Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Ion NVIDIA 330 board HDMI no longer works

olivuts at yahoo

Sep 4, 2011, 1:11 AM

Ion NVIDIA 330 board HDMI no longer works

Suddenly the HDMI output on the board no longer works. It has always worked fine previously.

I have connected a monitor via the DVI and VGA connectors and both of those work fine.

It looks like a hardware fault but if anyone has any other suggestions I would be happy to try getting it going again.

Assuming the HDMI output has failed, can I just use the DVI output, convert it to an HDMI with a DVI male to HDMI male adapter and still get video and sound to my TV's HDMI input?

Cheers

criggie at criggie

Sep 4, 2011, 1:20 AM

Re: Ion NVIDIA 330 board HDMI no longer works [In reply to]

On 04/09/11 20:11, Steve V wrote:
> Suddenly the HDMI output on the board no longer works. It has always
> worked fine previously.
> I have connected a monitor via the DVI and VGA connectors and both of
> those work fine.

So the card is okay.

> It looks like a hardware fault but if anyone has any other suggestions I
> would be happy to try getting it going again.

Do you replug it frequently? Look in the end for bent or missing pins.
Check with another cable first - they're notoriously fragile.
An HDMI cable/socket is only rated for a couple hundred plug/unplug cycles.

> Assuming the HDMI output has failed, can I just use the DVI output,
> convert it to an HDMI with a DVI male to HDMI male adapter and still get
> video and sound to my TV's HDMI input?

No idea - sounds hard work.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

markk at kc

Sep 4, 2011, 12:40 PM

Re: Ion NVIDIA 330 board HDMI no longer works [In reply to]

> > Assuming the HDMI output has failed, can I just use the DVI output,
> > convert it to an HDMI with a DVI male to HDMI male adapter and still get
> > video and sound to my TV's HDMI input?
>
> No idea - sounds hard work.

I had DVI computer out to HDMI monitor, with sound, for a little while
on my computer (GT220 I think), just worked straight away when I plugged
it in.

Mark

dmoo1790 at ihug

Sep 4, 2011, 10:19 PM

Re: Ion NVIDIA 330 board HDMI no longer works [In reply to]

On 05/09/11 07:40, Mark Kendall wrote:

>> > Assuming the HDMI output has failed, can I just use the DVI output,
>> > convert it to an HDMI with a DVI male to HDMI male adapter and still get
>> > video and sound to my TV's HDMI input?
>>
>> No idea - sounds hard work.
>>
> I had DVI computer out to HDMI monitor, with sound, for a little while
> on my computer (GT220 I think), just worked straight away when I plugged
> it in.
>
> Mark

I have an Asus EN9400GT Silent. Sound does not work over DVI-to-HDMI to
my Panasonic TV. I recall earlier discussions on this list about needing
a link from the motherboard sound to the video card.

Beware of DVI-to-HDMI converters. There are some bad ones out there that
don't seem to work with HD video. Just make sure you can return it if it
doesn't work.

David

mythicalbeast at slingshot

Sep 5, 2011, 2:39 AM

Re: Ion NVIDIA 330 board HDMI no longer works [In reply to]

> I have an Asus EN9400GT Silent. Sound does not work over DVI-to-HDMI to
> my Panasonic TV. I recall earlier discussions on this list about needing
> a link from the motherboard sound to the video card.
>
> Beware of DVI-to-HDMI converters. There are some bad ones out there that
> don't seem to work with HD video. Just make sure you can return it if it
> doesn't work.

Intel HDA codecs only appeared in the nVidia ION & 200 series.
Prior to this was the era of S/PDIF link cables.

A 19 pin HDMI is a single link DVI-D, it is invisible to the receiver; I
would expect the audio functionality of the DVI-D jack is dependent on
the PCB design.