Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

I killed MYSQL now what?

olivuts at yahoo

Jun 1, 2012, 2:00 AM

I killed MYSQL now what?

The mantra of don't fix it if it isn't broken and don't upgrade if you don't have to worked for me for a couple of years.

But then I went and upgraded - from Ubuntu 10.04 to Ubuntu 11.10, actually that went fine, a few minor display driver issues but easily fixed. Myth was working fine after this upgrade for a week.

Then I noticed that my squeezeserver was no longer working and found out it is not compatible with 11.10 and was now released as Logitech media Server (LMS). It should have been a clue that it was only available as a deb install - not available via apt.

I can't be absolutely sure that is because of LMS but since installing LMS, Myth has not worked.

The specific fault for Myth is that MYSQL will not start.

so far I have:
Uninstalled LMS
Completely removed MYSQL-Server and anything else I could find that was MYSQL
This also removes Myth.
Deleted my.cnf
Reinstalled MYSQL and Myth but still have the same problem with MYSQL not starting.

The only relevant log file I have shows mysql shutting down due to a InnoDB error (at least that is what I think this means).

120601 20:47:23 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled.
120601 20:47:23  InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 8.0M
120601 20:47:23  InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
120601 20:47:23  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 279056
120601 20:47:23  InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
120601 20:47:28  InnoDB: Shutdown completed; log sequence number 0 279056
120601 20:47:28 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled.
120601 20:47:28  InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 8.0M
120601 20:47:28  InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
120601 20:47:28  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 279056
ERROR: 1064  You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ALTER TABLE user ADD column Show_view_priv enum('N','Y') CHARACTER SET utf8 NOT ' at line 1
120601 20:47:28 [ERROR] Aborting

120601 20:47:28  InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
120601 20:47:34  InnoDB: Shutdown completed; log sequence number 0 279056
120601 20:47:34 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown complete

120601 20:47:34 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled.
120601 20:47:34  InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 8.0M
120601 20:47:34  InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
120601 20:47:34  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 279056
120601 20:47:34  InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
120601 20:47:39  InnoDB: Shutdown completed; log sequence number 0 279056
120601 20:47:39 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled.
120601 20:47:39  InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 8.0M
120601 20:47:39  InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
120601 20:47:39  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 279056
ERROR: 1050  Table 'plugin' already exists
120601 20:47:39 [ERROR] Aborting

120601 20:47:39  InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
120601 20:47:44  InnoDB: Shutdown completed; log sequence number 0 279056
120601 20:47:44 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown complete

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Steve

criggie at criggie

Jun 1, 2012, 2:10 AM

Re: I killed MYSQL now what? [In reply to]

On 01/06/12 21:00, Steve V wrote:
> so far I have:
> Uninstalled LMS
> Completely removed MYSQL-Server and anything else I could find that was
> MYSQL
> This also removes Myth.
> Deleted my.cnf
> Reinstalled MYSQL and Myth but still have the same problem with MYSQL not starting.

None of those would have deleted the mythconverg database.

> The only relevant log file I have shows mysql shutting down due to a
> InnoDB error (at least that is what I think this means).
> 120601 20:47:23 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled.
This just means the remote access to other mysql servers plugin is
disabled. No problem here.

> ERROR: 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ALTER TABLE user ADD column Show_view_priv enum('N','Y') CHARACTER SET utf8 NOT ' at line 1
Something tried to change the table called user by adding a column
called Show_view_priv but something's wrong with the command.

> ERROR: 1050 Table 'plugin' already exists
Something's trying to create a table in the database called plugin, and
it already exists.

> Does anyone have any ideas?
Do you have a backup of your SQL database from before the upgrade?
Sounds like its been modified in an incompatible way, or otherwise
trollied.

Does that help?

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

stevehodge at gmail

Jun 1, 2012, 2:36 AM

Re: I killed MYSQL now what? [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM, criggie <criggie [at] criggie> wrote:

> On 01/06/12 21:00, Steve V wrote:
>
>> ERROR: 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that
>> corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near
>> 'ALTER TABLE user ADD column Show_view_priv enum('N','Y') CHARACTER SET
>> utf8 NOT ' at line 1
>>
> Something tried to change the table called user by adding a column called
> Show_view_priv but something's wrong with the command.
>

> ERROR: 1050 Table 'plugin' already exists
>>
> Something's trying to create a table in the database called plugin, and it
> already exists.

Both "user" and "plugin" are mysql system tables. It looks like something
is trying to upgrade the mysql core schema and failing. The Show_view_priv
column was added in 5.0.1. The plugin table was added in 5.1. What version
do you have installed?

What is interesting is that from the log it looks like it's gone through a
couple of shutdown/startup cycles. And the second time it failed at a
different point in the upgrade script. Do you still get the same error now?

Cheers,
Steve

olivuts at yahoo

Jun 1, 2012, 3:01 AM

Re: I killed MYSQL now what? [In reply to]

>________________________________

stevehodge at gmail

Jun 1, 2012, 3:32 AM

Re: I killed MYSQL now what? [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 10:01 PM, Steve V <olivuts [at] yahoo> wrote:

> >> I have installed versio 5.1
>

> >>I added skip-innodb to my.cnf then rebooted the pc.
>
> >>There was no addition to the error log file, but mysql is still not
> running.
> >> ps -aef |grep mysql does not show any mysql running.
>
> >>I have rebooted the PC twice since removing the skip-innodb line and
> there is still no addition to that log. Almost like it is no longer trying
> to start mysql.
>
> Try running mysqld from the command line. You can use mysqld
--print-defaults to see what arguments it would normally run with.

Cheers,
Steve

olivuts at yahoo

Jun 1, 2012, 3:39 AM

Re: I killed MYSQL now what? [In reply to]

>________________________________

stevehodge at gmail

Jun 1, 2012, 3:44 AM

Re: I killed MYSQL now what? [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Steve V <olivuts [at] yahoo> wrote:

> >> I tried reinstalling again.
>

> error log is now as before.
>
> interesting in the details while mysql was installing I saw "Unknown
> job: mysql"
>
> if I run
> sudo service mysql restart
>
> I get
> Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
> utility, e.g. service mysql restart
>
> Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
> Upstart job, you may also use the stop(8) and then start(8) utilities,
> e.g. stop mysql ; start mysql. The restart(8) utility is also available.
> start: Unknown job: mysql
>
> Is there a clue in the above?
>
> sudo start mysql
> gives
> start: Unknown job: mysql
>
> Perhaps. I don't know ubuntu does it's services, but it looks like mysql
hasn't been setup properly as a service. It's possible that your problem is
there rather than a problem with mysql itself. Try running it from the
shell.

Cheers,
Steve

dmoo1790 at ihug

Jun 1, 2012, 4:18 AM

Re: I killed MYSQL now what? [In reply to]

On 01/06/12 22:39, Steve V wrote:

> [...]
Do you have a mysql.conf file in /etc/init/? Upstart needs this. Also
mysql has apparmor complications which might be screwing with you.

olivuts at yahoo

Jun 1, 2012, 4:28 AM

Re: I killed MYSQL now what? [In reply to]

    if I run
>>    sudo service mysql restart
>>
>>    I get
>>    Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the
>>    service(8)
>>    utility, e.g. service mysql restart
>>
>>    Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
>>    Upstart job, you may also use the stop(8) and then start(8) utilities,
>>    e.g. stop mysql ; start mysql. The restart(8) utility is also available.
>>    start: Unknown job: mysql
>>
>>    Is there a clue in the above?
>>
>>    sudo start mysql
>>    gives
>>    start: Unknown job: mysql
>>
>Do you have a mysql.conf file in /etc/init/? Upstart needs this. Also
>mysql has apparmor complications which might be screwing with you.
>

>>> I think you may be onto something with apparmor refernce but I don't know what.
>

>sudo mysqld gives the following in the error log
>120601 22:43:57 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled.
>120601 22:43:57  InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 8.0M
>120601 22:43:57  InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
>120601 22:43:57  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 279056
>120601 22:43:57 [ERROR] Can't start server : Bind on unix socket: Permission denied
>120601 22:43:57 [ERROR] Do you already have another mysqld server running on socket: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock ?
>120601 22:43:57 [ERROR] Aborting
>

>120601 22:43:57  InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
>120601 22:44:02  InnoDB: Shutdown completed; log sequence number 0 279056
>120601 22:44:02 [Note] mysqld: Shutdown complete
>

> I don't think I have another mysqld running at least not according to ps -aef |grep mysql
>

>/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock does not exist /var/run/mysqld/ is empty
>

>I did find https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-server-bugs/2011-October/064838.html
>and I changed
>

>/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid w,
/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock w,
>/{,var/}run/mysqld/mysqld.pid w,
>/{,var/}run/mysqld/mysqld.sock w,
>

>but that did not change anything - still get the permissions error

olivuts at yahoo

Jun 1, 2012, 12:00 PM

Re: I killed MYSQL now what? [In reply to]

dmoo1790 at ihug

Jun 1, 2012, 5:42 PM

Re: I killed MYSQL now what? [In reply to]

On 02/06/12 07:00, Steve V wrote:

> Ok I have moved on, I
>
> sudo apt-get purge mysql-server
> and sudo apt-get purge mysql-client
> and sudo apt-get purge mysql-common
>
> and I also deleted /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld
>
> before reinstalling.
>
> it now seems that mysql is running, but now I am still having
> trouble with restoring my mythtv database.
>
> I guess it may be database password related but I am not sure.
>
> /usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_restore.pl --verbose --directory
> /mythtvstorage3/recordings --filename
> mythconverg-1264-20120527075514.sql.gz
>
> Configuring environment:
> - username: steve
> - HOME: /home/steve
> - MYTHCONFDIR: /home/steve/.mythtv
>
> Parsing configuration files:
> - checking: /home/steve/.mythtv/config.xml
> parsing: /home/steve/.mythtv/config.xml
> - checking: /home/steve/.mythtv/backuprc
>
> Applying command-line arguments.
>
> Checking configuration.
>
> Database Information:
> DBHostName: 10.1.1.11

Is this the problem? Port number should be 3306. Also IP address should
be 127.0.0.1? See below.

> DBPort: 0
>

> mysql -u mythtv -p C1RFOKlE mythconverg
>
> gives
>
> mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.62, for debian-linux-gnu (i686) using
> readline 6.2
> Copyright (c) 2000, 2011, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights
> Variables (--variable-name=value)
> and boolean options {FALSE|TRUE} Value (after reading options)
> port 3306

On my system the port number is set in /etc/mysql/my.cnf.

Also I think you should use the loopback address 127.0.0.1 if that's
what the bind-address is set to in /etc/mysql/my.cnf.

olivuts at yahoo

Jun 1, 2012, 6:15 PM

Re: I killed MYSQL now what? [In reply to]