Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

My experience with the ratpoison window manager

ylee at pobox

Nov 7, 2006, 9:02 PM

My experience with the ratpoison window manager

Richard Bronosky <mythtv [at] bronosky> says:
> I'm thinking that Ion3 is an obvious choice for a WM on a set top
> box. There really is no point in a desktop or unused space on a
> Television screen.

I completely agree. That's why I use Ratpoison
(<URL:http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/>), the window manager without
any visible windows! Rather, each window takes up the full screen,
with no decorations of any kind.

My ~/.ratpoisonrc file:

escape F12
deffont *-lucidatypewriter-*-*-*-*-34-* # I have a 47" LCD, you see
bind c exec rxvt -fn "*-lucidatypewriter-*-*-*-*-34-*"
bind Left prev
bind Right next

My ~/.Xclients and ~/.Xclients-ratpoison files:

#!/bin/sh

exec ~/.Xclients-ratpoison

---------------

#!/bin/sh

[Snipped]

ratpoison &
urxvt -fn "*-lucidatypewriter-*-*-*-*-34-*" -sl 65535 \
-e nice -n 19 tail -f /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log &
urxvt -fn "*-lucidatypewriter-*-*-*-*-34-*" -sl 65535 \
-e mythfrontend -v playback

I have bound one of the editable buttons on my MX-500 remote control
to F12. This way, I can push that button then left or right on the
directional pad to flip between windows (I have one set up to display
the contents of mythbackend.log, and another to show the console
output from mythfrontend).

This setup has worked perfectly for ten months. The only oddity is
that sometimes, when mythfrontend pops up that little window that says
that for one reason or another it can't talk to mythbackend, I can't
click the "Ok" button with my remote. I'm not sure if this is a focus
issue because this only happens some of the time the little window
appears. In such a case I simply restart mythfrontend with the remote
button I've wired to call the following script if pushed twice within
three seconds' time (note that this is an improved version of what
appears at
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/208553#208553>):

#!/bin/bash
PROG=mythfrontend
STATUS=`ps -e | grep $PROG | grep -v grep | wc -l | awk '{print $1}'`

if [ `echo $DISPLAY | grep -c ":0"` -ge 1 ]
then
if [ $STATUS -eq 0 ]
then
( $PROG & )
else

if [ -a /tmp/mythpowerbutton-off ]
then
touch /tmp/mythpowerbutton-on;
exit;
else
touch /tmp/mythpowerbutton-off;
sleep 3;
if [ -a /tmp/mythpowerbutton-on ]
then
rm -rf /tmp/mythpowerbutton-o* && killall $PROG
fi
rm -rf /tmp/mythpowerbutton-o*
fi
rm -rf /tmp/mythpowerbutton-o*
fi
fi
exit 0

Yeechang, who unsurprisingly also uses GNU screen
--
Yeechang Lee <ylee [at] pobox> | +1 650 776 7763 | San Francisco CA US

myth at dermanouelian

Nov 7, 2006, 7:46 PM

Re: My experience with the ratpoison window manager [In reply to]

On Nov 8, 2006, at 8:07 AM, stan [at] stanandliz wrote:

> Sorry to sound confused, but why do you need a window manager at all?
>
> I have a boot script that runs the following command on startup:
>
> startx /usr/bin/mythfrontend &

Without a window manager many people end up with focus issues when
they run external programs like xine to view movies or mame to play
games - specifically, lirc stops responding to the front application.
If you only use myth frontend and its internal player, you probably
don't need it.

stan at stanandliz

Nov 8, 2006, 4:25 AM

Re: My experience with the ratpoison window manager [In reply to]

maillists at awcconsulting

Nov 8, 2006, 4:46 AM

Re: My experience with the ratpoison window manager [In reply to]

Uh, I think you are most likely using some window manager. While your
command will just start your application, you are still using the
underlying window manager installed on your system to display MythTV.
(Be it gnome, kde, etc.)

The idea of choosing what window manager to use is to create a smaller
faster OS footprint. gnome and kde are very large window managers that
load a lot of programs in the background. By choosing a different, more
compact, windows manager, you can create a machine that run Myth more
efficiently and/or on older hardware.

For my system, if I ran your command, it would still run in gnome as
that is the window manager that X is configured to utilize.

Cheers.

stan [at] stanandliz wrote:
> Sorry to sound confused, but why do you need a window manager at all?
>
> I have a boot script that runs the following command on startup:
>
> startx /usr/bin/mythfrontend &

babyfly at gmx

Nov 8, 2006, 5:13 AM

Re: My experience with the ratpoison window manager [In reply to]

stan [at] stanandliz schrieb:
> Sorry to sound confused, but why do you need a window manager at all?
>
> I have a boot script that runs the following command on startup:
>
> startx /usr/bin/mythfrontend &

Hi,

someone will kill me for this, but im running "twm" on my box :-)
Yes i now, im ugly but it works so far. Only thing is after first
startup you see the window label on the mythfrontend window.
But after watching LiveTv the first time its away, so its not that
anoying to not life with it.

Greets
Alex

mtdean at thirdcontact

Nov 8, 2006, 8:25 AM

Re: My experience with the ratpoison window manager [In reply to]

http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_Do_I_really_need_a_window_manager_for_a_frontend_only_box.3F

> If you only use myth frontend and its internal player, you probably
> don't need it.

If you don't run one you shouldn't post /any/ questions about focus
issues or keyboard lockups or "only moves one cell in the program guide"
or ... to this list. See the above link for why you /should/ run a
window manager and why it /never/ hurts to do so (i.e. it doesn't save
resources to run without one).

Mike

stan at stanandliz

Nov 8, 2006, 1:50 PM

Re: My experience with the ratpoison window manager [In reply to]

> On 11/07/2006 10:46 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> On Nov 8, 2006, at 8:07 AM, stan [at] stanandliz wrote:
>>> Sorry to sound confused, but why do you need a window manager at all?
>>>
>>> I have a boot script that runs the following command on startup:
>>>
>>> startx /usr/bin/mythfrontend &
>>>
>> Without a window manager many people end up with focus issues when
>> they run external programs like xine to view movies or mame to play
>> games - specifically, lirc stops responding to the front application.
>
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_Do_I_really_need_a_window_manager_for_a_frontend_only_box.3F
>
>> If you only use myth frontend and its internal player, you probably
>> don't need it.
>
> If you don't run one you shouldn't post /any/ questions about focus
> issues or keyboard lockups or "only moves one cell in the program guide"
> or ... to this list. See the above link for why you /should/ run a
> window manager and why it /never/ hurts to do so (i.e. it doesn't save
> resources to run without one).

Noted - howevever, please bear in mind that I used to run ratpoison but
when I upgraded to 0.20 I didn't bother and everything runs fine. I do use
mplayer and xine for mythvideo and mythdvd and everything runs fine.

Stephen

> Mike

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Nov 8, 2006, 5:46 PM

Re: My experience with the ratpoison window manager [In reply to]

On 11/8/06, stan [at] stanandliz <stan [at] stanandliz> wrote:

> Sorry to sound confused, but why do you need a window manager at all?
>
> I have a boot script that runs the following command on startup:
>
> startx /usr/bin/mythfrontend &

you don't, I do the same, no window manager, on two frontends. the
older xine library did play nice this way, but the new one does.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!

mtdean at thirdcontact

Nov 8, 2006, 7:38 PM

Re: My experience with the ratpoison window manager [In reply to]

On 11/08/2006 08:46 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 11/8/06, stan [at] stanandliz <stan [at] stanandliz> wrote:
>
>> Sorry to sound confused, but why do you need a window manager at all?
>>
>> I have a boot script that runs the following command on startup:
>>
>> startx /usr/bin/mythfrontend &
> you don't, I do the same, no window manager, on two frontends. the
> older xine library did play nice this way, but the new one does.

But the point you're not getting is that there's no reason not to run a
WM. And, since you're encouraging others to run without one, I
sincerely hope you all plan to field any and all focus-related questions
that arise in the future...

Mike