Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Recording two channels from one multiplex

worik.stanton at gmail

Jun 20, 2012, 8:53 PM

Recording two channels from one multiplex

This may be a very simple question.

Stephen Worthington, in a helpful reply to a different thread, said...

> Once the tuner is set up and receiving data for the multiplex,
> mythbackend then uses the serviceid value from the channel record to
> select all the data streams for that channel out of the streams on the
> multiplex. The serviceid is transmitted in the data packets
> identifying the channel on the multiplex.
So I should be able to record all the channels from the multiplex
simultaneously.

Do I have to do anything to set that up? How do I find out how?

cheers
Worik

--
it does not matter I think that I shall never see
how much I dig and dig A billboard lovely as a tree

pkendall64 at gmail

Jun 20, 2012, 9:22 PM

Re: Recording two channels from one multiplex [In reply to]

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton [at] gmail> wrote:
> This may be a very simple question.
>
> Stephen Worthington, in a helpful reply to a different thread, said...
>
>> Once the tuner is set up and receiving data for the multiplex,
>> mythbackend then uses the serviceid value from the channel record to
>> select all the data streams for that channel out of the streams on the
>> multiplex.  The serviceid is transmitted in the data packets
>> identifying the channel on the multiplex.
>
> So I should be able to record all the channels from the multiplex
> simultaneously.
>
> Do I have to do anything to set that up?  How do I find out how?

On the backend setup (mythtv-setup) you need to set the number of virtual tuners
to the number of simultaneous recordings you need from a single multiplex.

You do this for each physical tuner that you have.

> cheers
> Worik

Cheers,
Paul

worik.stanton at gmail

Jun 20, 2012, 9:32 PM

Re: Recording two channels from one multiplex [In reply to]

On 21/06/12 16:22, Paul Kendall wrote:
>> So I should be able to record all the channels from the multiplex
>> > simultaneously.
>> >
>> > Do I have to do anything to set that up? How do I find out how?
> On the backend setup (mythtv-setup) you need to set the number of virtual tuners
> to the number of simultaneous recordings you need from a single multiplex.
Thanks. That is very helpful

But, err..., how many recordings do I need from a single multiplex? I
want them all. I have eleven channels on mplexid==6, but I think that
is an error.

cheers
Worik

--
it does not matter I think that I shall never see
how much I dig and dig A billboard lovely as a tree
this hole just Indeed, unless the billboards fall
keeps getting deeper I'll never see a tree at all

dmoo1790 at ihug

Jun 20, 2012, 9:43 PM

Re: Recording two channels from one multiplex [In reply to]

On 21/06/12 16:32, Worik Stanton wrote:
> On 21/06/12 16:22, Paul Kendall wrote:
>>> So I should be able to record all the channels from the multiplex

>> On the backend setup (mythtv-setup) you need to set the number of
>> virtual tuners
>> to the number of simultaneous recordings you need from a single
>> multiplex.
> Thanks. That is very helpful
>
> But, err..., how many recordings do I need from a single multiplex? I
> want them all. I have eleven channels on mplexid==6, but I think that is
> an error.
>
> cheers
> Worik

Several of the channels Kordia broadcasts (the ones with serviceids in
the 1400+ range) are regional. So it depends where you are. This should
help: http://www.freeviewnz.tv/media/23078/channel_line_up__03.05.2012_.pdf.

stevehodge at gmail

Jun 20, 2012, 11:05 PM

Re: Recording two channels from one multiplex [In reply to]

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton [at] gmail>wrote:

> On 21/06/12 16:22, Paul Kendall wrote:
>
>> So I should be able to record all the channels from the multiplex

>> On the backend setup (mythtv-setup) you need to set the number of virtual
>> tuners
>> to the number of simultaneous recordings you need from a single multiplex.
>>
> Thanks. That is very helpful
>
> But, err..., how many recordings do I need from a single multiplex? I
> want them all. I have eleven channels on mplexid==6, but I think that is
> an error

Do you ever record from all 11 channel simultaneously? I guessing not.

Set the number of virtual tuners to the number of simultaneous recordings
you want to do from a single multiplex (keeping in mind any overlap that
could be caused by starting recordings early or ending them late). The
number of recordings you can do will be limited by your system,
particularly disk access and possibly the database. You might have to
experiment to see what your system can handle. But I doubt you'd have any
problems doing 4 or 5 simultaneous recordings and that is likely to be more
than enough.

Cheers,
Steve

stephen_agent at jsw

Jun 21, 2012, 12:38 AM

Re: Recording two channels from one multiplex [In reply to]

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:05:42 +1200, you wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton [at] gmail>wrote:
>
>> On 21/06/12 16:22, Paul Kendall wrote:
>>
>>> So I should be able to record all the channels from the multiplex

>>> On the backend setup (mythtv-setup) you need to set the number of virtual
>>> tuners
>>> to the number of simultaneous recordings you need from a single multiplex.
>>>
>> Thanks. That is very helpful
>>
>> But, err..., how many recordings do I need from a single multiplex? I
>> want them all. I have eleven channels on mplexid==6, but I think that is
>> an error
>

>Do you ever record from all 11 channel simultaneously? I guessing not.
>
>Set the number of virtual tuners to the number of simultaneous recordings
>you want to do from a single multiplex (keeping in mind any overlap that
>could be caused by starting recordings early or ending them late). The
>number of recordings you can do will be limited by your system,
>particularly disk access and possibly the database. You might have to
>experiment to see what your system can handle. But I doubt you'd have any
>problems doing 4 or 5 simultaneous recordings and that is likely to be more
>than enough.
>
>Cheers,
>Steve

You can set as many virtual tuners as there are channels on a
multiplex if you like. There does not seem to be any limiting factor
in the tuner code itself. The limits come with your recording drives
- if you have too many programs recording on one drive, you will get
missing bits in one or more of them when the RAM buffers overflow
before the data can be written to disk. I have three DVB-T tuners and
I have each of them set to 4 virtual tuners. Until ChoiceTV came
along, that seems to have been enough, but I am thinking of increasing
it to 5 each. However, I now have 4 recording drives, so I can easily
cope with many programs recording at once. When working out what your
drives can cope with, you need to account for the overlap on pre-roll
and post-roll, and also if you are doing commercial scanning then add
on one more process reading a file for each commercial scanning (or
transcoding) job. So if you are recording 3 programs each ending at
20:30 and another 3 starting at 20:30, you will actually be recording
6 programs at once from say 20:29 (pre-roll of 1 minute) until say
20:34 (post-roll of 4 minutes). Plus say two more commercial scanning
processes running, for a total of 8 streams of data going on and off
disk. Then add one more for any program you are playing in
mythfrontend at the same time.

Also, if the drive the system and database is on is used as a
recording drive too, you need to account for heavy use of the
mythconverg database every time the scheduler runs, which is at the
beginning and end of programs in particular. It normally only takes a
second or two, but it can really hammer the disk usage. Mythbackend
is pretty good about spreading the usage around multiple drives, and
has an option somewhere to tell it the strategy you want it to use. I
have that set to "Combination", which takes into account all relevant
factors. I would recommend to anyone that they have at least two
recording drives (with the system and database on one of them). And
recording drives are best to be 7200 rpm or AV rated.

pkendall64 at gmail

Jun 21, 2012, 12:41 AM

Re: Recording two channels from one multiplex [In reply to]

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton [at] gmail>
> wrote:

>>> On the backend setup (mythtv-setup) you need to set the number of virtual
>>> tuners
>>> to the number of simultaneous recordings you need from a single
>>> multiplex.
>>
>> Thanks.   That is very helpful
>>
>> But, err..., how many recordings do I need from a single multiplex?  I
>> want them all.  I have eleven channels on mplexid==6, but I think that is an
>> error
>

> Do you ever record from all 11 channel simultaneously? I guessing not.
>
> Set the number of virtual tuners to the number of simultaneous recordings
> you want to do from a single multiplex (keeping in mind any overlap that
> could be caused by starting recordings early or ending them late). The
> number of recordings you can do will be limited by your system, particularly
> disk access and possibly the database. You might have to experiment to see
> what your system can handle. But I doubt you'd have any problems doing 4 or
> 5 simultaneous recordings and that is likely to be more than enough.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Exactly, I personally have 3 tuners each set to allow up to 5
recordings (the maximum)
but haven't had more than 4 recordings at one time on all tuners
(other than when
testing) because there's never that much on telly that I would want!

Cheers,
Paul

nick.rout at gmail

Jun 21, 2012, 1:11 PM

Re: Recording two channels from one multiplex [In reply to]

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent [at] jsw> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:05:42 +1200, you wrote:

>>> Thanks.   That is very helpful
>>>
>>> But, err..., how many recordings do I need from a single multiplex?  I
>>> want them all.  I have eleven channels on mplexid==6, but I think that is
>>> an error
>>

>>Do you ever record from all 11 channel simultaneously? I guessing not.
>>
>>Set the number of virtual tuners to the number of simultaneous recordings
>>you want to do from a single multiplex (keeping in mind any overlap that
>>could be caused by starting recordings early or ending them late). The
>>number of recordings you can do will be limited by your system,
>>particularly disk access and possibly the database. You might have to
>>experiment to see what your system can handle. But I doubt you'd have any
>>problems doing 4 or 5 simultaneous recordings and that is likely to be more
>>than enough.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Steve
>
> You can set as many virtual tuners as there are channels on a
> multiplex if you like.

Actually there is a limit, hardwired in the source code.

worik.stanton at gmail

Jun 21, 2012, 6:37 PM

Re: Recording two channels from one multiplex [In reply to]

[snip]
>> So I should be able to record all the channels from the multiplex
>> simultaneously.
>>
>> Do I have to do anything to set that up? How do I find out how?
> On the backend setup (mythtv-setup) you need to set the number of virtual tuners
> to the number of simultaneous recordings you need from a single multiplex.
I have been through all the screens on mythtv-setup and I cannot find a
"virtual tuners" option. Where should I be looking?

cheers
Worik

> You do this for each physical tuner that you have.
>
>> cheers
>> Worik
>>
> Cheers,
> Paul

it does not matter I think that I shall never see
how much I dig and dig A billboard lovely as a tree
this hole just Indeed, unless the billboards fall
keeps getting deeper I'll never see a tree at all

hoiho.nz at gmail

Jun 21, 2012, 6:52 PM

Re: Recording two channels from one multiplex [In reply to]

On 22/06/12 13:37, Worik Stanton wrote:
> I have been through all the screens on mythtv-setup and I cannot find a
> "virtual tuners" option. Where should I be looking?

Mythtv-setup
Capture Cards
Select each of your DVB-T cards in turn
Recording Options
Then Set "Max Recordings"

Tony Sauri

stephen_agent at jsw

Jun 21, 2012, 6:58 PM

Re: Recording two channels from one multiplex [In reply to]

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 13:37:15 +1200, you wrote:

>[snip]
>>> So I should be able to record all the channels from the multiplex
>>> simultaneously.
>>>
>>> Do I have to do anything to set that up? How do I find out how?
>> On the backend setup (mythtv-setup) you need to set the number of virtual tuners
>> to the number of simultaneous recordings you need from a single multiplex.
>I have been through all the screens on mythtv-setup and I cannot find a
>"virtual tuners" option. Where should I be looking?

On the Capture Cards menu, select the DVB-T adapter, go to Recording
Options, then at the top of the Recorder Options screen adjust the
"Max recordings" value.

worik.stanton at gmail

Jun 21, 2012, 7:12 PM

Re: Recording two channels from one multiplex [In reply to]

On 22/06/12 13:52, Tony Sauri wrote:
> On 22/06/12 13:37, Worik Stanton wrote:
>> I have been through all the screens on mythtv-setup and I cannot find a
>> "virtual tuners" option. Where should I be looking?
>
> Mythtv-setup
> Capture Cards
> Select each of your DVB-T cards in turn
> Recording Options
> Then Set "Max Recordings"
Thanks.

I did not notice "Recording Options" was a button. And "max recordings"
not "virtual tuners".

Excellent.

cheers
Worik