Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Per video aspect ratio?

sultanoswing at gmail

Per video aspect ratio?

I have some Hairy MacClary videos in mythTV (under the newly revamped
0.25 Video setup). They are 4:3 ratio, which means I have to manually
set the aspect ratio each time ('w' key) the video is played on my
16:9 TV.

Question: is there a way to automatically set a 'per video' aspect
ratio so that 4:3 vids start playing stretched to 16:9? I suppoes I
could use an external player for the affected videos and set the
parameters up there, but would prefer to continue to use the internal
player if possible.

If not possible, I reckon this would be a useful feature request.

nick.rout at gmail

Re: Per video aspect ratio? [In reply to]

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing [at] gmail> wrote:
> I have some Hairy MacClary videos in mythTV (under the newly revamped
> 0.25 Video setup). They are 4:3 ratio, which means I have to manually
> set the aspect ratio each time ('w' key) the video is played on my
> 16:9 TV.
>
> Question: is there a way to automatically set a 'per video' aspect
> ratio so that 4:3 vids start playing stretched to 16:9? I suppoes I
> could use an external player for the affected videos and set the
> parameters up there, but would prefer to continue to use the internal
> player if possible.
>
> If not possible, I reckon this would be a useful feature request.

It is not a myth problem, it is a problem with the video files. Use
mpeg4modifier to set the proper aspect ratio in the file itself.
http://moitah.net/

nick.rout at gmail

Re: Per video aspect ratio? [In reply to]

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing [at] gmail> wrote:
>> I have some Hairy MacClary videos in mythTV (under the newly revamped
>> 0.25 Video setup). They are 4:3 ratio, which means I have to manually
>> set the aspect ratio each time ('w' key) the video is played on my
>> 16:9 TV.
>>
>> Question: is there a way to automatically set a 'per video' aspect
>> ratio so that 4:3 vids start playing stretched to 16:9? I suppoes I
>> could use an external player for the affected videos and set the
>> parameters up there, but would prefer to continue to use the internal
>> player if possible.
>>
>> If not possible, I reckon this would be a useful feature request.
>
> It is not a myth problem, it is a problem with the video files. Use
> mpeg4modifier to set the proper aspect ratio in the file itself.
> http://moitah.net/

Actually having re-read your question, why would you want to stretch
to 16:9 when the correct aspect ratio for the video is 4:3? Everything
will be stretched and look fat.

hads at nice

Re: Per video aspect ratio? [In reply to]

On 05/05/12 11:07, Nick Rout wrote:
> Actually having re-read your question, why would you want to stretch
> to 16:9 when the correct aspect ratio for the video is 4:3? Everything
> will be stretched and look fat.

That's what I was wondering. If it's 4:3 it's displaying correctly if it
has black bars on the sides.

hads
--
http://nice.net.nz

banksie at paradise

Re: Per video aspect ratio? [In reply to]

Quoting Hadley Rich <hads [at] nice>:

> On 05/05/12 11:07, Nick Rout wrote:
> > Actually having re-read your question, why would you want to stretch
> > to 16:9 when the correct aspect ratio for the video is 4:3? Everything
> > will be stretched and look fat.
>
> That's what I was wondering. If it's 4:3 it's displaying correctly if it
> has black bars on the sides.

If he has a TV that has some funky stretching modes on it, then it could make
perfect sense to force 4:3 content to go full screen. My panasonic 16:9 has a
stretch mode that does this and tries to 'intelligently' display a 4:3 image
over the whole screen.

Philip

nick.rout at gmail

Re: Per video aspect ratio? [In reply to]

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 11:22 AM, <banksie [at] paradise> wrote:
> Quoting Hadley Rich <hads [at] nice>:
>
>> On 05/05/12 11:07, Nick Rout wrote:
>> > Actually having re-read your question, why would you want to stretch
>> > to 16:9 when the correct aspect ratio for the video is 4:3? Everything
>> > will be stretched and look fat.
>>
>> That's what I was wondering. If it's 4:3 it's displaying correctly if it
>> has black bars on the sides.
>
>   If he has a TV that has some funky stretching modes on it, then it could make
> perfect sense to force 4:3 content to go full screen. My panasonic 16:9 has a
> stretch mode that does this and tries to 'intelligently' display a 4:3 image
> over the whole screen.

Yes my panasonic has that mode, it stretches more at the edges than in
the middle, so the effect is not so obvious. I haven't used it much.

However in that case you would still want myth to present the picture
in 4:3 and let the TV do the smart stretching.

Frankly I prefer to watch as the author/broadcaster intended, and not
stretch at all.

Anyway, if the OP wants to change the presented aspect ratio on his
videos, mpeg4modifier will do the trick.

sultanoswing at gmail

Re: Per video aspect ratio? [In reply to]

On 5 May 2012 11:34, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 11:22 AM,  <banksie [at] paradise> wrote:
>> Quoting Hadley Rich <hads [at] nice>:

>>> That's what I was wondering. If it's 4:3 it's displaying correctly if it
>>> has black bars on the sides.
>>
>>   If he has a TV that has some funky stretching modes on it, then it could make
>> perfect sense to force 4:3 content to go full screen. My panasonic 16:9 has a
>> stretch mode that does this and tries to 'intelligently' display a 4:3 image
>> over the whole screen.
>
> Yes my panasonic has that mode, it stretches more at the edges than in
> the middle, so the effect is not so obvious. I haven't used it much.
>
> However in that case you would still want myth to present the picture
> in 4:3 and let the TV do the smart stretching.
>
> Frankly I prefer to watch as the author/broadcaster intended, and not
> stretch at all.
>
> Anyway, if the OP wants to change the presented aspect ratio on his
> videos, mpeg4modifier will do the trick.

It's Hairy Maclary - and an avi rip at that - hardly videophile
quality. It actually looks pretty unnoticeable when stretched to 16:9,
and on balance, is preferable to the side black bars.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as pixel-perfect-aspect-ratio-correct a kind
of guy as the next geek on here, but in this instance was wondering
whether there was a setting, as opposed to editing the avi container's
information.

I'll take the above collective replies as a "no" :)

nick.rout at gmail

Re: Per video aspect ratio? [In reply to]

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 5 May 2012 11:34, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

>>>   If he has a TV that has some funky stretching modes on it, then it could make
>>> perfect sense to force 4:3 content to go full screen. My panasonic 16:9 has a
>>> stretch mode that does this and tries to 'intelligently' display a 4:3 image
>>> over the whole screen.
>>
>> Yes my panasonic has that mode, it stretches more at the edges than in
>> the middle, so the effect is not so obvious. I haven't used it much.
>>
>> However in that case you would still want myth to present the picture
>> in 4:3 and let the TV do the smart stretching.
>>
>> Frankly I prefer to watch as the author/broadcaster intended, and not
>> stretch at all.
>>
>> Anyway, if the OP wants to change the presented aspect ratio on his
>> videos, mpeg4modifier will do the trick.

> It's Hairy Maclary - and an avi rip at that - hardly videophile
> quality. It actually looks pretty unnoticeable when stretched to 16:9,
> and on balance, is preferable to the side black bars.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm as pixel-perfect-aspect-ratio-correct a kind
> of guy as the next geek on here, but in this instance was wondering
> whether there was a setting, as opposed to editing the avi container's
> information.
>
> I'll take the above collective replies as a "no" :)

sorry i did mean to say that as far as I know there is not a per video setting.

And I guess the target audience are possibly not videophiles :)

cheers, nick

killerkiwi2005 at gmail

Re: Per video aspect ratio? [In reply to]

It's Hairy Maclary - and an avi rip at that - hardly videophile
> quality. It actually looks pretty unnoticeable when stretched to 16:9,
> and on balance, is preferable to the side black bars.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm as pixel-perfect-aspect-ratio-correct a kind
> of guy as the next geek on here, but in this instance was wondering
> whether there was a setting, as opposed to editing the avi container's
> information.
>
> I'll take the above collective replies as a "no" :)

Isn't there a new setting in myth for default some thing like fill
horizontal ?

Im pretty sure that zooms in till the whole screen is fill cropping the top
I guess.

The only thing I still have in 4:3 is The Wire

"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calven

duncan.kennington at gmail

Re: Per video aspect ratio? [In reply to]

On 5 May 2012 16:04, Jason Taylor <killerkiwi2005 [at] gmail> wrote:

> It's Hairy Maclary - and an avi rip at that - hardly videophile
>> quality. It actually looks pretty unnoticeable when stretched to 16:9,
>> and on balance, is preferable to the side black bars.
>>
>> Don't get me wrong, I'm as pixel-perfect-aspect-ratio-correct a kind
>> of guy as the next geek on here, but in this instance was wondering
>> whether there was a setting, as opposed to editing the avi container's
>> information.
>>
>> I'll take the above collective replies as a "no" :)
>>

> Isn't there a new setting in myth for default some thing like fill
> horizontal ?
>
> Im pretty sure that zooms in till the whole screen is fill cropping the
> top I guess.
>
> The only thing I still have in 4:3 is The Wire
>
> What about a playback group? I know you can set timestretch and skip
amounts by regular expression on title, perhaps there is an aspect override
in the playback group setup?