Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

A successful, problem-free installation...

david at thistledown

A successful, problem-free installation...

I know this list is meant for problem solving, but I'm just so happy
at how well my new installation went that I had to share the
experience. Maybe it will help another 'enthusiastic amateur' like me
to give it a go.

My old system was 4 years, 8 months and 27 days old. Asus M2NPV-VM
mobo, Twin DVB-s cards; originally had a PVR-150 for recording from a
Sky box. Has worked well, but was showing signs of age, and it was a
power-sucker (I never got around to setting up the power control
stuff).

So, I decided to build a reasonably simple system - Freeview only;
don't need Sky. I set up a backend to run on an old Acer Revo. I used
Mythbuntu 11.10 for no other reason that I had a copy of it (I
struggle a bit with data caps). Two WinTV USB tuners are connected to
the UHF aerial I've had on the roof since the days when Sky came in
that way. I set up tv-grab-nz_py without any fuss by following notes
from this list. Installation was all good, reception is solid and
mythfilldatabase worked without any futzing or fiddling on my part.

My old setup used a couple old Xboxes running XBMC as frontends. I
knew when I started that they wouldnt be able to handle HD but I have
resisted retiring them. I will miss them though. They now just play
music and DVDs.

So I knew I would need a couple of new frontends. I didnt expect the
Revo to cut the mustard, but after a bit of fiddling with the VDPAU
settings, it's perfectly good. I wasn't looking forward to trying to
work out what the other frontend would be... but i found that the new
Sony 32" TV I bought for the bedroom actually comes with what amounts
to a perfectly good frontend built in! Without me doing anything
special at all, the TV found the Myth server using DLNA and sorts and
plays recordings perfectly.

And its all been cheap! Total cost of my setup is the price of a
secondhand Revo - about $400 I think, plus a couple of tuners and an
aerial splitter. And a remote that I still had that came originally
with the PVR-150 which Mythbuntu set up for me.

I really didnt expect it all to be so easy. Thanks to this list for
the bits you have helped me with.

- David

noel at igrin

Re: A successful, problem-free installation... [In reply to]

Hi David
Great to hear your success story. I am curious about your TV - What is
the model number so I can Google it?
Our system is a similar vintage, and save for power cuts has been up all
the time. One HDD failure on (thank goodness) the system drive prompted
me to get a SATA raid card and set up a raid array for my recordings etc
over 4 HDDs. I have a 2-disk mirrored array for the system drive. The
only problems I have had are all self-created by (un-necessary)
"tweaking".

criggie at criggie

Re: A successful, problem-free installation... [In reply to]

Noel & Diane wrote:
> Our system is a similar vintage, and save for power cuts has been up all
> the time. One HDD failure on (thank goodness) the system drive prompted
> me to get a SATA raid card and set up a raid array for my recordings etc
> over 4 HDDs. I have a 2-disk mirrored array for the system drive.

In an ideal world, I'd have a software raid1 for the system and database,
and for recordings I'd use pools. So there's no redundancy in the
recorded programmes, but that's not critical data. And you could loose a
drive and only loose a fraction of your recordings.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

david at thistledown

Re: A successful, problem-free installation... [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Noel & Diane <noel [at] igrin> wrote:
> Hi David
> Great to hear your success story.  I am curious about your TV - What is the
> model number so I can Google  it?

Its a Sony Bravia KDL32EX520. Plenty of online reviews out there. I'm
obviously pretty happy with it. The sound is barely average but that's
easy to deal with. The UI frankly is more complicated that it needs to
be, and I've already started googling around to see if it's possible
to hack the OS... nothing obvious yet.

Our system is a similar vintage, and save for power cuts has been up all the
> time.  One HDD failure on (thank goodness) the system drive prompted me to
> get a SATA raid card and set up a raid array for my recordings etc over 4
> HDDs.  I have a 2-disk mirrored array for the system drive.  The only
> problems I have had are all self-created by (un-necessary) "tweaking".

And yes I know many of you will be horrified that I'm running an
entire system on a single drive, but I was really trying to re-create
something like a consumer appliance. It might break, but it will have
been fun. I'll probably add an external SATA drive to the Revo for
more capacity. Actually, we had a (rare) power outage last night. The
system restored itself gracefully with no obvious harm caused.

- David

stevehodge at gmail

Re: A successful, problem-free installation... [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 4:55 PM, David Lowe <david [at] thistledown> wrote:

> And yes I know many of you will be horrified that I'm running an
> entire system on a single drive, but I was really trying to re-create
> something like a consumer appliance. It might break, but it will have
> been fun.

I'm not horrified, I've been doing the same for more than 7 years now. I do
have a RAID5 fileserver for DVD and music rips as those would be very
time-consuming to replace, but if I lost all my recordings it wouldn't be
all that bad.

Cheers,
Steve