Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Theming

Random fanart

 

 

MythTV theming RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


erictsmith at gmail

Feb 15, 2011, 3:01 PM

Post #1 of 8 (1975 views)
Permalink
Random fanart

I've begun work on a new theme and am considering the use of "random fanart"
on some of the menu screens. In my local installation this works fine by
just pointing an imagetype at the path to my fanart directory, but is there
a more universal way of doing this?


robert.mcnamara at gmail

Feb 15, 2011, 3:04 PM

Post #2 of 8 (1921 views)
Permalink
Re: Random fanart [In reply to]

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Eric Smith <erictsmith [at] gmail> wrote:

> I've begun work on a new theme and am considering the use of "random
> fanart" on some of the menu screens. In my local installation this works
> fine by just pointing an imagetype at the path to my fanart directory, but
> is there a more universal way of doing this?
>
>
No. Fanart is only supported on a per-window basis (Specifically in
MythGame, MythVideo, and Watch Recordings, and only in the context of the
selected item), and nowhere in the menus at present.

Robert


managementboy at gmail

Feb 16, 2011, 5:21 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1910 views)
Permalink
Re: Random fanart [In reply to]

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Eric Smith <erictsmith [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> I've begun work on a new theme and am considering the use of "random
>> fanart" on some of the menu screens.  In my local installation this works
>> fine by just pointing an imagetype at the path to my fanart directory, but
>> is there a more universal way of doing this?
>>
>
> No.  Fanart is only supported on a per-window basis (Specifically in
> MythGame, MythVideo, and Watch Recordings, and only in the context of the
> selected item), and nowhere in the menus at present.
> Robert

Hi Robert,

I also like the idea that Eric suggested. If I get him right, all we
themers would need is a way to use the "template" tag to tell
mythfrontend that the imagetype path is the one from the storage group
"banners", "fanart" etc. I guess it could look like this.

<imagetype name="random-fanart">
<filename>%SG-FANART%</filename>
</imagetype>

Should I place this into the wiki as a feature request?

Cheers,

Elkin
_______________________________________________
mythtv-theming mailing list
mythtv-theming [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-theming


erictsmith at gmail

Feb 16, 2011, 6:30 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1888 views)
Permalink
Re: Random fanart [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Elkin Fricke <managementboy [at] gmail>wrote:

> > On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Eric Smith <erictsmith [at] gmail>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I've begun work on a new theme and am considering the use of "random
> >> fanart" on some of the menu screens. In my local installation this
> works
> >> fine by just pointing an imagetype at the path to my fanart directory,
> but
> >> is there a more universal way of doing this?
> >>
> >
> > No. Fanart is only supported on a per-window basis (Specifically in
> > MythGame, MythVideo, and Watch Recordings, and only in the context of the
> > selected item), and nowhere in the menus at present.
> > Robert
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> I also like the idea that Eric suggested. If I get him right, all we
> themers would need is a way to use the "template" tag to tell
> mythfrontend that the imagetype path is the one from the storage group
> "banners", "fanart" etc. I guess it could look like this.
>
> <imagetype name="random-fanart">
> <filename>%SG-FANART%</filename>
> </imagetype>
>
> Should I place this into the wiki as a feature request?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Elkin
>

I am happy to attempt a patch if there is interest. I was considering a few
different implementations but I think what Elkin proposed is simple and does
the job we're looking for.


managementboy at gmail

Feb 16, 2011, 6:33 AM

Post #5 of 8 (1885 views)
Permalink
Re: Random fanart [In reply to]

>
> I am happy to attempt a patch if there is interest.  I was considering a few
> different implementations but I think what Elkin proposed is simple and does
> the job we're looking for.
>

I'd be willing to test your patch with my themes. I think it be nice
to be able to use fanarts / banners / coverarts as random backdrops
within menus etc.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-theming mailing list
mythtv-theming [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-theming


erictsmith at gmail

Feb 18, 2011, 9:45 AM

Post #6 of 8 (1882 views)
Permalink
Re: Random fanart [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Elkin Fricke <managementboy [at] gmail>wrote:

> >
> > I am happy to attempt a patch if there is interest. I was considering a
> few
> > different implementations but I think what Elkin proposed is simple and
> does
> > the job we're looking for.
> >
>
> I'd be willing to test your patch with my themes. I think it be nice
> to be able to use fanarts / banners / coverarts as random backdrops
> within menus etc.
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-theming mailing list
> mythtv-theming [at] mythtv
> http://mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-theming
>

I have created ticket 9597 http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9597 with a
patch to support random fanart, coverart, and banners. It currently only
supports the front end mythvideo directory settings. At first glance, the
ability to fetch a random file from a storage group did not seem obvious so
I decided to stick with the old directory settings for now. I will look
further into that if the devs don't want to continue to support the old
settings.


robert.mcnamara at gmail

Feb 18, 2011, 9:49 AM

Post #7 of 8 (1869 views)
Permalink
Re: Random fanart [In reply to]

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Eric Smith <erictsmith [at] gmail> wrote:

>
>>
>>
> I have created ticket 9597 http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9597 with a
> patch to support random fanart, coverart, and banners. It currently only
> supports the front end mythvideo directory settings. At first glance, the
> ability to fetch a random file from a storage group did not seem obvious so
> I decided to stick with the old directory settings for now. I will look
> further into that if the devs don't want to continue to support the old
> settings.
>

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the effort on the patch-- I've added my comments to the ticket.
In order to get committed, it's going to need to support storage groups
(and likely *only* storage groups is acceptable as we're likely to be SG
only by .25). Also need support for all the artwork imagetypes, and to use
variables consistent with everywhere else in the frontend (ie, we never
refer to it as "bannerart"). Even after all of that is said and done, it
will also need a stamp of approval from Stuart Morgan as well as the code is
ultimately his.

Robert


erictsmith at gmail

Feb 18, 2011, 11:40 AM

Post #8 of 8 (1870 views)
Permalink
Re: Random fanart [In reply to]

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara [at] gmail
> wrote:

>
>
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Eric Smith <erictsmith [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>>
>>>
>>>
>> I have created ticket 9597 http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9597 with a
>> patch to support random fanart, coverart, and banners. It currently only
>> supports the front end mythvideo directory settings. At first glance, the
>> ability to fetch a random file from a storage group did not seem obvious so
>> I decided to stick with the old directory settings for now. I will look
>> further into that if the devs don't want to continue to support the old
>> settings.
>>
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks for the effort on the patch-- I've added my comments to the ticket.
> In order to get committed, it's going to need to support storage groups
> (and likely *only* storage groups is acceptable as we're likely to be SG
> only by .25). Also need support for all the artwork imagetypes, and to use
> variables consistent with everywhere else in the frontend (ie, we never
> refer to it as "bannerart"). Even after all of that is said and done, it
> will also need a stamp of approval from Stuart Morgan as well as the code is
> ultimately his.
>
> Robert
>


Thanks for the comments Robert. I assumed storage groups would likely be a
requirement. I'll take another shot at it this weekend and see what I can
come up with.

MythTV theming RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.