Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

#1319 scheduler is sometimes recording wrong program (was Re: Yesterday's Grey's Anatomy wasn't recorded)

mtdean at thirdcontact

Feb 27, 2006, 12:22 PM

#1319 scheduler is sometimes recording wrong program (was Re: Yesterday's Grey's Anatomy wasn't recorded)

On 02/27/2006 09:59 AM, Dawning Sky wrote:
> Just found out that yesterday's Grey's Anantomy wasn't recorded on my
> mythbox. But the episode was in the listing. Anyone had a similar
> problem? I'm running Myth 0.19 from ATrpms.

I've seen this happen before. I missed an episode of Invasion. The
show was on the schedule, but got removed when the scheduler was getting
run and re-run while recording other shows that preceded Invasion.

I really think it's related to #1319 (
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1319 although it may not be the same
problem) as #1319 is a "temporary" condition. Basically, #1319 seems to
occur when mythfilldatabase replaces a previously-scheduled program in
the listings with a different program. By re-running the scheduler
(mythbackend --resched) you can fix it--it will then realize not to
record the new (non-matching) program.

The same applies to the problem you've seen (except that it's not due to
data being replaced in the listings). If you were to have noticed that
Grey's got removed from your schedule while recording other shows that
night, you could have run "mythbackend --resched" and it would have
re-appeared in the schedule. I've done this before when another program
was removed from the schedule.

Don't know if it's a race condition, but it's definitely unpredictable.
I've spent a bit of time trying to track it down, but didn't have any
breakthroughs...

Hope David Engel sees this... :)

Mike

gigem at comcast

Feb 27, 2006, 1:52 PM

Re: #1319 scheduler is sometimes recording wrong program (was Re: Yesterday's Grey's Anatomy wasn't recorded) [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 03:22:01PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Hope David Engel sees this... :)

I'm here, but have been terribly busy lately.

My suspicion about the missed Grey's Anatomy is the scheduler's
database connection died. I hadn't seen this problem myself until
yesterday. It happened again overnight. I don't know what to do
about it yet.

David
--
David Engel
gigem [at] comcast

mtdean at thirdcontact

Feb 27, 2006, 2:00 PM

Re: #1319 scheduler is sometimes recording wrong program (was Re: Yesterday's Grey's Anatomy wasn't recorded) [In reply to]

On 02/27/2006 04:52 PM, David Engel wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 03:22:01PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> Hope David Engel sees this... :)
>>

> I'm here, but have been terribly busy lately.

Yeah. I wasn't trying to be too pushy, but thought I'd mention your
name in case you're flagging messages that way... ;)

> My suspicion about the missed Grey's Anatomy is the scheduler's
> database connection died. I hadn't seen this problem myself until
> yesterday. It happened again overnight. I don't know what to do
> about it yet.

Don't know if you're talking about the MySQL 5 (and possibly 4.1)
database issues, but thought I'd weigh in with the fact that I'm using
MySQL 4.0.18, just in case that helps.

Thanks,
Mike

the.dawning.sky at gmail

Feb 27, 2006, 2:49 PM

Re: #1319 scheduler is sometimes recording wrong program (was Re: Yesterday's Grey's Anatomy wasn't recorded) [In reply to]

On 2/27/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:

> On 02/27/2006 04:52 PM, David Engel wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 03:22:01PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> >

> Yeah. I wasn't trying to be too pushy, but thought I'd mention your
> name in case you're flagging messages that way... ;)
>
> > My suspicion about the missed Grey's Anatomy is the scheduler's
> > database connection died. I hadn't seen this problem myself until
> > yesterday. It happened again overnight. I don't know what to do
> > about it yet.
> >

> Don't know if you're talking about the MySQL 5 (and possibly 4.1)
> database issues, but thought I'd weigh in with the fact that I'm using
> MySQL 4.0.18, just in case that helps.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

How can I check whether it was due to a database connection error. Nothing
in the mythbackend log suggests there was such an error, nor in mysqld.log,
as far as I can tell.

Thanks,

DS

gigem at comcast

Feb 27, 2006, 3:22 PM

Re: #1319 scheduler is sometimes recording wrong program (was Re: Yesterday's Grey's Anatomy wasn't recorded) [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 05:00:39PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 02/27/2006 04:52 PM, David Engel wrote:
> Don't know if you're talking about the MySQL 5 (and possibly 4.1)
> database issues, but thought I'd weigh in with the fact that I'm using
> MySQL 4.0.18, just in case that helps.

Yes, I was referring to the mysql5 problem.

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 02:49:38PM -0800, Dawning Sky wrote:
> How can I check whether it was due to a database connection error. Nothing
> in the mythbackend log suggests there was such an error, nor in mysqld.log,
> as far as I can tell.

Go to the upcoming recordings screen. If nothing is scheduled, the
the scheduler has probably lost its connection. To confirm run, run
"mythbackend --resched" and check your mythbackend.log.

David
--
David Engel
gigem [at] comcast

mtdean at thirdcontact

Mar 16, 2006, 5:23 AM

Re: #1319 scheduler is sometimes recording wrong program (was Re: Yesterday's Grey's Anatomy wasn't recorded) [In reply to]

On 02/27/2006 03:22 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>On 02/27/2006 09:59 AM, Dawning Sky wrote:
>

>>Just found out that yesterday's Grey's Anantomy wasn't recorded on my
>>mythbox. But the episode was in the listing. Anyone had a similar
>>problem? I'm running Myth 0.19 from ATrpms.
>>

>I've seen this happen before. I missed an episode of Invasion.

For the archives:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/188634#188634

Mike