Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Starting mythtv using LIRC?

 

 

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


simon.hampton at freebel

Jun 4, 2005, 12:55 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1386 views)
Permalink
Starting mythtv using LIRC?

I use KDE and want to set the TV button my remote to start mythtv. Any ideas
how to do this - i've tried using irxevent to pass a ctrl-t (which is the
hotkey i setup in kde for mythtv) but that did not work.

Simon


mtdean at thirdcontact

Jun 4, 2005, 1:15 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1346 views)
Permalink
Re: Starting mythtv using LIRC? [In reply to]

Sim wrote:

>I use KDE and want to set the TV button my remote to start mythtv. Any ideas
>how to do this - i've tried using irxevent to pass a ctrl-t (which is the
>hotkey i setup in kde for mythtv) but that did not work.
>
>
man irexec

No hotkeys needed.

Mike
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


knowledgejunkie at gmail

Jun 4, 2005, 4:36 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1348 views)
Permalink
Re: Starting mythtv using LIRC? [In reply to]

On 6/4/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:
> Sim wrote:
>
> >I use KDE and want to set the TV button my remote to start mythtv. Any ideas
> >how to do this - i've tried using irxevent to pass a ctrl-t (which is the
> >hotkey i setup in kde for mythtv) but that did not work.
> >
> >
> man irexec

This is how I do it - drop a link to irexec in ~/.kde/Autostart
telling it to use the .lircrc file with a suitably configured button
(typically the ON/POWER button) which in turn runs a script that
either starts the frontend is one isn't running, or if it is and has
crashed, restarts it.

Check out the myth power button script on Jarod's MythTV howto pages.

Nick
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


petercable at gmail

Jun 4, 2005, 11:23 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1342 views)
Permalink
Re: Starting mythtv using LIRC? [In reply to]

On 6/4/05, Nick <knowledgejunkie [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 6/4/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:
> > Sim wrote:
> >
> > >I use KDE and want to set the TV button my remote to start mythtv. Any
> ideas
> > >how to do this - i've tried using irxevent to pass a ctrl-t (which is
> the
> > >hotkey i setup in kde for mythtv) but that did not work.
> > >
> > >

I use irexec to do this. Here's the relevant section from my .lircrc

# Power Off/Exit
begin
prog = irexec
button = POWER
repeat = 4
config = /home/pete/.fluxbox/startmyth.pl
end

and here is my script to start myth...

#!/usr/bin/perl

$pid=`pgrep mythfrontend`;

if ($pid) {
print "mythfrontend running, $pid\n";
}
else {
print "starting mythfrontend\n";
system("mythfrontend &");
}

The script just keeps you from accidentally firing off a 2nd
mythfrontend when one is already running. All you need after that is
to make sure irexec is running. I have a script that runs on login to
fluxbox to fire off irexec, once again just making sure I don't end up
with two copies running:

#!/bin/bash
killall irexec
irexec &

Hope this helps...
--
Pete
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


simon.hampton at freebel

Jun 5, 2005, 12:17 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1338 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Starting mythtv using LIRC? [In reply to]

On Sunday 05 June 2005 08:23, Pete Cable wrote:
> On 6/4/05, Nick <knowledgejunkie [at] gmail> wrote:
> > On 6/4/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:
> > > Sim wrote:
> > > >I use KDE and want to set the TV button my remote to start mythtv.
> > > > Any
> >
> > ideas
> >
> > > >how to do this - i've tried using irxevent to pass a ctrl-t (which is
> >
> > the
> >
> > > >hotkey i setup in kde for mythtv) but that did not work.
>
> I use irexec to do this. Here's the relevant section from my .lircrc

Thanks everyone - I've got it working rst ever perl script later :-)
Simon
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mario.mailing at gmail

Jun 5, 2005, 8:53 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1319 views)
Permalink
Re: Re: Starting mythtv using LIRC? [In reply to]

Sim wrote:

>On Sunday 05 June 2005 08:23, Pete Cable wrote:
>
>
>>On 6/4/05, Nick <knowledgejunkie [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>On 6/4/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>Sim wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>I use KDE and want to set the TV button my remote to start mythtv.
>>>>>Any
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>ideas
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>>how to do this - i've tried using irxevent to pass a ctrl-t (which is
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>the
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>>hotkey i setup in kde for mythtv) but that did not work.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>I use irexec to do this. Here's the relevant section from my .lircrc
>>
>>
>
>Thanks everyone - I've got it working rst ever perl script later :-)
>Simon
>_______________________________________________
>mythtv-users mailing list
>mythtv-users [at] mythtv
>http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>
>
>
Well - I did mine a bit different since I feel that a power button
should both quit and start things:

supermario [at] supermari ~ $ cat .checkmythrunning.sh
#!/bin/sh

pkill irexec;
mythfrontend && irexec -d;



In my .lircrc:
.
.
.
begin
prog = irexec
button = power
config = /home/supermario/.checkmythrunning.sh
end

begin
prog = mythtv
button = power
config = Escape
end

.
.
.


_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.