http://www.mythtv.org/

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.25

paulgir at gmail

Re: 0,25 released [In reply to]

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 07:46:50 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> Just a note for those that may not be on mythtv-users:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.25

What is the normal / preferred method to update to a new version?
I'm using Mythbuntu - is the update performed via the software
manager,or does it have to performed manually?
Are all the settings of the previous version retained?

Cheers

Paul

tortise at paradise

Re: 0,25 released [In reply to]

On 11/04/2012 7:59 a.m., Paulgir wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 07:46:50 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> Just a note for those that may not be on mythtv-users:
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.25

> What is the normal / preferred method to update to a new version?
> I'm using Mythbuntu - is the update performed via the software
> manager,or does it have to performed manually?
> Are all the settings of the previous version retained?
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul

http://www.mythbuntu.org/mythtv/0.25

nick.rout at gmail

Re: 0,25 released [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 07:46:50 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> Just a note for those that may not be on mythtv-users:
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.25

> What is the normal / preferred method to update to a new version?
> I'm using Mythbuntu - is the update  performed via the software
> manager,or does it have to performed manually?
> Are all the settings of the previous version retained?

What version of mythbuntu are you on? If you are on lucid, natty or
oneric you can upgrade:

1. backup your database http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

2. Assuming you are already using mythbuntu repos sudo
dpkg-reconfigure mythbuntu-repos

choose 0.25

3. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get safe-upgrade -V

All settings will be retained because they are in your database.

If you need to revert go back to the backed up database you saved in (1).

> Cheers
>
> Paul

paulgir at gmail

Re: 0,25 released [In reply to]

> What version of mythbuntu are you on? If you are on lucid, natty or
> oneric you can upgrade:
>
> 1. backup your database
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
>
> 2. Assuming you are already using mythbuntu repos sudo
> dpkg-reconfigure mythbuntu-repos
>
> choose 0.25
>
> 3. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get safe-upgrade -V
>
> All settings will be retained because they are in your database.
>
> If you need to revert go back to the backed up database you saved in (1).

I'm on Oneiric and 0.24 + fixes

I did followed the Mythbuntu-repos page instructions and used the

Mythbuntu Control Center and update manager to install the repos package

and select 0.25.

I take it there are no problems doing it this way rather that the CLI
commands

you posted?

I have backed up the db.I will hold off on the update till I have some
time to deal

with any problems.

Thanks

nick.rout at gmail

Re: 0,25 released [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:

>> What version of mythbuntu are you on? If you are on lucid, natty or
>> oneric you can upgrade:
>>
>> 1. backup your database
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
>>
>> 2. Assuming you are already using mythbuntu repos sudo
>> dpkg-reconfigure mythbuntu-repos
>>
>> choose 0.25
>>
>> 3. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get safe-upgrade -V
>>
>> All settings will be retained because they are in your database.
>>
>> If you need to revert go back to the backed up database you saved in (1).
>>
> I'm on Oneiric and 0.24 + fixes
>
> I did followed the Mythbuntu-repos page instructions and used the
>
> Mythbuntu Control Center and update manager to install the repos package
>
> and select 0.25.
>
> I take it there are no problems doing it this way rather that the CLI
> commands
>
> you posted?
>
> I have backed up the db.I will hold off on the update till I have some time
> to deal
>
> with any problems.
>
> Thanks

I see no reason why that wouldn't work, I posted the easiest and
quickest way I know, given that most of my myth machines don't have a
keyboard or mouse, and I do this stuff via ssh.

paulgir at gmail

Re: 0,25 released [In reply to]

>> I'm on Oneiric and 0.24 + fixes
>>
>> I did followed the Mythbuntu-repos page instructions and used the
>>
>> Mythbuntu Control Center and update manager to install the repos package
>>
>> and select 0.25.
>>
>> I take it there are no problems doing it this way rather that the CLI
>> commands
>>
>> you posted?
>>
>> I have backed up the db.I will hold off on the update till I have some
>> time
>> to deal
>>
>> with any problems.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> I see no reason why that wouldn't work, I posted the easiest and
> quickest way I know, given that most of my myth machines don't have a
> keyboard or mouse, and I do this stuff via ssh.

I attempted the update,using the step described above.
The update manager told me it would attempt a partial upgrade.
First attempt the update manager closed immediately, so I used the
terminal commands
and the update manager down loaded the new packages but hung up on the
preparing changes section.After an hour I closed the update manager - there
was a lot of HDD activity - and I restarted mythfrontend,It still showed
version 0.24.
I shut down and restarted - still shows V 0.24

I'm not sure why it won't update.

sultanoswing at gmail

Re: 0,25 released [In reply to]

Time to go to a rolling distribution, gentlemen, like Arch ;)

Re: 0,25 released [In reply to]

>> I attempted the update,using the step described above.
>> The update manager told me it would attempt a partial upgrade.
>> First attempt the update manager closed immediately, so I used the
>> terminal commands
>> and the update manager down loaded the new packages but hung up on the
>> preparing changes section.After an hour I closed the update manager -
>> there
>> was a lot of HDD activity - and I restarted mythfrontend,It still
>> showed version 0.24.
>> I shut down and restarted - still shows V 0.24
>>
>> I'm not sure why it won't update.
>>

> Time to go to a rolling distribution, gentlemen, like Arch ;)

Actually,now I'm not so sure it didn't update.If I open update manager and
check
for updates it says the system is up to date - with the 0.25 repo selected.
Maybe it's only myth info that is showing 0.24.

markk at kc

Re: 0,25 released [In reply to]

On Sat, 2012-04-14 at 13:05 +1200, Curtis Walker wrote:
> Time to go to a rolling distribution, gentlemen, like Arch ;)

> >> I see no reason why that wouldn't work, I posted the easiest and
> >> quickest way I know, given that most of my myth machines don't have a
> >> keyboard or mouse, and I do this stuff via ssh.
> >>
> > I attempted the update,using the step described above.
> > The update manager told me it would attempt a partial upgrade.
> > First attempt the update manager closed immediately, so I used the terminal commands
> > and the update manager down loaded the new packages but hung up on the
> > preparing changes section.After an hour I closed the update manager - there
> > was a lot of HDD activity - and I restarted mythfrontend,It still showed version 0.24.
> > I shut down and restarted - still shows V 0.24
> >
> > I'm not sure why it won't update.
> >

> Time to go to a rolling distribution, gentlemen, like Arch ;)
I had to disable the mythbuntu 0.24 repository in the package manager
before the update would pick up that it should install 0.25.

Mark

paulgir at gmail

Re: 0,25 released [In reply to]

>> Time to go to a rolling distribution, gentlemen, like Arch ;)
> I had to disable the mythbuntu 0.24 repository in the package manager
> before the update would pick up that it should install 0.25.
>
> Mark

Did you de-select that in software sources?
The directions in mythbuntu-repos only says to select 0.25

nick.rout at gmail

Re: 0,25 released [In reply to]

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> Time to go to a rolling distribution, gentlemen, like Arch ;)
>>
>> I had to disable the mythbuntu 0.24 repository in the package manager
>> before the update would pick up that it should install 0.25.
>>
>> Mark
>>

> Did you de-select that in software sources?
> The directions in mythbuntu-repos only says to select 0.25

I suspect you need to do the dist-upgrade because dependencies have changed.

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -V

(-V will tell you what versions you are moving from and to)

paulgir at gmail

Re: 0,25 released [In reply to]

>>> I had to disable the mythbuntu 0.24 repository in the package manager
>>> before the update would pick up that it should install 0.25.
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>

>> Did you de-select that in software sources?
>> The directions in mythbuntu-repos only says to select 0.25
>
> I suspect you need to do the dist-upgrade because dependencies have
> changed.
>
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -V
>
> (-V will tell you what versions you are moving from and to)

When it started the upgrade it indicated that it was a distribution
upgrade.

Paul

markk at kc

Re: 0,25 released [In reply to]

On Sat, 2012-04-14 at 15:34 +1200, Paulgir wrote:

> >> Time to go to a rolling distribution, gentlemen, like Arch ;)
> > I had to disable the mythbuntu 0.24 repository in the package manager
> > before the update would pick up that it should install 0.25.
> >
> > Mark
> >

> Did you de-select that in software sources?
> The directions in mythbuntu-repos only says to select 0.25

Yes in software sources, Other Software tab.
Note that you should already see a 0.25 option ticked. After changing a
repository setting you should also click reload back at the main window
to reload the software sources.

Cheers
Mark

paulgir at gmail

Re: 0,25 released [In reply to]

>> Did you de-select that in software sources?
>> The directions in mythbuntu-repos only says to select 0.25
>>
> Yes in software sources, Other Software tab.
> Note that you should already see a 0.25 option ticked. After changing a
> repository setting you should also click reload back at the main window
> to reload the software sources.
>
> Cheers
> Mark

Software Sources showed mythbuntu-repos were selected.
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -V didn't t4ell me anything was going to be
changed as far as I
can tell.

So I changed upgrade manager to download from the main server (it was on
the NZ server)
It advised me it would do a partial upgrade,I proceeded and all is well.
I now have V 0.25.
The reason I changed the server location was that I have had trouble
doing upgrades on my Ubuntu desktop in the past that responded positively
to switching to the main server.

scottn at ihug

Re: 0,25 released [In reply to]

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 09:19:12 Nick Rout wrote:
> 1. backup your database
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
>
> 2. Assuming you are already using mythbuntu repos sudo
> dpkg-reconfigure mythbuntu-repos
>
> choose 0.25
>
> 3. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get safe-upgrade -V

I've updated my version to 0.25 using the above (except dist-upgrade rather
than safe-upgrade) and everything is working fine except that in programs
recorded before the upgrade the times are all wrong when skipping ahead. An
hour long program will claim to be 3 hours long for example. The skip still
works as normally, just the displayed duration is heywire. Anyone else seeing
this? Or know how to fix?

Thanks

--
Regards
Scott Newton

paulgir at gmail

Re: 0,25 released [In reply to]

> I've updated my version to 0.25 using the above (except dist-upgrade
> rather
> than safe-upgrade) and everything is working fine except that in programs
> recorded before the upgrade the times are all wrong when skipping ahead.
> An
> hour long program will claim to be 3 hours long for example. The skip
> still
> works as normally, just the displayed duration is heywire. Anyone else
> seeing
> this? Or know how to fix?

I'm seeing the same thing re duration of recordings.
Haven't noticed the skip times being wrong (haven't looked)
Paul

markk at kc

Re: 0,25 released [In reply to]

On Sun, 2012-04-15 at 15:11 +1200, Paulgir wrote:

> > I've updated my version to 0.25 using the above (except dist-upgrade
> > rather
> > than safe-upgrade) and everything is working fine except that in programs
> > recorded before the upgrade the times are all wrong when skipping ahead.
> > An
> > hour long program will claim to be 3 hours long for example. The skip
> > still
> > works as normally, just the displayed duration is heywire. Anyone else
> > seeing
> > this? Or know how to fix?
> >
> I'm seeing the same thing re duration of recordings.
> Haven't noticed the skip times being wrong (haven't looked)
> Paul
I also noticed this morning that all the durations for previously
recorded programs are completely wrong.

Mark