Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Import media files from USB drive

paulgir at gmail

Jun 19, 2012, 1:16 PM

Import media files from USB drive

Can this be done from the the FE GUI ? (0.25)
I have been searching the menus to see if I can see a usb drive that is
connected,but it doesn't appear to be there.
Is there a trick to do this?

-Paul

nick.rout at gmail

Jun 19, 2012, 1:59 PM

Re: Import media files from USB drive [In reply to]

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:

> Can this be done from the the FE GUI ? (0.25)
> I have been searching the menus to see if I can see a usb drive that is
> connected,but it doesn't appear to be there.
> Is there a trick to do this?

Define "import" - do yyou want to move files from the usb drive to
your videos storage group, or do you want to be able to insert a usb
drive and play videos that are on it?

paulgir at gmail

Jun 19, 2012, 8:37 PM

Re: Import media files from USB drive [In reply to]

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 08:59:33 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> Can this be done from the the FE GUI ? (0.25)
>> I have been searching the menus to see if I can see a usb drive that is
>> connected,but it doesn't appear to be there.
>> Is there a trick to do this?
>
> Define "import" - do yyou want to move files from the usb drive to
> your videos storage group, or do you want to be able to insert a usb
> drive and play videos that are on it?

Primarily to copy them to videos storage,but to play direct off the usb
drive would be very useful as well.

worik.stanton at gmail

Jun 19, 2012, 8:47 PM

Re: Import media files from USB drive [In reply to]

> Primarily to copy them to videos storage,but to play direct off the
> usb drive would be very useful as well.

I just copy the files into the video directory of the backend
(/var/lib/mythtv/video on my machine from memory) and in the front end I
use the 'M' key and rescan.

It would be cool to be ale to do that from the front end using the
MythTV UI.

Worik

--
it does not matter I think that I shall never see
how much I dig and dig A billboard lovely as a tree

paulgir at gmail

Jun 19, 2012, 9:00 PM

Re: Import media files from USB drive [In reply to]

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 15:47:31 +1200, Worik Stanton
<worik.stanton [at] gmail> wrote:

>> Primarily to copy them to videos storage,but to play direct off the usb
>> drive would be very useful as well.
>>
> I just copy the files into the video directory of the backend
> (/var/lib/mythtv/video on my machine from memory) and in the front end I
> use the 'M' key and rescan.
>
> It would be cool to be ale to do that from the front end using the
> MythTV UI.
>
> Worik

So I take it that there is no way to do this from the UI?
Am I correct to think that it can be done from optical discs?
I'm surprised that this functionality has not been extended to memory
sticks.

-Paul

nick.rout at gmail

Jun 19, 2012, 9:24 PM

Re: Import media files from USB drive [In reply to]

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 15:47:31 +1200, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton [at] gmail>
> wrote:
>

>>> Primarily to copy them to videos storage,but to play direct off the usb
>>> drive would be very useful as well.
>>>
>> I just copy the files into the video directory of the backend
>> (/var/lib/mythtv/video on my machine from memory) and in the front end I use
>> the 'M' key and rescan.
>>
>> It would be cool to be ale to do that from the front end using the MythTV
>> UI.
>>
>> Worik
>>
> So I take it that there is no way to do this from the UI?

No, but if you use XBMC as well it has a file manager which you could
use (I think, I have never done more than glance at it).

> Am I correct to think that it can be done from optical discs?

No, you can rip (errr I mean backup of course) a DVD but not copy files directly

> I'm surprised that this functionality has not been extended to memory
> sticks.

ssh and mv are the only commands you need to know, although I would
tend to use mount to see where the external is mounted, and mc to do
the copying, just because I like luddite gui file managers.

You can also put the usb device in your laptop and desktop and move
the files over the network if you want to point and click. mythbuntu
exports videos and recordings over samba by default. This will be
slower, unless you have a fast network. Over wireless it is deadly
boringly slow.

whichever way you do it you will need to scan for new videos within
mythvideo, as explained by others in the thread.

paulgir at gmail

Jun 19, 2012, 9:46 PM

Re: Import media files from USB drive [In reply to]

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:24:07 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 15:47:31 +1200, Worik Stanton
>> <worik.stanton [at] gmail>

>>> I just copy the files into the video directory of the backend
>>> (/var/lib/mythtv/video on my machine from memory) and in the front end
>>> I use
>>> the 'M' key and rescan.
>>>
>>> It would be cool to be ale to do that from the front end using the
>>> MythTV
>>> UI.
>>>
>>> Worik
>>>
>> So I take it that there is no way to do this from the UI?
>
> No, but if you use XBMC as well it has a file manager which you could
> use (I think, I have never done more than glance at it).
>
>> Am I correct to think that it can be done from optical discs?
>
> No, you can rip (errr I mean backup of course) a DVD but not copy files
> directly
>
>> I'm surprised that this functionality has not been extended to memory
>> sticks.
>>

> ssh and mv are the only commands you need to know, although I would
> tend to use mount to see where the external is mounted, and mc to do
> the copying, just because I like luddite gui file managers.
>
> You can also put the usb device in your laptop and desktop and move
> the files over the network if you want to point and click. mythbuntu
> exports videos and recordings over samba by default. This will be
> slower, unless you have a fast network. Over wireless it is deadly
> boringly slow.
>
> whichever way you do it you will need to scan for new videos within
> mythvideo, as explained by others in the thread.

I guess I'll keep using Thunar to manually copy the files

Cheers