Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

mythweb upgrade woes

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

bhalter at armyofpenguins

Feb 12, 2006, 12:57 PM

mythweb upgrade woes

I'm trying to upgrade mythweb to .19 and having problems. I have
checked the .htaccess file and everything looks OK. When I try to go to
http://<server>/mythweb I get the directory listing and if I go to
http://<server>/mythweb/mythweb.php I get an error about the database
not being properly configured. I had a working version of mythweb .18.1
installed, and have checked that mod_env and mod_rewrite are installed
and loaded in Apache2. This is on a Gentoo AMD64 system.

philledwards at gmail

Feb 12, 2006, 2:13 PM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

> I'm trying to upgrade mythweb to .19 and having problems. I have
> checked the .htaccess file and everything looks OK. When I try to go to
> http://<server>/mythweb I get the directory listing and if I go to
> http://<server>/mythweb/mythweb.php I get an error about the database
> not being properly configured. I had a working version of mythweb .18.1
> installed, and have checked that mod_env and mod_rewrite are installed
> and loaded in Apache2. This is on a Gentoo AMD64 system.

Sorry if this is obvious, but did you also upgrade to 0.19 of MythTV?
I doubt Mythweb 0.19 would work with 0.18.x.

Regards,
Phill

lists at forevermore

Feb 12, 2006, 2:14 PM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

> I'm trying to upgrade mythweb to .19 and having problems. I have
> checked the .htaccess file and everything looks OK. When I try to go to
> http://<server>/mythweb I get the directory listing and if I go to
> http://<server>/mythweb/mythweb.php I get an error about the database
> not being properly configured. I had a working version of mythweb .18.1
> installed, and have checked that mod_env and mod_rewrite are installed
> and loaded in Apache2. This is on a Gentoo AMD64 system.

Did you read through the new .htaccess file? If you're getting db
errors, then either the AllowOverride settings are not correct, or your
mod_env is not installed properly.

-Chris

bhalter at armyofpenguins

Feb 12, 2006, 3:25 PM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [FIXED] [In reply to]

Bryan Halter wrote:

>I'm trying to upgrade mythweb to .19 and having problems. I have
>checked the .htaccess file and everything looks OK. When I try to go to
>http://<server>/mythweb I get the directory listing and if I go to
>http://<server>/mythweb/mythweb.php I get an error about the database
>not being properly configured. I had a working version of mythweb .18.1
>installed, and have checked that mod_env and mod_rewrite are installed
>and loaded in Apache2. This is on a Gentoo AMD64 system.

Fixed...Turns out I was getting caught on the default vhost which was
set to AllowOverride None so even though I was changing the overrides on
/ it had no effect.

--Bryan

lists at forevermore

Feb 12, 2006, 3:31 PM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [FIXED] [In reply to]

> Fixed...Turns out I was getting caught on the default vhost which was
> set to AllowOverride None so even though I was changing the overrides on
> / it had no effect.

Most default apache config files turn off all features for / as a
security measure, and then let you turn things back on for
subdirectories as you see fit. It's a good idea to stick to this.

-Chris

jra at baylink

Feb 12, 2006, 5:07 PM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 02:14:50PM -0800, Chris Petersen wrote:
> > I'm trying to upgrade mythweb to .19 and having problems. I have
> > checked the .htaccess file and everything looks OK. When I try to go to
> > http://<server>/mythweb I get the directory listing and if I go to
> > http://<server>/mythweb/mythweb.php I get an error about the database
> > not being properly configured. I had a working version of mythweb .18.1
> > installed, and have checked that mod_env and mod_rewrite are installed
> > and loaded in Apache2. This is on a Gentoo AMD64 system.
>
> Did you read through the new .htaccess file? If you're getting db
> errors, then either the AllowOverride settings are not correct, or your
> mod_env is not installed properly.

I did, actually, expand the note about this on the Release Notes page,
Chris. We try. :-)

Cheers
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth jra [at] baylink
Designer Baylink RFC 2100

A: No.
Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?

jonnylinux at gmail

Feb 13, 2006, 9:48 AM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

> Did you read through the new .htaccess file? If you're getting db

> > errors, then either the AllowOverride settings are not correct, or your
> > mod_env is not installed properly.
>
> I did, actually, expand the note about this on the Release Notes page,
> Chris. We try. :-)

I don't know if this is your problem, but I read both config files and it
still didn't work. I then looked at /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf which has an
AllowOverride option. There's 2; the first is within a <DIRECTORY /> tag,
and one is further down the file. I changed the second AllowOverride
parameter to say "AllowOverride All", instead of "AllowOverride None".

I don't know if any distributions use "AllowOverride None" by default, and I
think I may have changed it myself a few months ago. But its possible this
is your problem.

Hope that helps,

Jonny

shawnuth at gmail

Feb 13, 2006, 2:17 PM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

jonny Linux wrote:

> > Did you read through the new .htaccess file? If you're getting db
>

>>>errors, then either the AllowOverride settings are not correct, or your
>>>mod_env is not installed properly.
>>>

>>I did, actually, expand the note about this on the Release Notes page,
>>Chris. We try. :-)
>>

>I don't know if this is your problem, but I read both config files and it
>still didn't work. I then looked at /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf which has an
>AllowOverride option. There's 2; the first is within a <DIRECTORY /> tag,
>and one is further down the file. I changed the second AllowOverride
>parameter to say "AllowOverride All", instead of "AllowOverride None".
>
>I don't know if any distributions use "AllowOverride None" by default, and I
>think I may have changed it myself a few months ago. But its possible this
>is your problem.
>
>Hope that helps,
>
>Jonny

I had the same problem today when trying to upgrade, so I followed the
instructions and edited my .htaccess file.. then I went into my
httpd.conf file and added the following entry:

<Directory /var/www/htdocs/mythweb>
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride All
</Directory>

Where <Directory /var/www/htdocs/mythweb> should point to where you've
copied the mythweb plugin. After doing this, restart Apache and
everything should be fine. (Not sure if anyone has said this previously
in this thread, I'm too lazy to scroll back)

--Shawn

lists at forevermore

Feb 13, 2006, 3:00 PM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

> I don't know if this is your problem, but I read both config files and it
> still didn't work. I then looked at /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf which has an
> AllowOverride option. There's 2; the first is within a <DIRECTORY /> tag,
> and one is further down the file. I changed the second AllowOverride
> parameter to say "AllowOverride All", instead of "AllowOverride None".
>
> I don't know if any distributions use "AllowOverride None" by default, and I
> think I may have changed it myself a few months ago. But its possible this
> is your problem.

Like I said earlier in this thread:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/181882#181882

-Chris

bubbaslash at gmail

Feb 13, 2006, 6:22 PM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

On 2/13/06, jonny Linux <jonnylinux [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Did you read through the new .htaccess file? If you're getting db
>
> > > errors, then either the AllowOverride settings are not correct, or your
> > > mod_env is not installed properly.
> >
> > I did, actually, expand the note about this on the Release Notes page,
> > Chris. We try. :-)
>

> I don't know if this is your problem, but I read both config files and it
> still didn't work. I then looked at /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf which has an
> AllowOverride option. There's 2; the first is within a <DIRECTORY /> tag,
> and one is further down the file. I changed the second AllowOverride
> parameter to say "AllowOverride All", instead of "AllowOverride None".
>
> I don't know if any distributions use "AllowOverride None" by default, and I
> think I may have changed it myself a few months ago. But its possible this
> is your problem.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Jonny

My FC4 defaults had this problem as well. The first AllowOverride is
in <Directory />, but there is a second about 35 lines down in
<Directory "/var/www/html">. Both need to be changed to
"AllowOverride All".

lists at forevermore

Feb 13, 2006, 6:46 PM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

> My FC4 defaults had this problem as well. The first AllowOverride is
> in <Directory />, but there is a second about 35 lines down in
> <Directory "/var/www/html">. Both need to be changed to
> "AllowOverride All".

No, both do NOT have to be changed. The first one (for /) *should* be
set to none, as doing otherwise encompasses a possible security risk.

The second one (for /var/www/html, or as I change it, for /var/www) is
the only one that needs to be changed. Heck, you could put your own in
for /var/www/html/mythweb/ and it'd work, too.

-Chris

shawnuth at gmail

Feb 13, 2006, 7:23 PM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

Chris Petersen wrote:

>>My FC4 defaults had this problem as well. The first AllowOverride is
>>in <Directory />, but there is a second about 35 lines down in
>><Directory "/var/www/html">. Both need to be changed to
>>"AllowOverride All".
>>

>No, both do NOT have to be changed. The first one (for /) *should* be
>set to none, as doing otherwise encompasses a possible security risk.
>
>The second one (for /var/www/html, or as I change it, for /var/www) is
>the only one that needs to be changed. Heck, you could put your own in
>for /var/www/html/mythweb/ and it'd work, too.
>
>-Chris

Like I said earlier in this thread:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/182147?do=post_view_threaded#182147

-Shawn

lists at forevermore

Feb 13, 2006, 7:25 PM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

>> No, both do NOT have to be changed. The first one (for /) *should* be
>> set to none, as doing otherwise encompasses a possible security risk.
>>
>> The second one (for /var/www/html, or as I change it, for /var/www) is
>> the only one that needs to be changed. Heck, you could put your own in
>> for /var/www/html/mythweb/ and it'd work, too.
>>
>> -Chris
>>

> Like I said earlier in this thread:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/182147?do=post_view_threaded#182147

exactly. I'll add something like this to the readme just so people can
understand...

-Chris

saintdev at gmail

Feb 13, 2006, 11:51 PM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

I'm getting almost the same problem as the OP, but I have everything
setup correctly. The <Directory /> has both AllowOverride, and
FollowSymLinks, mod_rewrite, and mod_env are enabled. Now I finally
found that mythweb/info.php gives me phpinfo() output. Here's what I
get for the env vars:

_SERVER["REDIRECT_db_server"] localhost
_SERVER["REDIRECT_db_name"] mythconverg
_SERVER["REDIRECT_db_login"] mythtv
_SERVER["REDIRECT_db_password"] **********

Anyone know why this would be?

-Nathan

fox.michael at gmail

Feb 14, 2006, 12:01 AM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

On 2/14/06, Nathan Caldwell <saintdev [at] gmail> wrote:

> _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_server"] localhost
> _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_name"] mythconverg
> _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_login"] mythtv
> _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_password"] **********

And these are incorrect?

saintdev at gmail

Feb 14, 2006, 12:08 AM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

On 2/14/06, Michael Fox <fox.michael [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 2/14/06, Nathan Caldwell <saintdev [at] gmail> wrote:
> >
> > _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_server"] localhost
> > _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_name"] mythconverg
> > _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_login"] mythtv
> > _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_password"] **********
>

> And these are incorrect?

Well seeing as in mythweb/include/init.php it has the following:

> // No database connection info defined?
> if (empty($_SERVER['db_server']) || empty($_SERVER['db_name']) || empty($_SERVER['db_login'])) {
> require_once 'templates/_db_vars_error.php';
> exit;
> }

In other words it's looking for the vars without the appended
'REDIRECT_' I would say that they're incorrect.

-Nathan.

jonnylinux at gmail

Feb 14, 2006, 12:21 AM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

> Like I said earlier in this thread:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/181882#181882

Oh yes - sorry - GMail separated the thread into two (one had [FIXED] at the
end so I didn't see it!)

I'm now very confused by another upgrade issue:

With 0.18.1 the url http://server/mythweb/ redirected to
http://server/mythweb/program_listing.php

Now I've upgraded, when I go to http://server/mythweb/ it still redirects to
program_listing.php. Even though there isn't one. If I go to
http://server/mythweb/mythweb.php, it works fine.

Does anybody know what's causing the redirection?

Thanks,

Jonny

lists at forevermore

Feb 14, 2006, 12:23 AM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

> I'm getting almost the same problem as the OP, but I have everything
> setup correctly. The <Directory /> has both AllowOverride, and
> FollowSymLinks, mod_rewrite, and mod_env are enabled. Now I finally
> found that mythweb/info.php gives me phpinfo() output. Here's what I
> get for the env vars:
>
> _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_server"] localhost
> _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_name"] mythconverg
> _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_login"] mythtv
> _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_password"] **********
>
> Anyone know why this would be?

How many times do I have to say this... <Directory /> should have
AllowOverride set to none. always.

there is ANOTHER <Directory> call further down (usually for something
like /var/www/html) that should have the correct settings.

As for your server vars, looks like something weird set up in your php
or mod_redirect settings. But wtf is info.php? did your distro add it?
(if so, I should slap the packager because leaving that kind of thing
enabled is a nice security hole waiting to be exploited).

-Chris

lists at forevermore

Feb 14, 2006, 12:24 AM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

> With 0.18.1 the url http://server/mythweb/ redirected to
> http://server/mythweb/program_listing.php
>
> Now I've upgraded, when I go to http://server/mythweb/ it still redirects to
> program_listing.php. Even though there isn't one. If I go to
> http://server/mythweb/mythweb.php, it works fine.
>
> Does anybody know what's causing the redirection?

You probably have an old entry in the .htaccess file doing the
forwarding, or an index.php file that your distro packager put in
without realizing about the new version... or maybe just an old bookmark?

-Chris

saintdev at gmail

Feb 14, 2006, 12:34 AM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

On 2/14/06, Chris Petersen <lists [at] forevermore> wrote:
> > I'm getting almost the same problem as the OP, but I have everything
> > setup correctly. The <Directory /> has both AllowOverride, and
> > FollowSymLinks, mod_rewrite, and mod_env are enabled. Now I finally
> > found that mythweb/info.php gives me phpinfo() output. Here's what I
> > get for the env vars:
> >
> > _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_server"] localhost
> > _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_name"] mythconverg
> > _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_login"] mythtv
> > _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_password"] **********
> >
> > Anyone know why this would be?
>
> How many times do I have to say this... <Directory /> should have
> AllowOverride set to none. always.
>
> there is ANOTHER <Directory> call further down (usually for something
> like /var/www/html) that should have the correct settings.

Yes, this I know. I didn't feel like typing the whole thing out (yes
I'm lazy :). Here's the complete <Directory> so that you know we're on
the same page.
> <Directory "/var/www/localhost/htdocs/mythweb">
> Options FollowSymLinks
> AllowOverride All
> </Directory>

> As for your server vars, looks like something weird set up in your php
> or mod_redirect settings. But wtf is info.php? did your distro add it?
> (if so, I should slap the packager because leaving that kind of thing
> enabled is a nice security hole waiting to be exploited).

Now that you mention it, I did put that there. That was a long time
ago when I was trying to setup the /mythweb directory to use php4 CGI.

> -Chris

saintdev at gmail

Feb 14, 2006, 12:52 AM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

On 2/14/06, Chris Petersen <lists [at] forevermore> wrote:
> > With 0.18.1 the url http://server/mythweb/ redirected to
> > http://server/mythweb/program_listing.php
> >
> > Now I've upgraded, when I go to http://server/mythweb/ it still redirects to
> > program_listing.php. Even though there isn't one. If I go to
> > http://server/mythweb/mythweb.php, it works fine.
> >
> > Does anybody know what's causing the redirection?
>
> You probably have an old entry in the .htaccess file doing the
> forwarding, or an index.php file that your distro packager put in
> without realizing about the new version... or maybe just an old bookmark?
>
> -Chris

1) Try clearing your browser cache.
2) If you're using Gentoo, I found I had to do the following to get
mythweb installed correctly. It seems that the ebuild attempts to
upgrade mythweb with webapp-config, but webapp-config can't do this,
so it just copies over what it can, leaving the old files intact.
------------------
# webapp-config -C -d /mythtv mythtv 0.19
# rm -rf /var/www/localhost/htdocs/mythtv
# webapp-config -I -d /mythtv mythtv 0.19
------------------
3) edit your config/config.php and .htaccess again
4) if you didn't before, clear your browser cache now

This still didn't solve my REDIRECT_ problem, but now I at least have
a clean install.

-Nathan

kalweit at exorpro

Feb 14, 2006, 1:01 AM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [FIXED] [In reply to]

Bryan Halter schrieb:
> Fixed...Turns out I was getting caught on the default vhost which was
> set to AllowOverride None so even though I was changing the overrides on
> / it had no effect.
>
> --Bryan

Same problem here. I think gentoo configure apache with one default
vhost and include a config file into httpd.conf. So settings in
httpd.conf has no effect.
Maybe it is a good idea to add a hint into README, to look out for
vhosts if it is not working. Anyway, new mythweb is nice ;-)

Kristian.

saintdev at gmail

Feb 14, 2006, 2:03 AM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

On 2/14/06, Nathan Caldwell <saintdev [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 2/14/06, Chris Petersen <lists [at] forevermore> wrote:
> > > I'm getting almost the same problem as the OP, but I have everything
> > > setup correctly. The <Directory /> has both AllowOverride, and
> > > FollowSymLinks, mod_rewrite, and mod_env are enabled. Now I finally
> > > found that mythweb/info.php gives me phpinfo() output. Here's what I
> > > get for the env vars:
> > >
> > > _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_server"] localhost
> > > _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_name"] mythconverg
> > > _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_login"] mythtv
> > > _SERVER["REDIRECT_db_password"] **********
> > >
> > > Anyone know why this would be?
> >
> > As for your server vars, looks like something weird set up in your php
> > or mod_redirect settings. But wtf is info.php? did your distro add it?
> > (if so, I should slap the packager because leaving that kind of thing
> > enabled is a nice security hole waiting to be exploited).
>
> Now that you mention it, I did put that there. That was a long time
> ago when I was trying to setup the /mythweb directory to use php4 CGI.
>
> > -Chris

Ok after a little more hunting it looks like when Apache does a
redirect it prepends REDIRECT_ to any previously existing evnironment
variables. The way I have php setup for the mythweb directory is

ScriptAlias /php4-cgi/ /usr/lib/php4/bin/
AddHandler php4-cgi .php4 .php3 .phtml .php
Action php4-cgi /php4-cgi/php-cgi
AddDirectoryIndex index.php

Apache sees this as a redirect, and thus changes the env variables.

-Nathan

jra at baylink

Feb 14, 2006, 7:16 AM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 07:25:08PM -0800, Chris Petersen wrote:
> > Like I said earlier in this thread:
> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/182147?do=post_view_threaded#182147
>
> exactly. I'll add something like this to the readme just so people can
> understand...

I've linked that thread from the release notes page as well.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth jra [at] baylink
Designer Baylink RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates The Things I Think '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA http://baylink.pitas.com +1 727 647 1274

A: No.
Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?

jonnylinux at gmail

Feb 14, 2006, 11:22 AM

Re: mythweb upgrade woes [In reply to]

> 1) Try clearing your browser cache.

Thanks Nathan, it was the browser cache. I assumed it would check for a
newer page - I should have tried that already!

Thanks again,

Jonny