Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Sugarloaf restack of DVB-T frequencies next week

g8ecj at gilks

Jul 20, 2012, 2:00 AM

Sugarloaf restack of DVB-T frequencies next week

Just a heads up to get ready for a re-scan - its nearly time to sell off
some spectrum!!

Sometime on the 25th - presumably in the early hours...

--
Robin Gilks

nick.rout at gmail

Jul 20, 2012, 2:28 AM

Re: Sugarloaf restack of DVB-T frequencies next week [In reply to]

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj [at] gilks> wrote:
> Just a heads up to get ready for a re-scan - its nearly time to sell off
> some spectrum!!
>
> Sometime on the 25th - presumably in the early hours...

says 24th here http://www.rsm.govt.nz/cms/policy-and-planning/projects/digital-terrestrial-television-frequency-restacking/timing-and-channel-information

But it may amount to the same thing.

david at thistledown

Jul 20, 2012, 2:31 PM

Re: Sugarloaf restack of DVB-T frequencies next week [In reply to]

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj [at] gilks> wrote:
>> Just a heads up to get ready for a re-scan - its nearly time to sell off
>> some spectrum!!
>>
>> Sometime on the 25th - presumably in the early hours...

So do you think its best to run a channel scan, or can we just go into
/mythweb/settings/tv/channels and change the freqid?

-- David

stephen_agent at jsw

Jul 21, 2012, 1:13 AM

Re: Sugarloaf restack of DVB-T frequencies next week [In reply to]

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 09:31:15 +1200, you wrote:

>On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj [at] gilks> wrote:
>>> Just a heads up to get ready for a re-scan - its nearly time to sell off
>>> some spectrum!!
>>>
>>> Sometime on the 25th - presumably in the early hours...
>>>

>So do you think its best to run a channel scan, or can we just go into
>/mythweb/settings/tv/channels and change the freqid?
>
>-- David

No, the freqid is not the right value to change. The correct value is
the frequency field in dtv_multiplex. The best way to do this change
is to use the script I have posted here for the previous transmitters
that have already been restacked. Just change the freqid/newfreqid
parameters at the in the script to match your site. Here it is again
as for the Wharite changes:

#!/bin/bash
# Update the channel frequencies for FreeviewHD from Wharite for the
13-Mar-2012 changes.
source /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
mysql -u $DBUserName -p$DBPassword -h $DBHostName $DBName << EOF
drop function if exists calcfreq;
delimiter $$
create function calcfreq(freqid int) returns int
begin
return (506000000+(8000000*(freqid - 25)));
end$$
delimiter ;

set @freqid1 = 50;
set @newfreqid1 = 32;
set @freqid2 = 48;
set @newfreqid2 = 34;
set @freqid3 = 59;
set @newfreqid3 = 36;

/*
select calcfreq(@freqid1);
select calcfreq(@freqid2);
select calcfreq(@freqid3);
select calcfreq(@newfreqid1);
select calcfreq(@newfreqid2);
select calcfreq(@newfreqid3);
*/

update channel set freqid = @newfreqid1 where freqid = @freqid1;
update channel set freqid = @newfreqid2 where freqid = @freqid2;
update channel set freqid = @newfreqid3 where freqid = @freqid3;
update dtv_multiplex set frequency = calcfreq(@newfreqid1) where
frequency = calcfreq(@freqid1);
update dtv_multiplex set frequency = calcfreq(@newfreqid2) where
frequency = calcfreq(@freqid2);
update dtv_multiplex set frequency = calcfreq(@newfreqid3) where
frequency = calcfreq(@freqid3);

drop function calcfreq;
EOF

exit 0

As usual with scripts posted on newsgroups, watch out for your
newsreader wrapping lines.

nick.rout at gmail

Jul 21, 2012, 4:37 AM

Re: Sugarloaf restack of DVB-T frequencies next week [In reply to]

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj [at] gilks> wrote:
>> Just a heads up to get ready for a re-scan - its nearly time to sell off
>> some spectrum!!
>>
>> Sometime on the 25th - presumably in the early hours...
>>

> says 24th here http://www.rsm.govt.nz/cms/policy-and-planning/projects/digital-terrestrial-television-frequency-restacking/timing-and-channel-information
>
> But it may amount to the same thing.

Looks like the early hours of the 24th

http://freeviewnz.tv/help-support/network-status.aspx

"Announcement from MED (Ministry of Economic Development):

Freeview|HD(via UHF aerial) viewers in the CANTERBURY region, there is
a planned outage of up to 6 hours on Tues 24 July between 00:01AM and
06:00AM.

You will need to retune your Freeview|HD digital TV, Freeview|HD
digital receiver or Myfreeview|HD recorder after this outage. For
retune instructions, please visit www.retune.co.nz or call 0508 33 66
33."

worik.stanton at gmail

Jul 22, 2012, 5:43 PM

Re: Sugarloaf restack of DVB-T frequencies next week [In reply to]

[snip]

> No, the freqid is not the right value to change. The correct value is
> the frequency field in dtv_multiplex. The best way to do this change
> is to use the script I have posted here for the previous transmitters
> that have already been restacked. Just change the freqid/newfreqid
> parameters at the in the script to match your site. Here it is again
> as for the Wharite changes:
Woah!! Surly we can use the backend settings "mythtv-setup"? Making
changes to the database via mysql seems like the wrong tool to me!

cheers
Worik

> #!/bin/bash
> # Update the channel frequencies for FreeviewHD from Wharite for the
> 13-Mar-2012 changes.
> source /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
> mysql -u $DBUserName -p$DBPassword -h $DBHostName $DBName << EOF
> drop function if exists calcfreq;
> delimiter $$
> create function calcfreq(freqid int) returns int
> begin
> return (506000000+(8000000*(freqid - 25)));
> end$$
> delimiter ;
>
> set @freqid1 = 50;
> set @newfreqid1 = 32;
> set @freqid2 = 48;
> set @newfreqid2 = 34;
> set @freqid3 = 59;
> set @newfreqid3 = 36;
>
> /*
> select calcfreq(@freqid1);
> select calcfreq(@freqid2);
> select calcfreq(@freqid3);
> select calcfreq(@newfreqid1);
> select calcfreq(@newfreqid2);
> select calcfreq(@newfreqid3);
> */
>
> update channel set freqid = @newfreqid1 where freqid = @freqid1;
> update channel set freqid = @newfreqid2 where freqid = @freqid2;
> update channel set freqid = @newfreqid3 where freqid = @freqid3;
> update dtv_multiplex set frequency = calcfreq(@newfreqid1) where
> frequency = calcfreq(@freqid1);
> update dtv_multiplex set frequency = calcfreq(@newfreqid2) where
> frequency = calcfreq(@freqid2);
> update dtv_multiplex set frequency = calcfreq(@newfreqid3) where
> frequency = calcfreq(@freqid3);
>
> drop function calcfreq;
> EOF
>
> exit 0
>

> As usual with scripts posted on newsgroups, watch out for your
> newsreader wrapping lines.

it does not matter I think that I shall never see
how much I dig and dig A billboard lovely as a tree
this hole just Indeed, unless the billboards fall
keeps getting deeper I'll never see a tree at all

tortise at paradise

Jul 22, 2012, 7:10 PM

Re: Sugarloaf restack of DVB-T frequencies next week [In reply to]

On 23/07/2012 12:43 p.m., Worik Stanton wrote:
> Woah!! Surly we can use the backend settings "mythtv-setup"? Making
> changes to the database via mysql seems like the wrong tool to me!

That would depend on your own belief's, confidence and risk profile.

There is a recent SQL thread about the merits of the various approaches.

stephen_agent at jsw

Jul 22, 2012, 7:15 PM

Re: Sugarloaf restack of DVB-T frequencies next week [In reply to]

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:43:57 +1200, you wrote:

>[snip]
>
>> No, the freqid is not the right value to change. The correct value is
>> the frequency field in dtv_multiplex. The best way to do this change
>> is to use the script I have posted here for the previous transmitters
>> that have already been restacked. Just change the freqid/newfreqid
>> parameters at the in the script to match your site. Here it is again
>> as for the Wharite changes:
>Woah!! Surly we can use the backend settings "mythtv-setup"? Making
>changes to the database via mysql seems like the wrong tool to me!
>
>cheers
>Worik

Maybe, if things have been improved since I last used the scanning
tools (some time ago and probably in 0.23). But my experience with
scanning for channels is that it tends to produce new channels when
things change, rather than updating existing ones as is required for
the restacking. My script just works, without causing any problems,
and can be put on a cron job if required.

nick.rout at gmail

Jul 23, 2012, 12:59 PM

Re: Sugarloaf restack of DVB-T frequencies next week [In reply to]

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent [at] jsw> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:43:57 +1200, you wrote:
>
>>[snip]
>>
>>> No, the freqid is not the right value to change. The correct value is
>>> the frequency field in dtv_multiplex. The best way to do this change
>>> is to use the script I have posted here for the previous transmitters
>>> that have already been restacked. Just change the freqid/newfreqid
>>> parameters at the in the script to match your site. Here it is again
>>> as for the Wharite changes:
>>Woah!! Surly we can use the backend settings "mythtv-setup"? Making
>>changes to the database via mysql seems like the wrong tool to me!
>>
>>cheers
>>Worik
>
> Maybe, if things have been improved since I last used the scanning
> tools (some time ago and probably in 0.23). But my experience with
> scanning for channels is that it tends to produce new channels when
> things change, rather than updating existing ones as is required for
> the restacking. My script just works, without causing any problems,
> and can be put on a cron job if required.

I tried your script on my test virtualbox install and it worked so I
used on my production box and again it seemed to work.

Those who want to use the script note that the frequencies for
sugarloaf are different.

http://www.rsm.govt.nz/cms/policy-and-planning/projects/digital-terrestrial-television-frequency-restacking/timing-and-channel-information

here are the changes I made:

set @freqid1 = 49;