Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

IR Blaster, how does it work?

masterclc at gmail

Mar 10, 2006, 7:16 PM

IR Blaster, how does it work?

Hi!

I was looking at www.irblaster.info and like what I see both
simplicity and price are right. But, I'm even more confused now...

I'm going to be hooking up a new MythTV system in a house where they
have DirecTV. I have skimmed over several emails about using an IR
Blaster, but most if them say things like "hook up the IR Blaster and
then..." without really saying much about the IR Blaster part.

So I guess my question is how does an IR Blaster work? I plug the IR
Blaster into the back of the Satellite Receiver (either serial or
mini-stereo depending on type) and then what? Do I also need an IR
Receiver on the mythbox? Ah... Maybe that's it.

When I hit a key on the remote to change the channel, does it send the
blip to both devices? Well, that would work for live-tv, but what
about scheduled programs, there is no "blip" sent from the remote, so
how does the receiver know to change the channel?

Any clarification is very welcome!

Thanks!

Chad

junkmail at allanmcintosh

Mar 10, 2006, 7:42 PM

Re: IR Blaster, how does it work? [In reply to]

Chad wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I was looking at www.irblaster.info and like what I see both
>simplicity and price are right. But, I'm even more confused now...
>
>I'm going to be hooking up a new MythTV system in a house where they
>have DirecTV. I have skimmed over several emails about using an IR
>Blaster, but most if them say things like "hook up the IR Blaster and
>then..." without really saying much about the IR Blaster part.
>
>So I guess my question is how does an IR Blaster work? I plug the IR
>Blaster into the back of the Satellite Receiver (either serial or
>mini-stereo depending on type) and then what? Do I also need an IR
>Receiver on the mythbox? Ah... Maybe that's it.
>
>When I hit a key on the remote to change the channel, does it send the
>blip to both devices? Well, that would work for live-tv, but what
>about scheduled programs, there is no "blip" sent from the remote, so
>how does the receiver know to change the channel?

An IR Blaster is an IR transmitter, your computer will use an IR blaster
to send IR signals to your satalite receiver. When your computer is
going to record a show it will send the change channel signal via the
blaster to your satalite receiver.

You can add an IR receiver to your computer to to receive IR signals
from a remote to navigate the mythtv gui. Many PVR cards come with IR
receivers that can be used to navigate the mythtv menus.

chrisribe at gmail

Mar 10, 2006, 7:44 PM

Re: IR Blaster, how does it work? [In reply to]

An IR Blaster doesn't plug into the satellite reciever. It plugs into the
computer and sends an IR signal to the satellite reciever (just like a
remote control would).

You would control mythtv with a remote, and then mythtv would send channel
change commands to the satellite reciever as needed via the IR blaster.

On 3/10/06, Chad <masterclc [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I was looking at www.irblaster.info and like what I see both
> simplicity and price are right. But, I'm even more confused now...
>
> I'm going to be hooking up a new MythTV system in a house where they
> have DirecTV. I have skimmed over several emails about using an IR
> Blaster, but most if them say things like "hook up the IR Blaster and
> then..." without really saying much about the IR Blaster part.
>
> So I guess my question is how does an IR Blaster work? I plug the IR
> Blaster into the back of the Satellite Receiver (either serial or
> mini-stereo depending on type) and then what? Do I also need an IR
> Receiver on the mythbox? Ah... Maybe that's it.
>
> When I hit a key on the remote to change the channel, does it send the
> blip to both devices? Well, that would work for live-tv, but what
> about scheduled programs, there is no "blip" sent from the remote, so
> how does the receiver know to change the channel?
>
> Any clarification is very welcome!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chad

masterclc at gmail

Mar 10, 2006, 8:08 PM

Re: IR Blaster, how does it work? [In reply to]

On 3/10/06, Chris Ribe <chrisribe [at] gmail> wrote:
> An IR Blaster doesn't plug into the satellite reciever. It plugs into the
> computer and sends an IR signal to the satellite reciever (just like a
> remote control would).
>
> You would control mythtv with a remote, and then mythtv would send channel
> change commands to the satellite reciever as needed via the IR blaster.
>

> On 3/10/06, Chad <masterclc [at] gmail> wrote:
> >
> Hi!
>
> I was looking at www.irblaster.info and like what I see both
> simplicity and price are right. But, I'm even more confused now...
>
> I'm going to be hooking up a new MythTV system in a house where they
> have DirecTV. I have skimmed over several emails about using an IR
> Blaster, but most if them say things like "hook up the IR Blaster and
> then..." without really saying much about the IR Blaster part.
>
> So I guess my question is how does an IR Blaster work? I plug the IR
> Blaster into the back of the Satellite Receiver (either serial or
> mini-stereo depending on type) and then what? Do I also need an IR
> Receiver on the mythbox? Ah... Maybe that's it.
>
> When I hit a key on the remote to change the channel, does it send the
> blip to both devices? Well, that would work for live-tv, but what
> about scheduled programs, there is no "blip" sent from the remote, so
> how does the receiver know to change the channel?
>
> Any clarification is very welcome!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chad

Thank you both for your replies, that makes a lot more sense now! I
was seaching and it didn't seem too many receivers had RS232
connections on the back of em! :D

Thanks!

Chad