Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Leadtek WinFast TV 2000 XP Deluxe NTSC

 

 

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


mjw at woogie

Feb 18, 2003, 11:42 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2171 views)
Permalink
Leadtek WinFast TV 2000 XP Deluxe NTSC

I thought I'd let everyone know about my experiences with my Leadtek
WinFast TV 2000 XP NTSC card. The good news is that I finally have
MythTV working with it. It was a lot more work than it should have
been, though, so hopefully this email will help someone save some time.

The first issue was that bttv thought the card was tuner type 5 (PAL),
not type 2 (NTSC). Of course, you can force bttv to use type 2 instead,
but my problem then was that none of the channels would display
anything. I finally realized that the card was working, but just needed
fine tuning on every channel. For most channels, -14 seemed to be
pretty good, although it varies and I will still need to go through each
channel and double check that it is set properly.

The next problem was the remote control. The card is listed as being
supported by lirc, but I couldn't get it working for the life me. I
finally found documentation saying that the card would have to be
autodetected properly for lirc to work with bttv. Since I was forcing
bttv to tuner type 2, I was breaking the remote. Hacking BTTV to think
the card was type 2 fixed the problem.

One more thing: this card supports stereo, but btaudio doesn't work
with it (it doesn't even appear to have an audio chip for btaudio to
support). This means I had to connect the stereo out on the card to the
stereo in on my audio card.

That's about it. It works, but there are probably cards out there that
will be easier to configure.

Woogie


ajlenze at clarkhome

Feb 19, 2003, 12:20 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2087 views)
Permalink
Re: Leadtek WinFast TV 2000 XP Deluxe NTSC [In reply to]

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Leadtek TV tuner. I'm designing a MythTV system and planning to use the Leadtek card, and you've probably saved me a lot of suffering.

I didn't completely understand your point about your problems with stereo. You stated:

> One more thing: this card supports stereo, but btaudio doesn't work
> with it (it doesn't even appear to have an audio chip for btaudio to
> support). This means I had to connect the stereo out on the card to the
> stereo in on my audio card.

(Please bear with me, because I know almost nothing about MythTV.) How does this effect recording TV? Does this mean that when recording TV you had to record video from the TV tuner and audio from your sound card? Or does it only effect watching live TV?

Thanks,

Drew Lenze


mjw at woogie

Feb 19, 2003, 8:31 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2111 views)
Permalink
Re: Leadtek WinFast TV 2000 XP Deluxe NTSC [In reply to]

Drew Lenze wrote:

> I didn't completely understand your point about your problems with
> stereo. You stated:
>
> > One more thing: this card supports stereo, but btaudio doesn't work
> > with it (it doesn't even appear to have an audio chip for btaudio to
> > support). This means I had to connect the stereo out on the card to
> the
> > stereo in on my audio card.
>
> (Please bear with me, because I know almost nothing about MythTV.)
> How does this effect recording TV? Does this mean that when recording
> TV you had to record video from the TV tuner and audio from your sound
> card? Or does it only effect watching live TV?


As far as I can tell, the only audio available from the card is from the
audio out, and it is always going to output the audio from the currently
tuned channel. In order for btaudio to work, the card would need to use
an audio processing chipset that btaudio supports. Not only does the TV
2000 XP not use a chipset that btaudio supports, it appears to not have
any audio processing chipset at all.

When watching live TV in something like xawtv, you can just use the
audio out from the card, and it will work fine. With MythTV, however,
you are never really watching live TV. Even when you have selected to
watch live TV, MythTV is actually converting the signal and storing it
to the disk buffer, and then displaying from the disk buffer. If you
try to use the audio out from the Leadtek at this point, the audio will
be a bit ahead of the video.

In any case, whenever you use MythTV, you will want to patch the audio
out from the Leadtek to the audio in for your sound card, and then
configure MythTV to use your sound card for the audio source.

Woogie


ajlenze at clarkhome

Feb 19, 2003, 8:49 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2093 views)
Permalink
Re: Leadtek WinFast TV 2000 XP Deluxe NTSC [In reply to]

OK, let me see if I understand you. There's no way to get at audio (in
digitized form) through the PCI bus, so you have to route the audio out on
the card to an audio in on your sound card and get the digitized audio
through the PCI bus on your sound card. Am I right?

I know I'm being a pest about this, but I'd like to eventually have multiple
TV tuners in my MythTV system. I wanted to use the Leadtek tuner because of
its low price and its stereo sound, but now I'm not sure if it will work for
me, because I'll need an audio in on my sound card for every TV tuner,
right?

Drew

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Wohlgemuth" <mjw [at] woogie>
To: "Drew Lenze" <ajlenze [at] clarkhome>
Cc: <mythtv-users [at] snowman>
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 9:31 AM
Subject: Re: Leadtek WinFast TV 2000 XP Deluxe NTSC


> Drew Lenze wrote:
>
> > I didn't completely understand your point about your problems with
> > stereo. You stated:
> >
> > > One more thing: this card supports stereo, but btaudio doesn't work
> > > with it (it doesn't even appear to have an audio chip for btaudio to
> > > support). This means I had to connect the stereo out on the card to
> > the
> > > stereo in on my audio card.
> >
> > (Please bear with me, because I know almost nothing about MythTV.)
> > How does this effect recording TV? Does this mean that when recording
> > TV you had to record video from the TV tuner and audio from your sound
> > card? Or does it only effect watching live TV?
>
>
> As far as I can tell, the only audio available from the card is from the
> audio out, and it is always going to output the audio from the currently
> tuned channel. In order for btaudio to work, the card would need to use
> an audio processing chipset that btaudio supports. Not only does the TV
> 2000 XP not use a chipset that btaudio supports, it appears to not have
> any audio processing chipset at all.
>
> When watching live TV in something like xawtv, you can just use the
> audio out from the card, and it will work fine. With MythTV, however,
> you are never really watching live TV. Even when you have selected to
> watch live TV, MythTV is actually converting the signal and storing it
> to the disk buffer, and then displaying from the disk buffer. If you
> try to use the audio out from the Leadtek at this point, the audio will
> be a bit ahead of the video.
>
> In any case, whenever you use MythTV, you will want to patch the audio
> out from the Leadtek to the audio in for your sound card, and then
> configure MythTV to use your sound card for the audio source.
>
> Woogie


mjw at woogie

Feb 19, 2003, 9:17 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2096 views)
Permalink
Re: Leadtek WinFast TV 2000 XP Deluxe NTSC [In reply to]

Drew Lenze wrote:

>OK, let me see if I understand you. There's no way to get at audio (in
>digitized form) through the PCI bus, so you have to route the audio out on
>the card to an audio in on your sound card and get the digitized audio
>through the PCI bus on your sound card. Am I right?
>
>
That's it exactly.

>I know I'm being a pest about this, but I'd like to eventually have multiple
>TV tuners in my MythTV system. I wanted to use the Leadtek tuner because of
>its low price and its stereo sound, but now I'm not sure if it will work for
>me, because I'll need an audio in on my sound card for every TV tuner,
>right?
>
>
That's right. I think you could probably pick up a similarly priced
card that had btaudio support, but didn't come with a remote, though.
That way you could patch the Leadtek to your audio in, and use btaudio
on the other. My memory is a bit blurry about which cards had which
features and at what cost, though.

Woogie

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.