Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Some recordings refuse to be deleted

paulgir at gmail

Mar 23, 2012, 12:12 PM

Some recordings refuse to be deleted

Hi Folks

I was tidying up the storage drive by using the "delete forever" function
to remove unwanted recordings.
This was generally successful except in the case of 8 of the earliest
recordings which were made soon after
I got my HTPC running.
From the deleted recordings view the "delete forever" option removes the
selected recording but they reappear
on the list within a few seconds.
I have checked that the recordings are not marked "preserve" and they can
be played from the list.I have tried
to undelete and delete again.So far nothing seems to work.
The recordings are all from 3 dates: 2 from 27/1/12;1 from 33/1/12 and 5
from 1/2/12.
Any ideas how to remove these?

nick.rout at gmail

Mar 23, 2012, 1:03 PM

Re: Some recordings refuse to be deleted [In reply to]

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> I was tidying up the storage drive by using the "delete forever" function to
> remove unwanted recordings.
> This was generally successful except in the case of 8 of the earliest
> recordings which were made soon after
> I got my HTPC running.
> From the deleted recordings view the "delete forever" option removes the
> selected recording but they reappear
> on the list within a few seconds.
> I have checked that the recordings are not marked "preserve" and they can be
> played from the list.I have tried
> to undelete and delete again.So far nothing seems to work.
> The recordings are all from 3 dates:  2 from 27/1/12;1 from 33/1/12 and 5
> from 1/2/12.
> Any ideas how to remove these?

permissions on those files?

paulgir at gmail

Mar 23, 2012, 3:09 PM

Re: Some recordings refuse to be deleted [In reply to]

I haven't checked permissions - I assumed they would be the same as all
the other files.

I will check.

Can the filed be deleted from the file manager? Or does that upset the
database?

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:03:33 +1300, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Hi Folks
>>
>> I was tidying up the storage drive by using the "delete forever"
>> function to
>> remove unwanted recordings.
>> This was generally successful except in the case of 8 of the earliest
>> recordings which were made soon after
>> I got my HTPC running.
>> From the deleted recordings view the "delete forever" option removes the
>> selected recording but they reappear
>> on the list within a few seconds.
>> I have checked that the recordings are not marked "preserve" and they
>> can be
>> played from the list.I have tried
>> to undelete and delete again.So far nothing seems to work.
>> The recordings are all from 3 dates: 2 from 27/1/12;1 from 33/1/12 and
>> 5
>> from 1/2/12.
>> Any ideas how to remove these?
>
> permissions on those files?

I haven't checked permissions - I assumed they would be the same as all
the other files.

I will check.

Can the filed be deleted from the file manager? Or does that upset the
database?

nick.rout at gmail

Mar 23, 2012, 4:13 PM

Re: Some recordings refuse to be deleted [In reply to]

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
> I haven't checked permissions - I assumed they would be the same as all the
> other files.
>
> I will check.
>
> Can the filed be deleted from the file manager? Or does that upset the
> database?

stop top posting please.

yes you can delete them from the drive, but they will remain in
database. use find_orphans.py to get rid of the database entries.

But if you set the permissions right you will be able to do it
properly from the gui.

> On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:03:33 +1300, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Folks
>>>
>>> I was tidying up the storage drive by using the "delete forever" function
>>> remove unwanted recordings.
>>> This was generally successful except in the case of 8 of the earliest
>>> recordings which were made soon after
>>> I got my HTPC running.
>>> From the deleted recordings view the "delete forever" option removes the
>>> selected recording but they reappear
>>> on the list within a few seconds.
>>> I have checked that the recordings are not marked "preserve" and they can
>>> be
>>> played from the list.I have tried
>>> to undelete and delete again.So far nothing seems to work.
>>> The recordings are all from 3 dates:  2 from 27/1/12;1 from 33/1/12 and 5
>>> from 1/2/12.
>>> Any ideas how to remove these?
>>

>> permissions on those files?

> I haven't checked permissions - I assumed they would be the same as all the
> other files.
>
> I will check.
>
> Can the filed be deleted from the file manager? Or does that upset the
> database?

paulgir at gmail

Mar 23, 2012, 7:57 PM

Re: Some recordings refuse to be deleted [In reply to]

> stop top posting please.
>
> yes you can delete them from the drive, but they will remain in
> database. use find_orphans.py to get rid of the database entries.
>
> But if you set the permissions right you will be able to do it
> properly from the gui.

Some of the files seem to be owned by root and in the root group
I changed the group to mythtv but can't change the owner.
This did not help.I deleted the files in the file manager but can't find
Find_orphans.py - where does that usually hide?

stevehodge at gmail

Mar 23, 2012, 9:06 PM

Re: Some recordings refuse to be deleted [In reply to]

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 15:57, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:

> Some of the files seem to be owned by root and in the root group
> I changed the group to mythtv but can't change the owner.
> This did not help.I deleted the files in the file manager but can't find
> Find_orphans.py - where does that usually hide?

An alternative to changing the owner is to change permissions, e.g. chmod
777 <filename>.

If you've deleted the files then deleting the recording in MythTV should
remove the database entry even though it can't find the recording file to
delete.

Cheers,
Steve

paulgir at gmail

Mar 23, 2012, 9:39 PM

Re: Some recordings refuse to be deleted [In reply to]

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 17:06:46 +1300, Steve Hodge <stevehodge [at] gmail>
wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 15:57, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> Some of the files seem to be owned by root and in the root group
>> I changed the group to mythtv but can't change the owner.
>> This did not help.I deleted the files in the file manager but can't find
>> Find_orphans.py - where does that usually hide?
>>

> An alternative to changing the owner is to change permissions, e.g. chmod
> 777 <filename>.
>
> If you've deleted the files then deleting the recording in MythTV should
> remove the database entry even though it can't find the recording file to
> delete.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

I found find_orphans.py on mythtv.org copied it into a text editor and
saved it in
the home directory.Tried to run it after making it executable - it didn't
appear to do anything.
I tried deleting the files in Mythtv that I deleted in the file manager -
the entries reappear
in the list as before.They no longer play when I select them though.

jyavenard at gmail

Re: Some recordings refuse to be deleted [In reply to]

On 24 March 2012 15:06, Steve Hodge <stevehodge [at] gmail> wrote:
> An alternative to changing the owner is to change permissions, e.g. chmod
> 777 <filename>.

deleting a file require write permission on the directory containing
the file, not on the file itself.