Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Theming
Re: Theme downloader site updated for trunk/master.

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

cpinkham at bc2va

Jan 18, 2011, 8:42 AM

Re: Theme downloader site updated for trunk/master. [In reply to]

* On Tue Jan 18, 2011 at 01:44:35PM +0100, Federico Ferri wrote:
> You can checkout the a-forest theme from :
>
> svn co http://a-forest.googlecode.com/svn/branches/0.24
> svn co http://a-forest.googlecode.com/svn/branches/mythtv-master

Thanks. I updated by script to pull from this subversion repo.

> How the update will work? do you update when the branches are updated
> so it doesn't matter if we change or don't change the major/minor version number?

For now, I am running the script every week or so manually. We're
in the middle of a webserver upgrade, so I didn't want to automate
the updates until the migration back to the new server was finished.

It will still be a 2-part process even when updated. The .zip packages
themeselves are pulled from ftp.osuosl.org which is the official MythTV
FTP mirror hosted by OSU. Currently they mirror our directory at around
4 or 5AM UTC. When I automate things, I'll have to drop the .zip files
into place before the mirror process runs, and then update the downloadable
theme index on the website after the mirror process runs.

I can always force a manual update if you email me and let me know that
there have been updates. Once I have this automated, there will probably
be a couple other devs who can force an update as well. That should hold
us until we can get a real upload site working which will allow you to
force your own update of your theme.

The major/minor number needs to change if you want people to know that there
is a new version available. The current theme chooser screen has statetypes
that indicate whether there is a new version of a theme available. I have
a patch that I've been (slowly) working on that will proactively notify the
user if the theme they are using has been updated so they can download the
new version. The major/minor numbers are integers, so you can, for instance,
have 1.150 as a valid version. I wouldn't update the version number at
every little change though, that's part of the reason to have a separate
working directory and 'release' directory in your repository. You can make
a group of changes and then release a single new version by merging those
changes into the 0.24 or mythtv-master branch and bumping the version
number in those branches.

I need to get someone to fix the permissions on the new temporary webserver
so I can update the theme index, so hopefully in a day or so your updated
theme will show up in the theme chooser. That goes for others as well, I've
downloaded updates and built new .zip packages, but haven't pushed the
updated index to the themes download website yet.

I'm not sure if I ever mentioned why, but the reason for repackaging all
themes as .zip files is to guarantee compatibility with mythfrontend
without having to install or link in a bunch of archiving/compression
libraries or shell out to external programs to extract and install a
theme. I have source code to a GTL-ed Qt-compatible C++ Zip/Unzip set
of routines and the unzip side is now included in one of MythTV's core
libraries. I don't expect themers to package their own themes in a .zip
file and it won't save me any time if they do, the destination .zip
file is purely for internal mythfrontend compatibility.

--
Chris