Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Mythbuntu -- time issues (again)

alan.p at orcon

Oct 6, 2011, 12:20 AM

Mythbuntu -- time issues (again)

Okay, so I made sure to configure Mythbuntu to synchronise time with the
internet (picked a couple UK timeservers, on the basis that world time and
GMT is defined in terms of Greenwich.)

It still can't keep time worth a damn.

Not really an issue anymore (Dad is resigned to getting my sister to fix
the time (I moved out, but still fix the &*$# thing)), but the child
problem is that the remote frontend in the shed packs a poo when the time
on the frontend PC and the time on the backend PC is out. Nothing I've
tried fixes the clock on the backend, and I can't afford to replace the
motherboard and CPU.

Is there any way to get the remote frontend to ignore the time difference
and run mythfrontend anyway (preferable)? Or to get NTP to somehow slave on
a regular basis to the backend PC?

--
Alan Podjursky ICQ 24423014
"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

james6.0 at gmail

Oct 5, 2011, 11:43 PM

Re: Mythbuntu -- time issues (again) [In reply to]

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 8:37 PM, AlanP <alan.p [at] orcon> wrote:

> Okay, so I made sure to configure Mythbuntu to synchronise time with the
> internet (picked a couple UK timeservers, on the basis that world time and
> GMT is defined in terms of Greenwich.)

I don't really think that's much of an argument. World time is defined by
the position of the earth on it's axis, not what the time is in greenwich.
You'd be better off to pick a good stratum 1 time server in New Zealand, or
buy a GPS receiver and get it from stratum 0

criggie at criggie

Oct 6, 2011, 12:17 AM

Re: Mythbuntu -- time issues (again) [In reply to]

On 06/10/11 20:37, AlanP wrote:
> Is there any way to get the remote frontend to ignore the time difference
> and run mythfrontend anyway (preferable)? Or to get NTP to somehow slave on
> a regular basis to the backend PC?

Is the clock pooched, or is ntp severely confused and upsetting it?

You could call
ntpdate yourlocalserver
every short-time, but that's a dodgy hack. Don't do it to an internet host.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

james6.0 at gmail

Oct 6, 2011, 12:34 AM

Re: Mythbuntu -- time issues (again) [In reply to]

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 8:17 PM, criggie <criggie [at] criggie> wrote:

> On 06/10/11 20:37, AlanP wrote:
> > Is there any way to get the remote frontend to ignore the time difference
> > and run mythfrontend anyway (preferable)? Or to get NTP to somehow slave
> on
> > a regular basis to the backend PC?
>
> Is the clock pooched, or is ntp severely confused and upsetting it?
>
> You could call
> ntpdate yourlocalserver
> every short-time, but that's a dodgy hack. Don't do it to an internet
> host.

Definitely not. If you're running the ntp daemon, rather than just calling
ntpdate every now and then, it should be keeping your clock in sync and
storing drift information?

alan.p at orcon

Oct 6, 2011, 1:05 AM

Re: Mythbuntu -- time issues (again) [In reply to]

At 07:17 p.m. 6/10/2011, you wrote:
>Is the clock pooched, or is ntp severely confused and upsetting it?

I'm pretty sure by now that the motherboard clock is munted, and that it
confuses ntp terribly. Money to replace it, though, is not in the kitty :/

>You could call
> ntpdate yourlocalserver
>every short-time, but that's a dodgy hack. Don't do it to an internet host.

Yeah, I knew about that one, but thought it terribly rude to do it.

--
Alan Podjursky ICQ 24423014
"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

nick.rout at gmail

Oct 6, 2011, 12:06 PM

Re: Mythbuntu -- time issues (again) [In reply to]

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 9:34 PM, AlanP <alan.p [at] orcon> wrote:
> At 07:17 p.m. 6/10/2011, you wrote:
>>Is the clock pooched, or is ntp severely confused and upsetting it?
>
> I'm pretty sure by now that the motherboard clock is munted, and that it
> confuses ntp terribly. Money to replace it, though, is not in the kitty :/

It could easily be your drift file, if it gets an unreasonably large
figure in there things go really wrong.

1. stop ntpd
1a. change your servers to nz.pool.ntp.org. The proper approach is to
use servers close to you.
2. delete the drift file
3. run ntpdate to get the clock right
4. restart ntpd

Your hardware clock is irrelevant while the computer is running. The
kernel keeps track of the time. The hardware clock only matters when
the motherboard is turned off.

You really need the time right on the backend or you'll never record
anything at tthe right time.

On your frontend you can use the same ntp setup, or use ntpdate via
cron against your backend.

acaferacer at gmail

Oct 6, 2011, 2:08 PM

Re: Mythbuntu -- time issues (again) [In reply to]

Hi,
I know this is not specific to your problem, but..
I use dvbdate to set the time, so as I get my guide data over the air
to, my myth box does not even need a network connection.
You could run dvbdate at startup automatically.

Cheers
Bruce