Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions.

jfpn at clearfield

Jun 29, 2012, 7:41 PM

Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions.

Jut got myself a Raspberry Pi (Model B) and just tried it as a Multimedia Player running XBMC.

The good: It will play Mythtv Freeview DVB-T HD recordings (As well as standard MP4/MKV/AVI's). I've tried TV3 and TV2 recordings, that was quite impressive.

The bad:
- The interface is a bit sluggish (to be expected)
- While it plays Mythtv recordings it only does so over NFS, using SMB/(Windows shares) it shows something like a frame a second. Apparently SMB is very expensive CPU wise compared to NFS.

The really bad:
- Starting playback for HD content takes about 30 seconds.
- NFS is a bit flaky currently.

It's early days, but it looks promising.

This is using the Openelec distro, you copy it to the SD card and it just works.
I also tried the Raspbmc distro but it's harder to install and seems to freeze fairly often.

--
Jean-Francois Pirus | Technical Manager
francois [at] clearfield | Mob +64 21 640 779 | DDI +64 9 282 3401

Clearfield Software Ltd | Ph +64 9 358 2081 | www.clearfield.com

jonathan.hoskin at gmail

Jun 29, 2012, 9:50 PM

Re: Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions. [In reply to]

On Saturday, 30 June 2012 at 2:41 PM, jfp wrote:

> Jut got myself a Raspberry Pi (Model B)

Would you mind giving an indication of what you paid for yours all up?

I see a few on Trademe but I assume most of them are scalpers given the original US$35 price tag.

jfpn at clearfield

Jun 29, 2012, 10:51 PM

Re: Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions. [In reply to]

> Would you mind giving an indication of what you paid for yours all up? I
see a few on Trademe but I assume most of them are scalpers given the
original US$35 price tag.

The one I currently have is actually a friend's who ordered it from Farnell.

I ordered mine from RS, it hasn't arrived yet.
But this is what I paid:
Raspberry Pi Type B Case - Black £3.99
Raspberry Pi Type B Single Board Computer £21.60
Standard Delivery (Despatch expected within 10 week(s))£4.95

--
Jean-Francois Pirus | Technical Manager
francois [at] clearfield | Mob +64 21 640 779 | DDI +64 9 282 3401

Clearfield Software Ltd | Ph +64 9 358 2081 | www.clearfield.com

pkendall64 at gmail

Jun 29, 2012, 11:12 PM

Re: Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions. [In reply to]

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Jean-Francois Pirus
<jfpn [at] clearfield> wrote:
>> Would you mind giving an indication of what you paid for yours all up? I
> see a few on Trademe but I assume most of them are scalpers given the
> original US$35 price tag.
>
> The one I currently have is actually a friend's who ordered it from Farnell.
>
> I ordered mine from RS, it hasn't arrived yet.
> But this is what I paid:
> Raspberry Pi Type B Case - Black £3.99
> Raspberry Pi Type B Single Board Computer £21.60
> Standard Delivery (Despatch expected within 10 week(s))£4.95
>
> --
> Jean-Francois Pirus | Technical Manager
> francois [at] clearfield | Mob +64 21 640 779 | DDI +64 9 282 3401
>
> Clearfield Software Ltd | Ph +64 9 358 2081 | www.clearfield.com

I got mine a couple of weeks ago from element14 and it cost me $55.50
NZ delivered.

Very reasonable. Seems to work quite well. I have merged the opdenkamp xbmc pvr
branch and others with the xbmc-rbp branch and can playback from freeview DVB-T
quite happily.

It does have a few artifacts and the sound does sometimes stop but I'm sure that
is something that can be worked on.

Cheers,
Paul

nick.rout at gmail

Jun 29, 2012, 11:17 PM

Re: Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions. [In reply to]

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 2:41 PM, jfp <jfpn [at] clearfield> wrote:

> Jut got myself a Raspberry Pi (Model B) and just tried it as a Multimedia Player running XBMC.
>
> The good: It will play Mythtv Freeview DVB-T HD recordings (As well as standard MP4/MKV/AVI's). I've tried TV3 and TV2 recordings, that was quite impressive.
>
> The bad:
> - The interface is a bit sluggish (to be expected)
> - While it plays Mythtv recordings it only does so over NFS, using SMB/(Windows shares) it shows something like a frame a second. Apparently SMB is very expensive CPU wise compared to NFS.
>
> The really bad:
> - Starting playback for HD content takes about 30 seconds.
> - NFS is a bit flaky currently.
>
> It's early days, but it looks promising.
>
> This is using the Openelec distro, you copy it to the SD card and it just works.
> I also tried the Raspbmc distro but it's harder to install and seems to freeze fairly often.

Have you tried the mythbox addon?

What is it like on material where there is no hardware acceleration
support (eg xvid, mpeg2)?

nick.rout at gmail

Jun 29, 2012, 11:21 PM

Re: Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions. [In reply to]

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Jonathan Hoskin
<jonathan.hoskin [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Saturday, 30 June 2012 at 2:41 PM, jfp wrote:
>

> Jut got myself a Raspberry Pi (Model B)
>

> Would you mind giving an indication of what you paid for yours all up?
>
> I see a few on Trademe but I assume most of them are scalpers given the
> original US$35 price tag.

I ordered mine from RS a week or so ago, prices in GBP:

RS Stock No. Qty Description Unit Price Goods Value
726-3053 1 Micro USB Euro power supply for Raspberry Pi £4.89 £4.89
2000114141 1 4GB Class 6 SDHC Flash memory card for Raspberry Pi £6.49 £6.49
Case-CLR 1 Raspberry Pi Type B Case - Clear £3.99 £3.99
756-8308 1 Raspberry Pi Type B Single Board Computer £21.60 £21.60
Running Total £36.97
Standard Delivery (Despatch expected within 9 week(s)) £4.95
Order total £41.92

(sorry about the formating, cut and paste from the order confirmation email)

acaferacer at gmail

Jun 29, 2012, 11:46 PM

Re: Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions. [In reply to]

On 30 June 2012 18:21, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Jonathan Hoskin
> <jonathan.hoskin [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Saturday, 30 June 2012 at 2:41 PM, jfp wrote:
>>

>> Jut got myself a Raspberry Pi (Model B)
>>

>> Would you mind giving an indication of what you paid for yours all up?
>>
>> I see a few on Trademe but I assume most of them are scalpers given the
>> original US$35 price tag.
>
> I ordered mine from RS a week or so ago, prices in GBP:
>
> RS Stock No. † †Qty † † Description † † Unit Price † † †Goods Value
> 726-3053 † † † †1 † † † Micro USB Euro power supply for Raspberry Pi † †£4.89 † £4.89
> 2000114141 † † †1 † † † 4GB Class 6 SDHC Flash memory card for Raspberry Pi † † £6.49 † £6.49
> Case-CLR † † † †1 † † † Raspberry Pi Type B Case - Clear † † † †£3.99 † £3.99
> 756-8308 † † † †1 † † † Raspberry Pi Type B Single Board Computer † † † £21.60 †£21.60
> † † † †Running Total † £36.97
> Standard Delivery (Despatch expected within 9 week(s)) †£4.95
> Order total † † £41.92
>
> (sorry about the formating, cut and paste from the order confirmation email)

I was wondering what the pi has over one of those set top
android/linux media players that can be had for about the same?

Cheers
Bruce

nick.rout at gmail

Jun 30, 2012, 12:02 AM

Re: Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions. [In reply to]

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Bruce Wilson <acaferacer [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 30 June 2012 18:21, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Jonathan Hoskin
>> <jonathan.hoskin [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> On Saturday, 30 June 2012 at 2:41 PM, jfp wrote:
>>>

>>> Jut got myself a Raspberry Pi (Model B)
>>>

>>> Would you mind giving an indication of what you paid for yours all up?
>>>
>>> I see a few on Trademe but I assume most of them are scalpers given the
>>> original US$35 price tag.
>>
>> I ordered mine from RS a week or so ago, prices in GBP:
>>
>> RS Stock No. † †Qty † † Description † † Unit Price † † †Goods Value
>> 726-3053 † † † †1 † † † Micro USB Euro power supply for Raspberry Pi † †£4.89 † £4.89
>> 2000114141 † † †1 † † † 4GB Class 6 SDHC Flash memory card for Raspberry Pi † † £6.49 † £6.49
>> Case-CLR † † † †1 † † † Raspberry Pi Type B Case - Clear † † † †£3.99 † £3.99
>> 756-8308 † † † †1 † † † Raspberry Pi Type B Single Board Computer † † † £21.60 †£21.60
>> † † † †Running Total † £36.97
>> Standard Delivery (Despatch expected within 9 week(s)) †£4.95
>> Order total † † £41.92
>>
>> (sorry about the formating, cut and paste from the order confirmation email)
>
> I was wondering what the pi has over one of those set top
> android/linux media players that can be had for about the same?

possibly nothing other than coolness factor :)

for experimentation I believe it has a range of headers that can be
used for control etc.

And a full linux distro you can tailor to your needs.

For a multimedia box, it has some disadvantages, but worth a try I guess.

jfpn at clearfield

Jun 30, 2012, 12:47 AM

Re: Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions. [In reply to]

> On 30 June 2012 18:21, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Jonathan Hoskin
>> <jonathan.hoskin [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> On Saturday, 30 June 2012 at 2:41 PM, jfp wrote:
>>> Jut got myself a Raspberry Pi (Model B)
>>> Would you mind giving an indication of what you paid for yours all up?
I see a few on Trademe but I assume most of them are scalpers given
the
>>> original US$35 price tag.
>> I ordered mine from RS a week or so ago, prices in GBP:
>> RS Stock No. Qty Description Unit Price Goods Value
726-3053 1 Micro USB Euro power supply for Raspberry Pi
£4.89 £4.89
>> 2000114141 1 4GB Class 6 SDHC Flash memory card for
Raspberry
>> Pi £6.49 £6.49
>> Case-CLR 1 Raspberry Pi Type B Case - Clear £3.99
£3.99
>> 756-8308 1 Raspberry Pi Type B Single Board Computer
£21.60 £21.60
>> Running Total £36.97
>> Standard Delivery (Despatch expected within 9 week(s)) £4.95
>> Order total £41.92
>> (sorry about the formating, cut and paste from the order confirmation
email)
> I was wondering what the pi has over one of those set top
> android/linux media players that can be had for about the same?

Future updates :-)

It currently has 2 XBMC linux distros and 3 (I think) plain distros.

The android/linux media players will be usually a shot deal you get what
you paid for and are very unlikely to get any firmware updates. And they
don't connect to the Google Market/Play store.

If you want Android you should get a supported Google TV device.
I have a Logitech Revue but it doesn't play Mythtv DVB-T HD recordings.

--
Jean-Francois Pirus | Technical Manager
francois [at] clearfield | Mob +64 21 640 779 | DDI +64 9 282 3401

jhaar-ourshack-com at whanau

Jun 30, 2012, 9:05 PM

Re: Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions. [In reply to]

> If you want Android you should get a supported Google TV device.
> I have a Logitech Revue but it doesn't play Mythtv DVB-T HD recordings.

But isn't "mythtv DVB-T HD recordings" just the "raw" transmitted
signal? i.e. mythtv has nothing to do with the codecs/etc, the TV card
basically just writes raw to disk and mythtv lies on top of that? I
think that's true as I've noticed Microsoft Media Player cannot play the
audio component of some channels that Mythtv as recorded (over dlna) -
but works really well on others

Doesn't that really mean the Revue doesn't work with some NZ Freeview
channels?

Jason

nick.rout at gmail

Jul 1, 2012, 12:43 AM

Re: Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions. [In reply to]

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Jason Haar
<jhaar-ourshack-com [at] whanau> wrote:

>> If you want Android you should get a supported Google TV device.
>> I have a Logitech Revue but it doesn't play Mythtv DVB-T HD recordings.
>>

> But isn't "mythtv DVB-T HD recordings" just the "raw" transmitted
> signal? i.e. mythtv has nothing to do with the codecs/etc, the TV card
> basically just writes raw to disk and mythtv lies on top of that? I
> think that's true as I've noticed Microsoft Media Player cannot play the
> audio component of some channels that Mythtv as recorded (over dlna) -
> but works really well on others

Mainly right, mythtv does have to separate the correct PIDs out of an
entire multiplex and repackage them in a new MPEG-TS container, but
other than that you are correct, the codecs don't change, just the
container.

If you want to play back on windows, why not install mythfrontend?

> Doesn't that really mean the Revue doesn't work with some NZ Freeview
> channels?
>

> Jason

jfpn at clearfield

Jul 1, 2012, 2:07 AM

Re: Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions. [In reply to]

> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 2:41 PM, jfp <jfpn [at] clearfield> wrote:
> >
> > Jut got myself a Raspberry Pi (Model B) and just tried it as a Multimedia Player running XBMC.
> >
> > The good: It will play Mythtv Freeview DVB-T HD recordings (As well as standard MP4/MKV/AVI's). I've tried TV3 and TV2 recordings, that was quite impressive.
> >
> > The bad:
> > - The interface is a bit sluggish (to be expected)
> > - While it plays Mythtv recordings it only does so over NFS, using SMB/(Windows shares) it shows something like a frame a second. Apparently SMB is very expensive CPU wise compared to NFS.
> >
> > The really bad:
> > - Starting playback for HD content takes about 30 seconds.
> > - NFS is a bit flaky currently.
> >
> > It's early days, but it looks promising.
> >
> > This is using the Openelec distro, you copy it to the SD card and it just works.
> > I also tried the Raspbmc distro but it's harder to install and seems to freeze fairly often.
>
> Have you tried the mythbox addon?

It froze on a black screen, so no go right now.

Also tried the myth:// source path and I got a listing of the files, but could not play them.

I am playing the Mythtv recordings of the nfs share. (But I rename the files so it's actually useable)

> What is it like on material where there is no hardware acceleration
> support (eg xvid, mpeg2)?

It works fine with
MPEG-4 ASP aka Divx/Xvid
MPEG-4 AVC aka MPEG4 ie: Freeview etc

Fails on: (usually plays the sound but crashes when you stop it)
MPEG1
MPEG2
Wmv (recent one)

--
Jean-Francois Pirus | Technical Manager
francois [at] clearfield | Mob +64 21 640 779 | DDI +64 9 282 3401

Clearfield Software Ltd | Ph +64 9 358 2081 | www.clearfield.com

jfpn at clearfield

Jul 1, 2012, 2:10 AM

Re: Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions. [In reply to]

> > If you want Android you should get a supported Google TV device.
> > I have a Logitech Revue but it doesn't play Mythtv DVB-T HD recordings.
> >

> But isn't "mythtv DVB-T HD recordings" just the "raw" transmitted
> signal? i.e. mythtv has nothing to do with the codecs/etc, the TV card
> basically just writes raw to disk and mythtv lies on top of that? I
> think that's true as I've noticed Microsoft Media Player cannot play the
> audio component of some channels that Mythtv as recorded (over dlna) -
> but works really well on others
>
> Doesn't that really mean the Revue doesn't work with some NZ Freeview
> channels?

I could not get Logitech Revue to play any NZ Freeview channels.

I'm assuming it doesn't support that funky sound format that Freeview uses.

--
Jean-Francois Pirus | Technical Manager
francois [at] clearfield | Mob +64 21 640 779 | DDI +64 9 282 3401

Clearfield Software Ltd | Ph +64 9 358 2081 | www.clearfield.com

stevehodge at gmail

Jul 1, 2012, 3:50 AM

Re: Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions. [In reply to]

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Jason Haar <jhaar-ourshack-com [at] whanau>wrote:

> > If you want Android you should get a supported Google TV device.
> > I have a Logitech Revue but it doesn't play Mythtv DVB-T HD recordings.
> >

> But isn't "mythtv DVB-T HD recordings" just the "raw" transmitted
> signal? i.e. mythtv has nothing to do with the codecs/etc, the TV card
> basically just writes raw to disk and mythtv lies on top of that? I
> think that's true as I've noticed Microsoft Media Player cannot play the
> audio component of some channels that Mythtv as recorded (over dlna) -
> but works really well on others

Most media players don't handle MPEG-TS (transport stream) which what DVB
recordings are. They generally do ok with MPEG-PS (program stream) which is
the type you get on DVDs.

Cheers,
Steve

nick.rout at gmail

Jul 1, 2012, 1:11 PM

Re: Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions. [In reply to]

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Jason Haar <jhaar-ourshack-com [at] whanau>
> wrote:
>>

>> > If you want Android you should get a supported Google TV device.
>> > I have a Logitech Revue but it doesn't play Mythtv DVB-T HD recordings.
>> >

>> But isn't "mythtv DVB-T HD recordings" just the "raw" transmitted
>> signal? i.e. mythtv has nothing to do with the codecs/etc, the TV card
>> basically just writes raw to disk and mythtv lies on top of that? I
>> think that's true as I've noticed Microsoft Media Player cannot play the
>> audio component of some channels that Mythtv as recorded (over dlna) -
>> but works really well on others
>

> Most media players don't handle MPEG-TS (transport stream) which what DVB
> recordings are. They generally do ok with MPEG-PS (program stream) which is
> the type you get on DVDs.

Probably easy to change with a mythtv job. I don't think mythtv will care.

pkendall64 at gmail

Jul 1, 2012, 1:52 PM

Re: Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions. [In reply to]

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM, Jean-Francois Pirus <jfpn [at] clearfield> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 2:41 PM, jfp <jfpn [at] clearfield> wrote:
>> >
>> > Jut got myself a Raspberry Pi (Model B) and just tried it as a Multimedia Player running XBMC.
>> >
>> > The good: It will play Mythtv Freeview DVB-T HD recordings (As well as standard MP4/MKV/AVI's). I've tried TV3 and TV2 recordings, that was quite impressive.
>> >
>> > The bad:
>> > - The interface is a bit sluggish (to be expected)
>> > - While it plays Mythtv recordings it only does so over NFS, using SMB/(Windows shares) it shows something like a frame a second. Apparently SMB is very expensive CPU wise compared to NFS.
>> >
>> > The really bad:
>> > - Starting playback for HD content takes about 30 seconds.
>> > - NFS is a bit flaky currently.
>> >
>> > It's early days, but it looks promising.
>> >
>> > This is using the Openelec distro, you copy it to the SD card and it just works.
>> > I also tried the Raspbmc distro but it's harder to install and seems to freeze fairly often.
>>
>> Have you tried the mythbox addon?
>
> It froze on a black screen, so no go right now.
>
> Also tried the myth:// source path and I got a listing of the files, but could not play them.
>
> I am playing the Mythtv recordings of the nfs share. (But I rename the files so it's actually useable)
>
>> What is it like on material where there is no hardware acceleration
>> support (eg xvid, mpeg2)?
>
> It works fine with
> MPEG-4 ASP aka Divx/Xvid
> MPEG-4 AVC aka MPEG4 ie: Freeview etc
>
> Fails on: (usually plays the sound but crashes when you stop it)
> MPEG1
> MPEG2
> Wmv (recent one)

I have a build of XBMC with the opdenkamp PVR changes and the TSP mythtv
patches and the XBMC-RBP branch all merged together and packaged as a
replacement for the build in raspbmc.

You can install that then extract my build and it works ok.

http://www.raspbmc.com/
http://forum.stmlabs.com/archive/index.php?thread-694.html

Cheers
Paul

jfp at clearfield

Jul 2, 2012, 1:06 AM

Re: Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions. [In reply to]

To finish up on what it can play, it played a raw Blu-ray file (unencrypted) :-)
Which I never thought it would.

That's a 1080p MPEG4 AVC 8 Minutes/1.15GiB file.

General
ID : 0 (0x0)
Complete name : Race to witch mountain extras.m2ts
Format : BDAV
Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
File size : 1.15 GiB
Duration : 8mn 20s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 19.7 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 48.0 Mbps

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High [at] L4
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : 27
Duration : 8mn 20s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 18.7 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 37.0 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.377
Stream size : 1.09 GiB (95%)
Color primaries : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AC-3