Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Re: mythtvnz Digest, Vol 57, Issue 3

johanschuld at gmail

Re: mythtvnz Digest, Vol 57, Issue 3

> If those signal level % values were from the TD-500, I would say they
> were way too low. But as far as I can tell, the numbers from each
> card are only comparable to the same exact model of card. For the
> TD-500, if I am remembering correctly, you need > 65% signal level
> before it will record reliably.
>
> When you are getting lock on the HVR-4000 and TD-500, is that at the
> same time, or are you moving the cable between them? If so, then
> adding the necessary splitter and its 6? db drop in the signal levels
> is going to cause problems.

The signal levens listed are all on the HVR4000. I can't get the readings
on the TD500, it does not seem to support reading out those values?

The lock on HVR40000 and TD500 is not on the exact same time. but a minute
apart max. I move the cable between them. In any of the tests I did I have
never used a splitter or anything.

Also, no matter what I do with the antenna, the signal level is always 21%,
so I think it might not be a value that can be read out on the HVR4000.

stephen_agent at jsw

Re: mythtvnz Digest, Vol 57, Issue 3 [In reply to]

On Sat, 5 May 2012 22:36:44 +1200, you wrote:

>> If those signal level % values were from the TD-500, I would say they
>> were way too low. But as far as I can tell, the numbers from each
>> card are only comparable to the same exact model of card. For the
>> TD-500, if I am remembering correctly, you need > 65% signal level
>> before it will record reliably.
>>
>> When you are getting lock on the HVR-4000 and TD-500, is that at the
>> same time, or are you moving the cable between them? If so, then
>> adding the necessary splitter and its 6? db drop in the signal levels
>> is going to cause problems.
>>

>The signal levens listed are all on the HVR4000. I can't get the readings
>on the TD500, it does not seem to support reading out those values?
>
>The lock on HVR40000 and TD500 is not on the exact same time. but a minute
>apart max. I move the cable between them. In any of the tests I did I have
>never used a splitter or anything.
>
>Also, no matter what I do with the antenna, the signal level is always 21%,
>so I think it might not be a value that can be read out on the HVR4000.

When MythTV is locking in at the start of watching a channel on live
TV, it displays the signal quality numbers. From my TD-500, it seemed
to be giving real numbers. There is probably a command to make it
bring up that display at will, but you might need to go into the setup
for the keys and associate it with a key.

I just checked the keys setup and there is a SIGNALMON command tied to
Alt+F7 on my 0.24+fixes setup. On 0.24+fixes it does not seem to do
anything - maybe it works on 0.25? I am pretty sure it used to work
on earlier versions, but it is ages since I last used it.

mythicalbeast at slingshot

Re: mythtvnz Digest, Vol 57, Issue 3 [In reply to]

> The signal levens listed are all on the HVR4000. I can't get the
> readings on the TD500, it does not seem to support reading out those
> values?

I have used femon with the T500 & TD500 over the years..
I have found femon works as expected with TD500 84109LF.

My TD500 tunes with similar signal levels to T500 but has high
intermittent BER errors.
This is connected in place of a working T500 on same antenna.
The TD500 has never worked correctly but it was free.

T500 tuned TV3..femon -H
FE: DiBcom 3000MC/P (DVBT)
status SCVYL | signal 60% | snr 0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
etc..

There are posts on Haupigs site (by company rep) about NZ FreeviewHD
high bitrate causing problems & there was an internet rumour about TD500
recall (of unsold stock).

Brett.

stephen_agent at jsw

Re: mythtvnz Digest, Vol 57, Issue 3 [In reply to]

On Sun, 06 May 2012 08:13:59 +1200, you wrote:

>> The signal levens listed are all on the HVR4000. I can't get the
>> readings on the TD500, it does not seem to support reading out those
>> values?

>I have used femon with the T500 & TD500 over the years..
>I have found femon works as expected with TD500 84109LF.
>
>My TD500 tunes with similar signal levels to T500 but has high
>intermittent BER errors.
>This is connected in place of a working T500 on same antenna.
>The TD500 has never worked correctly but it was free.
>
>T500 tuned TV3..femon -H
>FE: DiBcom 3000MC/P (DVBT)
>status SCVYL | signal 60% | snr 0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
>etc..
>
>There are posts on Haupigs site (by company rep) about NZ FreeviewHD
>high bitrate causing problems & there was an internet rumour about TD500
>recall (of unsold stock).
>
>Brett.

So why does the one in my mother's MythTV box work just fine? Is it a
different model from yours? Hers is ID 2040:8400 on lsusb. And my
one also worked just fine when I was using it. They both gave trouble
until I fixed the antenna system.

My recollection is that a previous incompatible model was on sale for
a short while. That might have been recalled, but it is not the card
we are talking about which is the current TD-500, ID 2040:8400. The
original T-500 also works, it is just the one they made for a short
time between those that does not.

hoiho.nz at gmail

Re: mythtvnz Digest, Vol 57, Issue 3 [In reply to]

On Sun, 06 May 2012 14:02, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sun, 06 May 2012 08:13:59 +1200, you wrote:
> >> The signal levens listed are all on the HVR4000. I can't get the
> >> readings on the TD500, it does not seem to support reading out those
> >> values?

> >I have used femon with the T500 & TD500 over the years..
> >I have found femon works as expected with TD500 84109LF.
> >
> >My TD500 tunes with similar signal levels to T500 but has high
> >intermittent BER errors.
> >This is connected in place of a working T500 on same antenna.
> >The TD500 has never worked correctly but it was free.
> >
> >T500 tuned TV3..femon -H
> >FE: DiBcom 3000MC/P (DVBT)
> >status SCVYL | signal 60% | snr 0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
> >etc..
> >
> >There are posts on Haupigs site (by company rep) about NZ FreeviewHD
> >high bitrate causing problems & there was an internet rumour about TD500
> >recall (of unsold stock).
> >
> >Brett.
>
> So why does the one in my mother's MythTV box work just fine? Is it a
> different model from yours? Hers is ID 2040:8400 on lsusb. And my
> one also worked just fine when I was using it. They both gave trouble
> until I fixed the antenna system.
>
> My recollection is that a previous incompatible model was on sale for
> a short while. That might have been recalled, but it is not the card
> we are talking about which is the current TD-500, ID 2040:8400. The
> original T-500 also works, it is just the one they made for a short
> time between those that does not.

I dont know if it helps but for comparison here are the details of my
Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T-500.

tartarus [at] brora:~$ sudo lsusb -v
[sudo] password for tartarus:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 2040:9950 Hauppauge
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x2040 Hauppauge
idProduct 0x9950
bcdDevice 1.00
iManufacturer 1 Hauppauge
iProduct 2 WinTV Nova-DT
iSerial 3 4031495282
bNumConfigurations 1

Packaging Description: WinTV Nova-T-500-HD
Package Bar Code: 7 85428 00298 9

This PCI card has 2 tuners -- but has onli 1 antenna input socket
lsusb id: ID 2040:9950 Hauppauge

The only issues I have had with this card have been
The need to utrn on the LNA
The need to cold restart to make sure the firmware loads.

I have clear line of sight path to Mt KauKau at a distance of approx 18 - 20
Kms.

I have been able to run this card successfully on a pair of rabbit ears from
this location.

Current Femon stats are:

tartarus [at] brora:~$ femon -H -c 10
FE: DiBcom 3000MC/P (DVBT)
status SCVYL | signal 71% | snr 0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal 71% | snr 0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal 71% | snr 0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal 71% | snr 0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal 71% | snr 0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal 71% | snr 0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal 71% | snr 0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal 71% | snr 0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal 71% | snr 0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal 71% | snr 0% | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK

Upstairs my TV which uses a homebrew folded dipole made from TV ribbon cable
taped to the back of the TV reports Signal strength 100 BER 0.

Hope this all helps.

mythicalbeast at slingshot

Re: mythtvnz Digest, Vol 57, Issue 3 [In reply to]

> So why does the one in my mother's MythTV box work just fine? Is it a
> different model from yours? Hers is ID 2040:8400 on lsusb. And my
> one also worked just fine when I was using it. They both gave trouble
> until I fixed the antenna system.
>
> My recollection is that a previous incompatible model was on sale for
> a short while. That might have been recalled, but it is not the card
> we are talking about which is the current TD-500, ID 2040:8400. The
> original T-500 also works, it is just the one they made for a short
> time between those that does not.

I don't necessary believe any of the excuses posted by Haupig or that
any cards where recalled except for some manufacturing defect.
The incompatible card is mentioned on LinuxTV.org.

I know the original T500 works okay , I have used one for about 4 yrs.
The problem with TD500 is not linux incompatibility but intermittent
bursts of high BER.

The card has been removed from the PC but sure the id is 2040:84xx.