Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

LIRC

rock at rockrodgers

Jul 1, 2012, 10:49 PM

LIRC

Hi there,

I've got a Hauppage capture card and an IR blaster that I'm working through
setting up. Both sending and receiving using IR.

Can someone point me in the direction of some general resources about LIRC,
as I feel like I'm chasing my own tale engaging in Google searches. Or, and
this is the beautiful dream, maybe one of you has had success with this
hardware configuration.

*Capture card: model 01288:* WinTV-HVR-1150
IR Blaster from here: http://www.irblaster.info/
OS: 32bit Ubuntu 10.04 with MythTV installed through Synaptic

I've got as far as being able to get channel listings using some PHP I put
together, I can also capture TV/Audio from S-Video or Composite, and the
recording works good.

I've got a TeletraClear STB and I want to be able to change channel on
there using the IR Blaster.

And it would be neat if the supplied IR receiver/remote control combo could
work.

Warm regards
Rock (not his real name)

killerkiwi2005 at gmail

Jul 1, 2012, 11:36 PM

Re: LIRC [In reply to]

I've done this a few times and it works well once running but its a bit
finicky to setup

You need to set an external channel changing script for the source in
mythtv-setup that executes and calls lirc_send

You can then enter dummy channels for the source that map to your external
box channels

A howto for lirc
http://flavor8.com/index.php/2010/02/25/how-to-configure-any-remote-control-with-lirc/

Mythtv (mce instructions but its fairly easy to see whats going on)
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote#IR_Blasting

I'm pretty sure newer mythbuntu control panel has lirc blasting as well...
I havn't set it up in a while though

If you cant find a lirc conf file for your remote/device you can create one
using irrecord

Good luck

On 2 July 2012 17:49, Rock Rodgers <rock [at] rockrodgers> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've got a Hauppage capture card and an IR blaster that I'm working
> through setting up. Both sending and receiving using IR.
>
> Can someone point me in the direction of some general resources about
> LIRC, as I feel like I'm chasing my own tale engaging in Google searches.
> Or, and this is the beautiful dream, maybe one of you has had success with
> this hardware configuration.
>
> *Capture card: model 01288:* WinTV-HVR-1150
> IR Blaster from here: http://www.irblaster.info/
> OS: 32bit Ubuntu 10.04 with MythTV installed through Synaptic
>
> I've got as far as being able to get channel listings using some PHP I put
> together, I can also capture TV/Audio from S-Video or Composite, and the
> recording works good.
>
> I've got a TeletraClear STB and I want to be able to change channel on
> there using the IR Blaster.
>
> And it would be neat if the supplied IR receiver/remote control combo
> could work.
>
> Warm regards
> Rock (not his real name)

"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calven

drtimlockyer at gmail

Jul 2, 2012, 12:12 AM

Re: LIRC [In reply to]

I found it really confusing and hard to get the LIRC IR blaster to work as
a result I built my own system using an ARDUINO which I find so easy. It is
on YouTube under Mythbuntu Arduino IR.

Tim

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Rock Rodgers <rock [at] rockrodgers> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've got a Hauppage capture card and an IR blaster that I'm working
> through setting up. Both sending and receiving using IR.
>
> Can someone point me in the direction of some general resources about
> LIRC, as I feel like I'm chasing my own tale engaging in Google searches.
> Or, and this is the beautiful dream, maybe one of you has had success with
> this hardware configuration.
>
> *Capture card: model 01288:* WinTV-HVR-1150
> IR Blaster from here: http://www.irblaster.info/
> OS: 32bit Ubuntu 10.04 with MythTV installed through Synaptic
>
> I've got as far as being able to get channel listings using some PHP I put
> together, I can also capture TV/Audio from S-Video or Composite, and the
> recording works good.
>
> I've got a TeletraClear STB and I want to be able to change channel on
> there using the IR Blaster.
>
> And it would be neat if the supplied IR receiver/remote control combo
> could work.
>
> Warm regards
> Rock (not his real name)

g8ecj at gilks

Jul 2, 2012, 12:33 AM

Re: LIRC [In reply to]

> Hi there,
>
> I've got a Hauppage capture card and an IR blaster that I'm working
> through
> setting up. Both sending and receiving using IR.
>
> Can someone point me in the direction of some general resources about
> LIRC,
> as I feel like I'm chasing my own tale engaging in Google searches. Or,
> and
> this is the beautiful dream, maybe one of you has had success with this
> hardware configuration.
>
> *Capture card: model 01288:* WinTV-HVR-1150
> IR Blaster from here: http://www.irblaster.info/
> OS: 32bit Ubuntu 10.04 with MythTV installed through Synaptic
>
> I've got as far as being able to get channel listings using some PHP I put
> together, I can also capture TV/Audio from S-Video or Composite, and the
> recording works good.
>
> I've got a TeletraClear STB and I want to be able to change channel on
> there using the IR Blaster.
>
> And it would be neat if the supplied IR receiver/remote control combo
> could
> work.
>
> Warm regards
> Rock (not his real name)

Here is my channel change script - it ties into the name of the remote for
the STB (SKY in my case) that is defined in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf (the
exact location of this file varies from system to system).

--------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

REMOTE_NAME=sky
cmd="$1"
DEVICE=/dev/lircd

/usr/bin/irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1
case $cmd in
[0-9]*)
for digit in $(echo $1 | sed -e 's/./& /g'); do
/usr/bin/irsend -d $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME $digit
# If things work OK with sleep 1, try this for faster channel
changes:
# sleep 0.3 or faster
sleep 0.1
done
;;

*)
/usr/bin/irsend -d $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME $cmd
;;
esac
--------------------------------------

The remote name is the bit that defines the codes the STB remote uses -
the lircd.conf file can have definitions for several remotes in it, you
just have to refer to them by name.

--------------------------------------
begin remote

name sky
bits 16
flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
eps 30
aeps 100

header 9139 4359
one 708 1536
zero 708 409
ptrail 702
repeat 9140 2115
pre_data_bits 16
pre_data 0x213C
gap 107822
min_repeat 1
toggle_bit 0

begin codes
1 0x0000000000000CF3
2 0x000000000000946B
etc etc etc

The numbers that Myth sends to the script are the numbers on the 3rd
screen of the channel edit screens in mythtv-setup (option 6) and can be
different to the number used on the frontend that chooses the channel.

--
Robin Gilks