Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Wireless Keyboard suggestion needed

mdrons at ins

Feb 19, 2003, 7:53 PM

Wireless Keyboard suggestion needed

I am looking for a wireless keyboard for my Myth computer. The computer
sits at least 50 feet away, with no line of site (currently in the basement,
but would consider moving it to the office on the same floor). Where is the
best place to purchase such a device? Suggestions and information needed on
brand, model, easy of use, etc. Do any of them have special feature buttons
that Linux supports?

But my real goal is to have Myth on any TV in the house, so it can really
only sit close to one of the TVs. I would consider a remote, but what are
the distance limitaions/line of site issues with remotes?

Thanks, Mike Drons

matt at concrete-donkey

Feb 19, 2003, 8:09 PM

RE: Wireless Keyboard suggestion needed [In reply to]

An RF remote would probably be the best. They do well through walls and
such. I have one that came bundled with my ATI all-in-wonder 7500, but I
have yet to sort out all the driver issues and get it working with myth,
but it works from at least 50 feet away and through walls.

I am looking for a wireless keyboard for my Myth computer. The computer
sits at least 50 feet away, with no line of site (currently in the
basement,
but would consider moving it to the office on the same floor). Where is
the
best place to purchase such a device? Suggestions and information
needed on
brand, model, easy of use, etc. Do any of them have special feature
buttons
that Linux supports?

But my real goal is to have Myth on any TV in the house, so it can
really
only sit close to one of the TVs. I would consider a remote, but what
are
the distance limitaions/line of site issues with remotes?

Thanks, Mike Drons

mdrons at ins

Feb 19, 2003, 9:04 PM

RE: Wireless Keyboard suggestion needed [In reply to]

This is what I was thinking of
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?SRCCODE
=BEFREE&SKU=S750-1029&sourceid=00395462656800274334

Does anyone have any experience with the 900Mhz keyboards? Do they really
go the distance compared to other type of wireless keyboards?

Michael Drons
INS
mdrons [at] ins

I am looking for a wireless keyboard for my Myth computer. The computer
sits at least 50 feet away, with no line of site (currently in the
basement,
but would consider moving it to the office on the same floor). Where is
the
best place to purchase such a device? Suggestions and information
needed on
brand, model, easy of use, etc. Do any of them have special feature
buttons
that Linux supports?

But my real goal is to have Myth on any TV in the house, so it can
really
only sit close to one of the TVs. I would consider a remote, but what
are
the distance limitaions/line of site issues with remotes?

Thanks, Mike Drons

madsend at myrealbox

Feb 19, 2003, 10:12 PM

Re: Wireless Keyboard suggestion needed [In reply to]

I don't know about those 900 Mhz keyboards, just remember how well your old
900Mhz cordless phone worked, and I'll guess you'll get about the same
performance, but maybe at a shorter distance, because analog voice signals
are much more forgiving of interference, and weak signal strength than a
digital keyboard signal would be. I personally bought a Logitech Cordless
Nagivator Duo that works great for me, but i just use it at a max of 5 - 10
feet from the base receiver. It comes with the wireless keyboard and mouse
in one package. There's no special requirements needed, to the computer it
just looks like a normal old keyboard and mouse.

How are you planning to get the video signal to all the far away computers
in the house?

Dave Madsen

> =BEFREE&SKU=S750-1029&sourceid=00395462656800274334
>
> Does anyone have any experience with the 900Mhz keyboards? Do they really
> go the distance compared to other type of wireless keyboards?
>
> Michael Drons
> INS
> mdrons [at] ins

mdrons at ins

Feb 20, 2003, 6:19 AM

RE: Wireless Keyboard suggestion needed [In reply to]

I have 2 options. The option that I am trying now involves a vga to ntsc
converter over wireless
(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?sku=G1
26-1010)

My second option involves buying 100 feet of svideo cable to run from the
computer to the primary TV. I just need to keep the svideo length below 300
feet.

Any thoughts/opinions/comments?

Michael Drons
INS
mdrons [at] ins

> =BEFREE&SKU=S750-1029&sourceid=00395462656800274334
>
> Does anyone have any experience with the 900Mhz keyboards? Do they really
> go the distance compared to other type of wireless keyboards?
>
> Michael Drons
> INS
> mdrons [at] ins

johnmythtv at crombe

Feb 20, 2003, 8:20 AM

Re: Wireless Keyboard suggestion needed [In reply to]

Can you really run 100' of svideo cable and have it look decent? I had no
idea! I've got a front screen LCD projector in the back of my family room
and my "sources" in the front of the room and ran an RCA for composite video
between them. I guess I should replace it with svideo then? It's probably
a 50' run. Where do you get that?

Thanks,
JC

> I have 2 options. The option that I am trying now involves a vga to ntsc
> converter over wireless

(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?sku=G1
> 26-1010)
>
> My second option involves buying 100 feet of svideo cable to run from the
> computer to the primary TV. I just need to keep the svideo length below
300
> feet.
>
> Any thoughts/opinions/comments?
>
> Michael Drons
> INS
> mdrons [at] ins

bpreston at networkusa

Feb 20, 2003, 11:37 AM

Re: Wireless Keyboard suggestion needed [In reply to]

> I have 2 options. The option that I am trying now involves a vga to
ntsc
> converter over wireless

(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?sku=
G1
> 26-1010)

That seems like a pretty expensive solution. Coax to each set is a LOT
cheaper :)

As for a remote, an RF remote should work. You could get one of those
remotes from X10.com, get the wall modules in each room to pick up the
signals (depending on the size of your place), and do it that way. I was
doing that, but the wall modules had an unacceptable delay for me...but I
was using the older remote, and the driver I was using might not have been
up to the task.

X10 (and other vendors?) sell things called "IR extenders", which (I
presume) take IR input from a (any?) remote and transmit it to where you
need it. That might be an option as well, if you have an IR remote you
want to use.

Report back to the list. I don't doubt other people are trying to do this
as well. I'm happy with myth on one TV right now, but in the future might
want to extend it to other sets.

mdrons at ins

Feb 20, 2003, 12:06 PM

RE: Wireless Keyboard suggestion needed [In reply to]

I looked at getting the cable from
http://www.htcustomcables.com/default.asp. I think the longest they will do
is 100 ft, but he has a place where he can get a 300 ft cable, but it is
much higher quality and more money.

Michael Drons
INS
mdrons [at] ins

> I have 2 options. The option that I am trying now involves a vga to ntsc
> converter over wireless

(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?sku=G1
> 26-1010)
>
> My second option involves buying 100 feet of svideo cable to run from the
> computer to the primary TV. I just need to keep the svideo length below
300
> feet.
>
> Any thoughts/opinions/comments?
>
> Michael Drons
> INS
> mdrons [at] ins

mdrons at ins

Feb 20, 2003, 1:37 PM

RE: Wireless Keyboard suggestion needed [In reply to]

I would I do coax to each set? Are you suggesting use a converter to
convert the svideo/RCA to coax?

If you have seen my other posts, I have been unable to get my GeForce2 video
out to work. I have spent 2 weeks trying to get it to work, and have had no
luck. The video card is a Jaton GeForce2, I loaded the nvidia drivers and
nvtv... and it does not work. I can not get the TV to display anything. So
my next solution is to buy a VGA to NTSA converter. I have not found a
converter that has coax as an output, have you?

Michael Drons
INS
mdrons [at] ins

> I have 2 options. The option that I am trying now involves a vga to
ntsc
> converter over wireless

(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?sku=
G1
> 26-1010)

That seems like a pretty expensive solution. Coax to each set is a LOT
cheaper :)

As for a remote, an RF remote should work. You could get one of those
remotes from X10.com, get the wall modules in each room to pick up the
signals (depending on the size of your place), and do it that way. I was
doing that, but the wall modules had an unacceptable delay for me...but I
was using the older remote, and the driver I was using might not have been
up to the task.

X10 (and other vendors?) sell things called "IR extenders", which (I
presume) take IR input from a (any?) remote and transmit it to where you
need it. That might be an option as well, if you have an IR remote you
want to use.

Report back to the list. I don't doubt other people are trying to do this
as well. I'm happy with myth on one TV right now, but in the future might
want to extend it to other sets.

aburden at onegeeksopinion

Feb 20, 2003, 2:06 PM

RE: Wireless Keyboard suggestion needed [In reply to]

Hi, I found that I could not get my GeForce2 to display the TV as a
second monitor, so I just set it up as the primary monitor. I can post
my config file if you want.

Cheers...

> I have 2 options. The option that I am trying now involves a vga to
ntsc
> converter over wireless

(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?sk
u=
G1
> 26-1010)

That seems like a pretty expensive solution. Coax to each set is a LOT
cheaper :)

As for a remote, an RF remote should work. You could get one of those
remotes from X10.com, get the wall modules in each room to pick up the
signals (depending on the size of your place), and do it that way. I
was doing that, but the wall modules had an unacceptable delay for
me...but I was using the older remote, and the driver I was using might
not have been up to the task.

X10 (and other vendors?) sell things called "IR extenders", which (I
presume) take IR input from a (any?) remote and transmit it to where you
need it. That might be an option as well, if you have an IR remote you
want to use.

Report back to the list. I don't doubt other people are trying to do
this as well. I'm happy with myth on one TV right now, but in the
future might want to extend it to other sets.

ptanguay at magma

Feb 20, 2003, 4:43 PM

Re: Wireless Keyboard suggestion needed [In reply to]

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, William Preston wrote:
> X10 (and other vendors?) sell things called "IR extenders", which (I
> presume) take IR input from a (any?) remote and transmit it to where you
> need it. That might be an option as well, if you have an IR remote you
> want to use.

A word of caution : those IR extenders from X10 (and Radio Shack also) are
pure junk. They work - sometimes. Very unreliable, and frustrating. If
you're looking for moving IR signals around, I would recommend a wired system.
www.worthdist.com is a good place to start...

jrjjh_4 at comcast

Feb 20, 2003, 11:23 PM

Re: RE: Wireless Keyboard suggestion needed [In reply to]

I ordered my S-video 100'cable at http://www.pccables.com/ for less
than $20.00 and it works good.

j.hoevertsz

> is 100 ft, but he has a place where he can get a 300 ft cable, but
> it is
> much higher quality and more money.
>

> Michael Drons
> INS
> mdrons [at] ins

mdrons at ins

Feb 21, 2003, 8:29 PM

RE: Wireless Keyboard suggestion needed [In reply to]

Adrian,
Did I miss the post of your XF86Config file? Can you repost or send
under separate cover. Thanks.

Mike
mdrons [at] ins

> I have 2 options. The option that I am trying now involves a vga to
ntsc
> converter over wireless

(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?sk
u=
G1
> 26-1010)

That seems like a pretty expensive solution. Coax to each set is a LOT
cheaper :)

As for a remote, an RF remote should work. You could get one of those
remotes from X10.com, get the wall modules in each room to pick up the
signals (depending on the size of your place), and do it that way. I
was doing that, but the wall modules had an unacceptable delay for
me...but I was using the older remote, and the driver I was using might
not have been up to the task.

X10 (and other vendors?) sell things called "IR extenders", which (I
presume) take IR input from a (any?) remote and transmit it to where you
need it. That might be an option as well, if you have an IR remote you
want to use.

Report back to the list. I don't doubt other people are trying to do
this as well. I'm happy with myth on one TV right now, but in the
future might want to extend it to other sets.

risto at elkhornbanff

Feb 24, 2003, 6:40 PM

Re: Wireless Keyboard suggestion needed [In reply to]

versapoint rf
keyboards work great in linux

i got two
:)