Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Quick HDMI question....

rob at webworxshop

Oct 16, 2011, 1:19 PM

Quick HDMI question....

Hi All,

After all the hardware recommendations you provided me with I went
ahead and bought all the components on Saturday and assembled my box
(it's very quiet!). It's yet to have an OS due to me being busy
yesterday - that will be tonight's job.

There were two things which I missed when buying my components. The
first is that I didn't realise that IDE has completely gone the way of
the Dodo in favour of SATA. This means another trip to pbtech tonight to
pick up a SATA DVD drive (rather than using the IDE one I already had
spare).

The second thing is HDMI. I have a HDMI output on the graphics card I
bought (an EVGA Nvidia 210 [0]) and the respective input on my TV. My
question is whether a direct HDMI connection between the graphics card
and the TV will give me audio over HDMI, or do I need a special cable?
If this will work with just a standard cable, is there any configuration
magic required to direct the audio to the graphics card?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Rob

[0]
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=VGAEVG1311&name=EVGA-GT210-512M-DDR3-PCI-E-2.0-16X-Video-Card-Fanl

criggie at criggie

Oct 16, 2011, 1:44 PM

Re: Quick HDMI question.... [In reply to]

rob [at] webworxshop wrote, On 10/17/2011 09:19 AM:
> There were two things which I missed when buying my components. The
> first is that I didn't realise that IDE has completely gone the way of
> the Dodo in favour of SATA. This means another trip to pbtech tonight to
> pick up a SATA DVD drive (rather than using the IDE one I already had
> spare).
Good side is they're quite cheap nowdays.

> The second thing is HDMI. I have a HDMI output on the graphics card I
> bought (an EVGA Nvidia 210 [0]) and the respective input on my TV. My
> question is whether a direct HDMI connection between the graphics card
> and the TV will give me audio over HDMI, or do I need a special cable?
> If this will work with just a standard cable, is there any configuration
> magic required to direct the audio to the graphics card?
Yes, probably.

I have to run something out of .login to get the HDMI output turned on,
and I don't use it for audio.
Get the nvidia driver - will make life easier. I've never had any luck
with nouveau.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

olivuts at yahoo

Oct 16, 2011, 1:45 PM

Re: Quick HDMI question.... [In reply to]

>________________________________
>).
>
>The second thing is HDMI. I have a HDMI output on the graphics card I
>bought (an EVGA Nvidia 210 [0]) and the respective input on my TV. My
>question is whether a direct HDMI connection between the graphics card
>and the TV will give me audio over HDMI, or do I need a special cable?
>If this will work with just a standard cable, is there any configuration
>magic required to direct the audio to the graphics card?
>

>My experience is that the audio over HDMI requires a little magic in the ALSA setting and I think more specifically in the asoundrc file.
>I know I had to make some setting originally (about 2 years ago) but often these things get incorporated into the default so you may be lucky.
>If you want to do things like simultaneous output of sound to HDMI (to TV) and to spdif (to amp) then you almost certainly will have to add an asoundrc file.

killerkiwi2005 at gmail

Oct 16, 2011, 1:55 PM

Re: Quick HDMI question.... [In reply to]

> The second thing is HDMI. I have a HDMI output on the graphics card I
> bought (an EVGA Nvidia 210 [0]) and the respective input on my TV. My
> question is whether a direct HDMI connection between the graphics card
> and the TV will give me audio over HDMI, or do I need a special cable?
> If this will work with just a standard cable, is there any configuration
> magic required to direct the audio to the graphics card?

As of my last install with a 220 all I had to do was unmute the channel
using alsamixer and set mythfront end to use the correct alsa device which I
think was 1,7

Much nicer having the single cable

speaker-test is helpful in working out what correct and working

Cheers

Jason Taylor

--
"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calven

stephen_agent at jsw

Oct 16, 2011, 2:09 PM

Re: Quick HDMI question.... [In reply to]

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 09:19:34 +1300, you wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>After all the hardware recommendations you provided me with I went
>ahead and bought all the components on Saturday and assembled my box
>(it's very quiet!). It's yet to have an OS due to me being busy
>yesterday - that will be tonight's job.
>
>There were two things which I missed when buying my components. The
>first is that I didn't realise that IDE has completely gone the way of
>the Dodo in favour of SATA. This means another trip to pbtech tonight to
>pick up a SATA DVD drive (rather than using the IDE one I already had
>spare).

There is no need to get a SATA DVD drive unless your motherboard does
not have any IDE ports. They usually still have one. A SATA DVD
drive is no faster than an IDE one. And if you are using a
motherboard with fewer SATA ports, using an old IDE DVD drive keeps an
extra one available for when you need another hard drive.

mythicalbeast at slingshot

Oct 16, 2011, 2:27 PM

Re: Quick HDMI question.... [In reply to]

On
> The second thing is HDMI. I have a HDMI output on the graphics card I
> bought (an EVGA Nvidia 210 [0]) and the respective input on my TV. My
> question is whether a direct HDMI connection between the graphics card
> and the TV will give me audio over HDMI, or do I need a special cable?
> If this will work with just a standard cable, is there any configuration
> magic required to direct the audio to the graphics card?

Will the person who recommended the GT210 own up ?

The HDMI audio is not hard to debug sort out..
You need to use the nVidia driver.
It is recommended to use alsa 1.0.24 user-space.
A std $5-$10 HDMI cable is fine.

What distro kernel are you running ?

Post your
aplay -l

You will likely get devices like
hw:1,3
hw:1,7
hw:1,8
hw:1,9

Then try
speaker-test -c 2 -r 48000 -D hw:1,n
where n= [9, 8, 7,3]
close/reopen the terminal each time for good measure..

rob at webworxshop

Oct 16, 2011, 3:28 PM

Re: Quick HDMI question.... [In reply to]

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:09:15 +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 09:19:34 +1300, you wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>After all the hardware recommendations you provided me with I went
>>ahead and bought all the components on Saturday and assembled my box
>>(it's very quiet!). It's yet to have an OS due to me being busy
>>yesterday - that will be tonight's job.
>>
>>There were two things which I missed when buying my components. The
>>first is that I didn't realise that IDE has completely gone the way
>> of
>>the Dodo in favour of SATA. This means another trip to pbtech tonight
>>pick up a SATA DVD drive (rather than using the IDE one I already had
>>spare).
>
> There is no need to get a SATA DVD drive unless your motherboard does
> not have any IDE ports. They usually still have one. A SATA DVD
> drive is no faster than an IDE one. And if you are using a
> motherboard with fewer SATA ports, using an old IDE DVD drive keeps
> an
> extra one available for when you need another hard drive.

The motherboard is this one [0]. I can confirm that it has no IDE
ports, probably because of the m-atx form factor.

Rob

[0]
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=MBDGBM3073&name=GIGABYTE-A75M-D2H-AMD-A75-CHIPSET-MATX-Socket-FM1-

rob at webworxshop

Oct 16, 2011, 3:35 PM

Re: Quick HDMI question.... [In reply to]

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:27:38 +1300, Brett wrote:
> On
>> The second thing is HDMI. I have a HDMI output on the graphics card
>> bought (an EVGA Nvidia 210 [0]) and the respective input on my TV.
>> My
>> question is whether a direct HDMI connection between the graphics
>> card
>> and the TV will give me audio over HDMI, or do I need a special
>> cable?
>> If this will work with just a standard cable, is there any
>> configuration
>> magic required to direct the audio to the graphics card?
>
> Will the person who recommended the GT210 own up ?

No-one recommended the 210 specifically. I just went for one that
supports VDPAU [0]. Despite the title on the pbtech site, the box and
EVGA website quote it as being a "Geforce 210" not GT210 [1].

> The HDMI audio is not hard to debug sort out..
> You need to use the nVidia driver.
> It is recommended to use alsa 1.0.24 user-space.
> A std $5-$10 HDMI cable is fine.

That answers my question, thanks.

> What distro kernel are you running ?

Nothing yet!

> Post your
> aplay -l
>
> You will likely get devices like
> hw:1,3
> hw:1,7
> hw:1,8
> hw:1,9
>
> Then try
> speaker-test -c 2 -r 48000 -D hw:1,n
> where n= [9, 8, 7,3]
> close/reopen the terminal each time for good measure..

Will give this a try once I get the cable.

Cheers,

Rob

[0]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo#Table_of_PureVideo_.28HD.29_GPUs
[1]
http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=512-P3-1310-LR&family=GeForce%20200%20Series%20Family&sw=

nick.rout at gmail

Oct 16, 2011, 4:06 PM

Re: Quick HDMI question.... [In reply to]

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:19 AM, <rob [at] webworxshop> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> After all the hardware recommendations you provided me with I went
> ahead and bought all the components on Saturday and assembled my box
> (it's very quiet!). It's yet to have an OS due to me being busy
> yesterday - that will be tonight's job.
>
> There were two things which I missed when buying my components. The
> first is that I didn't realise that IDE has completely gone the way of
> the Dodo in favour of SATA. This means another trip to pbtech tonight to
> pick up a SATA DVD drive (rather than using the IDE one I already had
> spare).
>
> The second thing is HDMI. I have a HDMI output on the graphics card I
> bought (an EVGA Nvidia 210 [0]) and the respective input on my TV. My
> question is whether a direct HDMI connection between the graphics card
> and the TV will give me audio over HDMI, or do I need a special cable?
> If this will work with just a standard cable, is there any configuration
> magic required to direct the audio to the graphics card?

It should work out of the box. make sure that the output is not muted,
and scan for audio devices in mythtv, and select the obvious one, it
will probably be something like alsa:HDMI

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob
>
> [0]
> http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=VGAEVG1311&name=EVGA-GT210-512M-DDR3-PCI-E-2.0-16X-Video-Card-Fanl

nick.rout at gmail

Oct 16, 2011, 4:09 PM

Re: Quick HDMI question.... [In reply to]

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:35 AM, <rob [at] webworxshop> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:27:38 +1300, Brett wrote:
>> On
>>> The second thing is HDMI. I have a HDMI output on the graphics card
>>> bought (an EVGA Nvidia 210 [0]) and the respective input on my TV.
>>> My
>>> question is whether a direct HDMI connection between the graphics
>>> card
>>> and the TV will give me audio over HDMI, or do I need a special
>>> cable?
>>> If this will work with just a standard cable, is there any
>>> configuration
>>> magic required to direct the audio to the graphics card?
>>
>> Will the person who recommended the GT210 own up ?
>
> No-one recommended the 210 specifically. I just went for one that
> supports VDPAU [0]. Despite the title on the pbtech site, the box and
> EVGA website quote it as being a "Geforce 210" not GT210 [1].

It does support vdpau, it's just not powerful enough to do the very
best nvidia deinterlacing. Many people are happy with 210's, but a 220
is better.

sultanoswing at gmail

Oct 16, 2011, 4:25 PM

Re: Quick HDMI question.... [In reply to]

Agreed on the 210 vs 220. See if they'll take it back (shouldn't be a
problem with the gear you're already buying, and the fact you want to
spend a bit more on a higher spec).

On 17 October 2011 12:09, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:35 AM,  <rob [at] webworxshop> wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:27:38 +1300, Brett wrote:
>>> On
>>>
>>> Will the person who recommended the GT210 own up ?
>>
>> No-one recommended the 210 specifically. I just went for one that
>> supports VDPAU [0]. Despite the title on the pbtech site, the box and
>> EVGA website quote it as being a "Geforce 210" not GT210 [1].
>
> It does support vdpau, it's just not powerful enough to do the very
> best nvidia deinterlacing. Many people are happy with 210's, but a 220
> is better.

rob at webworxshop

Oct 16, 2011, 4:54 PM

Re: Quick HDMI question.... [In reply to]

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 12:09:07 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:35 AM, <rob [at] webworxshop> wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:27:38 +1300, Brett wrote:
>>> On
>>>
>>> Will the person who recommended the GT210 own up ?
>>
>> No-one recommended the 210 specifically. I just went for one that
>> supports VDPAU [0]. Despite the title on the pbtech site, the box
>> and
>> EVGA website quote it as being a "Geforce 210" not GT210 [1].
>
> It does support vdpau, it's just not powerful enough to do the very
> best nvidia deinterlacing. Many people are happy with 210's, but a
> 220
> is better.

I think I'll give it a try for now. The store doesn't have any 220's so
probably not able to do an exchange/upgrade.

Rob

rob at webworxshop

Oct 16, 2011, 4:55 PM

Re: Quick HDMI question.... [In reply to]

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 12:06:36 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:19 AM, <rob [at] webworxshop> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> After all the hardware recommendations you provided me with I went
>> ahead and bought all the components on Saturday and assembled my box
>> (it's very quiet!). It's yet to have an OS due to me being busy
>> yesterday - that will be tonight's job.
>>
>> There were two things which I missed when buying my components. The
>> first is that I didn't realise that IDE has completely gone the way
>> of
>> the Dodo in favour of SATA. This means another trip to pbtech
>> tonight to
>> pick up a SATA DVD drive (rather than using the IDE one I already
>> had
>> spare).
>>
>> The second thing is HDMI. I have a HDMI output on the graphics card
>> bought (an EVGA Nvidia 210 [0]) and the respective input on my TV.
>> My
>> question is whether a direct HDMI connection between the graphics
>> card
>> and the TV will give me audio over HDMI, or do I need a special
>> cable?
>> If this will work with just a standard cable, is there any
>> configuration
>> magic required to direct the audio to the graphics card?
>
> It should work out of the box. make sure that the output is not
> muted,
> and scan for audio devices in mythtv, and select the obvious one, it
> will probably be something like alsa:HDMI

That's just what I wanted to hear, thanks!

Rob

criggie at criggie

Oct 16, 2011, 5:13 PM

Re: Quick HDMI question.... [In reply to]

On 17/10/11 11:35, rob [at] webworxshop wrote:
>> Will the person who recommended the GT210 own up ?

> No-one recommended the 210 specifically. I just went for one that
> supports VDPAU [0]. Despite the title on the pbtech site, the box and
> EVGA website quote it as being a "Geforce 210" not GT210 [1].

It works, its low profile, supports HDMI and mine cost me $39.

Remember its only TV.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

worik.stanton at gmail

Oct 16, 2011, 5:19 PM

Re: Quick HDMI question.... [In reply to]

On 17/10/11 11:35, rob [at] webworxshop wrote:
>> > What distro kernel are you running ?
> Nothing yet!

Aghhh!! That explains your malfunction. You will need to install a
kernel. And turn the power on.

The hippies were right

rob at webworxshop

Oct 16, 2011, 5:22 PM

Re: Quick HDMI question.... [In reply to]

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 13:19:26 +1300, Worik Stanton wrote:
>> Nothing yet!
>>
> Aghhh!! That explains your malfunction. You will need to install a
> kernel. And turn the power on.

Yes, I think I mentioned that to be tonight's job! :-)

Rob

mythicalbeast at slingshot

Oct 16, 2011, 6:24 PM

Re: Quick HDMI question.... [In reply to]

On Mon, 2011-10-17 at 13:13 +1300, criggie wrote:
> On 17/10/11 11:35, rob [at] webworxshop wrote:
> >> Will the person who recommended the GT210 own up ?
>
> > No-one recommended the 210 specifically. I just went for one that
> > supports VDPAU [0]. Despite the title on the pbtech site, the box and
> > EVGA website quote it as being a "Geforce 210" not GT210 [1].
>
> It works, its low profile, supports HDMI and mine cost me $39.
>
> Remember its only TV.

Exactly how much did you spend on the TV & any new antenna ?
The coaxial & petrol to the shop costs more than the diff between GT210
& GT220

PB Tech are importers with retail prices. The only good point is they
have a big warehouse.