has been recorded ? ( so
> that you can protect existing recordings and then also later turn of the
> 'chattr +i' e.g. the same way you can run comm. flagging and transcoding
> against any already recorded file ).

This is all from memory, so someone correct me if I am wrong...

- Write the script/s to do the un/protect of the recordings
- Define the user job/s in myth-setup that call the appropriate script/s
- Enable user jobs in myth-setup, don't think they are enabled by default
- Edit your recording schedule for the relevant shows to enable the userjobs
to run after recording is complete (in myth-web there is a check box for
this)

HTH,

Roo.

francesco at fampeeters

Re: how to disable the delete recording option ? [In reply to]

On Tue, April 10, 2007 09:30, Roo wrote:
> On 10/04/07, Pietralla, Siegfried P <siegfried.pietralla [at] eds> wrote:
>>
>> but how can you run a user job after a program has been recorded ? ( so
>> that you can protect existing recordings and then also later turn of the
>> 'chattr +i' e.g. the same way you can run comm. flagging and transcoding
>> against any already recorded file ).
>>

> This is all from memory, so someone correct me if I am wrong...
>
> - Write the script/s to do the un/protect of the recordings
> - Define the user job/s in myth-setup that call the appropriate script/s
> - Enable user jobs in myth-setup, don't think they are enabled by default
> - Edit your recording schedule for the relevant shows to enable the
> userjobs
> to run after recording is complete (in myth-web there is a check box for
> this)

What the OP wants is to be able to en/disable the chattr +i from a menu
*after* a show has already been recorded...

He already indicates he knows how to do this in the schedules...

So basically: Can he call the userjobs 1-4 from the GUI somewhere *other*
than the recording schedules?..

Re: how to disable the delete recording option ? [In reply to]

On 10/04/07, F Peeters (MythTV) <francesco [at] fampeeters> wrote:

> On Tue, April 10, 2007 09:30, Roo wrote:
> > On 10/04/07, Pietralla, Siegfried P <siegfried.pietralla [at] eds> wrote:
> >>
> >> but how can you run a user job after a program has been recorded ? (
> so
> >> that you can protect existing recordings and then also later turn of
> the
> >> 'chattr +i' e.g. the same way you can run comm. flagging and
> transcoding
> >> against any already recorded file ).
> >>

> > This is all from memory, so someone correct me if I am wrong...
> >
> > - Write the script/s to do the un/protect of the recordings
> > - Define the user job/s in myth-setup that call the appropriate script/s
> > - Enable user jobs in myth-setup, don't think they are enabled by
> default
> > - Edit your recording schedule for the relevant shows to enable the
> > userjobs
> > to run after recording is complete (in myth-web there is a check box for
> > this)
> >
> What the OP wants is to be able to en/disable the chattr +i from a menu
> *after* a show has already been recorded...
>
> He already indicates he knows how to do this in the schedules...
>
> So basically: Can he call the userjobs 1-4 from the GUI somewhere *other*
> than the recording schedules?..
>
> --
> F Peeters
> PC-Chips M863G Geode - NVidia 440 - Hauppauge PVR250
> Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) - XFCE - MythTV 0.20 - Xine
> Panasonic NV-VHD1 VCR/DVD player case modded to fit it all in...

Sure, I guess I should have read what I was quoting a bit more carefully :)

If you have userjobs setup properly, you can also go into watch recordings
and hit "i" I think and then go into "Job Options" you can then select the
user configued jobs to run from here.

Check the doco to see what the macros are that can be used for passing
things like filename as an argument to the actual script being called.

Cheers,

Roo

siegfried.pietralla at eds

Re: how to disable the delete recording option ? [In reply to]

________________________________

On 10/04/07, F Peeters (MythTV) <francesco [at] fampeeters> wrote:

On Tue, April 10, 2007 09:30, Roo wrote:
> On 10/04/07, Pietralla, Siegfried P
<siegfried.pietralla [at] eds> wrote:

>> but how can you run a user job after a program has been
recorded ? ( so
>> that you can protect existing recordings and then also later
turn of the
>> 'chattr +i' e.g. the same way you can run comm. flagging and
transcoding
>> against any already recorded file ).
>>

> This is all from memory, so someone correct me if I am
wrong...

> - Write the script/s to do the un/protect of the recordings
> - Define the user job/s in myth-setup that call the
appropriate script/s
> - Enable user jobs in myth-setup, don't think they are
enabled by default
> - Edit your recording schedule for the relevant shows to
enable the
> userjobs
> to run after recording is complete (in myth-web there is a
check box for
> this)

What the OP wants is to be able to en/disable the chattr +i from
a menu
*after* a show has already been recorded...

He already indicates he knows how to do this in the schedules...

So basically: Can he call the userjobs 1-4 from the GUI
somewhere *other*
than the recording schedules?..

--
F Peeters
PC-Chips M863G Geode - NVidia 440 - Hauppauge PVR250
Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) - XFCE - MythTV 0.20 - Xine
Panasonic NV-VHD1 VCR/DVD player case modded to fit it all
in...

Sure, I guess I should have read what I was quoting a bit more carefully
:)

If you have userjobs setup properly, you can also go into watch
recordings and hit "i" I think and then go into "Job Options" you can
then select the user configued jobs to run from here.

Check the doco to see what the macros are that can be used for passing
things like filename as an argument to the actual script being called.

Cheers,

Roo

you're right - it seems the 'job options' menu is dynamic, so when you
don't have any user jobs defined then they don't show up in the 'job
options' menu ( that's why i didn't see a way to run them ).

as far as setting up the job goes, you don't even need to create a
script. i just ran the following in the database ( i didn't find a front
end for creating user jobs - but i now see from the above response that
you can use 'mythtv-setup' -> 'general' ) :

update settings set data='sudo /usr/bin/chattr +i %DIR%/%FILE%' where
value='userjob1';
update settings set data='prevent deletion' where value='userjobdesc1';
update settings set data='1' where value='joballowuserjob1';

and of course a job to allow deletion :

update settings set data='sudo /usr/bin/chattr -i %DIR%/%FILE%' where
value='userjob2';
update settings set data='allow deletion' where value='userjobdesc2';
update settings set data='1' where value='joballowuserjob2';

note - it looks like you need special privileges to run 'chattr' as a
non-root user. i am running knoppmyth, so i added ',/usr/bin/chattr' to
the end of the 'mythtv' line in the file '/etc/sudoers'.

so now i'm done - i have a simple way to protect selected recordings
from deletion, and all done through the standard interface without the
need for any scripting or application changes. as a bonus, this also
protects me from stupid mistakes when using the command line.

thank you all.

siegfried.pietralla at eds

Re: how to disable the delete recording option ? [In reply to]

certainly :

the option 'prompt at end of recording' ( description : if set, a menu
will be displayed allowing you to delete the recording when it has
finished playing ) can be found here :

utilities/setup -> setup -> tv settings -> playback -> ( second screen )

>> as suggested, i also tried to un-map the delete key, but it won't let
>> you have no keys mapped to delete (!).
>
>Then map it to something ridiculous...

I did - I just found it odd that you are specifically not allowed to
un-map it.

regards.

mythtv at guilfoos

Re: how to disable the delete recording option ? [In reply to]

Pietralla, Siegfried P wrote:
> so now i'm done - i have a simple way to protect selected recordings
> from deletion, and all done through the standard interface without the
> need for any scripting or application changes. as a bonus, this also
> protects me from stupid mistakes when using the command line.

This is pretty clever. I haven't tested it yet, but it looks promising
enough that I SSH'd into my network from work and set everything up.
Even wrote up a page on the wiki about this, as it seems like a really
useful hack.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Protect_Recordings_From_Deletion

One question I have... based on reading the documentation for "chattr"
(quoted in the wiki), it seems like this might cause transcoding to go a
little wonky. I'll test it out myself tonight, but looking at the
source (mythtv/programs/mythtranscode/main.cpp) it looks like it'd
transcode fine, but then have an error a) renaming the old file to
"filename.old" and then b) deleting "filename.old" (since it doesn't
exist). So it looks like it'd leave an orphan file (the original) and
successfully update the DB to point to the new .nuv file. If the
original recording is .nuv, then I'm not sure what it'd do - it looks
like you'd have your original recording (sans cutlist/bookmarks) and the
transcoded file orphaned out on the file system.

It seems like you could fix any problems by wrapping "mythtranscode" in
a script that calls "lsattr" to check if "i" is set, unsets it if
necessary, transcodes the file, then *resets* the protection (again, if
necessary). Or perhaps simpler, modify mythtranscode to handle that
itself. If it gets to that, it's probably worth modifying MythTV to do
the protection itself, rather than utilizing User Jobs - and maybe even
to make it a flag in the database, rather than twiddling bits at the
filesystem level.

brian.vermilion at gmail

Re: how to disable the delete recording option ? [In reply to]

One thing i don't think i have ever seen mentioned anywhere, in regard to
this topic and other similar topics. Is the idea of Myth "Users". Each user
has a different account with differing levels of control and access to
features and shows. Account for the kids maybe where you can't delete
anything or only delete there own shows that they have "subscribed"/Set to
Record. I think that if there was user accounts with the ability each user
to "subscribe" to the shows they want to watch. After they are done
watching they can delete it from there Watch Recordings but it will still be
available for those users who have "subscribed" and haven't watch the
program yet. I think this would resolve the problem of someone deleting a
recording before someone else got to watch it. I know others must run into
this problem in multi users situations roommates or kids. Maybe later i'll
write a long more detailed kind response of what i had in my head. But I
think this is a bit of the general idea and maybe will give others some
ideas. I'd poke around in the code but i have rather limited programming
skills very basic C/C++ and Motorola 68k assembly. Though maybe this isn't
possible without a major restructure of myth's basic code
.
Thank you to everyone in our wonderful Myth Community.

myth at dermanouelian

Re: how to disable the delete recording option ? [In reply to]

On Apr 11, 2007, at 8:29 PM, Brian Vermilion wrote:

> One thing i don't think i have ever seen mentioned anywhere, in
> regard to this topic and other similar topics. Is the idea of Myth
> "Users". Each user has a different account with differing levels of
> control and access to features and shows. Account for the kids
> maybe where you can't delete anything or only delete there own
> shows that they have "subscribed"/Set to Record. I think that if
> there was user accounts with the ability each user to "subscribe"
> to the shows they want to watch. After they are done watching they
> can delete it from there Watch Recordings but it will still be
> available for those users who have "subscribed" and haven't watch
> the program yet. I think this would resolve the problem of someone
> deleting a recording before someone else got to watch it. I know
> others must run into this problem in multi users situations
> roommates or kids. Maybe later i'll write a long more detailed kind
> response of what i had in my head. But I think this is a bit of the
> general idea and maybe will give others some ideas. I'd poke around
> in the code but i have rather limited programming skills very basic
> C/C++ and Motorola 68k assembly. Though maybe this isn't possible
> without a major restructure of myth's basic code
> .
> Thank you to everyone in our wonderful Myth Community.

This is already in the feature wishlist.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Feature_Wishlist_%
28Backend_Addons%29#Parental_controls_.2F_User_permissions
or
http://tinyurl.com/3al4c2

ajlill at ajlc

Re: how to disable the delete recording option ? [In reply to]

Brian Guilfoos <mythtv [at] guilfoos> writes:

> Pietralla, Siegfried P wrote:
> One question I have... based on reading the documentation for "chattr"
> (quoted in the wiki), it seems like this might cause transcoding to go a
> little wonky. I'll test it out myself tonight, but looking at the

I'm pretty sure that com-flagging and transcoding are run before any
user jobs, so you should only run into trouble if you transcode by
hand and forget to turn off the protection first.
--
Tony Lill, Tony.Lill [at] AJLC
President, A. J. Lill Consultants fax/data (519) 650 3571
539 Grand Valley Dr., Cambridge, Ont. N3H 2S2 (519) 241 2461
--------------- http://www.ajlc.waterloo.on.ca/ ----------------

Understatement of the century:
"Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing a (free) operating
system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for
386(486) AT clones"

- Linus Torvalds, August 1991

cpinkham at bc2va

Re: how to disable the delete recording option ? [In reply to]

* On Fri Apr 13, 2007 at 08:52:47PM -0400, Tony Lill wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that com-flagging and transcoding are run before any
> user jobs, so you should only run into trouble if you transcode by
> hand and forget to turn off the protection first.

This is correct and the 4 user jobs are run in order as well, so if
you define a User Job #1 and #2, then #1 will always get run before
#2.

There is an item on my TODO list to allow the user to prioritize
jobs, so they could change this order, but that feature is quite a
ways down my list so don't expect to see it anytime soon. :) The
default would still be to execute in the current order.

--
Chris