Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

XBMC remote

hads at nice

Aug 8, 2011, 2:34 PM

XBMC remote

Hi all,

I hope this isn't too commercial, I believe it will interest a few.

I've been offered the distribution for Pulse Eight's new XBMC (will work
with MythTV of course) remote;

http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/96-motorola-nyxboard-remote-designed-for-xbmc.aspx

I think it should be pretty neat and will finally be available in the
next couple of weeks. It's plug and go with Linux.

We would have to buy at least 100 so I'm just trying to gauge interest
to see if it's worthwhile for us to do.

I guess the main sticking point is that it will be more pricey than your
average remote at around $85 inc. delivery - it does do more than your
average remote to make up for it though.

Cheers,

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand supplier of VoIP & Hobby Electronics

olivuts at yahoo

Aug 8, 2011, 3:00 PM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

> I hope this isn't too commercial, I believe it will interest a few.
>
> I've been offered the distribution for Pulse Eight's new XBMC (will work
> with MythTV of course) remote;
>
> http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/96-motorola-nyxboard-remote-designed-for-xbmc.aspx

That look great, I especially like the RF capability no need to ensure you are pointing at the TV.

acaferacer at gmail

Aug 8, 2011, 3:47 PM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

how about
http://kiiwiii.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

On 9 August 2011 10:00, Steve V <olivuts [at] yahoo> wrote:

> [...]

worik.stanton at gmail

Aug 8, 2011, 5:15 PM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

FWIW the first one (pulse eight) is good for the family and the second
the mini keyboard is good for me

But I ave and use a wireless keyboard so I would have trouble justifying
any cost fr the mini keyboard, but if the remote can make te MythTV
boxmore intuitive I would buy one as the last step of setting up my box.

cheers
Worik

On 09/08/11 10:47, Bruce Wilson wrote:
> how about
> http://kiiwiii.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51
> <http://kiiwiii.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51>
>
> On 9 August 2011 10:00, Steve V <olivuts [at] yahoo
> <mailto:olivuts [at] yahoo>> wrote:

The hippies were right

nick.rout at gmail

Aug 8, 2011, 6:49 PM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Hadley Rich <hads [at] nice> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I hope this isn't too commercial, I believe it will interest a few.
>
> I've been offered the distribution for Pulse Eight's new XBMC (will work
> with MythTV of course) remote;
>
> http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/96-motorola-nyxboard-remote-designed-for-xbmc.aspx
>
> I think it should be pretty neat and will finally be available in the
> next couple of weeks. It's plug and go with Linux.
>
> We would have to buy at least 100 so I'm just trying to gauge interest
> to see if it's worthwhile for us to do.
>
> I guess the main sticking point is that it will be more pricey than your
> average remote at around $85 inc. delivery - it does do more than your
> average remote to make up for it though.
>
> Cheers,

Count me in!

> hads
> --
> http://nicegear.co.nz
> New Zealand supplier of VoIP & Hobby Electronics

david at thistledown

Aug 9, 2011, 1:43 AM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Hadley Rich <hads [at] nice> wrote:

+1

mythicalbeast at slingshot

Aug 9, 2011, 2:27 AM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

+1 here

criggie at criggie

Aug 9, 2011, 2:44 AM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

On 09/08/11 21:27, Brett wrote:
> +1 here

Is this the new modern-speak for "me too" ?

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

steven at openmedia

Aug 9, 2011, 6:57 PM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

On Tue, August 9, 2011 8:43 pm, David Lowe wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Hadley Rich <hads [at] nice> wrote:
>>

> +1

Likewise +1 or even +2

hads at nice

Aug 9, 2011, 7:07 PM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 13:57 +1200, Steven Ellis wrote:
> Likewise +1 or even +2

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm talking with PulseEight and will
let you all know how we get on.

Cheers,

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's Open Source Hardware Supplier

james at booths

Aug 10, 2011, 11:30 AM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 09:34:36 Hadley Rich wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I hope this isn't too commercial, I believe it will interest a few.
>
> I've been offered the distribution for Pulse Eight's new XBMC (will work
> with MythTV of course) remote;
>
> http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/96-motorola-nyxboard-remote-
designed-for-xbmc.aspx

> I think it should be pretty neat and will finally be available in the
> next couple of weeks. It's plug and go with Linux.
>
> We would have to buy at least 100 so I'm just trying to gauge interest
> to see if it's worthwhile for us to do.
>
> I guess the main sticking point is that it will be more pricey than your
> average remote at around $85 inc. delivery - it does do more than your
> average remote to make up for it though.
>
> Cheers,
>
> hads
> --
> http://nicegear.co.nz
> New Zealand supplier of VoIP & Hobby Electronics

+1 or maybe 2

hads at nice

Aug 30, 2011, 2:51 AM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 14:07 +1200, Hadley Rich wrote:
> Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm talking with PulseEight and will
> let you all know how we get on.

A quick update, I've negotiated a shipment of remotes for NZ/AU as soon
as they are available. Currently looking to be late September.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
Open Source Hardware Supplier

nick.rout at gmail

Oct 3, 2011, 4:35 PM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Hadley Rich <hads [at] nice> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 14:07 +1200, Hadley Rich wrote:
>> Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm talking with PulseEight and will
>> let you all know how we get on.
>
> A quick update, I've negotiated a shipment of remotes for NZ/AU as soon
> as they are available. Currently looking to be late September.

Any news?

hads at nice

Oct 3, 2011, 4:43 PM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

On 04/10/11 12:35, Nick Rout wrote:
> Any news?

Sorry about the delay, they were meant to ship out last week but were
apparently held up by a Typhoon in China.

I've been hassling Pulse Eight and they should be arriving next week.
Will let you all know when they arrive.

Cheers,

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz

nick.rout at gmail

Oct 3, 2011, 4:54 PM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Hadley Rich <hads [at] nice> wrote:
> On 04/10/11 12:35, Nick Rout wrote:
>> Any news?
>
> Sorry about the delay, they were meant to ship out last week but were
> apparently held up by a Typhoon in China.
>
> I've been hassling Pulse Eight and they should be arriving next week.
> Will let you all know when they arrive.

Ta, pulsde eight also have these groovy looking things, i am all for
doing away with too many remotes:

http://pulse-eight.com/store/products/104-usb-hdmi-cec-adapter.aspx

hads at nice

Oct 3, 2011, 4:57 PM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

On 04/10/11 12:54, Nick Rout wrote:
> Ta, pulsde eight also have these groovy looking things, i am all for
> doing away with too many remotes:
>
> http://pulse-eight.com/store/products/104-usb-hdmi-cec-adapter.aspx

Yeah they are neat looking aren't they. I'll be looking at bringing some
of those in with our next order - they weren't finished when I placed
the original order.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz

nick.rout at gmail

Oct 3, 2011, 5:05 PM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Hadley Rich <hads [at] nice> wrote:
> On 04/10/11 12:54, Nick Rout wrote:
>> Ta, pulsde eight also have these groovy looking things, i am all for
>> doing away with too many remotes:
>>
>> http://pulse-eight.com/store/products/104-usb-hdmi-cec-adapter.aspx
>
> Yeah they are neat looking aren't they. I'll be looking at bringing some
> of those in with our next order - they weren't finished when I placed
> the original order.

I just queried about support on the mythtv-users list

criggie at criggie

Oct 3, 2011, 5:05 PM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

Hadley Rich wrote, On 10/04/2011 12:43 PM:
> ...they were meant to ship out last week but were apparently held up
> by a Typhoon in China.

Damn those tea drinkers and their vintage brands.

Or are the local pirates equipped with WW2-era fighter-bombers ?

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

mhamel at emptycloud

Oct 3, 2011, 9:12 PM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

On 4/10/2011, at 1:05 PM, Criggie wrote:

> Hadley Rich wrote, On 10/04/2011 12:43 PM:
>> ...they were meant to ship out last week but were apparently held up
>> by a Typhoon in China.
>
> Damn those tea drinkers and their vintage brands.
>
> Or are the local pirates equipped with WW2-era fighter-bombers ?

Incorrectly identified if so; the Typhoon never served in the Far East. Someone probably mistook a Tempest Mk V for one.

Sorry, couldn't resist...

---
Michael Hamel

criggie at criggie

Oct 3, 2011, 10:39 PM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

On 04/10/11 17:12, Michael Hamel wrote:

> On 4/10/2011, at 1:05 PM, Criggie wrote:
>
>> Hadley Rich wrote, On 10/04/2011 12:43 PM:
>>> ...they were meant to ship out last week but were apparently held up
>>> by a Typhoon in China.
>>
>> Damn those tea drinkers and their vintage brands.
>>
>> Or are the local pirates equipped with WW2-era fighter-bombers ?
>
> Incorrectly identified if so; the Typhoon never served in the Far East. Someone probably mistook a Tempest Mk V for one.
> Sorry, couldn't resist...

Just cos it wasn't there in the 40s doesn't mean they couldn't buy one
on ebay and get it shipped.

Noone remembers typhoon tea... But now we're getting a bit OT.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

hads at nice

Oct 10, 2011, 7:50 PM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

On 04/10/11 12:43, Hadley Rich wrote:
> Sorry about the delay, they were meant to ship out last week but were
> apparently held up by a Typhoon in China.
>
> I've been hassling Pulse Eight and they should be arriving next week.
> Will let you all know when they arrive.

We've just received the first shipment of these today.

I've been playing with one on our system here and it appears to work
well. The i (INFO) key isn't mapped but everything else works correctly
in XBMC.

Things will need re-mapping to work in mythtv, the navigation works by
default.

They have a MC/TV button which switches between the default and a fully
programmable IR remote. I successfully programmed it to do the volume on
the receiver.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz

nick.rout at gmail

Oct 10, 2011, 8:27 PM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Hadley Rich <hads [at] nice> wrote:
> On 04/10/11 12:43, Hadley Rich wrote:
>> Sorry about the delay, they were meant to ship out last week but were
>> apparently held up by a Typhoon in China.
>>
>> I've been hassling Pulse Eight and they should be arriving next week.
>> Will let you all know when they arrive.
>
> We've just received the first shipment of these today.
>
> I've been playing with one on our system here and it appears to work
> well. The i (INFO) key isn't mapped but everything else works correctly
> in XBMC.
>
> Things will need re-mapping to work in mythtv, the navigation works by
> default.
>
> They have a MC/TV button which switches between the default and a fully
> programmable IR remote. I successfully programmed it to do the volume on
> the receiver.

Was I the first to order?

hads at nice

Oct 10, 2011, 8:54 PM

Re: XBMC remote [In reply to]

On Tue, 2011-10-11 at 16:27 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
> Was I the first to order?

You were the first after my email, the 5th overall.

hads