Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Help needed setting up HVR-2200 in Mythbuntu

paulgir at gmail

Jan 13, 2012, 10:29 PM

Help needed setting up HVR-2200 in Mythbuntu

This is where I have got to.
I've been running a mythTV backend in Ubuntu 11.10 to test the hardware.
I followed the directions on
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-2200
to install the firmware and got the capture cards section to recognise
the tuner.
I could not figure out how to test the card using myth BE - it would not
let me do a scan.
I found and installed Gnome DVB daemon.This app could not be easier.I
selected New Zealand
and it brought up Waiatarua as my closest transmitter.It scanned all the
freeview channels
with signal strength indications. It had downloaded the freeview programme
guide for the
next six hours.I selected a programme to record and it created a folder in
Downloads to
store the file.it created an mpeg file that had a 0 KB size.

So I thought I must be almost there and decided to install Mythbuntu.
This is not an easy program to use with no guide.
I went through the same process as above to install the firmware but now
that process
does not work:

wget http://www.steventoth.net/linux/hvr22xx/22xxdrv_27086.zip
wget
http://www.steventoth.net/linux/hvr22xx/HVR-12x0-14x0-17x0_1_25_25271_WHQL.zip
wget http://www.steventoth.net/linux/hvr22xx/extract.sh

sh extract.sh
cp *fw /lib/firmware
# for some linux distros, might need the following line instead of the
above
cp *fw /lib/firmware/`uname -r`

I get to the "sh extract.sh" command and it tells me it can't find the
file.

any help?

I tried to play a .avi file after copying it to /var/lib/videos and
filling the database but when
I go to media library I can't find the file.

Cheers
Paul

nick.rout at gmail

Jan 14, 2012, 12:28 AM

Re: Help needed setting up HVR-2200 in Mythbuntu [In reply to]

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Paulgir <paulgir [at] gmail> wrote:

> This is where I have got to.
> I've been running a mythTV backend in Ubuntu 11.10 to test the hardware.
> I followed the directions on
> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-2200
>  to install the firmware and got the capture cards section to recognise
> the tuner.
> I could not figure out how to test the card using myth BE - it would not
> let me do a scan.
> I found and installed Gnome DVB daemon.This app could not be easier.I
> selected New Zealand
> and it brought up Waiatarua as my closest transmitter.It scanned all the
> freeview channels
> with signal strength indications. It had downloaded the freeview programme
> guide for the
> next six hours.I selected a programme to record and it created a folder in
> Downloads to
> store the file.it created an mpeg file that had a 0 KB size.
>
> So I thought I must be almost there and decided to install Mythbuntu.
> This is not an easy program to use with no guide.
> I went through the same process as above to install the firmware but now
> that process
> does not work:
>
> wget http://www.steventoth.net/linux/hvr22xx/22xxdrv_27086.zip
> wget
> http://www.steventoth.net/linux/hvr22xx/HVR-12x0-14x0-17x0_1_25_25271_WHQL.zip
> wget http://www.steventoth.net/linux/hvr22xx/extract.sh
>
> sh extract.sh
> cp *fw /lib/firmware
> # for some linux distros, might need the following line instead of the
> above
> cp *fw /lib/firmware/`uname -r`
>
> I get to the "sh extract.sh"  command and it tells me it can't find the
> file.

Probably you need to be root to do that, try preceeding it with sudo

> any help?
>
> I tried to play a .avi file after copying it to /var/lib/videos and
> filling the database but when
> I go to media library  I can't find the file.

Wrong place if you have not changed the mythbuntu defaults. Try
/var/lib/mythtv/videos