Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz
Re: Backend fails to start

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

stephen_agent at jsw

Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 18:59:54 +1200, you wrote:

>>> A suggestion on my forum thread has fixed the problem:
>>>
>>> In mythtv-backend.conf ,change IFACE!=lo to IFACE=lo
>>>
>>> i.e.
>>>
>>> start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=lo and started
>>> udev-finish)
>>> stop on runlevel [016]
>>>
>>> I changed this in my original mythtv-backend.conf the new
>>> mythtv-backend.conf
>>> in the Upstart wiki were not required.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> That should mean that your MythTV box does not have a network
>> connection (no ethernet or WiFi) - is that correct?
>>
>No ,I use a cable ethernet connection to grab EPG data as needed
>This is still working.
>
>Here is the post from the forum user that cma up with the fix:
>
>"Had (this?) problem on a combined FE/BE system, ? if wireless network not
>available, unable to connect to backend.
>
> changing
>
> IFACE!=lo

> IFACE=lo
>
> sorted this out for me.
>
> Not sure why this is set up as it is, I will need to investigate further
>when I get the chance."

That makes sense. Until the WiFi is up, you have no network
interfaces up, and upstart will wait. With the IFACE=lo setting, it
only waits for the localhost interface to be up, which normally
happens rapidly. Your FE and BE will be set to use the localhost
interface to talk to each other (which is the default).

The change to IFACE!=lo would have been made in response to the
problems people like me have. My BE is set to use my ethernet address
to talk on, so that other FEs can use the BE across my network. So
for me, I need the IFACE!=lo (or in fact IFACE=br0), otherwise my BE
starts up before the interface it needs is available. I have been
making that change manually with each version of MythTV until now. It
looks as though the change was made without enough thought and
certainly without enough testing, as it clearly will not work for
those like you who only have a WiFi connection and do not always have
it connect automatically at startup.