Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

MythTV/Dish Network Setup

pdone at gmu

Jan 1, 2007, 4:54 AM

MythTV/Dish Network Setup

I am new to mythTV and would like to use it to replace a second
television (not HD) connected to a Dish Network receiver. I am using a
Hauppauge 150 and remove the coax cable that goes directly into the TV
and replace this into the capture card. I do not get video and think it
is a configuration problem.
Does anybody have experience with this or resources I can use to make
this work?
Thanks, Paul

michael.tiller at gmail

Jan 1, 2007, 7:17 AM

Re: MythTV/Dish Network Setup [In reply to]

A few things to check. First, the 150 has several inputs so you need to
make sure you are using the Tuner input. As I recall, on my system the
PVR-150 claims (I think) to have inputs tht it doesn't physically have. So
you might see multiple tuner inputs even if there is only one. Finally,
make sure you are tuning the right channel. Find out what channel the Dish
Network box is modulating the signal onto and be sure to tune that on the
PVR-150 side.

Another thing to keep in mind is that people say you'll get better reception
if you grab the signal through the S-Video output from your Dish box. In
other words, use an S-Video cable to connect the S-Video jack on the Dish
Network box to the S-Video jack on the the PVR-150. If you do this, it is
important to understand that the cable does not carry audio so you also need
to connect the audio out from the Dish Network box to the line in audio
connector on the PC. There is also some configuration required in Myth to
select the appropriate audio device to capture from and probably some other
"desktop" settings to be made as well.

--
Mike

On 1/1/07, Paul M Done <pdone [at] gmu> wrote:

> I am new to mythTV and would like to use it to replace a second
> television (not HD) connected to a Dish Network receiver. I am using a
> Hauppauge 150 and remove the coax cable that goes directly into the TV
> and replace this into the capture card. I do not get video and think it
> is a configuration problem.
> Does anybody have experience with this or resources I can use to make
> this work?
> Thanks, Paul

beww at beww

Jan 1, 2007, 7:47 AM

Re: MythTV/Dish Network Setup [In reply to]

On Jan 1, 2007, at 5:54 AM, Paul M Done wrote:

> I am new to mythTV and would like to use it to replace a second
> television (not HD) connected to a Dish Network receiver. I am using a
> Hauppauge 150 and remove the coax cable that goes directly into the TV
> and replace this into the capture card. I do not get video and
> think it
> is a configuration problem.
> Does anybody have experience with this or resources I can use to make
> this work?
> Thanks, Paul

I guess you are new, and Happy New year :-)

Well first, Myth does not "replace" a TV set, but I know what you
mean :-)

From what you describe you are trying to get the RF output of a DISH
receiver into your PVR card. Given that scenario you would have to
set your card to receive on channel 2/3 all the time.

But that's not the best way to connect a satellite receiver. You
should use either the composite or the S-Video and the baseband
audio. (as was said earlier by Michael Tiller).

But you will still have to tune the receiver using an IR blaster of
some sort. Some DirecTV receivers can be serially controlled, but all
DISH receivers require IR control (or RF, on the second channel of
the dual-mode receivers).

The best resources are the most obvious:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

You don't mention what distro, Myth version etc. you are using. Most
problems with Myth turn out to be with the underlying OS or drivers
and not really Myth itself. Best bet is to prove out the hardware
using more basic software and then attempt a Myth installation.

You might also consider one of the all-in-ones like MythDora or
KnoppMyth, if you are new to Linux as well as Myth.

Basically you have a lot of reading ahead in the New Year, I envy
you :-)

rranjan7 at gmail

Jan 1, 2007, 8:48 AM

Re: MythTV/Dish Network Setup [In reply to]

I use my MythTV box with Direct TV. I use S Video output from my Dish
Network Receiver D10 into the S Video input of my PVR 250 in my myth box. I
have another audio cable connecting my PVR audio input to the audio output
of D10 receiver.

Make sure to use S Video option in the MythTV setup which is set to Tuner by
default.

On 1/1/07, Brian Wood <beww [at] beww> wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2007, at 5:54 AM, Paul M Done wrote:
>
> > I am new to mythTV and would like to use it to replace a second
> > television (not HD) connected to a Dish Network receiver. I am using a
> > Hauppauge 150 and remove the coax cable that goes directly into the TV
> > and replace this into the capture card. I do not get video and
> > think it
> > is a configuration problem.
> > Does anybody have experience with this or resources I can use to make
> > this work?
> > Thanks, Paul
>
> I guess you are new, and Happy New year :-)
>
> Well first, Myth does not "replace" a TV set, but I know what you
> mean :-)
>
> From what you describe you are trying to get the RF output of a DISH
> receiver into your PVR card. Given that scenario you would have to
> set your card to receive on channel 2/3 all the time.
>
> But that's not the best way to connect a satellite receiver. You
> should use either the composite or the S-Video and the baseband
> audio. (as was said earlier by Michael Tiller).
>
> But you will still have to tune the receiver using an IR blaster of
> some sort. Some DirecTV receivers can be serially controlled, but all
> DISH receivers require IR control (or RF, on the second channel of
> the dual-mode receivers).
>
> The best resources are the most obvious:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
>
> You don't mention what distro, Myth version etc. you are using. Most
> problems with Myth turn out to be with the underlying OS or drivers
> and not really Myth itself. Best bet is to prove out the hardware
> using more basic software and then attempt a Myth installation.
>
> You might also consider one of the all-in-ones like MythDora or
> KnoppMyth, if you are new to Linux as well as Myth.
>
> Basically you have a lot of reading ahead in the New Year, I envy
> you :-)

beww at beww

Jan 1, 2007, 11:17 AM

Re: MythTV/Dish Network Setup [In reply to]

On Jan 1, 2007, at 9:48 AM, Rajiv Ranjan wrote:

> I use my MythTV box with Direct TV. I use S Video output from my
> Dish Network Receiver D10 into the S Video input of my PVR 250 in
> my myth box. I have another audio cable connecting my PVR audio
> input to the audio output of D10 receiver.
>
> Make sure to use S Video option in the MythTV setup which is set to
> Tuner by default.

I have no problems getting SD off my DISH receiver, using the S-Video
connection as well.

The OP was asking about HD, which is a whole different matter. I
still have to use my DISH receiver/DVR to get that.

Frankly there just isn't all that much HD content available, even on
the satellite. I'm not a sports fan, and Hogan's Heroes is no funnier
in HD than SD, and I can only take Letterman for so long :-)

I once found myself watching an HD program simply because it *was*
HD, and that's ridiculous, so I don't do it anymore. It's like
watching a color program in the 1960s simply because it *was* in
color. Gilligan's Island did not get any better with the transition
to color :-)

Gleason and Marx will continue to entertain despite the lack of
chroma or resolution. Given a choice between content and technology I
will always choose the former.

michael.tiller at gmail

Jan 1, 2007, 2:19 PM

Re: MythTV/Dish Network Setup [In reply to]

On 1/1/07, Brian Wood <beww [at] beww> wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2007, at 9:48 AM, Rajiv Ranjan wrote:
>
> > I use my MythTV box with Direct TV. I use S Video output from my
> > Dish Network Receiver D10 into the S Video input of my PVR 250 in
> > my myth box. I have another audio cable connecting my PVR audio
> > input to the audio output of D10 receiver.
> >
> > Make sure to use S Video option in the MythTV setup which is set to
> > Tuner by default.
> >

> I have no problems getting SD off my DISH receiver, using the S-Video
> connection as well.
>
> The OP was asking about HD, which is a whole different matter. I
> still have to use my DISH receiver/DVR to get that.

Ah...I don't think he was. :-)

I am new to mythTV and would like to use it to replace a second
television (not HD) connected to a Dish Network receiver.

--
Mike

beww at beww

Jan 1, 2007, 2:27 PM

Re: MythTV/Dish Network Setup [In reply to]

On Jan 1, 2007, at 3:19 PM, Michael Tiller wrote:

> The OP was asking about HD, which is a whole different matter. I
> still have to use my DISH receiver/DVR to get that.
>
> Ah...I don't think he was. :-)

Right you are, sorry about that.

SD from a DISH receiver is a fairly standard setup, the only thing I
had some trouble with was getting an IR blaster working to control
the receiver, but that's not too hard.