Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Nuvexport to iPod job

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

mboorshtein at gmail

Mar 3, 2006, 4:49 PM

Nuvexport to iPod job

Hello,

I would like to setup nuvexport to export shows to an ipod format as a
job. I have a command line setup, but I can't get it to run without
de-interlacing or noise reduction. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

Marc

wififun at gmail

Mar 4, 2006, 9:59 AM

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

Marc, I have a new myth2ipod script you can try. (See attached) Don't
forget to setup feed folders and give them the correct permissions for
your setup.
You may need to compile and install a few items, such as ffmpeg with
xvid, and faac. You will also need to make libs and make inastall for
MP4Box. This will allow an iPod with firmware 1.1 to play the files.
You also need to modify the iPod.pm nuvexport file by commenting out
the mov check, and changing all occurrences of mov to mp4. The last
step, and the real answer to your question, edit /etc/nuvexportrc.
This is where this file is for me, but after posting a question here
and getting no answer, I managed to track down this file. Whalla,
turning of those things is very easy if done here. Good luck.
myth2ipod.com should be updated with install directions and the new
script this weekend. I am working on it now.

On 3/3/06, Marc Boorshtein <mboorshtein [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to setup nuvexport to export shows to an ipod format as a
> job. I have a command line setup, but I can't get it to run without
> de-interlacing or noise reduction. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Marc

Attachments: myth2ipod.pl.gz (3.70 KB)

mboorshtein at gmail

Mar 4, 2006, 10:38 AM

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

Thanks, I'll give this a try later. for now nuvexport works
perfectly. I just commented out the settings for noise reduction and
deinterlace.

Marc

On 3/4/06, WiFi Fun <wififun [at] gmail> wrote:
> Marc, I have a new myth2ipod script you can try. (See attached) Don't
> forget to setup feed folders and give them the correct permissions for
> your setup.
> You may need to compile and install a few items, such as ffmpeg with
> xvid, and faac. You will also need to make libs and make inastall for
> MP4Box. This will allow an iPod with firmware 1.1 to play the files.
> You also need to modify the iPod.pm nuvexport file by commenting out
> the mov check, and changing all occurrences of mov to mp4. The last
> step, and the real answer to your question, edit /etc/nuvexportrc.
> This is where this file is for me, but after posting a question here
> and getting no answer, I managed to track down this file. Whalla,
> turning of those things is very easy if done here. Good luck.
> myth2ipod.com should be updated with install directions and the new
> script this weekend. I am working on it now.
>

> On 3/3/06, Marc Boorshtein <mboorshtein [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to setup nuvexport to export shows to an ipod format as a
> > job. I have a command line setup, but I can't get it to run without
> > de-interlacing or noise reduction. Any help would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Marc

lists at forevermore

Mar 4, 2006, 11:17 AM

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

> Thanks, I'll give this a try later. for now nuvexport works
> perfectly. I just commented out the settings for noise reduction and
> deinterlace.

Does no one listen to me? --nodenoise and --nodeinterlace should work
just fine.. Or turn them off in nuvexportrc.

If this does NOT work for you, then PLEASE PLEASE submit a bug report,
or at least email me about it.

-Chris

wififun at gmail

Mar 4, 2006, 12:52 PM

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

Chris,
Yea, I would listen but I did an archive search but found no reference
to --nodenoise and --nodeinterlace by you or anyone else until that
was the switch I was looking for and specifically looked for it. It is
not documented in the man page, and no one answered my post earlier in
the week when I ask how to do this.
Thanks for the response, this will make my new script much easier for
users to install and configure. keep of the great work with nuvexport,
it has been awesome.

By the way, the iPod plugin should probobly be modified to not check
for mov, but rather use mp4 format instead. I am not sure what I
should do to submit a patch, but I will look in to it later.
Thanks..

On 3/4/06, Chris Petersen <lists [at] forevermore> wrote:
> > Thanks, I'll give this a try later. for now nuvexport works
> > perfectly. I just commented out the settings for noise reduction and
> > deinterlace.
>
> Does no one listen to me? --nodenoise and --nodeinterlace should work
> just fine.. Or turn them off in nuvexportrc.
>
> If this does NOT work for you, then PLEASE PLEASE submit a bug report,
> or at least email me about it.
>
> -Chris

skd5aner at gmail

Mar 4, 2006, 1:42 PM

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

On 3/4/06, Chris Petersen <lists [at] forevermore> wrote:
> > Thanks, I'll give this a try later. for now nuvexport works
> > perfectly. I just commented out the settings for noise reduction and
> > deinterlace.
>
> Does no one listen to me? --nodenoise and --nodeinterlace should work
> just fine.. Or turn them off in nuvexportrc.
>
> If this does NOT work for you, then PLEASE PLEASE submit a bug report,
> or at least email me about it.
>
> -Chris

Haha... yea.

WiFi, can you please get with Chris to work some of this stuff out?
Here's where you submit bug reports for nuvexport:

https://svn.forevermore.net/nuvexport/

I'd love to see myth2ipod work a little better in terms of automation,
easier configuration, and more. Ever think of submitting it for
inclusion as part of myth instead of an external add-on?

Thanks!

wififun at gmail

Mar 4, 2006, 2:13 PM

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

Matt, it would be cool to see it included as part of myth. I just
haven't taken the time to explore what would be required to do so. I
could use some help with this. One problem right now, is the solution
for the 1.1 firmware requires MP4Box, which means a whole new
dependency. The new script has been working flawlessly for me for the
last two days. I have been adding recording after recording to the
feed, without issue. I am just tweaking a few things here and there to
make sure it is just right before releasing. As soon as this is done,
I will contact Chris and see about getting nuvexport updated with the
needed changes. I hope to put together a setup script to make this
easier. I will start with the next public release of Knoppmyth for the
first setup script, then work towards a script that could be added as
a contrib to myth for any distro. (I will need help with this.)

On 3/4/06, Matt <skd5aner [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 3/4/06, Chris Petersen <lists [at] forevermore> wrote:
> > > Thanks, I'll give this a try later. for now nuvexport works
> > > perfectly. I just commented out the settings for noise reduction and
> > > deinterlace.
> >
> > Does no one listen to me? --nodenoise and --nodeinterlace should work
> > just fine.. Or turn them off in nuvexportrc.
> >
> > If this does NOT work for you, then PLEASE PLEASE submit a bug report,
> > or at least email me about it.
> >
> > -Chris
>
> Haha... yea.
>
> WiFi, can you please get with Chris to work some of this stuff out?
> Here's where you submit bug reports for nuvexport:
>
> https://svn.forevermore.net/nuvexport/
>
> I'd love to see myth2ipod work a little better in terms of automation,
> easier configuration, and more. Ever think of submitting it for
> inclusion as part of myth instead of an external add-on?
>
> Thanks!

mboorshtein at gmail

Mar 4, 2006, 8:15 PM

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

I couldn't find those options anywhere. Searching after the fact, the
only place google found those commands were in a irc log. In
addition, --cutlist doesn't seem to be working.

Marc

On 3/4/06, WiFi Fun <wififun [at] gmail> wrote:
> Matt, it would be cool to see it included as part of myth. I just
> haven't taken the time to explore what would be required to do so. I
> could use some help with this. One problem right now, is the solution
> for the 1.1 firmware requires MP4Box, which means a whole new
> dependency. The new script has been working flawlessly for me for the
> last two days. I have been adding recording after recording to the
> feed, without issue. I am just tweaking a few things here and there to
> make sure it is just right before releasing. As soon as this is done,
> I will contact Chris and see about getting nuvexport updated with the
> needed changes. I hope to put together a setup script to make this
> easier. I will start with the next public release of Knoppmyth for the
> first setup script, then work towards a script that could be added as
> a contrib to myth for any distro. (I will need help with this.)

> > > Does no one listen to me? --nodenoise and --nodeinterlace should work
> > > just fine.. Or turn them off in nuvexportrc.
> > >
> > > If this does NOT work for you, then PLEASE PLEASE submit a bug report,
> > > or at least email me about it.
> > >
> > > -Chris
> >
> > Haha... yea.
> >
> > WiFi, can you please get with Chris to work some of this stuff out?
> > Here's where you submit bug reports for nuvexport:
> >
> > https://svn.forevermore.net/nuvexport/
> >
> > I'd love to see myth2ipod work a little better in terms of automation,
> > easier configuration, and more. Ever think of submitting it for
> > inclusion as part of myth instead of an external add-on?
> >
> > Thanks!

wififun at gmail

Mar 5, 2006, 12:16 AM

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

Marc, A recorded show has to have a cutlist before this will work.
This is not the same as just having commercials flagged. You generate
a cutlist from the flagged commercials. You can do this from the
editor while watching a recorded program, or from the commandline
with:
/usr/bin/mythcommflag --chanid $chanid --starttime $start --gencutlist

Then the --cutlist switch should work as expected.

On 3/4/06, Marc Boorshtein <mboorshtein [at] gmail> wrote:
> I couldn't find those options anywhere. Searching after the fact, the
> only place google found those commands were in a irc log. In
> addition, --cutlist doesn't seem to be working.
>
> Marc
>
> On 3/4/06, WiFi Fun <wififun [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Matt, it would be cool to see it included as part of myth. I just
> > haven't taken the time to explore what would be required to do so. I
> > could use some help with this. One problem right now, is the solution
> > for the 1.1 firmware requires MP4Box, which means a whole new
> > dependency. The new script has been working flawlessly for me for the
> > last two days. I have been adding recording after recording to the
> > feed, without issue. I am just tweaking a few things here and there to
> > make sure it is just right before releasing. As soon as this is done,
> > I will contact Chris and see about getting nuvexport updated with the
> > needed changes. I hope to put together a setup script to make this
> > easier. I will start with the next public release of Knoppmyth for the
> > first setup script, then work towards a script that could be added as
> > a contrib to myth for any distro. (I will need help with this.)

> > > Haha... yea.
> > >
> > > WiFi, can you please get with Chris to work some of this stuff out?
> > > Here's where you submit bug reports for nuvexport:
> > >
> > > https://svn.forevermore.net/nuvexport/
> > >
> > > I'd love to see myth2ipod work a little better in terms of automation,
> > > easier configuration, and more. Ever think of submitting it for
> > > inclusion as part of myth instead of an external add-on?
> > >
> > > Thanks!

wififun at gmail

Mar 6, 2006, 11:26 AM

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

I have updated myth2ipod with the nuvexport patch and a few other
items including cutlist support if you want it. I have also created a
basic installer shell script, but it will likely only work with
Knoppmyth systems. Parts of the installer should work anywhere, but I
would not run the full install on a different platform. For a new
Knoppmyth box, the installer will do everything for you. There is a
menu where you can select just parts of the setup process if you wish.
I have some ideas on how to make this better, and more compatible for
other systems, but that will come in time. Again, this stuff is all
still in testing, but I have been using it for a few days now with
great success.

http://www.myth2ipod.com

If someone would like to help make this part of myth, drop me a note...

lists at forevermore

Mar 7, 2006, 11:20 AM

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

fyi, I added --gencutlist to nuvexport last night, and updated the
included nuvexportrc file with better documentation.

-Chris

skd5aner at gmail

Mar 7, 2006, 7:07 PM

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

On 3/7/06, Chris Petersen <lists [at] forevermore> wrote:
> fyi, I added --gencutlist to nuvexport last night, and updated the
> included nuvexportrc file with better documentation.
>
> -Chris

Cool Chris... thanks

... and Wifi - Once we can verify that this works out-of-the-box with
the standard myth distribution, ffmpeg, and nuvexport... then I'll be
good to go! Also, I refuse to upgrade my ipod firmware to 1.1 because
they took out the feature to turn on/off the backlight by holding the
menu button down. How lame.

Thanks!
Matt

wififun at gmail

Mar 8, 2006, 10:31 AM

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

Chris, quick question about the --gencutlist addition. Does it do the
mythcommflag generation, and then does it remove it later? I resized
something about my implementation in the myth2ipod script that does
not effect me, but may others.
Basically I generate the generate the cutlist with mythcommflag, then
remove it afterward. This is fine, unless someone already had a
cutlist for the file. Opps. In this case, I think it may override it
with the new one generated. I should first check to see if there is
already a cutlist, if so, use it, then only remove it if it generated
the cutlist to begin with. Any thoughts?

On 3/7/06, Matt <skd5aner [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 3/7/06, Chris Petersen <lists [at] forevermore> wrote:
> > fyi, I added --gencutlist to nuvexport last night, and updated the
> > included nuvexportrc file with better documentation.
> >
> > -Chris
>
> Cool Chris... thanks
>
> ... and Wifi - Once we can verify that this works out-of-the-box with
> the standard myth distribution, ffmpeg, and nuvexport... then I'll be
> good to go! Also, I refuse to upgrade my ipod firmware to 1.1 because
> they took out the feature to turn on/off the backlight by holding the
> menu button down. How lame.
>
> Thanks!
> Matt

wififun at gmail

Mar 8, 2006, 10:38 AM

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

Matt, Yea, I know some people were upset about the backlight on/off
issue, but for me, the gains in scrubbing ff/rw through the video
files is so much more improved in 1.1 that it just blows 1.0 out of
the water.
I think we are pretty close to having all the requirements knocked
out. With chris' additions to nuvexport, the only thing remaining is
to make sure ffmpeg doesn't break, and that the iPod.pm is updated to
use mp4. Seaking of MP4Box, maybe the iPod.pm could be modified to
look for it, and use it. The more of this that is rolled into
nuvexport, the cleaner the implementation becomes.

On 3/7/06, Matt <skd5aner [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 3/7/06, Chris Petersen <lists [at] forevermore> wrote:
> > fyi, I added --gencutlist to nuvexport last night, and updated the
> > included nuvexportrc file with better documentation.
> >
> > -Chris
>
> Cool Chris... thanks
>
> ... and Wifi - Once we can verify that this works out-of-the-box with
> the standard myth distribution, ffmpeg, and nuvexport... then I'll be
> good to go! Also, I refuse to upgrade my ipod firmware to 1.1 because
> they took out the feature to turn on/off the backlight by holding the
> menu button down. How lame.
>
> Thanks!
> Matt

lists at forevermore

Mar 8, 2006, 10:53 AM

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

> Chris, quick question about the --gencutlist addition. Does it do the
> mythcommflag generation, and then does it remove it later? I resized
> something about my implementation in the myth2ipod script that does
> not effect me, but may others.

All it does is call `mythcommflag --gencutlist` before running the
export, regardless of whether or not there already IS a cutlist.

> Basically I generate the generate the cutlist with mythcommflag, then
> remove it afterward. This is fine, unless someone already had a
> cutlist for the file. Opps. In this case, I think it may override it
> with the new one generated. I should first check to see if there is
> already a cutlist, if so, use it, then only remove it if it generated
> the cutlist to begin with. Any thoughts?

It either overwrites or merges (pressing Z while editing in the frontend
merges, but of course that's a different program).

It would be easy enough to do that in nuvexport -- it already knows
whether or not a program has a cutlist, and deleting afterward is easy
enough. Feel free to send me a patch, or at least put in a ticket so I
don't forget to do it.

-Chris

lists at forevermore

Mar 8, 2006, 10:55 AM

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

> I think we are pretty close to having all the requirements knocked
> out. With chris' additions to nuvexport, the only thing remaining is
> to make sure ffmpeg doesn't break, and that the iPod.pm is updated to
> use mp4. Seaking of MP4Box, maybe the iPod.pm could be modified to
> look for it, and use it. The more of this that is rolled into
> nuvexport, the cleaner the implementation becomes.

I pondered making MP4Box an optional call in ipod.pm -- main problem I
have is that it doesn't seem to be a standard package, which means that
a lot of fedora/ubuntu users will be left without it)

-Chris

wififun at gmail

Mar 8, 2006, 12:13 PM

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

The only other issue is right now without the post-processing of
MP4Box, generated files will not play on the newer firmware. I will
keep this step part of myth2ipod for now, until something can be
worked out.
Thanks

On 3/8/06, Chris Petersen <lists [at] forevermore> wrote:
> > I think we are pretty close to having all the requirements knocked
> > out. With chris' additions to nuvexport, the only thing remaining is
> > to make sure ffmpeg doesn't break, and that the iPod.pm is updated to
> > use mp4. Seaking of MP4Box, maybe the iPod.pm could be modified to
> > look for it, and use it. The more of this that is rolled into
> > nuvexport, the cleaner the implementation becomes.
>
> I pondered making MP4Box an optional call in ipod.pm -- main problem I
> have is that it doesn't seem to be a standard package, which means that
> a lot of fedora/ubuntu users will be left without it)
>
> -Chris

mboorshtein at gmail

Mar 8, 2006, 12:38 PM

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

[OT] Does the 1.1 firmware help out with the horrid battery life? I'm
probably going to switch gears and instead of ipod export everything
to PSP cuz i'm not getting anything more then an hour of video
playback.

Marc

(btw, great job guys!)

On 3/8/06, WiFi Fun <wififun [at] gmail> wrote:
> The only other issue is right now without the post-processing of
> MP4Box, generated files will not play on the newer firmware. I will
> keep this step part of myth2ipod for now, until something can be
> worked out.
> Thanks
>

> On 3/8/06, Chris Petersen <lists [at] forevermore> wrote:
> > > I think we are pretty close to having all the requirements knocked
> > > out. With chris' additions to nuvexport, the only thing remaining is
> > > to make sure ffmpeg doesn't break, and that the iPod.pm is updated to
> > > use mp4. Seaking of MP4Box, maybe the iPod.pm could be modified to
> > > look for it, and use it. The more of this that is rolled into
> > > nuvexport, the cleaner the implementation becomes.
> >
> > I pondered making MP4Box an optional call in ipod.pm -- main problem I
> > have is that it doesn't seem to be a standard package, which means that
> > a lot of fedora/ubuntu users will be left without it)
> >
> > -Chris

wififun at gmail

Mar 8, 2006, 1:24 PM

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

With commercials cut out, I can about get three 1 hour (45min) shows
on a charge. Now this is not great for sure, but it is also not
horrible. Much better than your 60 min.

On 3/8/06, Marc Boorshtein <mboorshtein [at] gmail> wrote:
> [OT] Does the 1.1 firmware help out with the horrid battery life? I'm
> probably going to switch gears and instead of ipod export everything
> to PSP cuz i'm not getting anything more then an hour of video
> playback.
>
> Marc
>
> (btw, great job guys!)
>
> On 3/8/06, WiFi Fun <wififun [at] gmail> wrote:
> > The only other issue is right now without the post-processing of
> > MP4Box, generated files will not play on the newer firmware. I will
> > keep this step part of myth2ipod for now, until something can be
> > worked out.
> > Thanks

> > > I pondered making MP4Box an optional call in ipod.pm -- main problem I
> > > have is that it doesn't seem to be a standard package, which means that
> > > a lot of fedora/ubuntu users will be left without it)
> > >
> > > -Chris

lists at forevermore

Mar 8, 2006, 1:52 PM

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

> The only other issue is right now without the post-processing of
> MP4Box, generated files will not play on the newer firmware. I will
> keep this step part of myth2ipod for now, until something can be
> worked out.
> Thanks

Looks like mp4box is part of gpac, which I can get for ubuntu but not
fedora (although the ubuntu one won't install because of a missing
dependency)

I'd like to get it hooked up.. and if nothing else, could add a flag
for --mp4box or something like that for people who have it installed.
After all, it's best to have it all in one place, rather than split
commands like that between two scripts.

-Chris

lists at forevermore

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

I just thought I'd send out a quick note to you ipod users that I
changed the export container format from mov to mp4, which should
hopefully eliminate the need for mp4box.

I've also added experimental h264 support -- it does NOT work properly,
but I'm hoping that someone out there can help me figure out what's
wrong (I don't have a video-capable ipod to test with, which makes
things difficult).

-Chris

skd5aner at gmail

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

On 4/14/06, Chris Petersen <lists [at] forevermore> wrote:
> I just thought I'd send out a quick note to you ipod users that I
> changed the export container format from mov to mp4, which should
> hopefully eliminate the need for mp4box.
>
> I've also added experimental h264 support -- it does NOT work properly,
> but I'm hoping that someone out there can help me figure out what's
> wrong (I don't have a video-capable ipod to test with, which makes
> things difficult).

Thanks Chris! I really appreciate all your work on nuvexport (and
mythweb of course)

... now if my video iPod LCD wasn't cracked :-/

Matt

mboorshtein at gmail

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

ouch, that stinks. what are the advantages to moving to mp4 as
opposed to mov? To be honest i gave up on using my ipod for video
because of the battery and have been using my psp (though thx fo the
hard work on all counts, nuvexport is a great setup)

On 4/14/06, Matt <skd5aner [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 4/14/06, Chris Petersen <lists [at] forevermore> wrote:
> > I just thought I'd send out a quick note to you ipod users that I
> > changed the export container format from mov to mp4, which should
> > hopefully eliminate the need for mp4box.
> >
> > I've also added experimental h264 support -- it does NOT work properly,
> > but I'm hoping that someone out there can help me figure out what's
> > wrong (I don't have a video-capable ipod to test with, which makes
> > things difficult).
>

> Thanks Chris! I really appreciate all your work on nuvexport (and
> mythweb of course)
>
> ... now if my video iPod LCD wasn't cracked :-/
>
> Matt

lists at forevermore

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

Marc Boorshtein wrote:
> ouch, that stinks. what are the advantages to moving to mp4 as
> opposed to mov? To be honest i gave up on using my ipod for video
> because of the battery and have been using my psp (though thx fo the
> hard work on all counts, nuvexport is a great setup)

apparently, the new ipods need things to be in an mp4 container... or
so I gathered from myth2ipod requiring mp4box.

I don't even use my ipod for music anymore. battery only lasts like 20
minutes.

-Chris

mtdean at thirdcontact

Re: Nuvexport to iPod job [In reply to]

On 04/14/2006 06:03 PM, Marc Boorshtein wrote:
> ouch, that stinks. what are the advantages to moving to mp4 as
> opposed to mov? To be honest i gave up on using my ipod for video
> because of the battery and have been using my psp (though thx fo the
> hard work on all counts, nuvexport is a great setup)

As you top-posted, I'll assume you didn't read past the part where you
began inserting comments...

> On 4/14/06, Matt <skd5aner [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> On 4/14/06, Chris Petersen <lists [at] forevermore> wrote:
>>
>>> I just thought I'd send out a quick note to you ipod users that I
>>> changed the export container format from mov to mp4, which should
>>> hopefully eliminate the need for mp4box.

To this part (the line right above mine) that says the benefit...