Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

HDHomeRun and comcast digital cable. Will it work? Channels?

william_munson at bellsouth

Mar 14, 2007, 2:25 PM

HDHomeRun and comcast digital cable. Will it work? Channels?

I am getting ready to buy a HD capture device and the HDHomeRun looks
like a good choice. The big unknown is if it will work with this crappy
Comcast cable network. The comcast web site says that their hd settop
box will not receive hd unless I pay the extra premium which makes me
wonder if the signal is sent encripted or just their box needs
authorization. Thus the subject line.... Anyone have experience with
comcast?

TIA,
Bill

alamar at gmail

Mar 14, 2007, 2:35 PM

Re: HDHomeRun and comcast digital cable. Will it work? Channels? [In reply to]

On 3/14/07, William Munson <william_munson [at] bellsouth> wrote:
> I am getting ready to buy a HD capture device and the HDHomeRun looks
> like a good choice. The big unknown is if it will work with this crappy
> Comcast cable network. The comcast web site says that their hd settop
> box will not receive hd unless I pay the extra premium which makes me
> wonder if the signal is sent encripted or just their box needs
> authorization. Thus the subject line.... Anyone have experience with
> comcast?
>
> TIA,
> Bill

That'll depend on your location. I've got Comcast now (was Adelphia),
and the public (OTA) stations are unencrypted. The stations I could
tune w/ my pcHDTV3000 were: ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS. But, this seems
to be dependant on where you live.

I believe there's a list of HD-over-cable channels over at avsforums.
Do a search on this list (via gossamer-threads) and I'm sure you'll
find the reference.

--PhillW

fsquires at gmail

Mar 14, 2007, 3:07 PM

Re: HDHomeRun and comcast digital cable. Will it work? Channels? [In reply to]

On 3/14/07, William Munson <william_munson [at] bellsouth> wrote:
> I am getting ready to buy a HD capture device and the HDHomeRun looks
> like a good choice. The big unknown is if it will work with this crappy
> Comcast cable network. The comcast web site says that their hd settop
> box will not receive hd unless I pay the extra premium which makes me
> wonder if the signal is sent encripted or just their box needs
> authorization. Thus the subject line.... Anyone have experience with
> comcast?

They have a physical device on the lines that blocks the frequencies
for network access. So, if it's anything like a cable modem you won't
be able to pick them up.

--
It was supposed to be so Easy.

tim.berger at gmail

Mar 14, 2007, 3:25 PM

Re: HDHomeRun and comcast digital cable. Will it work? Channels? [In reply to]

On 3/14/07, William Munson <william_munson [at] bellsouth> wrote:

> I am getting ready to buy a HD capture device and the HDHomeRun looks
> like a good choice. The big unknown is if it will work with this crappy
> Comcast cable network. The comcast web site says that their hd settop
> box will not receive hd unless I pay the extra premium which makes me
> wonder if the signal is sent encripted or just their box needs
> authorization. Thus the subject line.... Anyone have experience with
> comcast?

Some channels may indeed be encrypted (like discovery HD) but I've found a
large number of channels in the clear, including discovery SD). I'm in the
San Jose, CA area. I got HDHR mostly because some channels just don't come
in well over my pvr-250's. They're beautiful on the HDHR. The main pain
with using the home run is they (comcast) does not send a useful channel
identifier for many channels so you won't know what channel 108#0 is until
you compare it to one of your analog channels then go into the myth channel
editor to make adjustments. HD network channels come in great. They are
not encrypted in my area.

TIA,
> Bill

-Tim