Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Theming

Advanced Theming Ideas

 

 

MythTV theming RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


fracmak at gmail

May 4, 2012, 1:41 PM

Post #1 of 4 (951 views)
Permalink
Advanced Theming Ideas

Hey, so I was taking a look at one of the older themes in an attempt to
modernize it for 0.25 and it got me thinking about different ways I could
do some cool stuff with MythTV. Part of me thinks I need some help from the
development team to really do what I want. But before I go bugging them, I
figured I'd ask here first to make certain I'm not missing anything.

I thought it might be fun and cool to expose more core functionality as
widgets. I personally don't like how I have to navigate around to so many
different menus and screens to get some basic information on what's
currently happening on my mythtv. I usually just bring up mythweb since
it's easier/faster to flip around that information

- *Upcoming Recordings Widget* - Imagine you go to the main menu of your
theme, and it shows you what the next couple of recordings are, and if
there's any conflicts, you would see that immediately and be able to
highlight the problem and bring up the recording editor to fix it.
- *Latest Recordings Widget* - This is inspired by XMBC, where they have
a way to show the latest 5 shows that have been loaded/grabbed by the
system.
- *News/Weather Widget* - This is inspired by XMBC, where they have an
rss scroller and a weather widget that always shows you basic information
on the home screen
- *What's playing now? *Expanding the guide grid so you can show a
preview of your favorite channels and what's playing right now. This
preview would automatically shift as time went by so it would always show
what's playing right now +Z hours. This guide grid could be used to either
mark a show to be recorded, or triggering the live tv to open up and
immediately change to that channel. Like the current guide grid, it would
show what shows were being recorded, or any conflicts

Thoughts? Comments?

Jay


jyavenard at gmail

May 4, 2012, 2:45 PM

Post #2 of 4 (907 views)
Permalink
Re: Advanced Theming Ideas [In reply to]

On 5 May 2012 06:41, Jay Merrifield <fracmak [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hey, so I was taking a look at one of the older themes in an attempt to
> I thought it might be fun and cool to expose more core functionality as
> widgets. I personally don't like how I have to navigate around to so many
> different menus and screens to get some basic information on what's
> currently happening on my mythtv. I usually just bring up mythweb since it's
> easier/faster to flip around that information
>
> Upcoming Recordings Widget - Imagine you go to the main menu of your theme,
> and it shows you what the next couple of recordings are, and if there's any
> conflicts, you would see that immediately and be able to highlight the
> problem and bring up the recording editor to fix it.
> Latest Recordings Widget - This is inspired by XMBC, where they have a way
> to show the latest 5 shows that have been loaded/grabbed by the system.
> News/Weather Widget - This is inspired by XMBC, where they have an rss
> scroller and a weather widget that always shows you basic information on the
> home screen
> What's playing now? Expanding the guide grid so you can show a preview of
> your favorite channels and what's playing right now. This preview would
> automatically shift as time went by so it would always show what's playing
> right now +Z hours. This guide grid could be used to either mark a show to
> be recorded, or triggering the live tv to open up and immediately change to
> that channel. Like the current guide grid, it would show what shows were
> being recorded, or any conflicts
>
> Thoughts? Comments?

I had something similar in mind ; a notification system that let
display information anywhere.
Originally I had in mind something like Growl on a mac
http://growl.info/screenshots

The original aim was to display which song is now playing via airplay,
we now have access to the song name, artist, and album artwork.

But this can be used for many other things, such as displaying the
status of the backend, if a recording is about to start, if a
recording has finished, a commflag job etc..

This wild be like a queue.
Unfortunately, this would require each myth component to send the
relevant notifications.

But how it would be displayed, be it a pop up in a corner, a scrolling
line at the bottom like XBMC does, would be up to the themre
_______________________________________________
mythtv-theming mailing list
mythtv-theming [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-theming


jyavenard at gmail

May 4, 2012, 2:52 PM

Post #3 of 4 (912 views)
Permalink
Re: Advanced Theming Ideas [In reply to]

On 5 May 2012 07:45, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> But how it would be displayed, be it a pop up in a corner, a scrolling
> line at the bottom like XBMC does, would be up to the themre

The other possibility would be to add a mechanism for the theme to run
an interpreted language such as javascript to access the new service
API..

Or have a independent widget object, also running a high-level
language that adds various functionalities and can display them via a
new notification centre
_______________________________________________
mythtv-theming mailing list
mythtv-theming [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-theming


killerkiwi2005 at gmail

May 4, 2012, 9:10 PM

Post #4 of 4 (902 views)
Permalink
Re: Advanced Theming Ideas [In reply to]

On 5 May 2012 09:52, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 5 May 2012 07:45, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard [at] gmail> wrote:
> >
> > But how it would be displayed, be it a pop up in a corner, a scrolling
> > line at the bottom like XBMC does, would be up to the themre
>
> The other possibility would be to add a mechanism for the theme to run
> an interpreted language such as javascript to access the new service
> API..
>
> Or have a independent widget object, also running a high-level
> language that adds various functionalities and can display them via a
> new notification centre
>

We can already add a webcontrol that would allow display of some of this
info, just need the ability to tell mythui to never give focus to the
control (I logged that as an issue some where)

I guess then using javascript and the new webservices API's you could
display just about anything although it wouldn't be interactive

Ive been using the mythbuntu notify-send as a work around

Jason Taylor

--
"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calven

MythTV theming RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.