Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

EPG Data for 'niche' channels ?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All MythTV mythtvnz RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

sultanoswing at gmail

EPG Data for 'niche' channels ?

OK - so I have my EPG grabber script working well
(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/513747).
Trouble is, the freeview.xml.gz data only covers the 'main'
Freeview|HD channels (1, 2, 3, 4, Maori, U, TV3 Plus 1, C4, Prime,
Parliament, Radio NZ and Basefm).

With so many 'niche' channels starting up (ChoiceTV, TV33, TV9,
CentralTV etc), is there any way of getting their program data in to
Myth? I assume they send EIT data, which would give me at least
short-term program info. I'm on DVB, with no satellite card or aerial.

So: how to set up my backend so the channels without grabber epg data
can still pull some programme info?

dmoo1790 at ihug

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On 29/04/2012, at 5:24 PM, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing [at] gmail> wrote:

> OK - so I have my EPG grabber script working well
> (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/513747).
> Trouble is, the freeview.xml.gz data only covers the 'main'
> Freeview|HD channels (1, 2, 3, 4, Maori, U, TV3 Plus 1, C4, Prime,
> Parliament, Radio NZ and Basefm).
>
> With so many 'niche' channels starting up (ChoiceTV, TV33, TV9,
> CentralTV etc), is there any way of getting their program data in to
> Myth? I assume they send EIT data, which would give me at least
> short-term program info. I'm on DVB, with no satellite card or aerial.
>
> So: how to set up my backend so the channels without grabber epg data
> can still pull some programme info?

stephen_agent at jsw

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 17:24:20 +1200, you wrote:

>OK - so I have my EPG grabber script working well
>(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/513747).
>Trouble is, the freeview.xml.gz data only covers the 'main'
>Freeview|HD channels (1, 2, 3, 4, Maori, U, TV3 Plus 1, C4, Prime,
>Parliament, Radio NZ and Basefm).
>
>With so many 'niche' channels starting up (ChoiceTV, TV33, TV9,
>CentralTV etc), is there any way of getting their program data in to
>Myth? I assume they send EIT data, which would give me at least
>short-term program info. I'm on DVB, with no satellite card or aerial.
>
>So: how to set up my backend so the channels without grabber epg data
>can still pull some programme info?

I have never tried it, but there is now some MHEG5 EPG support, but
not built in yet. All FreeviewHD channels are supposed to have a full
EPG in MHEG5. Look in the archives for this mailing list to find out
how.

steven at openmedia

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On Sun, April 29, 2012 6:38 pm, David Moore wrote:
> On 29/04/2012, at 5:24 PM, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> OK - so I have my EPG grabber script working well
>> (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/513747).
>> Trouble is, the freeview.xml.gz data only covers the 'main'
>> Freeview|HD channels (1, 2, 3, 4, Maori, U, TV3 Plus 1, C4, Prime,
>> Parliament, Radio NZ and Basefm).
>>
>> With so many 'niche' channels starting up (ChoiceTV, TV33, TV9,
>> CentralTV etc), is there any way of getting their program data in to
>> Myth? I assume they send EIT data, which would give me at least
>> short-term program info. I'm on DVB, with no satellite card or aerial.
>>
>> So: how to set up my backend so the channels without grabber epg data
>> can still pull some programme info?

> You could try this: http://mhegepgsnooppy.sourceforge.net/

So who here is using this for the DTT channels?

I've had a play with mhegepgsnooppy and what I really need is a way to
provide a mapping file rather than have it probe the MythTV database. The
box i'd usually be running this on has a tuner card, but isn't running
MythTV.

Steve

steven at openmedia

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On Sun, April 29, 2012 6:38 pm, David Moore wrote:
> On 29/04/2012, at 5:24 PM, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> OK - so I have my EPG grabber script working well
>> (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/513747).
>> Trouble is, the freeview.xml.gz data only covers the 'main'
>> Freeview|HD channels (1, 2, 3, 4, Maori, U, TV3 Plus 1, C4, Prime,
>> Parliament, Radio NZ and Basefm).
>>
>> With so many 'niche' channels starting up (ChoiceTV, TV33, TV9,
>> CentralTV etc), is there any way of getting their program data in to
>> Myth? I assume they send EIT data, which would give me at least
>> short-term program info. I'm on DVB, with no satellite card or aerial.
>>
>> So: how to set up my backend so the channels without grabber epg data
>> can still pull some programme info?

> You could try this: http://mhegepgsnooppy.sourceforge.net/

So who here is using this for the DTT channels?

I've had a play with mhegepgsnooppy and what I really need is a way to
provide a mapping file rather than have it probe the MythTV database. The
box i'd usually be running this on has a tuner card, but isn't running
MythTV.

Steve

acaferacer at gmail

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On 30 April 2012 11:52, Steven Ellis <steven [at] openmedia> wrote:

> On Sun, April 29, 2012 6:38 pm, David Moore wrote:
>> On 29/04/2012, at 5:24 PM, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>>> OK - so I have my EPG grabber script working well
>>> (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/513747).
>>> Trouble is, the freeview.xml.gz data only covers the 'main'
>>> Freeview|HD channels (1, 2, 3, 4, Maori, U, TV3 Plus 1, C4, Prime,
>>> Parliament, Radio NZ and Basefm).
>>>
>>> With so many 'niche' channels starting up (ChoiceTV, TV33, TV9,
>>> CentralTV etc), is there any way of getting their program data in to
>>> Myth? I assume they send EIT data, which would give me at least
>>> short-term program info. I'm on DVB, with no satellite card or aerial.
>>>
>>> So: how to set up my backend so the channels without grabber epg data
>>> can still pull some programme info?

>> You could try this: http://mhegepgsnooppy.sourceforge.net/
>

> So who here is using this for the DTT channels?
>
> I've had a play with mhegepgsnooppy and what I really need is a way to
> provide a mapping file rather than have it probe the MythTV database. The
> box i'd usually be running this on has a tuner card, but isn't running
> MythTV.
>
> Steve

I'm using mhegepgsnooppy. It works great for me with my DVB-T only
freeview system. Seems to get guide data for all the channels I can
receive.
I did have to tweak the channel names that I had to get a good match
all on all channels.

Cheers
Bruce

dmoo1790 at ihug

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On 30/04/2012, at 11:52 AM, "Steven Ellis" <steven [at] openmedia> wrote:

> On Sun, April 29, 2012 6:38 pm, David Moore wrote:
>> On 29/04/2012, at 5:24 PM, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>>> OK - so I have my EPG grabber script working well
>>> (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/513747).
>>> Trouble is, the freeview.xml.gz data only covers the 'main'
>>> Freeview|HD channels (1, 2, 3, 4, Maori, U, TV3 Plus 1, C4, Prime,
>>> Parliament, Radio NZ and Basefm).
>>>
>>> With so many 'niche' channels starting up (ChoiceTV, TV33, TV9,
>>> CentralTV etc), is there any way of getting their program data in to
>>> Myth? I assume they send EIT data, which would give me at least
>>> short-term program info. I'm on DVB, with no satellite card or aerial.
>>>
>>> So: how to set up my backend so the channels without grabber epg data
>>> can still pull some programme info?

>> You could try this: http://mhegepgsnooppy.sourceforge.net/
>

> So who here is using this for the DTT channels?
>
> I've had a play with mhegepgsnooppy and what I really need is a way to
> provide a mapping file rather than have it probe the MythTV database. The
> box i'd usually be running this on has a tuner card, but isn't running
> MythTV.
>
> Steve

> Steven Ellis - Technical Director
> OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
> email - steven [at] openmedia
> website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz

I use it but then I wrote it. :) An option to use an external channel map file is doable. I'll have a think and let you know if/when I can do it.

dmoo1790 at ihug

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On 30/04/12 11:52, Steven Ellis wrote:

> So who here is using this for the DTT channels?
>
> I've had a play with mhegepgsnooppy and what I really need is a way to
> provide a mapping file rather than have it probe the MythTV database. The
> box i'd usually be running this on has a tuner card, but isn't running
> MythTV.
>
> Steve

Just uploaded version 0.3.3 with option to specify a channel map file.
File format is two fields per row, tab separated, with MHEG channel name
first and xmltv channel ID second. Only briefly tested so quite likely
buggy.

steven at openmedia

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On Mon, April 30, 2012 3:45 pm, David Moore wrote:
> On 30/04/12 11:52, Steven Ellis wrote:
>>
>> So who here is using this for the DTT channels?
>>
>> I've had a play with mhegepgsnooppy and what I really need is a way to
>> provide a mapping file rather than have it probe the MythTV database.
>> The
>> box i'd usually be running this on has a tuner card, but isn't running
>> MythTV.
>>
>> Steve
>>
> Just uploaded version 0.3.3 with option to specify a channel map file.
> File format is two fields per row, tab separated, with MHEG channel name
> first and xmltv channel ID second. Only briefly tested so quite likely
> buggy.

Nice work. Provisional testing worked for me.

I generated the mapping file off a channel scan as follows

cat ../dtt/dtt.conf | cut -f 1,13 -d ":" \
| sed "s/:/ /g" | sed "s/$/.dvb.guide/g" > mheg.list

Then once the card was tuned I could run the EPG grabber and get all the
freeview|HD channels.

Steve

nick.rout at gmail

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Steven Ellis <steven [at] openmedia> wrote:

> On Mon, April 30, 2012 3:45 pm, David Moore wrote:
>> On 30/04/12 11:52, Steven Ellis wrote:
>>>
>>> So who here is using this for the DTT channels?
>>>
>>> I've had a play with mhegepgsnooppy and what I really need is a way to
>>> provide a mapping file rather than have it probe the MythTV database.
>>> The
>>> box i'd usually be running this on has a tuner card, but isn't running
>>> MythTV.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>
>> Just uploaded version 0.3.3 with option to specify a channel map file.
>> File format is two fields per row, tab separated, with MHEG channel name
>> first and xmltv channel ID second. Only briefly tested so quite likely
>> buggy.
>>

> Nice work. Provisional testing worked for me.
>
> I generated the mapping file off a channel scan as follows
>
> cat ../dtt/dtt.conf  | cut -f 1,13 -d ":" \
> | sed "s/:/ /g" | sed "s/$/.dvb.guide/g" > mheg.list
>
> Then once the card was tuned I could run the EPG grabber and get all the
> freeview|HD channels.

I guess mhegepgsnoopy does not work for a hdhomerun?

(there is no dvb device to specify)

tortise at paradise

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On 1/05/2012 8:36 p.m., Nick Rout wrote:

>> Nice work. Provisional testing worked for me.
>>
>> I generated the mapping file off a channel scan as follows
>>
>> cat ../dtt/dtt.conf | cut -f 1,13 -d ":" \
>> | sed "s/:/ /g" | sed "s/$/.dvb.guide/g"> mheg.list
>>
>> Then once the card was tuned I could run the EPG grabber and get all the
>> freeview|HD channels.
>
> I guess mhegepgsnoopy does not work for a hdhomerun?
>
> (there is no dvb device to specify)

dvbhdhomerun ??

dmoo1790 at ihug

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On 1/05/2012, at 8:36 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Steven Ellis <steven [at] openmedia> wrote:

>>> Just uploaded version 0.3.3 with option to specify a channel map file.
>>> File format is two fields per row, tab separated, with MHEG channel name
>>> first and xmltv channel ID second. Only briefly tested so quite likely
>>> buggy.
>>>

>> Nice work. Provisional testing worked for me.
>>
>> I generated the mapping file off a channel scan as follows
>>
>> cat ../dtt/dtt.conf | cut -f 1,13 -d ":" \
>> | sed "s/:/ /g" | sed "s/$/.dvb.guide/g" > mheg.list
>>
>> Then once the card was tuned I could run the EPG grabber and get all the
>> freeview|HD channels.
>
> I guess mhegepgsnoopy does not work for a hdhomerun?
>
> (there is no dvb device to specify)

You need to specify a file descriptor that behaves like a DVB demux. Don't know if that's possible over a network with an hdhomerun.

dmoo1790 at ihug

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On 1/05/2012, at 9:16 PM, tortise <tortise [at] paradise> wrote:

> On 1/05/2012 8:36 p.m., Nick Rout wrote:
>
>>> Nice work. Provisional testing worked for me.
>>>
>>> I generated the mapping file off a channel scan as follows
>>>
>>> cat ../dtt/dtt.conf | cut -f 1,13 -d ":" \
>>>
>>> Then once the card was tuned I could run the EPG grabber and get all the
>>> freeview|HD channels.
>>
>> I guess mhegepgsnoopy does not work for a hdhomerun?
>>
>> (there is no dvb device to specify)
>
> dvbhdhomerun ??

I wonder if myth does something similar? Is there something hiding in the /dev tree? Or does myth create a socket? Can it be used (non-blocking)? Just thinking out loud.

tortise at paradise

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On 1/05/2012 10:43 p.m., David Moore wrote:

>>> I guess mhegepgsnoopy does not work for a hdhomerun?
>>>
>>> (there is no dvb device to specify)
>>
>> dvbhdhomerun ??
>>
> I wonder if myth does something similar? Is there something hiding in the /dev tree? Or does myth create a socket? Can it be used (non-blocking)? Just thinking out loud.

I understand the mythtv guys compile in the hdhomerun open source code
with a few tweaks from here and there along the way so that its all in
mythtv. Some people may not be aware of
http://smolt.mythtv.org/static/stats/stats.html

steven at openmedia

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On Mon, April 30, 2012 4:59 pm, Steven Ellis wrote:

> On Mon, April 30, 2012 3:45 pm, David Moore wrote:
>> On 30/04/12 11:52, Steven Ellis wrote:
>>>
>>> So who here is using this for the DTT channels?
>>>
>>> I've had a play with mhegepgsnooppy and what I really need is a way to
>>> provide a mapping file rather than have it probe the MythTV database.
>>> The
>>> box i'd usually be running this on has a tuner card, but isn't running
>>> MythTV.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>
>> Just uploaded version 0.3.3 with option to specify a channel map file.
>> File format is two fields per row, tab separated, with MHEG channel name
>> first and xmltv channel ID second. Only briefly tested so quite likely
>> buggy.
>>

> Nice work. Provisional testing worked for me.
>
> I generated the mapping file off a channel scan as follows
>
> cat ../dtt/dtt.conf | cut -f 1,13 -d ":" \
> | sed "s/:/ /g" | sed "s/$/.dvb.guide/g" > mheg.list
>
> Then once the card was tuned I could run the EPG grabber and get all the
> freeview|HD channels.

OK I still have a minor issue. The generated data doesn't include a GMT
offset for the times and is confusing the data load.

For example

<programme channel="1407.dvb.guide" start="20120512203000"
stop="20120512213000">
<title>32 Brinkburn Street</title>
<desc>32 Brinkburn Street has been home to the Ogilvie
family for generations. Loved by most of its occupants,
the house will always be a home at the heart of the
family.</desc>
<episode-num system="dd_progid">TWBS01_01</episode-num>
<rating system="Freeview">
<value>PGR</value>
</rating>
</programme>

VS

<programme channel="1035.dvb.guide" start="20120511163000 +1200"
stop="20120511165500 +1200">
<title lang="eng">ONE News at 4.30</title>
<desc></desc>
<category>tvshow</category>
<category>News/Current Affairs</category>
<!-- Cat:2-0 -->
<!-- Unknown rating:0 -->
</programme>

Ideally this could be based on the timezone of the host, or could be
another command line option.

Sadly the freeview MHEG data isn't based off UMT.

Steve

dmoo1790 at ihug

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On 09/05/12 18:13, Steven Ellis wrote:

> On Mon, April 30, 2012 4:59 pm, Steven Ellis wrote:

>>> Just uploaded version 0.3.3 with option to specify a channel map file.
>>> File format is two fields per row, tab separated, with MHEG channel name
>>> first and xmltv channel ID second. Only briefly tested so quite likely
>>> buggy.
>>>

>> Nice work. Provisional testing worked for me.
>>
>> I generated the mapping file off a channel scan as follows
>>
>> cat ../dtt/dtt.conf | cut -f 1,13 -d ":" \
>> | sed "s/:/ /g" | sed "s/$/.dvb.guide/g"> mheg.list
>>
>> Then once the card was tuned I could run the EPG grabber and get all the
>> freeview|HD channels.
>
> OK I still have a minor issue. The generated data doesn't include a GMT
> offset for the times and is confusing the data load.
>
> For example
>
> <programme channel="1407.dvb.guide" start="20120512203000"
> stop="20120512213000">
> <title>32 Brinkburn Street</title>
> <desc>32 Brinkburn Street has been home to the Ogilvie
> family for generations. Loved by most of its occupants,
> the house will always be a home at the heart of the
> family.</desc>
> <episode-num system="dd_progid">TWBS01_01</episode-num>
> <rating system="Freeview">
> <value>PGR</value>
> </rating>
> </programme>
>
> VS
>
> <programme channel="1035.dvb.guide" start="20120511163000 +1200"
> stop="20120511165500 +1200">
> <title lang="eng">ONE News at 4.30</title>
> <desc></desc>
> <category>tvshow</category>
> <category>News/Current Affairs</category>
> <!-- Cat:2-0 -->
> <!-- Unknown rating:0 -->
> </programme>
>
> Ideally this could be based on the timezone of the host, or could be
> another command line option.
>
> Sadly the freeview MHEG data isn't based off UMT.
>
> Steve

UMT? Never heard of it until you mentioned it. Gives me the shudders
after a quick read on the web. Can't really see why we need it.

Anyway I guess it wouldn't be too hard to include an option to produce
GMT/UTC times with offsets for NZ timezone.

So instead of
20120512203000
you would get
20120512083000 + 1200.

Is that what you need? Actually I suppose the best thing would be
options for local time, plain UTC and UTC with offset to specified
timezone. Make sense?

hoiho.nz at gmail

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On Wed, 09 May 2012 18:12, Steven Ellis wrote:
> Ideally this could be based on the timezone of the host, or could be
> another command line option.
>
> Sadly the freeview MHEG data isn't based off UMT.

Hi Steve,

The time issues of Freeview do not end with the absence of Timezone offsets.

All programme start times in the EPG from freeview are expressed as wall clock
time in the system that would be applicabe at the start of the programme.

That means that 2 programmes could have started on the same channel at 2:00am
on Sunday 1st April 2012 when the clocks wentback to end NZDT.

I can only guess that the Freeview / MHEG protocols send a clock change
command whenever it is requied on a MyFreeview DVR device..

I have been working on my own version of a MHEG grabber and I have assummed

a) All times in the EPG are wall-clock time (subsequently confirmed by
careful observation).

b) At end of Daylight Savings, programmes that are due to end at a time
between 2:00 and 3:00 then NZDT is used for the start time and NZST is used
for the end time. Potentially this means that a programme is recorded for 60
mins to long but least nothing is lost.

Regards

Tony Sauri

steven at openmedia

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On Wed, May 9, 2012 7:42 pm, David Moore wrote:
> On 09/05/12 18:13, Steven Ellis wrote:

>>> Nice work. Provisional testing worked for me.
>>>
>>> I generated the mapping file off a channel scan as follows
>>>
>>> cat ../dtt/dtt.conf | cut -f 1,13 -d ":" \
>>>
>>> Then once the card was tuned I could run the EPG grabber and get all
>>> the
>>> freeview|HD channels.
>>
>> OK I still have a minor issue. The generated data doesn't include a GMT
>> offset for the times and is confusing the data load.
>>
>> For example
>>
>> <programme channel="1407.dvb.guide" start="20120512203000"
>> stop="20120512213000">
>> <title>32 Brinkburn Street</title>
>> <desc>32 Brinkburn Street has been home to the Ogilvie
>> family for generations. Loved by most of its occupants,
>> the house will always be a home at the heart of the
>> family.</desc>
>> <episode-num system="dd_progid">TWBS01_01</episode-num>
>> <rating system="Freeview">
>> <value>PGR</value>
>> </rating>
>> </programme>
>>
>> VS
>>
>> <programme channel="1035.dvb.guide" start="20120511163000 +1200"
>> stop="20120511165500 +1200">
>> <title lang="eng">ONE News at 4.30</title>
>> <desc></desc>
>> <category>tvshow</category>
>> <category>News/Current Affairs</category>
>> <!-- Cat:2-0 -->
>> <!-- Unknown rating:0 -->
>> </programme>
>>
>> Ideally this could be based on the timezone of the host, or could be
>> another command line option.
>>
>> Sadly the freeview MHEG data isn't based off UMT.
>>
>> Steve
>>

> UMT? Never heard of it until you mentioned it. Gives me the shudders
> after a quick read on the web. Can't really see why we need it.
>
> Anyway I guess it wouldn't be too hard to include an option to produce
> GMT/UTC times with offsets for NZ timezone.
>
> So instead of
> 20120512203000
> you would get
> 20120512083000 + 1200.
>
> Is that what you need? Actually I suppose the best thing would be
> options for local time, plain UTC and UTC with offset to specified
> timezone. Make sense?

Hi David. In your MythTV setup for the freeview source what time zone do
you set for the EPG. In my case I default to using AUTO as I import
multiple EPG feeds for different timezones, for example SBS (now sadly off
air).

When I generate listings with epgsnoop the data contains the +1200 offset
based on my local system vs the DVB data.

In the case of DTT I merge DVB and MHEG data so that my DTT and DTH
channels are being provided with identical EPG information. For the DTT
exclusive channels I just pull them from the MHEG file using tv_split and
tv_cat.

Steve

hads at nice

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On 09/05/12 20:51, Tony Sauri wrote:
> The time issues of Freeview do not end with the absence of Timezone offsets.
>
> All programme start times in the EPG from freeview are expressed as wall clock
> time in the system that would be applicabe at the start of the programme.
>
> That means that 2 programmes could have started on the same channel at 2:00am
> on Sunday 1st April 2012 when the clocks wentback to end NZDT.

Oh the joys of using local timezones. Everything should be UTC.

There's some timezone classes in base.py of epgsnoop that may be of help
for local offset.

hads
--
http://nice.net.nz

jonathan.hoskin at gmail

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On Thursday, 10 May 2012 at 9:23 AM, Hadley Rich wrote:
> Oh the joys of using local timezones. Everything should be UTC.
Yes. And good evening +12.

dmoo1790 at ihug

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On 10/05/12 09:07, Steven Ellis wrote:

> On Wed, May 9, 2012 7:42 pm, David Moore wrote:

>>> OK I still have a minor issue. The generated data doesn't include a GMT
>>> offset for the times and is confusing the data load.
>>>
>>> For example
>>>
>>> <programme channel="1407.dvb.guide" start="20120512203000"
>>> stop="20120512213000">
>>> <title>32 Brinkburn Street</title>
>>> <desc>32 Brinkburn Street has been home to the Ogilvie
>>> family for generations. Loved by most of its occupants,
>>> the house will always be a home at the heart of the
>>> family.</desc>
>>> <episode-num system="dd_progid">TWBS01_01</episode-num>
>>> <rating system="Freeview">
>>> <value>PGR</value>
>>> </rating>
>>> </programme>
>>>
>>> VS
>>>
>>> <programme channel="1035.dvb.guide" start="20120511163000 +1200"
>>> stop="20120511165500 +1200">
>>> <title lang="eng">ONE News at 4.30</title>
>>> <desc></desc>
>>> <category>tvshow</category>
>>> <category>News/Current Affairs</category>
>>> <!-- Cat:2-0 -->
>>> <!-- Unknown rating:0 -->
>>> </programme>
>>>
>>> Ideally this could be based on the timezone of the host, or could be
>>> another command line option.
>>>
>>> Sadly the freeview MHEG data isn't based off UMT.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>

>> UMT? Never heard of it until you mentioned it. Gives me the shudders
>> after a quick read on the web. Can't really see why we need it.
>>
>> Anyway I guess it wouldn't be too hard to include an option to produce
>> GMT/UTC times with offsets for NZ timezone.
>>
>> So instead of
>> 20120512203000
>> you would get
>> 20120512083000 + 1200.
>>
>> Is that what you need? Actually I suppose the best thing would be
>> options for local time, plain UTC and UTC with offset to specified
>> timezone. Make sense?
>

> Hi David. In your MythTV setup for the freeview source what time zone do
> you set for the EPG. In my case I default to using AUTO as I import
> multiple EPG feeds for different timezones, for example SBS (now sadly off
> air).
>
> When I generate listings with epgsnoop the data contains the +1200 offset
> based on my local system vs the DVB data.
>
> In the case of DTT I merge DVB and MHEG data so that my DTT and DTH
> channels are being provided with identical EPG information. For the DTT
> exclusive channels I just pull them from the MHEG file using tv_split and
> tv_cat.
>
> Steve

Hi Steve. My setting is "none" for the EPG timezone. I only have DVB-T
so it works fine with the MHEG EPG local times. I'll probably do a quick
fix just for you :) that gives you the option to generate UTC +1200 (or
+1300 for DST). Then I'll think about a more general solution. /David

sultanoswing at gmail

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On 10 May 2012 15:14, David Moore <dmoo1790 [at] ihug> wrote:

> On 10/05/12 09:07, Steven Ellis wrote:

>>> UMT? Never heard of it until you mentioned it. Gives me the shudders
>>> after a quick read on the web. Can't really see why we need it.
>>>
>>> Anyway I guess it wouldn't be too hard to include an option to produce
>>> GMT/UTC times with offsets for NZ timezone.
>>>
>>> So instead of
>>> 20120512203000
>>> you would get
>>> 20120512083000 + 1200.
>>>
>>> Is that what you need? Actually I suppose the best thing would be
>>> options for local time, plain UTC and UTC with offset to specified
>>> timezone. Make sense?
>>

>> Hi David. In your MythTV setup for the freeview source what time zone do
>> you set for the EPG. In my case I default to using AUTO as I import
>> multiple EPG feeds for different timezones, for example SBS (now sadly
>> off
>> air).
>>
>> When I generate listings with epgsnoop the data contains the +1200 offset
>> based on my local system vs the DVB data.
>>
>> In the case of DTT I merge DVB and MHEG data so that my DTT and DTH
>> channels are being provided with identical EPG information. For the DTT
>> exclusive channels I just pull them from the MHEG file using tv_split and
>> tv_cat.
>>
>> Steve
>>
> Hi Steve. My setting is "none" for the EPG timezone. I only have DVB-T so
> it works fine with the MHEG EPG local times. I'll probably do a quick fix
> just for you :) that gives you the option to generate UTC +1200 (or +1300
> for DST). Then I'll think about a more general solution. /David

The attention this thread is getting from you script-guys is great! I
look forward to trialing your efforts when they are available and I
have some spare time to tinker. Cheers!

steven at openmedia

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On Thu, May 10, 2012 3:14 pm, David Moore wrote:
> On 10/05/12 09:07, Steven Ellis wrote:
>>
>> Hi David. In your MythTV setup for the freeview source what time zone do
>> you set for the EPG. In my case I default to using AUTO as I import
>> multiple EPG feeds for different timezones, for example SBS (now sadly
>> off
>> air).
>>
>> When I generate listings with epgsnoop the data contains the +1200
>> offset
>> based on my local system vs the DVB data.
>>
>> In the case of DTT I merge DVB and MHEG data so that my DTT and DTH
>> channels are being provided with identical EPG information. For the DTT
>> exclusive channels I just pull them from the MHEG file using tv_split
>> and
>> tv_cat.
>>
>> Steve
>>
> Hi Steve. My setting is "none" for the EPG timezone. I only have DVB-T
> so it works fine with the MHEG EPG local times. I'll probably do a quick
> fix just for you :) that gives you the option to generate UTC +1200 (or
> +1300 for DST). Then I'll think about a more general solution. /David

Dave. That would be brilliant. Cheers

dmoo1790 at ihug

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On 10/05/12 17:18, Steven Ellis wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2012 3:14 pm, David Moore wrote:
>> On 10/05/12 09:07, Steven Ellis wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi David. In your MythTV setup for the freeview source what time zone do
>>> you set for the EPG. In my case I default to using AUTO as I import
>>> multiple EPG feeds for different timezones, for example SBS (now sadly
>>> off
>>> air).
>>>
>>> When I generate listings with epgsnoop the data contains the +1200
>>> offset
>>> based on my local system vs the DVB data.
>>>
>>> In the case of DTT I merge DVB and MHEG data so that my DTT and DTH
>>> channels are being provided with identical EPG information. For the DTT
>>> exclusive channels I just pull them from the MHEG file using tv_split
>>> and
>>> tv_cat.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>
>> Hi Steve. My setting is "none" for the EPG timezone. I only have DVB-T
>> so it works fine with the MHEG EPG local times. I'll probably do a quick
>> fix just for you :) that gives you the option to generate UTC +1200 (or
>> +1300 for DST). Then I'll think about a more general solution. /David
>>

> Dave. That would be brilliant. Cheers
> Steven Ellis - Technical Director
> OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
> email - steven [at] openmedia
> website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz

Version 0.3.4 just uploaded. Turned out to be not so simple because (a)
I decided to try and do it right rather than quick and dirty and (b)
surprisingly Python doesn't do time zones very well. Anyway I think it
works. Just add "-z" command line arg. Enjoy.

nick.rout at gmail

Re: EPG Data for 'niche' channels ? [In reply to]

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 6:26 PM, David Moore <dmoo1790 [at] ihug> wrote:
> On 10/05/12 17:18, Steven Ellis wrote:

>>> Hi Steve. My setting is "none" for the EPG timezone. I only have DVB-T
>>> so it works fine with the MHEG EPG local times. I'll probably do a quick
>>> fix just for you :) that gives you the option to generate UTC +1200 (or
>>> +1300 for DST). Then I'll think about a more general solution. /David
>>>

>> Dave. That would be brilliant. Cheers
>

> Version 0.3.4 just uploaded. Turned out to be not so simple because (a) I
> decided to try and do it right rather than quick and dirty and (b)
> surprisingly Python doesn't do time zones very well. Anyway I think it
> works. Just add "-z" command line arg. Enjoy.

Just pointing out that accroding to the mythtv DTD the prescription
for date/time formats is:

All dates and times in this DTD follow the same format, loosely based
on ISO 8601. They can be 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss' or some initial
substring, for example if you only know the year and month you can
have 'YYYYMM'. You can also append a timezone to the end; if no
explicit timezone is given, UTC is assumed. Examples:
'200007281733 BST', '200209', '19880523083000 +0300'. (BST == +0100.)

http://xmltv.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xmltv/xmltv/xmltv.dtd

I haven't followed this thread properly, but the impression I got was
that one of the scripts was not adding a timezone string to the
date/time string, but I was unclear to me whether that script was
creating UTC or localtime.