Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04

 

 

MythTV mythtvnz RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


scottn at ihug

Apr 27, 2012, 4:34 PM

Post #1 of 18 (3755 views)
Permalink
Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04

Just thought I would let everyone know I've upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04 and
everything still seems to be working.

--
Regards
Scott Newton

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


paulgir at gmail

Apr 28, 2012, 12:15 PM

Post #2 of 18 (3669 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04 [In reply to]

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 11:34:28 +1200, Scott Newton <scottn [at] ihug> wrote:

> Just thought I would let everyone know I've upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04
> and
> everything still seems to be working.

Was that an upgrade using the update manager or a clean install of the new
version?

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


scottn at ihug

Apr 28, 2012, 1:52 PM

Post #3 of 18 (3675 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04 [In reply to]

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 07:15:02 Paulgir wrote:
> Was that an upgrade using the update manager or a clean install of the new
> version?

Using the update manager.

Probably should mention that with the changes to resolv.conf in 12.04 needed
to add the following to /etc/network/interfaces for my main interface eth0.

dns-nameservers <nameserver>
dns-search <search-domain>

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man8/resolvconf.8.html

Now that it's been running for ~24 hours there are two other things I would
mention:
1. The front end seems slightly less responsive than before but whether that
is real or not I'm not sure.
2. I have had the front end crash on me once though at the moment 0.25 has
almost daily fixes so it may be a bit early to know if this is a real issue or
not.

Thanks

--
Regards
Scott Newton

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


nick.rout at gmail

Apr 28, 2012, 9:58 PM

Post #4 of 18 (3668 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04 [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Scott Newton <scottn [at] ihug> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 07:15:02 Paulgir wrote:
>> Was that an upgrade using the update manager or a clean install of the new
>> version?
>
> Using the update manager.


from what? (i have 10.04 and am interested in LTS-->LTS upgrade)

>
> Probably should mention that with the changes to resolv.conf in 12.04 needed
> to add the following to /etc/network/interfaces for my main interface eth0.
>
> dns-nameservers <nameserver>
> dns-search <search-domain>
>
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man8/resolvconf.8.html
>
> Now that it's been running for ~24 hours there are two other things I would
> mention:
> 1. The front end seems slightly less responsive than before but whether that
> is real or not I'm not sure.
> 2. I have had the front end crash on me once though at the moment 0.25 has
> almost daily fixes so it may be a bit early to know if this is a real issue or
> not.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Regards
> Scott Newton
>
> _______________________________________________
> mythtvnz mailing list
> mythtvnz [at] lists
> http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
> Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


scottn at ihug

Apr 28, 2012, 10:13 PM

Post #5 of 18 (3672 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04 [In reply to]

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 16:58:32 Nick Rout wrote:
> from what? (i have 10.04 and am interested in LTS-->LTS upgrade)

11.10

If you are going from 10.04 then you will want to read the release notes:

http://www.mythbuntu.org/12.04/release

Known issues

If upgrading and you have mythstream installed. Please remove mythstream
before upgrading as mythstream is no longer supported.
If you have used Jamu in the past, you should run "mythmetadatalookup --
refresh-all"
Upgrading from 10.04 -> 12.04 will result in a broken system (grub isn't
installed properly) see Bug 978464
If you are upgrading and want to use the HTTP Live Streaming you need to
create a Streaming storage group
Upgrading using the LiveCD will overwrite the /var directory (database and
default recording location among others)

--
Regards
Scott Newton

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


nick.rout at gmail

Apr 29, 2012, 10:15 PM

Post #6 of 18 (3665 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04 [In reply to]

>    Upgrading using the LiveCD will overwrite the /var directory (database and
> default recording location among others)

That is appalling!

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


paulgir at gmail

Apr 29, 2012, 11:49 PM

Post #7 of 18 (3659 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04 [In reply to]

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 17:15:00 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

>> Upgrading using the LiveCD will overwrite the /var directory
>> (database and
>> default recording location among others)
>
> That is appalling!
>
So what's the work-around for that?

Back-up the old /var and replace the new /var with it after the upgrade?

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


jonathan.hoskin at gmail

Apr 30, 2012, 12:20 AM

Post #8 of 18 (3666 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04 [In reply to]

> So what's the work-around for that?
>
> Back-up the old /var and replace the new /var with it after the upgrade?
If it is a separate partition, how about removing it from /etc/fstab prior to the upgrade, then adding it back in afterwards?


nick.rout at gmail

Apr 30, 2012, 12:43 AM

Post #9 of 18 (3679 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04 [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 17:15:00 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>>>   Upgrading using the LiveCD will overwrite the /var directory (database
>>> and
>>> default recording location among others)
>>
>>
>> That is appalling!
>>
> So what's the work-around for that?
>
> Back-up the old /var and replace the new /var with it after the upgrade?

No because there will be files in /var/ that have been replaced by new packages.

Fresh install with backed up database I guess.

Keeping myth files in /var/lib/ is the worst part of mythbuntu IMHO. Rationale:

1. A mythtv system can survive on one disk, but experience and list
lurking teaches that keeping the database on a separate drive helps
performance heaps, and that keeping video data on a separate partition
is a boon when upgrading or backing up.

2. The database is in /var/lib/mysql. Mythbuntu stores data in
/var/lib/mythtv and /var/lib/mytharchive and /var/lib/mythdvd - all
can contain large files, even if the latter two might only contain
transient data while files are archived or dvds ripped.

3. Try arranging a sane disk partitioning scheme around that, bearing
in mind the desirability of keeping the database on a separate disk to
the video/tv data and the fact you want /var/lib/myth* on a separate
partition for backup and upgrades.

My solutions are to have a small disk (assuming you can find such a
thing these days) for the OS (including the mysql data) and completely
bypass /var/lib/myth* in favour dedicated disks for myth's video
files. Still allow mytharchive and mythdvd to use /var/lib and hope
they don't fill the hard drive or interfere too much with mysql
performance (they shouldn't). However knowing to do that is not in the
scope for beginners, and mythbuntu is supposed to be suitable for
beginners.

But any upgrade process that wipes out your mysql databases, your web
pages and everything else in /var is an absolute nightmare. If this is
true, there are going to be some VERY pissed off sysadmins in this
world.

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


hads at nice

Apr 30, 2012, 1:23 AM

Post #10 of 18 (3650 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04 [In reply to]

On 30/04/12 17:15, Nick Rout wrote:
>> Upgrading using the LiveCD will overwrite the /var directory (database and
>> default recording location among others)
>
> That is appalling!

Certainly is. I'm sure many don't read the release notes that closely
and no one should have to expect an upgrade to destroy an entire
directory tree.

hads
--
http://nice.net.nz

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


nick.rout at gmail

Apr 30, 2012, 1:49 AM

Post #11 of 18 (3661 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04 [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Hadley Rich <hads [at] nice> wrote:
> On 30/04/12 17:15, Nick Rout wrote:
>>>
>>>    Upgrading using the LiveCD will overwrite the /var directory (database
>>> and
>>> default recording location among others)
>>
>>
>> That is appalling!
>
>
> Certainly is. I'm sure many don't read the release notes that closely and no
> one should have to expect an upgrade to destroy an entire directory tree.


This makes me annoyed again at *buntu. The grub problem was reported
on 11 April and defined as critical and confirmed on the 14th.
Nevertheless ubuntu is released on 26 April without a fix. What is
with that? I mean 12.04 is a LTS and is therefore specifically made so
that previous LTS users (ie 10.04) can upgrade. And they leave it
broken?

Give me a rolling release please. Trouble is, from experience gentoo
is too fiddly/time consuming and LinHES makes me nervous as it is
essentially a one man band with a few helpers and has a quite small
user base.

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


tortise at paradise

Apr 30, 2012, 3:25 AM

Post #12 of 18 (3649 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04 [In reply to]

On 30/04/2012 7:43 p.m., Nick Rout wrote:

> My solutions are to have a small disk (assuming you can find such a
> thing these days) for the OS (including the mysql data)

Use an SSD for this Nick. Plenty of size choice, with the bank
favouring small.

>Still allow mytharchive and mythdvd to use /var/lib and hope
>they don't fill the hard drive or interfere too much with mysql
>performance (they shouldn't).

With a good SSD (I suggest only use Intel solely because their firmware
upgrade path has the widest OS options) this would be most unlikely to
happen.

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


mythicalbeast at slingshot

May 1, 2012, 3:21 AM

Post #13 of 18 (3636 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04 [In reply to]

> This makes me annoyed again at *buntu. The grub problem was reported
> on 11 April and defined as critical and confirmed on the 14th.
> Nevertheless ubuntu is released on 26 April without a fix. What is
> with that? I mean 12.04 is a LTS and is therefore specifically made so
> that previous LTS users (ie 10.04) can upgrade. And they leave it
> broken?
>
This could just be a mythbuntu own goal..
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is not being offered to 10.04.3 LTS yet..
FWIW on ubuntu forums 10.04 LTS --> 12.04 LTS upgrade path is to be
offered at the 12.04.1 release point.




_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


steven at openmedia

May 1, 2012, 4:07 AM

Post #14 of 18 (3633 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04 [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 10:21 pm, Brett wrote:
>> This makes me annoyed again at *buntu. The grub problem was reported
>> on 11 April and defined as critical and confirmed on the 14th.
>> Nevertheless ubuntu is released on 26 April without a fix. What is
>> with that? I mean 12.04 is a LTS and is therefore specifically made so
>> that previous LTS users (ie 10.04) can upgrade. And they leave it
>> broken?
>>
> This could just be a mythbuntu own goal..
> Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is not being offered to 10.04.3 LTS yet..
> FWIW on ubuntu forums 10.04 LTS --> 12.04 LTS upgrade path is to be
> offered at the 12.04.1 release point.

If you are determined update-manager -d will pull in 12.04 LTS.


--------------------------------------------
Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email - steven [at] openmedia
website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


mythicalbeast at slingshot

May 1, 2012, 10:32 PM

Post #15 of 18 (3618 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04 [In reply to]

On Tue, 2012-05-01 at 23:07 +1200, Steven Ellis wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 10:21 pm, Brett wrote:
> >> This makes me annoyed again at *buntu. The grub problem was reported
> >> on 11 April and defined as critical and confirmed on the 14th.
> >> Nevertheless ubuntu is released on 26 April without a fix. What is
> >> with that? I mean 12.04 is a LTS and is therefore specifically made so
> >> that previous LTS users (ie 10.04) can upgrade. And they leave it
> >> broken?
> >>
> > This could just be a mythbuntu own goal..
> > Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is not being offered to 10.04.3 LTS yet..
> > FWIW on ubuntu forums 10.04 LTS --> 12.04 LTS upgrade path is to be
> > offered at the 12.04.1 release point.
>
> If you are determined update-manager -d will pull in 12.04 LTS.
>
Thanks, I'm aware it can be forced but the point is it is not offered
for good reason.

Good of mythbuntu folks to iron out all the upgrade problems tho.



_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


rama.madhusudhan at gmail

May 4, 2012, 8:42 PM

Post #16 of 18 (3548 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04 [In reply to]

Hi all,

I recently freshly installed mythbuntu 12.04 . It was working great
initially my capture card(HVR -1200) showed up but after and updates I
could not find my capture card in mythtv-setup , all my drivers and
firmware were present and I can watch live tv via VLC . Can someone help me
what to do? Thanks.

Thanks,
Rama.

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Brett <mythicalbeast [at] slingshot> wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-05-01 at 23:07 +1200, Steven Ellis wrote:
> > On Tue, May 1, 2012 10:21 pm, Brett wrote:
> > >> This makes me annoyed again at *buntu. The grub problem was reported
> > >> on 11 April and defined as critical and confirmed on the 14th.
> > >> Nevertheless ubuntu is released on 26 April without a fix. What is
> > >> with that? I mean 12.04 is a LTS and is therefore specifically made so
> > >> that previous LTS users (ie 10.04) can upgrade. And they leave it
> > >> broken?
> > >>
> > > This could just be a mythbuntu own goal..
> > > Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is not being offered to 10.04.3 LTS yet..
> > > FWIW on ubuntu forums 10.04 LTS --> 12.04 LTS upgrade path is to be
> > > offered at the 12.04.1 release point.
> >
> > If you are determined update-manager -d will pull in 12.04 LTS.
> >
> Thanks, I'm aware it can be forced but the point is it is not offered
> for good reason.
>
> Good of mythbuntu folks to iron out all the upgrade problems tho.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> mythtvnz mailing list
> mythtvnz [at] lists
> http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
> Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/
>


nick.rout at gmail

May 4, 2012, 10:00 PM

Post #17 of 18 (3549 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04 [In reply to]

Why did you need to use mythtv-setup again?



On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Rama Madhusudhan
<rama.madhusudhan [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently freshly installed mythbuntu 12.04 . It was working great
> initially my capture card(HVR -1200) showed up but after and updates I could
> not find my capture card in mythtv-setup , all my drivers and firmware were
> present and I can watch live tv via VLC . Can someone help me what to do?
> Thanks.
>
> Thanks,
> Rama.
>
>
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Brett <mythicalbeast [at] slingshot> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2012-05-01 at 23:07 +1200, Steven Ellis wrote:
>> > On Tue, May 1, 2012 10:21 pm, Brett wrote:
>> > >> This makes me annoyed again at *buntu. The grub problem was reported
>> > >> on 11 April and defined as critical and confirmed on the 14th.
>> > >> Nevertheless ubuntu is released on 26 April without a fix. What is
>> > >> with that? I mean 12.04 is a LTS and is therefore specifically made
>> > >> so
>> > >> that previous LTS users (ie 10.04) can upgrade. And they leave it
>> > >> broken?
>> > >>
>> > > This could just be a mythbuntu own goal..
>> > > Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is not being offered to 10.04.3 LTS yet..
>> > > FWIW on ubuntu forums 10.04 LTS --> 12.04 LTS upgrade path is to be
>> > > offered at the 12.04.1 release point.
>> >
>> > If you are determined update-manager -d will pull in 12.04 LTS.
>> >
>> Thanks, I'm aware it can be forced but the point is it is not offered
>> for good reason.
>>
>> Good of mythbuntu folks to iron out all the upgrade problems tho.
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> mythtvnz mailing list
>> mythtvnz [at] lists
>> http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
>> Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> mythtvnz mailing list
> mythtvnz [at] lists
> http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
> Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/
>

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


rama.madhusudhan at gmail

May 4, 2012, 11:01 PM

Post #18 of 18 (3549 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04 [In reply to]

Because after the updates it gave me a new theme and my old settings were
gone. So I went to mythtv-setup to start from beginning . Thanks.

Rama

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> Why did you need to use mythtv-setup again?
>
>
>
> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Rama Madhusudhan
> <rama.madhusudhan [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I recently freshly installed mythbuntu 12.04 . It was working great
> > initially my capture card(HVR -1200) showed up but after and updates I
> could
> > not find my capture card in mythtv-setup , all my drivers and firmware
> were
> > present and I can watch live tv via VLC . Can someone help me what to do?
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rama.
> >
> >
> > On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Brett <mythicalbeast [at] slingshot>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Tue, 2012-05-01 at 23:07 +1200, Steven Ellis wrote:
> >> > On Tue, May 1, 2012 10:21 pm, Brett wrote:
> >> > >> This makes me annoyed again at *buntu. The grub problem was
> reported
> >> > >> on 11 April and defined as critical and confirmed on the 14th.
> >> > >> Nevertheless ubuntu is released on 26 April without a fix. What is
> >> > >> with that? I mean 12.04 is a LTS and is therefore specifically made
> >> > >> so
> >> > >> that previous LTS users (ie 10.04) can upgrade. And they leave it
> >> > >> broken?
> >> > >>
> >> > > This could just be a mythbuntu own goal..
> >> > > Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is not being offered to 10.04.3 LTS yet..
> >> > > FWIW on ubuntu forums 10.04 LTS --> 12.04 LTS upgrade path is to be
> >> > > offered at the 12.04.1 release point.
> >> >
> >> > If you are determined update-manager -d will pull in 12.04 LTS.
> >> >
> >> Thanks, I'm aware it can be forced but the point is it is not offered
> >> for good reason.
> >>
> >> Good of mythbuntu folks to iron out all the upgrade problems tho.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> mythtvnz mailing list
> >> mythtvnz [at] lists
> >> http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
> >> Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > mythtvnz mailing list
> > mythtvnz [at] lists
> > http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
> > Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> mythtvnz mailing list
> mythtvnz [at] lists
> http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
> Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/
>

MythTV mythtvnz RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.