Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

frontend on windows XP

joukio at gmail

Sep 16, 2005, 7:40 AM

frontend on windows XP

hello,
does anyone have experience with a full frontend of mythtv on windows XP???
Most frontends I have running are diskless clients and just running debian,
but I find it a bit expensive to buy a computer for the kids to allow them
to do theyre homework and stuff on it and buy another PC to give them access
to mythtv backends. I would like to just have one computer for them each
with windows XP on it and a mythfrontend on it.
grtz
Jouk

johnny at fishcounts

Sep 16, 2005, 7:49 AM

RE: frontend on windows XP [In reply to]

mythtweb + dsmyth not good enough? not sure how stable winmyth is yet.

http://dsmyth.sourceforge.net/

http://winmyth.sourceforge.net/

_____

Johnny Lee

_____

does anyone have experience with a full frontend of mythtv on windows XP???
Most frontends I have running are diskless clients and just running debian,
but I find it a bit expensive to buy a computer for the kids to allow them
to do theyre homework and stuff on it and buy another PC to give them access
to mythtv backends. I would like to just have one computer for them each
with windows XP on it and a mythfrontend on it.

grtz
Jouk

joukio at gmail

Sep 16, 2005, 7:51 AM

Re: frontend on windows XP [In reply to]

thnx, I will look into them whem I find the time.

On 9/16/05, johnny [at] fishcounts <johnny [at] fishcounts> wrote:

> mythtweb + dsmyth not good enough? not sure how stable winmyth is yet.
> http://dsmyth.sourceforge.net/
> http://winmyth.sourceforge.net/
> **
> ------------------------------
> *Johnny Lee
> *
>
> ------------------------------

pwilliamson at mandtbank

Sep 16, 2005, 7:55 AM

Re: frontend on windows XP [In reply to]

>>> "AJ Hettema" <joukio [at] gmail> 09/16/05 10:40 AM >>>
> hello,
> does anyone have experience with a full frontend of mythtv
> on windows XP???

DSMyth filters. Otherwise, not really.

> Most frontends I have running are diskless clients and just running
> debian, but I find it a bit expensive to buy a computer for the kids

> to allow them to do theyre homework and stuff on it and buy another
> PC to give them access to mythtv backends. I would like to just have

> one computer for them each with windows XP on it and a
> mythfrontend on it.
>
> grtz
> Jouk

A few suggestions...

1. Knoppmyth. Just document what ip addresses and other settings
need to be changed. Inconvenient, but easily the least expensive.

2. VMWare. Just have another partition loaded up with a regular
frontend.

3. Ditch Windows. My kids use KDE on one of the myth frontends.
It was a little difficult for the first few weeks, but they have
adjusted
fine and are able to do anything any of thier friends can do. The
usb drive my 10 year old uses for school loads up fine from the
windows box at school to the linux box at home.

Paul

greg at phaze

Sep 16, 2005, 8:33 AM

Re: frontend on windows XP [In reply to]

> 2. VMWare. Just have another partition loaded up with a regular
> frontend.

Or dual boot / use loadlin as an icon on the desktop to jump to linux.

greg at phaze

Sep 16, 2005, 8:34 AM

Re: frontend on windows XP [In reply to]

> Most frontends I have running are diskless clients and just running debian,

Actually why not just turn their machine into a floppy diskless booting i
frontend? When they want to boot up myth push in the floppy, if not pop it out.

anaerin at gmail

Sep 16, 2005, 8:38 AM

Re: frontend on windows XP [In reply to]

On 16/09/05, PAUL WILLIAMSON <pwilliamson [at] mandtbank> wrote:
> > hello,
> > does anyone have experience with a full frontend of mythtv
> > on windows XP???
>
> DSMyth filters. Otherwise, not really.
>
> > Most frontends I have running are diskless clients and just running
> > debian, but I find it a bit expensive to buy a computer for the kids
>
> > to allow them to do theyre homework and stuff on it and buy another
> > PC to give them access to mythtv backends. I would like to just have
>
> > one computer for them each with windows XP on it and a
> > mythfrontend on it.
> >
> > grtz
> > Jouk
>
> A few suggestions...
>
> 1. Knoppmyth. Just document what ip addresses and other settings
> need to be changed. Inconvenient, but easily the least expensive.
>
> 2. VMWare. Just have another partition loaded up with a regular
> frontend.
>
> 3. Ditch Windows. My kids use KDE on one of the myth frontends.
> It was a little difficult for the first few weeks, but they have
> adjusted
> fine and are able to do anything any of thier friends can do. The
> usb drive my 10 year old uses for school loads up fine from the
> windows box at school to the linux box at home.

4. Bochs. It's like a free version of VMWare.

5. CoLinux. Who needs to exit Windows to get into Linux these days anyway...?
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston

dsmolka at gmail

Sep 16, 2005, 8:48 AM

Re: frontend on windows XP [In reply to]

> A few suggestions...
>
> 1. Knoppmyth. Just document what ip addresses and other settings
> need to be changed. Inconvenient, but easily the least expensive.

I'll second this, but with one caveat: you have to make sure that your
Knoppmyth disc is the same Myth version as your BE or else you'll get
db connection errors.

<snip>
> 3. Ditch Windows. My kids use KDE on one of the myth frontends.
> It was a little difficult for the first few weeks, but they have
> adjusted fine and are able to do anything any of thier friends can do. The
> usb drive my 10 year old uses for school loads up fine from the
> windows box at school to the linux box at home.
>
> Paul

I'll second this as well. It may seem impossible at first but there's
really nothing outside of games on MS Windows that a good Linux system
can't do (except maybe trojans, viruses, and DRM), and an awful lot on
Linux that MS can't or won't do (generating pdfs, managing separate
network interfaces and subnets, customizing, tweaking, scripting,
logging, going months without a reboot, etc).

When I first built a Myth box about as year and a half ago, I was also
looking for a way to make it work with my MS XP laptop. It didn't, at
least not well, and was generally a pain.

I ended up installing FC3 and making it dual-boot, which solved all
the Myth problems. It also means that I've been using MS a lot less as
time has gone on, and don't really miss it at all (though I must admit
I do still boot to MS from time to time to play Railroad Tycoon).

I guess the answer is that you can probably get some of the
funtionality of Myth on MS Windows, but it's easier in the short-run
to set up a dual boot or Linux-only system as a frontend, and better
in the long-run for all of us -- as the Linux user base increases, so
do the number and quality of apps, the level of hardware support from
vendors, and the speed with which improvements are made and
incorporated.

Also, it's a common misconception that computers in general and Linux
in particular are difficult for kids. This couldn't be further from
the truth -- just remember when you were young and were the only one
in your house that could figure out how to program the VCR.

Give a kid MS Windows, and he'll (or she'll) learn how to point and
click. Give a kid Linux and he'll learn how computers work. Don't give
them the root password and there's only so much they can screw up.
Can't say that about XP.

Good luck

joukio at gmail

Sep 16, 2005, 11:16 AM

Re: frontend on windows XP [In reply to]

hi all,
I agree with the fact that the kids are probably better of with Linux as
with Winblows XP. But there is a small problem:
they need to use software from/fore school wich only runs on Windows XP.
I think I'll end up on installing 2 machine's anyway. for making it easy.
And for the record, the youngest one (almost 5 years old) can't read, but
knows how to login on a command line already :D,
and I will give them the local root password, cause you will only learn how
computers work if you can screw them and install it all over again.
greatings

On 9/16/05, Dewey Smolka <dsmolka [at] gmail> wrote:

> > A few suggestions...
> >
> > 1. Knoppmyth. Just document what ip addresses and other settings
> > need to be changed. Inconvenient, but easily the least expensive.
>
> I'll second this, but with one caveat: you have to make sure that your
> Knoppmyth disc is the same Myth version as your BE or else you'll get
> db connection errors.
>
> <snip>
> > 3. Ditch Windows. My kids use KDE on one of the myth frontends.
> > It was a little difficult for the first few weeks, but they have
> > adjusted fine and are able to do anything any of thier friends can do.
> The
> > usb drive my 10 year old uses for school loads up fine from the
> > windows box at school to the linux box at home.
> >
> > Paul
>
> I'll second this as well. It may seem impossible at first but there's
> really nothing outside of games on MS Windows that a good Linux system
> can't do (except maybe trojans, viruses, and DRM), and an awful lot on
> Linux that MS can't or won't do (generating pdfs, managing separate
> network interfaces and subnets, customizing, tweaking, scripting,
> logging, going months without a reboot, etc).
>
> When I first built a Myth box about as year and a half ago, I was also
> looking for a way to make it work with my MS XP laptop. It didn't, at
> least not well, and was generally a pain.
>
> I ended up installing FC3 and making it dual-boot, which solved all
> the Myth problems. It also means that I've been using MS a lot less as
> time has gone on, and don't really miss it at all (though I must admit
> I do still boot to MS from time to time to play Railroad Tycoon).
>
> I guess the answer is that you can probably get some of the
> funtionality of Myth on MS Windows, but it's easier in the short-run
> to set up a dual boot or Linux-only system as a frontend, and better
> in the long-run for all of us -- as the Linux user base increases, so
> do the number and quality of apps, the level of hardware support from
> vendors, and the speed with which improvements are made and
> incorporated.
>
> Also, it's a common misconception that computers in general and Linux
> in particular are difficult for kids. This couldn't be further from
> the truth -- just remember when you were young and were the only one
> in your house that could figure out how to program the VCR.
>
> Give a kid MS Windows, and he'll (or she'll) learn how to point and
> click. Give a kid Linux and he'll learn how computers work. Don't give
> them the root password and there's only so much they can screw up.
> Can't say that about XP.
>
> Good luck

thekazan at gmail

Sep 16, 2005, 11:22 AM

Re: frontend on windows XP [In reply to]

Have you tried getting it to work under Wine :P

joukio at gmail

Sep 16, 2005, 11:25 AM

Re: frontend on windows XP [In reply to]

nope, and I think I'll stuck to my netbootable clients and install and buy
two machines.