Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Any sample HDTV files available?

dibona at gmail

Oct 2, 2006, 2:42 PM

Any sample HDTV files available?

Hi Group:

My Mythtv system continues to perform well after a few months of use --
before undertaking the effort to upgrade its capability to include HDTV (new
tuner cards, other hardware as needed) I thought it would be useful to load
and play a sample HDTV file with my current configuration. This will help me
identify any issues with the back end, network, front end, monitor, etc.
processing the data within the available bandwidth and provide the HDTV
image I am hoping for.

Using Google I found some 1080p .wav files on the Microsoft site
(interesting, but not the native .mpg format used by Mythtv), and also some
.mpg files elsewhere but would rather a short (~30 second recording, enough
to get past any buffering that takes place) from a Mythtv system (perhaps
part of a TV commercial to avoid copyright issues) to ensure the test file
format is correct.

If you know of a suitable test file currently online please post the link.
If you are willing to record a snippet of a HDTV stream with your MythTV
system please let me know if you can do a http transfer of the captured file
to me through yousendit.com (unless the file size is less than 10MB in which
case you can email it to me directly at this gmail account)

Thanks,

Tony.

bradallenfuller at yahoo

Oct 2, 2006, 2:55 PM

Re: Any sample HDTV files available? [In reply to]

Tony Di Bona wrote:
> Hi Group:
>
> My Mythtv system continues to perform well after a few months of use
> -- before undertaking the effort to upgrade its capability to include
> HDTV (new tuner cards, other hardware as needed) I thought it would be
> useful to load and play a sample HDTV file with my current
> configuration. This will help me identify any issues with the back
> end, network, front end, monitor, etc. processing the data within the
> available bandwidth and provide the HDTV image I am hoping for.
>
> Using Google I found some 1080p .wav files on the Microsoft site
> (interesting, but not the native .mpg format used by Mythtv), and also
> some .mpg files elsewhere but would rather a short (~30 second
> recording, enough to get past any buffering that takes place) from a
> Mythtv system (perhaps part of a TV commercial to avoid copyright
> issues) to ensure the test file format is correct.
>
> If you know of a suitable test file currently online please post the
> link. If you are willing to record a snippet of a HDTV stream with
> your MythTV system please let me know if you can do a http transfer of
> the captured file to me through yousendit.com <http://yousendit.com>
> (unless the file size is less than 10MB in which case you can email it
> to me directly at this gmail account)
http://pchdtv.com/
has one, but it's 1080i.
under the "Downloads" section.

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

mtdean at thirdcontact

Oct 2, 2006, 3:01 PM

Re: Any sample HDTV files available? [In reply to]

On 10/02/06 17:42, Tony Di Bona wrote:

> My Mythtv system continues to perform well after a few months of use
> -- before undertaking the effort to upgrade its capability to include
> HDTV (new tuner cards, other hardware as needed) I thought it would be
> useful to load and play a sample HDTV file with my current configuration.

If those cards you're thinking of getting are the pcHDTV cards, check
out http://pchdtv.com/downloads.html at the bottom of the page. If
you're looking at another brand, check out that vendor's web site for
sample clips. (I'll let you grapple with the ethics of downloading a
test clip from/using bandwidth paid for by a vendor whose product you
have no intention of purchasing,)

Also, beware of the 1080i/p videos you find online from any site that's
not attempting to sell you an HDTV capture card. Many of the videos
(especially movie trailers) are actually 1920x816 (2.35:1) as opposed to
1920x1080 (16:9 = 1.777778:1). They have only 75% the number of video
pixels per frame as a 16:9 1080i/p video. And, to make matters worse,
many are 24 frames/second (fps) as opposed to 30fps (which is what
you'll get on TV--1080i60 is 60 fields/second interlaced, which makes it
30 frames per second, so it's exactly the same number of pixels as
1080p30). So, a 1920x816 video at 24fps has only 60% as many
pixels/second as a 1920x1080 video at 30fps.

Mike

mrlinuxgroups at gmail

Oct 2, 2006, 3:18 PM

Re: Any sample HDTV files available? [In reply to]

On 10/2/06, Tony Di Bona <dibona [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi Group:
>
> My Mythtv system continues to perform well after a few months of use --
> before undertaking the effort to upgrade its capability to include HDTV (new
> tuner cards, other hardware as needed) I thought it would be useful to load
> and play a sample HDTV file with my current configuration. This will help me
> identify any issues with the back end, network, front end, monitor, etc.
> processing the data within the available bandwidth and provide the HDTV
> image I am hoping for.
>
> Using Google I found some 1080p .wav files on the Microsoft site
> (interesting, but not the native .mpg format used by Mythtv), and also some
> .mpg files elsewhere but would rather a short (~30 second recording, enough
> to get past any buffering that takes place) from a Mythtv system (perhaps
> part of a TV commercial to avoid copyright issues) to ensure the test file
> format is correct.
>
> If you know of a suitable test file currently online please post the link.
> If you are willing to record a snippet of a HDTV stream with your MythTV
> system please let me know if you can do a http transfer of the captured file
> to me through yousendit.com (unless the file size is less than 10MB in which
> case you can email it to me directly at this gmail account)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony.

what is yousendit.com? How much data do you want? A 30 minute
television show captured with my air2pc or fusion card is 3gig +- .5gig.

jack

richard at radoeka

Oct 3, 2006, 12:39 AM

Re: Any sample HDTV files available? [In reply to]

http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/Customer/index.aspx

--
Richard

gnassas at mac

Oct 3, 2006, 8:12 AM

Re: Any sample HDTV files available? [In reply to]

On 3-Oct-06, at 3:39 AM, Richard Bos wrote:

> http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/Customer/index.aspx

Which of those is 1080p mpeg2? Not challenging you but all I've ever
seen there is 720p and either h.264 or whatever microsoft is favouring.

There's some 1080p mpeg2 stuff here:

http://www.w6rz.net/

but it looks like a bunch of boring test patterns. I didn't d/l any
of it to try.

Another option would be to take a short 1080p clip and catenate it N
times (mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy) to make an arbitrarily long video.

- George

mrlinuxgroups at gmail

Oct 3, 2006, 8:46 AM

Re: Any sample HDTV files available? [In reply to]

On 10/3/06, George Nassas <gnassas [at] mac> wrote:
> On 3-Oct-06, at 3:39 AM, Richard Bos wrote:
>
> > http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/Customer/index.aspx
>
> Which of those is 1080p mpeg2? Not challenging you but all I've ever
> seen there is 720p and either h.264 or whatever microsoft is favouring.
>
> There's some 1080p mpeg2 stuff here:
>
> http://www.w6rz.net/
>
> but it looks like a bunch of boring test patterns. I didn't d/l any
> of it to try.
>
> Another option would be to take a short 1080p clip and catenate it N
> times (mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy) to make an arbitrarily long video.
>
> - George

not sure why there are two threads now but I put 60 seconds of the
tonight show from nbc sent in OTA HDTV on
http://www.jacksnodgrass.com/test.mpg
it's a 150meg file.

jack

neil.dunbar at pobox

Oct 3, 2006, 8:47 AM

Re: Any sample HDTV files available? [In reply to]

George Nassas wrote:
> On 3-Oct-06, at 3:39 AM, Richard Bos wrote:
>

>> http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/Customer/index.aspx
>>

> Which of those is 1080p mpeg2? Not challenging you but all I've ever
> seen there is 720p and either h.264 or whatever microsoft is favouring.

Try this one (MPEG2 rendering of "Elephant's Dream"):

http://multimediacom.free.fr/HD-DVD/MPEG2/

There are subdirectories for encoding at 6Mbps (a bit lower than HDTV),
12 Mbps (about right) and 24 Mbps (utterly insane). There is also a
similar rendering in H.264, and will eventually contain VC-1 encodings.
It's all part of the HD-DVD codec comparison. At the moment, it would
seem that H.264 gives the highest fidelity encoding, but things are
still much in flux. The crunching power needed to decode H.264 24 Mbps
in real time is frightening (ask anyone who's been trying to view the
BBC's HD test broadcasts on their computer!)

Cheers,

Neil

mtdean at thirdcontact

Oct 3, 2006, 11:01 AM

Re: Any sample HDTV files available? [In reply to]

On 10/03/06 11:12, George Nassas wrote:

>On 3-Oct-06, at 3:39 AM, Richard Bos wrote:
>
>>http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/Customer/index.aspx
>>
>Which of those is 1080p mpeg2? Not challenging you but all I've ever
>seen there is 720p and either h.264 or whatever microsoft is favouring.
>
>There's some 1080p mpeg2 stuff here:

Why the focus on 1080p? 1080p is actually easier to decode--because it
doesn't require deinterlacing--so it's a worse test than 1080i.

Note, also, 1080p30 and 1080i60 have the same number of frames per
second and the same number of pixels per second. 1080p24 is a useless
test because it's much easier to decode than 1080i60.

Go with 1080i60 for testing.

Mike