Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Deinterlacing problem on TV1 MotoGP broadcasts?

dmoo1790 at ihug

Deinterlacing problem on TV1 MotoGP broadcasts?

Anyone here watch MotoGP on TV1 DVB-T? I believe they have made a hash
of deinterlacing somehow. I can see a strong "comb" effect on motion
across the frame. I believe deinterlacing is working fine on my system
because I only see this problem in the MotoGP broadcasts. Also when I
check Video>Advanced>Deinterlace during playback I can see "Temporal 2x
(HW)" is selected which is what I would expect because that's what I
have chosen as my primary deinterlacer. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

hoiho.nz at gmail

Re: Deinterlacing problem on TV1 MotoGP broadcasts? [In reply to]

On Sun, 06 May 2012 15:11, David Moore wrote:
> Anyone here watch MotoGP on TV1 DVB-T? I believe they have made a hash
> of deinterlacing somehow. I can see a strong "comb" effect on motion
> across the frame. I believe deinterlacing is working fine on my system
> because I only see this problem in the MotoGP broadcasts. Also when I
> check Video>Advanced>Deinterlace during playback I can see "Temporal 2x
> (HW)" is selected which is what I would expect because that's what I
> have chosen as my primary deinterlacer. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

I have not recorded or watched MotoGP so can not comment directly. However

In 2010 I complained to TVNZ via their website about the terrible comb
artifacts on an episode of Corornation Street

Their reply in part:

We regret the poor quality of 'Coronation St.' on Tuesday night.

We have investigated the cause and are now confident it was an isolated
incident. (The file which had been created from the supplied tape had an
incorrect setting, resulting in 'field dominance' issues.)

mythicalbeast at slingshot

Re: Deinterlacing problem on TV1 MotoGP broadcasts? [In reply to]

On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 15:56 +1200, Tony Sauri wrote:
> On Sun, 06 May 2012 15:11, David Moore wrote:
> > Anyone here watch MotoGP on TV1 DVB-T? I believe they have made a hash
> > of deinterlacing somehow. I can see a strong "comb" effect on motion
> > across the frame. I believe deinterlacing is working fine on my system
> > because I only see this problem in the MotoGP broadcasts. Also when I
> > check Video>Advanced>Deinterlace during playback I can see "Temporal 2x
> > (HW)" is selected which is what I would expect because that's what I
> > have chosen as my primary deinterlacer. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Bit of combing on parts of some real close up shots.
Just looks massively compressed. Much worse than last season..
The video quality from the different circuits was quite varied last
season.

dmoo1790 at ihug

Re: Deinterlacing problem on TV1 MotoGP broadcasts? [In reply to]

On Sun, 6 May 2012 15:56:43 +1200, Tony Sauri <hoiho.nz [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Sun, 06 May 2012 15:11, David Moore wrote:
>> Anyone here watch MotoGP on TV1 DVB-T? I believe they have made a hash
>> of deinterlacing somehow. I can see a strong "comb" effect on motion
>> across the frame. I believe deinterlacing is working fine on my system
>> because I only see this problem in the MotoGP broadcasts. Also when I
>> check Video>Advanced>Deinterlace during playback I can see "Temporal 2x
>> (HW)" is selected which is what I would expect because that's what I
>> have chosen as my primary deinterlacer. Anyone else seeing the same
>> thing?
>>
> I have not recorded or watched MotoGP so can not comment directly.
However

> In 2010 I complained to TVNZ via their website about the terrible comb
> artifacts on an episode of Corornation Street
>
> Their reply in part:
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> We regret the poor quality of 'Coronation St.' on Tuesday night.
>
> We have investigated the cause and are now confident it was an isolated
> incident. (The file which had been created from the supplied tape had an
> incorrect setting, resulting in 'field dominance' issues.)
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> So yes TVNZ can get it wrong!
>
> Tony Sauri

That is interesting. I filled in the web complaint form asking WTF so I'll
be interested to see their reply. No replay last time I complained so I'm
not holding my breath. Maybe I should offer my services to TVNZ as a video
conversion consultant. :)

dmoo1790 at ihug

Re: Deinterlacing problem on TV1 MotoGP broadcasts? [In reply to]

On Sun, 06 May 2012 20:24:21 +1200, Brett <mythicalbeast [at] slingshot>
wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 15:56 +1200, Tony Sauri wrote:
>> On Sun, 06 May 2012 15:11, David Moore wrote:
>> > Anyone here watch MotoGP on TV1 DVB-T? I believe they have made a hash
>> > of deinterlacing somehow. I can see a strong "comb" effect on motion
>> > across the frame. I believe deinterlacing is working fine on my system
>> > because I only see this problem in the MotoGP broadcasts. Also when I
>> > check Video>Advanced>Deinterlace during playback I can see "Temporal
2x
>> > (HW)" is selected which is what I would expect because that's what I
>> > have chosen as my primary deinterlacer. Anyone else seeing the same
>> > thing?
>

> Bit of combing on parts of some real close up shots.
> Just looks massively compressed. Much worse than last season..
> The video quality from the different circuits was quite varied last
> season.

It's much easier to see on the close up shots but if you look real close
it's pretty much everywhere there is any motion across the frame. Classic
interlacing problem. Gob-smacked TVNZ can't get this right. Maybe no
commercial pressures means no incentive to get it right.

mythicalbeast at slingshot

Re: Deinterlacing problem on TV1 MotoGP broadcasts? [In reply to]

> > Bit of combing on parts of some real close up shots.
> > Just looks massively compressed. Much worse than last season..
> > The video quality from the different circuits was quite varied last
> > season.
> >

> It's much easier to see on the close up shots but if you look real close
> it's pretty much everywhere there is any motion across the frame. Classic
> interlacing problem. Gob-smacked TVNZ can't get this right. Maybe no
> commercial pressures means no incentive to get it right.

Does not look like classic de-interlacing problem to me..& it is not out
of order fields.
Could be from making interlaced video from progressive without temporal
mv correction (ffmpeg).

I don't think TVNZ does much video processing to MotoGP apart from
ads...just downloads it from internet server & that's why it is
compressed to hell.

dmoo1790 at ihug

Re: Deinterlacing problem on TV1 MotoGP broadcasts? [In reply to]

On 6/05/2012, at 9:59 PM, Brett <mythicalbeast [at] slingshot> wrote:

>>> Bit of combing on parts of some real close up shots.
>>> Just looks massively compressed. Much worse than last season..
>>> The video quality from the different circuits was quite varied last
>>> season.
>>>

>> It's much easier to see on the close up shots but if you look real close
>> it's pretty much everywhere there is any motion across the frame. Classic
>> interlacing problem. Gob-smacked TVNZ can't get this right. Maybe no
>> commercial pressures means no incentive to get it right.
>>
> Does not look like classic de-interlacing problem to me..& it is not out
> of order fields.
> Could be from making interlaced video from progressive without temporal
> mv correction (ffmpeg).
>
> I don't think TVNZ does much video processing to MotoGP apart from
> ads...just downloads it from internet server & that's why it is
> compressed to hell.

By "classic" I meant what you get when someone doesn't even understand what to do, or not do, with interlaced source material. Yes it's compressed but that's not the dominant degrading factor. Just compare frames with low motion with those with lots of motion. Look for edges and you'll see combing everywhere on the high motion frames. I don't know how they fubared it so badly.

Wouldn't TVNZ have to produce 1080i from a likely progressive content source? Or do MotoGP.com supply content ready for broadcast?