Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

ATI All In Wonder cards with MythTV

mikep at keyinfosys

Mar 6, 2003, 11:48 PM

ATI All In Wonder cards with MythTV

Hi all,
After a few days of struggling with my machine and ATI All In Wonder
card, I found myself at this list looking for error messages and reasons
that my card wasn't recording or playing video. Would some kind soul please
confirm / deny that the All In Wonder cards, specifically an ATI AIW Rage
128 AGP card, that at this point, will not work with MythTV?
In addition, what capture cards are other users having success with?
What's the easiest to setup if I'm going to spend the money on a new card?

Thanks,
-Mike Pflugfelder

acs at hourglassone

Mar 7, 2003, 1:04 AM

Re: ATI All In Wonder cards with MythTV [In reply to]

The short answer is no.. The long answer is a bit more complex.. :)

I've done some digging.. There's an experimental driver that was created
as an offshoot to the gatos project (gatos.sourceforge.net) that
+theoretically+ would work, but there are some implementation specific
details that cause the card to be not the best for mythtv.

I managed to pick up a "TV Master" card, which employs a BT878 chipset
for recording, for about $50 USD, and it's worked beautifully thus far.
I can't recall the brand right now, but I picked it up from
http://www.spectrumperipherals.com.. Even came with a remote, though I
haven't tried to get it working yet.

Cheers,
Aaron

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 22:48, Mike Pflugfelder wrote:
> Hi all,
> After a few days of struggling with my machine and ATI All In Wonder
> card, I found myself at this list looking for error messages and reasons
> that my card wasn't recording or playing video. Would some kind soul please
> confirm / deny that the All In Wonder cards, specifically an ATI AIW Rage
> 128 AGP card, that at this point, will not work with MythTV?
> In addition, what capture cards are other users having success with?
> What's the easiest to setup if I'm going to spend the money on a new card?
>
> Thanks,
> -Mike Pflugfelder
> ----

unit3 at demoni

Mar 7, 2003, 3:23 PM

Re: ATI All In Wonder cards with MythTV [In reply to]

> In addition, what capture cards are other users having success with?
> What's the easiest to setup if I'm going to spend the money on a new card?

I'd say either any bt878 based card (which includes ATI's TV Wonder, and
a schwack of other common cards) or the Matrox G200 (since then you'll
get hardware MJPEG). I'm using a TV Wonder with the bttv drivers right
now, and it works great, and I know you can get bt878 cards for
incredibly cheap.

Graeme

justin-myth at bouncybouncy

Mar 7, 2003, 3:52 PM

Re: ATI All In Wonder cards with MythTV [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 01:48:07AM -0500, Mike Pflugfelder wrote:
> Hi all,
> After a few days of struggling with my machine and ATI All In Wonder
> card, I found myself at this list looking for error messages and reasons
> that my card wasn't recording or playing video. Would some kind soul please
> confirm / deny that the All In Wonder cards, specifically an ATI AIW Rage
> 128 AGP card, that at this point, will not work with MythTV?
> In addition, what capture cards are other users having success with?
> What's the easiest to setup if I'm going to spend the money on a new card?
>
> Thanks,
> -Mike Pflugfelder

I had used an AIW 64 a while ago with xawtv and it worked fine...

You do need the drivers from gatos.sf.net, which will give you a v4l
device for the card. I can't say how well it would work with mythtv as
I had used it before mythtv existed :)

The reason why most people dont like them, is that the capture and tv
out won't work at the same time, so there is little reason to use them.

As other people pointed out the tv wonder works great, even with
btaudio.

--
-Justin

acs at hourglassone

Mar 7, 2003, 4:09 PM

RE: ATI All In Wonder cards with MythTV [In reply to]

xawtv is definitely _NOT_ mythtv, however.. One requires mmap for data
transfer (mythtv), the other does not.. The rather boneheaded feature of
AIW's (of which I am a proud owner) is that in order to capture, you
_have_ to be displaying on-screen (even if it is a 1pixel display
region..) in order to capture video. Yuk.

End rant :)

L8er..
Aaron

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 01:48:07AM -0500, Mike Pflugfelder wrote:
> Hi all,
> After a few days of struggling with my machine and ATI All In
> Wonder card, I found myself at this list looking for error messages
> and reasons that my card wasn't recording or playing video. Would
> some kind soul please confirm / deny that the All In Wonder cards,
> specifically an ATI AIW Rage 128 AGP card, that at this point, will
not work with MythTV?
> In addition, what capture cards are other users having success
> with? What's the easiest to setup if I'm going to spend the money on a

> new card?
>
> Thanks,
> -Mike Pflugfelder

I had used an AIW 64 a while ago with xawtv and it worked fine...

You do need the drivers from gatos.sf.net, which will give you a v4l
device for the card. I can't say how well it would work with mythtv as
I had used it before mythtv existed :)

The reason why most people dont like them, is that the capture and tv
out won't work at the same time, so there is little reason to use them.

As other people pointed out the tv wonder works great, even with
btaudio.

--
-Justin

mikep at keyinfosys

Mar 7, 2003, 4:34 PM

RE: ATI All In Wonder cards with MythTV [In reply to]

Hi Aaron,
Do you have an AIW working with MythTV? If so, could you possibly
share with me what you had to do to make it work?

Thanks,
-Mike Pflugfelder

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 01:48:07AM -0500, Mike Pflugfelder wrote:
> Hi all,
> After a few days of struggling with my machine and ATI All In
> Wonder card, I found myself at this list looking for error messages
> and reasons that my card wasn't recording or playing video. Would
> some kind soul please confirm / deny that the All In Wonder cards,
> specifically an ATI AIW Rage 128 AGP card, that at this point, will
not work with MythTV?
> In addition, what capture cards are other users having success
> with? What's the easiest to setup if I'm going to spend the money on a

> new card?
>
> Thanks,
> -Mike Pflugfelder

I had used an AIW 64 a while ago with xawtv and it worked fine...

You do need the drivers from gatos.sf.net, which will give you a v4l
device for the card. I can't say how well it would work with mythtv as
I had used it before mythtv existed :)

The reason why most people dont like them, is that the capture and tv
out won't work at the same time, so there is little reason to use them.

As other people pointed out the tv wonder works great, even with
btaudio.

--
-Justin

bjm at lvcm

Mar 7, 2003, 5:07 PM

Re: ATI All In Wonder cards with MythTV [In reply to]

Mike Pflugfelder wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
> Do you have an AIW working with MythTV? If so, could you possibly
> share with me what you had to do to make it work?

Mike, no matter how you try to read between the lines, it
won't work. Xawtv will play TV but you cannot record with
it. Avview will record but only if it is showing live TV
while recording but the audio and video are out of sync
on playback (and avview doesn't play it's own recordings,
you need another program for that). MythTV can't use the
GATOS driver for recording. You can use the AIW as your
TVout graphics card with another tuner card for capture
(I have this on two systems).

Unfortunately, you have a very expensive TVout card that
has no overscan adjustment capability. If you bought this
recently enough to return it, do so and get a GeForce2
with TVout and the cheapest bt878 tuner card you can find.

-- bjm