Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Backend fails to start

 

 

MythTV mythtvnz RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


paulgir at gmail

Apr 16, 2012, 12:45 AM

Post #1 of 21 (3743 views)
Permalink
Backend fails to start

Since upgrading to 0.25 I have discovered that when the system boots I get
a OSD message saying the FE
can't connect to the BE and asking if the BE is running.
I turn the system off each evening and it is a combined FE/BE setup.

I can start the BE by going into BE setup and back out where it asks if I
want to start the BE.
The I start the FE and all is ok.
The funny thing is I used to get the same message prior to upgrading but
it didn't actually stop myth from
working correctly.Now it does.
I saw a post from someone experiencing the same problem but I can't find
it again.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Paul


_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


mythicalbeast at slingshot

Apr 16, 2012, 2:39 AM

Post #2 of 21 (3670 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 19:45 +1200, Paulgir wrote:
> Since upgrading to 0.25 I have discovered that when the system boots I get
> a OSD message saying the FE
> can't connect to the BE and asking if the BE is running.
> I turn the system off each evening and it is a combined FE/BE setup.
>
> I can start the BE by going into BE setup and back out where it asks if I
> want to start the BE.
> The I start the FE and all is ok.
> The funny thing is I used to get the same message prior to upgrading but
> it didn't actually stop myth from
> working correctly.Now it does.
> I saw a post from someone experiencing the same problem but I can't find
> it again.
>
I used a modified upstart job from mythtv site to get 0.25 backend to
behave..
The existing 0.24 setup (on lucid 10.04) did not work for 0.25.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Upstart_mythbackend_Configuration

note the specific 0.24 & 0.25 stuff.
note the exe path needs to be changed if compiled/installed
in /usr/local/bin.

Brett



_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


stephen_agent at jsw

Apr 16, 2012, 8:40 AM

Post #3 of 21 (3656 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 19:45:21 +1200, you wrote:

>
>Since upgrading to 0.25 I have discovered that when the system boots I get
>a OSD message saying the FE
>can't connect to the BE and asking if the BE is running.
>I turn the system off each evening and it is a combined FE/BE setup.
>
>I can start the BE by going into BE setup and back out where it asks if I
>want to start the BE.
>The I start the FE and all is ok.
>The funny thing is I used to get the same message prior to upgrading but
>it didn't actually stop myth from
>working correctly.Now it does.
>I saw a post from someone experiencing the same problem but I can't find
>it again.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Cheers
>Paul

There are two versions of FE not connecting to BE that I have met. The
first is temporary - the BE is busy starting up and has not got to the
point where it can respond yet when the FE tries. Getting the FE to
retry will succeed eventually - just go back out of the page where it
needs to connect to the BE and then back in again until it works. This
happens as your database grows when you have many recordings and
recording rules - the BE takes longer and longer to start.

The second is where there is a delay in the networking starting up and
the BE is started before there is a network for it to use. I am not
sure if it retries, but it can simply stop again. I can get this when
I have bridging configured in my networking to run OpenVPN, which
makes the networking take ages to start up. But I thought that was
fixed in 0.25 as the "start on" line in /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf
has been changed to add something like "net-device-up IFACE!=lo". This
is only a problem if you have the BE configured to run on other than
127.0.0.1, for remote FEs to use.

BTW In Mythbuntu, to start and stop the BE, use these commands:

sudo start mythtv-backend
sudo stop mythtv-backend

and this to see what MythTV tasks are running:

ps -A | grep myth

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


paulgir at gmail

Apr 16, 2012, 12:57 PM

Post #4 of 21 (3656 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 21:39:38 +1200, Brett <mythicalbeast [at] slingshot>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 19:45 +1200, Paulgir wrote:
>> Since upgrading to 0.25 I have discovered that when the system boots I
>> get
>> a OSD message saying the FE
>> can't connect to the BE and asking if the BE is running.
>> I turn the system off each evening and it is a combined FE/BE setup.
>>
>> I can start the BE by going into BE setup and back out where it asks if
>> I
>> want to start the BE.
>> The I start the FE and all is ok.
>> The funny thing is I used to get the same message prior to upgrading but
>> it didn't actually stop myth from
>> working correctly.Now it does.
>> I saw a post from someone experiencing the same problem but I can't find
>> it again.
>>
> I used a modified upstart job from mythtv site to get 0.25 backend to
> behave..
> The existing 0.24 setup (on lucid 10.04) did not work for 0.25.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Upstart_mythbackend_Configuration
>
> note the specific 0.24 & 0.25 stuff.
> note the exe path needs to be changed if compiled/installed
> in /usr/local/bin.
>
> Brett
>
Thanks for the information.Unfortunately this is beyond my skills to know
exactly what
to do with it.
Here are the contents of my mythtv-backend.conf :

# MythTV Backend service

description "MythTV Backend"
author "Mario Limonciello <superm1 [at] ubuntu>"

start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE!=lo and started
udev-finish)
stop on runlevel [016]

#expect fork
respawn
respawn limit 2 3600

pre-start script
[ -x /usr/sbin/mysqld ] || exit 0
for i in `seq 1 30` ; do
/usr/bin/mysqladmin --defaults-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf ping &&
exit 0
sleep .5
done
end script

script
test -f /etc/default/locale && . /etc/default/locale || true
LANG=$LANG /usr/bin/mythbackend --syslog local7 --user mythtv
end script





Do I use the entire text from the page you linked to,or do I need to add
some thing to mine.

Cheers

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


nick.rout at gmail

Apr 16, 2012, 1:51 PM

Post #5 of 21 (3659 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 21:39:38 +1200, Brett <mythicalbeast [at] slingshot>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 19:45 +1200, Paulgir wrote:
>>>
>>> Since upgrading to 0.25 I have discovered that when the system boots I
>>> get
>>> a OSD message saying the FE
>>> can't connect to the BE and asking if the BE is running.
>>> I turn the system off each evening and it is a combined FE/BE setup.
>>>
>>> I can start the BE by going into BE setup and back out where it asks if I
>>> want to start the BE.
>>> The I start the FE and all is ok.
>>> The funny thing is I used to get the same message prior to upgrading but
>>> it didn't actually stop myth from
>>> working correctly.Now it does.
>>> I saw a post from someone experiencing the same problem but I can't find
>>> it again.
>>>
>> I used a modified upstart job from mythtv site to get 0.25 backend to
>> behave..
>> The existing 0.24 setup (on lucid 10.04) did not work for 0.25.
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Upstart_mythbackend_Configuration
>>
>> note the specific 0.24 & 0.25 stuff.
>> note the exe path needs to be changed if compiled/installed
>> in /usr/local/bin.
>>
>> Brett
>>
> Thanks for the information.Unfortunately this is beyond my skills to know
> exactly what
> to do with it.
> Here are the contents of my mythtv-backend.conf :
>
> # MythTV Backend service
>
> description "MythTV Backend"
> author "Mario Limonciello <superm1 [at] ubuntu>"
>
> start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE!=lo and started
> udev-finish)
> stop on runlevel [016]
>
> #expect fork
> respawn
> respawn limit 2 3600
>
> pre-start script
> [ -x /usr/sbin/mysqld ] || exit 0
> for i in `seq 1 30` ; do
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin --defaults-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf ping && exit
> 0
> sleep .5
> done
> end script
>
> script
> test -f /etc/default/locale && . /etc/default/locale || true
> LANG=$LANG /usr/bin/mythbackend --syslog local7 --user mythtv
> end script
>
>
>
>
>
> Do I use the entire text from the page you linked to,or do I need to add
> some thing to mine.
>
> Cheers

First see what is running on boot. Is mythbackend runnig at all?

You have the commands, use them.

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


paulgir at gmail

Apr 16, 2012, 2:01 PM

Post #6 of 21 (3657 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

>
> First see what is running on boot. Is mythbackend runnig at all?
>
> You have the commands, use them.




ps -A | grep myth Gives no output

sudo stop myth-backend gives stop:unknown instance

sudo stop myth-backend starts the backend.

So I assume the backend is not running after boot.

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


nick.rout at gmail

Apr 16, 2012, 2:32 PM

Post #7 of 21 (3650 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>>
>> First see what is running on boot. Is mythbackend runnig at all?
>>
>> You have the commands, use them.
>
>
>
>
>
> ps -A | grep myth Gives no output
>
> sudo stop myth-backend gives stop:unknown instance
>
> sudo stop myth-backend starts the backend.
>
> So I assume the backend is not running after boot.

And what does the mythbackend log file say about why it failed to start?

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


paulgir at gmail

Apr 16, 2012, 2:58 PM

Post #8 of 21 (3684 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 09:32:21 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> First see what is running on boot. Is mythbackend runnig at all?
>>>
>>> You have the commands, use them.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ps -A | grep myth Gives no output
>>
>> sudo stop myth-backend gives stop:unknown instance
>>
>> sudo stop myth-backend starts the backend.
>>
>> So I assume the backend is not running after boot.
>
> And what does the mythbackend log file say about why it failed to start?
>
This is the latest content of mythbackend.log I wouldn't know what's
normal anyway.
I rebooted at 09:45 the times don't seem to correlate:

Apr 17 02:11:32 myth mythbackend[1802]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1362 (HandleAnnounce) adding: myth as a client (events: 1)
Apr 17 02:11:36 myth mythbackend[1802]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1360 (HandleAnnounce) MainServer::ANN Monitor
Apr 17 02:11:36 myth mythbackend[1802]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1362 (HandleAnnounce) adding: myth as a client (events: 0)
Apr 17 02:11:36 myth mythbackend[1802]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1360 (HandleAnnounce) MainServer::ANN Monitor
Apr 17 02:11:36 myth mythbackend[1802]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1362 (HandleAnnounce) adding: myth as a client (events: 1)
Apr 17 07:42:36 myth mythbackend[2187]: C thread_unknown
mythcommandlineparser.cpp:2534 (ConfigureLogging) mythbackend version:
fixes/0.25 [v0.25-9-gefada3f] www.mythtv.org
Apr 17 07:42:36 myth mythbackend[2187]: N thread_unknown
mythcommandlineparser.cpp:2536 (ConfigureLogging) Enabled verbose msgs:
general
Apr 17 07:42:36 myth mythbackend[2187]: N thread_unknown logging.cpp:1176
(logStart) Setting Log Level to LOG_INFO
Apr 17 07:42:36 myth mythbackend[2187]: I thread_unknown logging.cpp:229
(FileLogger) Added logging to the console
Apr 17 07:42:36 myth mythbackend[2187]: I thread_unknown logging.cpp:369
(SyslogLogger) Added syslogging to facility local7
Apr 17 07:42:36 myth mythbackend[2187]: I thread_unknown logging.cpp:425
(DatabaseLogger) Added database logging to table logging
Apr 17 07:42:36 myth mythbackend[2187]: N thread_unknown logging.cpp:1215
(logStart) Setting up SIGHUP handler
Apr 17 07:42:36 myth mythbackend[2187]: N thread_unknown mythdirs.cpp:51
(InitializeMythDirs) Using runtime prefix = /usr
Apr 17 07:42:36 myth mythbackend[2187]: N thread_unknown mythdirs.cpp:64
(InitializeMythDirs) Using configuration directory = /home/mythtv/.mythtv
Apr 17 07:42:36 myth mythbackend[2187]: I CoreContext
mythcorecontext.cpp:227 (Init) Assumed character encoding: en_NZ.UTF-8
Apr 17 07:42:36 myth mythbackend[2187]: N CoreContext mythcontext.cpp:477
(LoadDatabaseSettings) Empty LocalHostName.
Apr 17 07:42:36 myth mythbackend[2187]: I CoreContext mythcontext.cpp:481
(LoadDatabaseSettings) Using localhost value of myth
Apr 17 07:42:36 myth mythbackend[2187]: N CoreContext
mythcorecontext.cpp:1270 (InitLocale) Setting QT default locale to en_NZ
Apr 17 07:42:36 myth mythbackend[2187]: I CoreContext
mythcorecontext.cpp:1303 (SaveLocaleDefaults) Current locale en_NZ
Apr 17 07:42:36 myth mythbackend[2187]: E CoreContext mythlocale.cpp:108
(LoadDefaultsFromXML) No locale defaults file for en_NZ, skipping
Apr 17 07:42:36 myth mythbackend[2187]: I CoreContext schemawizard.cpp:117
(Compare) Current MythTV Schema Version (DBSchemaVer): 1299
Apr 17 07:42:36 myth mythbackend[2187]: I CoreContext
mythtranslation.cpp:66 (load) Loading en_gb translation for module
mythfrontend
Apr 17 07:42:36 myth mythbackend[2187]: N CoreContext main_helpers.cpp:556
(run_backend) MythBackend: Starting up as the master server.
Apr 17 07:42:39 myth mythbackend[2187]: I CoreContext programinfo.cpp:2052
(CheckProgramIDAuthorities) Found 2 distinct programid authorities
Apr 17 07:42:39 myth mythbackend[2187]: I Scheduler mythdbcon.cpp:422
(getStaticCon) New static DB connectionSchedCon
Apr 17 07:42:39 myth mythbackend[2187]: I CoreContext serverpool.cpp:306
(listen) Listening on TCP 127.0.0.1:6544
Apr 17 07:42:39 myth mythbackend[2187]: I CoreContext serverpool.cpp:306
(listen) Listening on TCP [0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1]:6544
Apr 17 07:42:39 myth mythbackend[2187]: N CoreContext mediaserver.cpp:169
(Init) MediaServer:: Loopback address specified - 127.0.0.1. Disabling UPnP
Apr 17 07:42:39 myth mythbackend[2187]: I CoreContext main_helpers.cpp:626
(run_backend) Main::Registering HttpStatus Extension
Apr 17 07:42:39 myth mythbackend[2187]: I CoreContext serverpool.cpp:306
(listen) Listening on TCP 127.0.0.1:6543
Apr 17 07:42:39 myth mythbackend[2187]: I CoreContext serverpool.cpp:306
(listen) Listening on TCP [0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1]:6543
Apr 17 07:42:39 myth mythbackend[2187]: N CoreContext autoexpire.cpp:263
(CalcParams) AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max required Free Space: 1.0 GB
w/freq: 15 min
Apr 17 07:42:42 myth mythbackend[2187]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2010
(HandleReschedule) Reschedule requested for id -1.
Apr 17 07:42:42 myth mythbackend[2187]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2068
(HandleReschedule) Scheduled 2 items in 0.1 = 0.01 match + 0.13 place
Apr 17 07:42:42 myth mythbackend[2187]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2135
(HandleRunSchedulerStartup) Scheduler: Seem to be woken up by USER
Apr 17 07:42:49 myth mythbackend[2187]: I HouseKeeping housekeeper.cpp:225
(RunHouseKeeping) Running housekeeping thread
Apr 17 07:42:49 myth mythbackend[2187]: I HouseKeeping housekeeper.cpp:299
(RunHouseKeeping) Running mythfilldatabase
Apr 17 07:42:49 myth mythbackend[2187]: I SystemIOHandlerW
system-unix.cpp:90 (run) Starting IO manager (write)
Apr 17 07:42:49 myth mythbackend[2187]: I SystemIOHandlerR
system-unix.cpp:90 (run) Starting IO manager (read)
Apr 17 07:42:49 myth mythbackend[2187]: I SystemSignalManager
system-unix.cpp:485 (run) Starting process signal handler
Apr 17 07:42:49 myth mythbackend[2187]: I SystemManager
system-unix.cpp:263 (run) Starting process manager
Apr 17 07:42:52 myth mythbackend[2187]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1360 (HandleAnnounce) MainServer::ANN Monitor
Apr 17 07:42:52 myth mythbackend[2187]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1362 (HandleAnnounce) adding: myth as a client (events: 0)
Apr 17 07:42:52 myth mythbackend[2187]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1360 (HandleAnnounce) MainServer::ANN Monitor
Apr 17 07:42:52 myth mythbackend[2187]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1362 (HandleAnnounce) adding: myth as a client (events: 1)
Apr 17 07:42:52 myth mythbackend[2187]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2010
(HandleReschedule) Reschedule requested for id -1.
Apr 17 07:42:52 myth mythbackend[2187]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2068
(HandleReschedule) Scheduled 2 items in 0.1 = 0.01 match + 0.10 place
Apr 17 07:43:21 myth mythbackend[2187]: N CoreContext main_helpers.cpp:664
(run_backend) MythBackend exiting
Apr 17 07:43:21 myth mythbackend[2187]: E CoreContext
mmulticastsocketdevice.cpp:62 (MMulticastSocketDevice)
MMulticastSocketDevice(239.255.255.250:25): setsockopt - IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP
#012#011#011#011eno: No such device (19)
Apr 17 07:43:21 myth mythbackend[2187]: I CoreContext mythcontext.cpp:1115
(~MythContext) Waiting for threads to exit.

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


paulgir at gmail

Apr 16, 2012, 11:10 PM

Post #9 of 21 (3711 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 09:32:21 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> First see what is running on boot. Is mythbackend runnig at all?
>>>
>>> You have the commands, use them.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ps -A | grep myth Gives no output
>>
>> sudo stop myth-backend gives stop:unknown instance
>>
>> sudo stop myth-backend starts the backend.
>>
>> So I assume the backend is not running after boot.
>
> And what does the mythbackend log file say about why it failed to start?
>

Here's more from mythbackend.log after another reboot.

BTW "You have the commands, use them." is not helpful.we are not all
experts.

Apr 17 17:24:24 myth mythbackend[1822]: N thread_unknown
mythcommandlineparser.cpp:2536 (ConfigureLogging) Enabled verbose msgs:
general
Apr 17 17:24:24 myth mythbackend[1822]: N thread_unknown logging.cpp:1176
(logStart) Setting Log Level to LOG_INFO
Apr 17 17:24:24 myth mythbackend[1822]: I thread_unknown logging.cpp:229
(FileLogger) Added logging to the console
Apr 17 17:24:24 myth mythbackend[1822]: I thread_unknown logging.cpp:369
(SyslogLogger) Added syslogging to facility local7
Apr 17 17:24:24 myth mythbackend[1822]: I thread_unknown logging.cpp:425
(DatabaseLogger) Added database logging to table logging
Apr 17 17:24:24 myth mythbackend[1822]: N thread_unknown logging.cpp:1215
(logStart) Setting up SIGHUP handler
Apr 17 17:24:24 myth mythbackend[1822]: N thread_unknown mythdirs.cpp:51
(InitializeMythDirs) Using runtime prefix = /usr
Apr 17 17:24:24 myth mythbackend[1822]: N thread_unknown mythdirs.cpp:64
(InitializeMythDirs) Using configuration directory = /home/mythtv/.mythtv
Apr 17 17:24:24 myth mythbackend[1822]: I CoreContext
mythcorecontext.cpp:227 (Init) Assumed character encoding: en_NZ.UTF-8
Apr 17 17:24:24 myth mythbackend[1822]: N CoreContext mythcontext.cpp:477
(LoadDatabaseSettings) Empty LocalHostName.
Apr 17 17:24:24 myth mythbackend[1822]: I CoreContext mythcontext.cpp:481
(LoadDatabaseSettings) Using localhost value of myth
Apr 17 17:24:24 myth mythbackend[1822]: N CoreContext
mythcorecontext.cpp:1270 (InitLocale) Setting QT default locale to en_NZ
Apr 17 17:24:24 myth mythbackend[1822]: I CoreContext
mythcorecontext.cpp:1303 (SaveLocaleDefaults) Current locale en_NZ
Apr 17 17:24:24 myth mythbackend[1822]: E CoreContext mythlocale.cpp:108
(LoadDefaultsFromXML) No locale defaults file for en_NZ, skipping
Apr 17 17:24:24 myth mythbackend[1822]: I CoreContext schemawizard.cpp:117
(Compare) Current MythTV Schema Version (DBSchemaVer): 1299
Apr 17 17:24:24 myth mythbackend[1822]: I CoreContext
mythtranslation.cpp:66 (load) Loading en_gb translation for module
mythfrontend
Apr 17 17:24:24 myth mythbackend[1822]: N CoreContext main_helpers.cpp:556
(run_backend) MythBackend: Starting up as the master server.
Apr 17 17:24:28 myth mythbackend[1822]: I CoreContext programinfo.cpp:2052
(CheckProgramIDAuthorities) Found 2 distinct programid authorities
Apr 17 17:24:28 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler mythdbcon.cpp:422
(getStaticCon) New static DB connectionSchedCon
Apr 17 17:24:28 myth mythbackend[1822]: I CoreContext serverpool.cpp:306
(listen) Listening on TCP 127.0.0.1:6544
Apr 17 17:24:28 myth mythbackend[1822]: I CoreContext serverpool.cpp:306
(listen) Listening on TCP [0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1]:6544
Apr 17 17:24:28 myth mythbackend[1822]: N CoreContext mediaserver.cpp:169
(Init) MediaServer:: Loopback address specified - 127.0.0.1. Disabling UPnP
Apr 17 17:24:28 myth mythbackend[1822]: I CoreContext main_helpers.cpp:626
(run_backend) Main::Registering HttpStatus Extension
Apr 17 17:24:28 myth mythbackend[1822]: I CoreContext serverpool.cpp:306
(listen) Listening on TCP 127.0.0.1:6543
Apr 17 17:24:28 myth mythbackend[1822]: I CoreContext serverpool.cpp:306
(listen) Listening on TCP [0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1]:6543
Apr 17 17:24:28 myth mythbackend[1822]: N CoreContext autoexpire.cpp:263
(CalcParams) AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max required Free Space: 1.0 GB
w/freq: 15 min
Apr 17 17:24:31 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2010
(HandleReschedule) Reschedule requested for id -1.
Apr 17 17:24:31 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2068
(HandleReschedule) Scheduled 2 items in 0.2 = 0.06 match + 0.19 place
Apr 17 17:24:31 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2135
(HandleRunSchedulerStartup) Scheduler: Seem to be woken up by USER
Apr 17 17:24:37 myth mythbackend[1822]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1360 (HandleAnnounce) MainServer::ANN Monitor
Apr 17 17:24:37 myth mythbackend[1822]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1362 (HandleAnnounce) adding: myth as a client (events: 0)
Apr 17 17:24:37 myth mythbackend[1822]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1360 (HandleAnnounce) MainServer::ANN Monitor
Apr 17 17:24:37 myth mythbackend[1822]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1362 (HandleAnnounce) adding: myth as a client (events: 1)
Apr 17 17:24:38 myth mythbackend[1822]: I HouseKeeping housekeeper.cpp:225
(RunHouseKeeping) Running housekeeping thread
Apr 17 17:25:47 myth mythbackend[1822]: N Expire autoexpire.cpp:263
(CalcParams) AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max required Free Space: 1.0 GB
w/freq: 15 min
Apr 17 17:28:31 myth mythbackend[1822]: I SystemIOHandlerW
system-unix.cpp:90 (run) Starting IO manager (write)
Apr 17 17:28:31 myth mythbackend[1822]: I SystemIOHandlerR
system-unix.cpp:90 (run) Starting IO manager (read)
Apr 17 17:28:31 myth mythbackend[1822]: I SystemSignalManager
system-unix.cpp:485 (run) Starting process signal handler
Apr 17 17:28:31 myth mythbackend[1822]: I SystemManager
system-unix.cpp:263 (run) Starting process manager
Apr 17 17:28:31 myth mythbackend[1822]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1360 (HandleAnnounce) MainServer::ANN Monitor
Apr 17 17:28:31 myth mythbackend[1822]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1362 (HandleAnnounce) adding: myth as a client (events: 0)
Apr 17 17:28:31 myth mythbackend[1822]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1360 (HandleAnnounce) MainServer::ANN Monitor
Apr 17 17:28:31 myth mythbackend[1822]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1362 (HandleAnnounce) adding: myth as a client (events: 1)
Apr 17 17:28:44 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2010
(HandleReschedule) Reschedule requested for id 778.
Apr 17 17:28:44 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2068
(HandleReschedule) Scheduled 3 items in 0.1 = 0.01 match + 0.12 place
Apr 17 17:28:46 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2010
(HandleReschedule) Reschedule requested for id 779.
Apr 17 17:28:46 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2068
(HandleReschedule) Scheduled 4 items in 0.1 = 0.01 match + 0.13 place
Apr 17 17:28:53 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2010
(HandleReschedule) Reschedule requested for id 780.
Apr 17 17:28:53 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2068
(HandleReschedule) Scheduled 5 items in 0.1 = 0.01 match + 0.11 place
Apr 17 17:29:02 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2010
(HandleReschedule) Reschedule requested for id 781.
Apr 17 17:29:02 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2068
(HandleReschedule) Scheduled 6 items in 0.1 = 0.00 match + 0.09 place
Apr 17 17:29:08 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2010
(HandleReschedule) Reschedule requested for id 782.
Apr 17 17:29:08 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2068
(HandleReschedule) Scheduled 7 items in 0.1 = 0.00 match + 0.11 place
Apr 17 17:29:14 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2010
(HandleReschedule) Reschedule requested for id 783.
Apr 17 17:29:15 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2068
(HandleReschedule) Scheduled 8 items in 0.1 = 0.00 match + 0.12 place
Apr 17 17:29:17 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2010
(HandleReschedule) Reschedule requested for id 784.
Apr 17 17:29:17 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2068
(HandleReschedule) Scheduled 9 items in 0.1 = 0.00 match + 0.11 place
Apr 17 17:29:26 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2010
(HandleReschedule) Reschedule requested for id 785.
Apr 17 17:29:26 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2068
(HandleReschedule) Scheduled 10 items in 0.1 = 0.01 match + 0.09 place
Apr 17 17:29:33 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2010
(HandleReschedule) Reschedule requested for id 786.
Apr 17 17:29:33 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2068
(HandleReschedule) Scheduled 11 items in 0.1 = 0.00 match + 0.09 place
Apr 17 17:29:38 myth mythbackend[1822]: I HouseKeeping housekeeper.cpp:225
(RunHouseKeeping) Running housekeeping thread
Apr 17 17:29:40 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2010
(HandleReschedule) Reschedule requested for id 787.
Apr 17 17:29:40 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2068
(HandleReschedule) Scheduled 12 items in 0.1 = 0.00 match + 0.09 place
Apr 17 17:29:41 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2010
(HandleReschedule) Reschedule requested for id 788.
Apr 17 17:29:41 myth mythbackend[1822]: I Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2068
(HandleReschedule) Scheduled 13 items in 0.1 = 0.00 match + 0.14 place
Apr 17 17:29:57 myth mythbackend[1822]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1360 (HandleAnnounce) MainServer::ANN Monitor
Apr 17 17:29:57 myth mythbackend[1822]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1362 (HandleAnnounce) adding: myth as a client (events: 0)
Apr 17 17:29:57 myth mythbackend[1822]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1360 (HandleAnnounce) MainServer::ANN Monitor

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


paulgir at gmail

Apr 16, 2012, 11:36 PM

Post #10 of 21 (3658 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 18:10:20 +1200, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 09:32:21 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> First see what is running on boot. Is mythbackend runnig at all?
>>>>
>>>> You have the commands, use them.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ps -A | grep myth Gives no output
>>>
>>> sudo stop myth-backend gives stop:unknown instance
>>>
>>> sudo stop myth-backend starts the backend.
>>>
>>> So I assume the backend is not running after boot.
>>
>> And what does the mythbackend log file say about why it failed to start?
>>
>
> Here's more from mythbackend.log after another reboot.
>
> BTW "You have the commands, use them." is not helpful.we are not all
> experts.
>
Is it worth repeating the upgrade?.
Obviously not everyone is having this problem

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


nick.rout at gmail

Apr 17, 2012, 1:27 AM

Post #11 of 21 (3653 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 18:10:20 +1200, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 09:32:21 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> First see what is running on boot. Is mythbackend runnig at all?
>>>>>
>>>>> You have the commands, use them.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ps -A | grep myth Gives no output
>>>>
>>>> sudo stop myth-backend gives stop:unknown instance
>>>>
>>>> sudo stop myth-backend starts the backend.
>>>>
>>>> So I assume the backend is not running after boot.
>>>
>>>
>>> And what does the mythbackend log file say about why it failed to start?
>>>
>>
>> Here's more from mythbackend.log after another reboot.
>>
>> BTW "You have the commands, use them." is not helpful.we are not all
>> experts.
>>

Did you need an explanation of the commands that were posted. Here we are:

ps -A | grep myth

ps - show system processes

-A all of them

| pipe (think of it as filter)

grep - search

myth - search for the text "myth"

In short, list all system processes and filter all those with 'myth'
in them - this should catch whether mythbackend (and frontend) are
running. An empty output means there are no processes, ie neither
mythbackend nor mythfrontend or anything with myth in the name are
running.

sudo service mythtv-backend start

sudo - be the root user
service - control a system service
mythtv-backend the service you want to control
start - well, ya can work that out :)

similarly you can stop, restart and other stuff on the service.

Nothing in your log file sticks out like a sore thumb, but the logging
in 0.25 has changed and I am not entirely sure what to look for.

As a broad based kludge you could delay the start of mythfrontend by
inserting a sleep 60 command at the start of the script
/usr/bin/mythfrontend, but be aware that this will be clobbered by any
upgrades, and you will need to do it again. This will delay the start
of mythfrontend by 60 seconds, which should give the backend time to
properly start. There are undoubtedly better ways, but that might get
you going for now.

> Is it worth repeating the upgrade?.
> Obviously not everyone is having this problem

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


paulgir at gmail

Apr 17, 2012, 2:44 PM

Post #12 of 21 (3646 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

\> ps -A | grep myth
>
> ps - show system processes
>
> -A all of them
>
> | pipe (think of it as filter)
>
> grep - search
>
> myth - search for the text "myth"
>
> In short, list all system processes and filter all those with 'myth'
> in them - this should catch whether mythbackend (and frontend) are
> running. An empty output means there are no processes, ie neither
> mythbackend nor mythfrontend or anything with myth in the name are
> running.
>
> sudo service mythtv-backend start
>
> sudo - be the root user
> service - control a system service
> mythtv-backend the service you want to control
> start - well, ya can work that out :)
>
> similarly you can stop, restart and other stuff on the service.
>
> Nothing in your log file sticks out like a sore thumb, but the logging
> in 0.25 has changed and I am not entirely sure what to look for.
>
> As a broad based kludge you could delay the start of mythfrontend by
> inserting a sleep 60 command at the start of the script
> /usr/bin/mythfrontend, but be aware that this will be clobbered by any
> upgrades, and you will need to do it again. This will delay the start
> of mythfrontend by 60 seconds, which should give the backend time to
> properly start. There are undoubtedly better ways, but that might get
> you going for now.
>
Thanks for explaining ps -A | grep myth

I tried the mythfrontend start delay suggestion.Although,logically I can't
see the point
as mythbackend is not starting regardless.
If I could find out why I think I would be half way there.

I think it has to do with upstart:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1959953
and that I'm not modifying the mythtv-backend.conf file
correctly.Unfortunately I don't
know enough to know what needs changing.

The reason myth backend.log has no recent entries since the last reboot is
obviously
because mythbackend does not start so there are no entries generated.If I
manually start
the BE then entries begin to accumulate.

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


nick.rout at gmail

Apr 17, 2012, 3:18 PM

Post #13 of 21 (3652 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
> \> ps -A | grep myth
>
>>
>> ps - show system processes
>>
>> -A all of them
>>
>> | pipe (think of it as filter)
>>
>> grep - search
>>
>> myth - search for the text "myth"
>>
>> In short, list all system processes and filter all those with 'myth'
>> in them - this should catch whether mythbackend (and frontend) are
>> running. An empty output means there are no processes, ie neither
>> mythbackend nor mythfrontend or anything with myth in the name are
>> running.
>>
>> sudo service mythtv-backend start
>>
>> sudo - be the root user
>> service - control a system service
>> mythtv-backend the service you want to control
>> start - well, ya can work that out :)
>>
>> similarly you can stop, restart and other stuff on the service.
>>
>> Nothing in your log file sticks out like a sore thumb, but the logging
>> in 0.25 has changed and I am not entirely sure what to look for.
>>
>> As a broad based kludge you could delay the start of mythfrontend by
>> inserting a sleep 60 command at the start of the script
>> /usr/bin/mythfrontend, but be aware that this will be clobbered by any
>> upgrades, and you will need to do it again. This will delay the start
>> of mythfrontend by 60 seconds, which should give the backend time to
>> properly start. There are undoubtedly better ways, but that might get
>> you going for now.
>>
> Thanks for explaining ps -A | grep myth
>
> I tried the mythfrontend start delay suggestion.Although,logically I can't
> see the point
> as mythbackend is not starting regardless.
> If I could find out why I think I would be half way there.

Actually after sending that message last night I rethought it and
realised that it's a delay in starting the backend that is required.
However I see Thomas, who is a mythbuntu developer has suggested in
the forum that you add a delay but that didn't work.



>
> I think it has to do with upstart:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1959953
> and that I'm not modifying the mythtv-backend.conf file
> correctly.Unfortunately I don't
> know enough to know what needs changing.
>
> The reason myth backend.log has no recent entries since the last reboot is
> obviously
> because mythbackend does not start so there are no entries generated.If I
> manually start
> the BE then entries begin to accumulate.
>

It should still log an entry stating why it failed to start, it makes
me think it's not even getting past the start of the upstart script.

As a further kludgy suggestion, how about adding

service mythtv-backend start

to the end of /etc/rc.local, which gets executed near the end of the
startup processes. Place it ABOVE the exit 0 line.


>
> _______________________________________________
> mythtvnz mailing list
> mythtvnz [at] lists
> http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
> Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


worik.stanton at gmail

Apr 17, 2012, 4:07 PM

Post #14 of 21 (3649 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

On 17/04/12 18:36, Paulgir wrote:
>> BTW "You have the commands, use them." is not helpful.we are not all
>> experts.
>>
> Is it worth repeating the upgrade?.
> Obviously not everyone is having this problem
Yiu are getting a lot of confusing and confused advice. Clearly no-one
knows what the problem is, not surprising unless it is a well known
problem it is hard to diagnose over such a low bandwidth medium.

So my advice is do redo the upgrade.

Also I have 18 years experience hacking on Linux and my strong advice is
do not be an early adopter of newly released versions unless you have a
good reason. It is a recipe for pain!

As a non-Linux expert you have done very well to even get Myth going at
all! It is a fragile and difficult piece of software to use at the best
of times.

cheers
Worik

--
Foo!


_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


paulgir at gmail

Apr 17, 2012, 4:25 PM

Post #15 of 21 (3652 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:07:19 +1200, Worik Stanton
<worik.stanton [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 17/04/12 18:36, Paulgir wrote:
>>> BTW "You have the commands, use them." is not helpful.we are not all
>>> experts.
>>>
>> Is it worth repeating the upgrade?.
>> Obviously not everyone is having this problem
> Yiu are getting a lot of confusing and confused advice. Clearly no-one
> knows what the problem is, not surprising unless it is a well known
> problem it is hard to diagnose over such a low bandwidth medium.
>
> So my advice is do redo the upgrade.
>
> Also I have 18 years experience hacking on Linux and my strong advice is
> do not be an early adopter of newly released versions unless you have a
> good reason. It is a recipe for pain!
>
> As a non-Linux expert you have done very well to even get Myth going at
> all! It is a fragile and difficult piece of software to use at the best
> of times.
>
> cheers
> Worik
>

Nick's latest suggestion has got the BE self starting:

"As a further kludgy suggestion, how about adding

service mythtv-backend start

to the end of /etc/rc.local, which gets executed near the end of the
startup processes. Place it ABOVE the exit 0 line."

I have been using Ubuntu since 6.10 but am still not too fluent in
the command line though I know the basics.I find it difficult decyphering
log
entries or even knowing which log to inspect.

Cheers

Paul

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


paulgir at gmail

Apr 17, 2012, 4:27 PM

Post #16 of 21 (3639 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

>>
>
> It should still log an entry stating why it failed to start, it makes
> me think it's not even getting past the start of the upstart script.
>
> As a further kludgy suggestion, how about adding
>
> service mythtv-backend start
>
> to the end of /etc/rc.local, which gets executed near the end of the
> startup processes. Place it ABOVE the exit 0 line.
>
>
This last suggestion has the BE starting on boot.

Hopefully when 12.04 is released I can upgrade and it may sort itself.

Cheers
Thanks for the assistance

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


nick.rout at gmail

Apr 17, 2012, 5:27 PM

Post #17 of 21 (3644 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>>>
>>
>> It should still log an entry stating why it failed to start, it makes
>> me think it's not even getting past the start of the upstart script.
>>
>> As a further kludgy suggestion, how about adding
>>
>> service mythtv-backend start
>>
>> to the end of /etc/rc.local, which gets executed near the end of the
>> startup processes. Place it ABOVE the exit 0 line.
>>
>>
> This last suggestion has the BE starting on boot.
>
> Hopefully when 12.04 is released I can upgrade and it may sort itself.
>
> Cheers
> Thanks for the assistance


No problems, glad it is (sort of) working :)

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


paulgir at gmail

Apr 18, 2012, 1:54 PM

Post #18 of 21 (3634 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 12:27:01 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> It should still log an entry stating why it failed to start, it makes
>>> me think it's not even getting past the start of the upstart script.
>>>
>>> As a further kludgy suggestion, how about adding
>>>
>>> service mythtv-backend start
>>>
>>> to the end of /etc/rc.local, which gets executed near the end of the
>>> startup processes. Place it ABOVE the exit 0 line.
>>>
>>>
>> This last suggestion has the BE starting on boot.
>>
>> Hopefully when 12.04 is released I can upgrade and it may sort itself.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Thanks for the assistance
>
>
> No problems, glad it is (sort of) working :)
>

A suggestion on my forum thread has fixed the problem:

In mythtv-backend.conf ,change IFACE!=lo to IFACE=lo

i.e.

start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=lo and started
udev-finish)
stop on runlevel [016]

I changed this in my original mythtv-backend.conf the new
mythtv-backend.conf
in the Upstart wiki were not required.

Cheers

Paul

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


stephen_agent at jsw

Apr 18, 2012, 7:06 PM

Post #19 of 21 (3627 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 08:54:05 +1200, you wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 12:27:01 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> It should still log an entry stating why it failed to start, it makes
>>>> me think it's not even getting past the start of the upstart script.
>>>>
>>>> As a further kludgy suggestion, how about adding
>>>>
>>>> service mythtv-backend start
>>>>
>>>> to the end of /etc/rc.local, which gets executed near the end of the
>>>> startup processes. Place it ABOVE the exit 0 line.
>>>>
>>>>
>>> This last suggestion has the BE starting on boot.
>>>
>>> Hopefully when 12.04 is released I can upgrade and it may sort itself.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Thanks for the assistance
>>
>>
>> No problems, glad it is (sort of) working :)
>>
>
>A suggestion on my forum thread has fixed the problem:
>
>In mythtv-backend.conf ,change IFACE!=lo to IFACE=lo
>
>i.e.
>
>start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=lo and started
>udev-finish)
>stop on runlevel [016]
>
>I changed this in my original mythtv-backend.conf the new
>mythtv-backend.conf
>in the Upstart wiki were not required.
>
>Cheers
>
>Paul

That should mean that your MythTV box does not have a network
connection (no ethernet or WiFi) - is that correct?

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


paulgir at gmail

Apr 18, 2012, 11:59 PM

Post #20 of 21 (3610 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

>> A suggestion on my forum thread has fixed the problem:
>>
>> In mythtv-backend.conf ,change IFACE!=lo to IFACE=lo
>>
>> i.e.
>>
>> start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=lo and started
>> udev-finish)
>> stop on runlevel [016]
>>
>> I changed this in my original mythtv-backend.conf the new
>> mythtv-backend.conf
>> in the Upstart wiki were not required.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Paul
>
> That should mean that your MythTV box does not have a network
> connection (no ethernet or WiFi) - is that correct?
>
No ,I use a cable ethernet connection to grab EPG data as needed
This is still working.

Here is the post from the forum user that cma up with the fix:

"Had (this?) problem on a combined FE/BE system, → if wireless network not
available, unable to connect to backend.

changing

IFACE!=lo

to

IFACE=lo

sorted this out for me.

Not sure why this is set up as it is, I will need to investigate further
when I get the chance."

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


stephen_agent at jsw

Apr 19, 2012, 12:38 AM

Post #21 of 21 (3650 views)
Permalink
Re: Backend fails to start [In reply to]

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 18:59:54 +1200, you wrote:

>
>>> A suggestion on my forum thread has fixed the problem:
>>>
>>> In mythtv-backend.conf ,change IFACE!=lo to IFACE=lo
>>>
>>> i.e.
>>>
>>> start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=lo and started
>>> udev-finish)
>>> stop on runlevel [016]
>>>
>>> I changed this in my original mythtv-backend.conf the new
>>> mythtv-backend.conf
>>> in the Upstart wiki were not required.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> That should mean that your MythTV box does not have a network
>> connection (no ethernet or WiFi) - is that correct?
>>
>No ,I use a cable ethernet connection to grab EPG data as needed
>This is still working.
>
>Here is the post from the forum user that cma up with the fix:
>
>"Had (this?) problem on a combined FE/BE system, ? if wireless network not
>available, unable to connect to backend.
>
> changing
>
> IFACE!=lo
>
> to
>
> IFACE=lo
>
> sorted this out for me.
>
> Not sure why this is set up as it is, I will need to investigate further
>when I get the chance."

That makes sense. Until the WiFi is up, you have no network
interfaces up, and upstart will wait. With the IFACE=lo setting, it
only waits for the localhost interface to be up, which normally
happens rapidly. Your FE and BE will be set to use the localhost
interface to talk to each other (which is the default).

The change to IFACE!=lo would have been made in response to the
problems people like me have. My BE is set to use my ethernet address
to talk on, so that other FEs can use the BE across my network. So
for me, I need the IFACE!=lo (or in fact IFACE=br0), otherwise my BE
starts up before the interface it needs is available. I have been
making that change manually with each version of MythTV until now. It
looks as though the change was made without enough thought and
certainly without enough testing, as it clearly will not work for
those like you who only have a WiFi connection and do not always have
it connect automatically at startup.

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/

MythTV mythtvnz RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.