Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

suggestion

ashu.desai at gmail

Dec 22, 2005, 8:35 AM

suggestion

Hello all,
I was wondering if there is a way to append the saved positions we have
right now. Is it possible to add a few "memory" saves when we save the
position? So when we want to start from the saved position, it actually asks
us if we want to start at

1. 0: 0:13
2. 0:10:11
3 1:04:20
.
.
.
Maybe upto 5 or 6 would be great. This would be really helpful in Myth
Videos where FF and RWD is just plain torture. Also, this would be a GREAT
help when you and her both want to stop at different points. If she stops
first, she can save one position and if u stop later, she doesn't need to
miss that part or you won't need to see the stuff u already saw. Not sure if
someone is already working on this, but just something I would love to have.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

thanks,
Ash.

--
Affordable web-hosting, professional service.
http://www.eHostingCenter.net

knowledgejunkie at gmail

Dec 22, 2005, 9:59 PM

Re: suggestion [In reply to]

On 22/12/05, A Desai <ashu.desai [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I was wondering if there is a way to append the saved positions we have
> right now. Is it possible to add a few "memory" saves when we save the
> position? So when we want to start from the saved position, it actually asks
> us if we want to start at
>
> 1. 0: 0:13
> 2. 0:10:11
> 3 1:04:20
> .
> .
> .
> Maybe upto 5 or 6 would be great. This would be really helpful in Myth
> Videos where FF and RWD is just plain torture. Also, this would be a GREAT
> help when you and her both want to stop at different points. If she stops
> first, she can save one position and if u stop later, she doesn't need to
> miss that part or you won't need to see the stuff u already saw. Not sure if
> someone is already working on this, but just something I would love to have.

A great suggestion - with a thumbnail from the bookmark so you can
instantly see where the bookmark is in the video, this would be great
for being able to mark points in the video whilst watching which you
could flip back to quickly.

Nick

schachte at csse

Dec 25, 2005, 10:08 PM

Re: suggestion [In reply to]

A Desai wrote:

> Hello all,
> I was wondering if there is a way to append the saved positions we
> have right now. Is it possible to add a few "memory" saves when we
> save the position? So when we want to start from the saved position,
> it actually asks us if we want to start at
>
> 1. 0: 0:13
> 2. 0:10:11
> 3 1:04:20

Sounds good.

Along the same lines, what I would find useful would be for Myth to also
remember who wants to watch a show, and who has already watched it. So
when you schedule a program for recording, you specify who would want to
watch it (from a list of household members you've preconfigured). When
you go to delete a program, it shows you who it thinks wants to watch it
but hasn't yet, and allows you to remove from the list rather than
deleting outright.

Similarly, when you stop watching a show and save your position, you
could be offered a list of household members to tag that position with.
Then when you start watching a show, it could show you a menu of saved
positions, with names attached, to select from, or let you start from
the beginning. This would be better than choosing based in time into
the show, because who can really remember whether they were 17:28 or
23:42 into that episode of "Lost" they didn't get to finish watching 3
days ago?

The other good thing about remembering who wants to watch what is that
if you tell it who you are when you sit down to watch TV, you could be
presented with a list of programs *you* want to watch, with the ones
you've watched part of at the top of the list. Better still if you
could tell it everyone who is in the room, and have it show you a list
of what anyone there wants to watch, with priority given to the programs
the most people there want to watch.

--
Peter Schachte Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than
schachte [at] cs you expect, even when you take Hofstadter's Law

ashu.desai at gmail

Jan 4, 2006, 7:55 AM

Re: suggestion [In reply to]

That seems to be a great idea, to have a thumbnail, just so that it's more
convenient for people to remember where they left off, rather than just the
time.

Any mythguru in here who can take this up???

--a--