Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

IR keyboard / remote problems

shanonmulleyster at gmail

Feb 25, 2006, 5:28 PM

IR keyboard / remote problems

Hello,

For the remote for my mythtv system, I decided on buying an IR
keyboard, then training a programmable remote control from the IR
keyboard.

Now this works fine, except for one minor point. Sometimes it gets
"stuck". If I'm scrolling up through a list of things in mythtv, and
then stop scrolling (with the remote), mythtv sometimes keeps
scrolling through the list, until I do something else with the remote.

Now I managed to determine that this had something to do with the
"Repeat Keys" option in linux (I'm using FC4), so I turned this off.
Now it works fine (doesnt get stuck while I'm scrolling).

--but--

It is kind of annoying having to to press "up up up up up up" when I
want to scroll through something, rather then just leaving my thumb on
"up".

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you deal with it?

Thanks.

ylee at pobox

Feb 25, 2006, 8:31 PM

Re: IR keyboard / remote problems [In reply to]

Shanon Mulley <shanonmulleyster [at] gmail> says:
> For the remote for my mythtv system, I decided on buying an IR
> keyboard, then training a programmable remote control from the IR
> keyboard.

I have an ACK-581 IR keyboard and have done the same thing with a
programmable remote.

> Now this works fine,

Better than fine, I've argued; no dealing with LIRC at
all. Transparency between the keyboard and remote setups is definitely
a virtue.

But . . .

> except for one minor point. Sometimes it gets "stuck". If I'm
> scrolling up through a list of things in mythtv, and then stop
> scrolling (with the remote), mythtv sometimes keeps scrolling
> through the list, until I do something else with the remote.

This is because keyboards send out two codes; one when the key is
depressed, and the other when the key is released. In our setups, keys
"stick" when the computer has seen the first code but not the second
for some reason.

> It is kind of annoying having to to press "up up up up up up" when I
> want to scroll through something, rather then just leaving my thumb on
> "up".

I'm surprised you ever got that working in the first place. On my
setup keys from the keyboard do indeed repeat as per the default, but
my remote doesn't work that way; it sends the codes for the programmed
key once and that's it. So I, too, have to "up up up" when I want to
go way up.

> Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you deal with it?

Fortunately, in most contexts, Page Up and Page Down (which I've
programmed the Channel Up and Down buttons as) serves as a nice
substitute. About the only time I have to go "up up up" is the volume,
and that's not a big deal.

--
Yeechang Lee <ylee [at] pobox> | +1 650 776 7763 | San Francisco CA US

shanonmulleyster at gmail

Feb 26, 2006, 1:07 AM

Re: IR keyboard / remote problems [In reply to]

Thanks,

The pageup/pagedown is a good idea, exept with my particular keyboard,
to get a pageup/pagedown, I need to hold down the shift and hit the up
or down button. This makes it pretty much impossible to program into
my remote (it will stop recording after I hit shift).

I was also hoping to get mythgame going (not that I really want to
play 10+ year old games - but I *can* do it, so I will have to do
it), and i doubt they will play well without Repeat Keys on.

Might see how that MCE remote is going in linux/myth these days...

On 2/26/06, Yeechang Lee <ylee [at] pobox> wrote:
> Shanon Mulley <shanonmulleyster [at] gmail> says:
> > For the remote for my mythtv system, I decided on buying an IR
> > keyboard, then training a programmable remote control from the IR
> > keyboard.
>
> I have an ACK-581 IR keyboard and have done the same thing with a
> programmable remote.
>
> > Now this works fine,
>
> Better than fine, I've argued; no dealing with LIRC at
> all. Transparency between the keyboard and remote setups is definitely
> a virtue.
>
> But . . .
>
> > except for one minor point. Sometimes it gets "stuck". If I'm
> > scrolling up through a list of things in mythtv, and then stop
> > scrolling (with the remote), mythtv sometimes keeps scrolling
> > through the list, until I do something else with the remote.
>
> This is because keyboards send out two codes; one when the key is
> depressed, and the other when the key is released. In our setups, keys
> "stick" when the computer has seen the first code but not the second
> for some reason.
>
> > It is kind of annoying having to to press "up up up up up up" when I
> > want to scroll through something, rather then just leaving my thumb on
> > "up".
>
> I'm surprised you ever got that working in the first place. On my
> setup keys from the keyboard do indeed repeat as per the default, but
> my remote doesn't work that way; it sends the codes for the programmed
> key once and that's it. So I, too, have to "up up up" when I want to
> go way up.
>
> > Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you deal with it?
>
> Fortunately, in most contexts, Page Up and Page Down (which I've
> programmed the Channel Up and Down buttons as) serves as a nice
> substitute. About the only time I have to go "up up up" is the volume,
> and that's not a big deal.
>
> --
> Yeechang Lee <ylee [at] pobox> | +1 650 776 7763 | San Francisco CA US

ve1gn at nb

Feb 26, 2006, 6:44 AM

Re: IR keyboard / remote problems [In reply to]

Shanon Mulley wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For the remote for my mythtv system, I decided on buying an IR
> keyboard, then training a programmable remote control from the IR
> keyboard.
>
> Now this works fine, except for one minor point. Sometimes it gets
> "stuck". If I'm scrolling up through a list of things in mythtv, and
> then stop scrolling (with the remote), mythtv sometimes keeps
> scrolling through the list, until I do something else with the remote.
>
> Now I managed to determine that this had something to do with the
> "Repeat Keys" option in linux (I'm using FC4), so I turned this off.
> Now it works fine (doesnt get stuck while I'm scrolling).
>
> --but--
>
> It is kind of annoying having to to press "up up up up up up" when I
> want to scroll through something, rather then just leaving my thumb on
> "up".
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you deal with it?
>
> Thanks.

I did manage to fix this once, seems to me in control centre, keyboard
screen I had to hit defaults and that fixed it up. I'm not 100 percent
sure of this fix though as it was quite a while ago.

cheers,
Rick