Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Mac mini

 

 

MythTV mythtvnz RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


steve at greengecko

Jun 10, 2011, 4:23 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1057 views)
Permalink
Mac mini

I've got this Mac Mini sitting around, and see that there's plenty of
stuff on the wiki on running it on a Mac. However, would like any real
world experience of running one as a frontend.

Hardware's a 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB mem, 1TB disk, running Mac OS X
Server 10.6.7 atm.

Cheers,

Steve


--
Steve Holdoway BSc(Hons) MNZCS <steve [at] greengecko>
http://www.greengecko.co.nz
MSN: steve [at] greengecko
Skype: sholdowa
Attachments: smime.p7s (6.39 KB)


criggie at criggie

Jun 10, 2011, 6:51 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1047 views)
Permalink
Re: Mac mini [In reply to]

On 11/06/11 11:23, Steve Holdoway wrote:
> I've got this Mac Mini sitting around, and see that there's plenty of
> stuff on the wiki on running it on a Mac. However, would like any real
> world experience of running one as a frontend.
>
> Hardware's a 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB mem, 1TB disk, running Mac OS X
> Server 10.6.7 atm.


I've got a 20" frankenimac which was assembled from some dead ones.

2.4 core2duo with 2GB and OSX 10.6.3

Lots of info at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Mac_OS_X

I downloaded
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/MythFrontend-0.24.1-fixes-intel-10.6v0.24.1-9-g3657f31-dirty.dmg/download
and it just runs. Choose location, address of backend, and it was away
laughing.

Two problems so far
1) Live TV is fine, recordings are fine, but the database says that
videos are found at /shared/television/mythtv so the mac can't find
them. Probably needs a frontend specific address like smb:/server/share/
2) Themes don't work... you get the default brown one and it won't change.


Has anyone used the "apple remote" with mythfrontend? I don't have one
but it should work fine.


Intel macs are interesting beasts.... I booted XP home's installer, and
freeBSD was quite happy too. Knoppix 6.4.4 messed up the screen badly
but still worked in text mode.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


mythtvnz at hotblack

Jun 12, 2011, 12:52 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1031 views)
Permalink
Re: Mac mini [In reply to]

On 11/06/2011, at 1:51 PM, criggie wrote:

> On 11/06/11 11:23, Steve Holdoway wrote:
>> I've got this Mac Mini sitting around, and see that there's plenty of
>> stuff on the wiki on running it on a Mac. However, would like any real
>> world experience of running one as a frontend.
>>
>> Hardware's a 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB mem, 1TB disk, running Mac OS X
>> Server 10.6.7 atm.
>
>
> I've got a 20" frankenimac which was assembled from some dead ones.
>
> 2.4 core2duo with 2GB and OSX 10.6.3
>
> Lots of info at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Mac_OS_X
>
> I downloaded
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/MythFrontend-0.24.1-fixes-intel-10.6v0.24.1-9-g3657f31-dirty.dmg/download
> and it just runs. Choose location, address of backend, and it was away
> laughing.
>
> Two problems so far
> 1) Live TV is fine, recordings are fine, but the database says that
> videos are found at /shared/television/mythtv so the mac can't find
> them. Probably needs a frontend specific address like smb:/server/share/
> 2) Themes don't work... you get the default brown one and it won't change.
>
>
> Has anyone used the "apple remote" with mythfrontend? I don't have one
> but it should work fine.
>
>
> Intel macs are interesting beasts.... I booted XP home's installer, and
> freeBSD was quite happy too. Knoppix 6.4.4 messed up the screen badly
> but still worked in text mode.


I'm running 2 different minis as frontends. One is a 1.83 Core 2 Duo and the other a 1.66 Core 2 Duo. I'm only running 0.23 on my backend and the frontends came via The Sniderpad ( http://www.thesniderpad.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=42 )

All my material is SD via DVB-S and a PVR-350 and even though there isn't any real hardware acceleration they both run fine, and I even have yadif deinterlacing running on the 1.83 outputting at 1920x1080 to a 32" Sony LCD TV via DVI to HDMI. The 1.66 is outputting S-Video to a 32" widescreen CRT. A bit hard to read for iTunes, but works fine for Myth and Frontrow.

I haven't tried 0.24 so can't comment on criggies problems, but I have no issues with themes once they have been copied to the correct location inside the app bundle ( MythFrontend.app/Contents/Resources/share/mythtv/themes/ )

As far as MythVideo, my files are stored at /storage/videos/ and I have used Disk Utility to set up a NFS mount from my Myth box.

nfs://mymythbox.local/storage/videos /Network/Myth/videos

This mounts the videos directory on the Mac at /Network/Myth/videos. I've then set up a symlink from /Network/Myth/videos to /storage/videos. This has kept MythVideo happy, and all my files play quite nicely.

On the remote front, I tried the Apple Remote but 6 buttons is a pain. To access somethings you have to hold a button (so in essence you get 12 in total) but that isn't nice to use. So I've gone with a Harmony remote and Remote Buddy ( http://www.iospirit.com/ ). Each Apple Remote actually has an ID ( 0-255 ) and you can tell your remote to change it's ID to the next in the sequence. I used the harmony software to learn the 6 buttons of my remote, then changed the ID and learnt the next 6. I did this til I had enough buttons to map all the controls I wanted (6 in the end I think) then used Remote Buddy to map those to the Myth keys. Absolute pain and I wouldn't want to do it again, but I'm happy with the results. I have a full featured remote including numeric keys and it works as well as the MCE remote on my main Myth box.

End result we've got a nice quiet low power frontend in the bed room with Myth, which also runs iTunes to keep my g/f happy.

- Wade


_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


stugo at xtra

Jun 15, 2011, 1:57 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1017 views)
Permalink
Re: blue ray play back info [In reply to]

Hi Guys need some help
I am looking at fitting a Asus br - 04b2t blue ray player into my box.
I have done a little bit of reading but I am still unclear if I am going
to be able to get the working easily from inside mythtv.
Any real life experience and pointer would be great.
Will be fitting above unit into
silvestone case
2gig dual core box- 2gig ram
600 w zalman p/ supply
asus gt220 vid/card
ded/sound with digital coax sound out( old card not sure of model)
running on mythbuntu 10.4 and .23mythtv

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/


nick.rout at gmail

Jun 15, 2011, 2:10 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1023 views)
Permalink
Re: blue ray play back info [In reply to]

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 8:57 AM, stuart <stugo [at] xtra> wrote:
>
>
> Hi Guys need some help
>  I am looking at fitting a Asus br - 04b2t blue ray player into my box.
> I have done a little bit of reading but I am still unclear if I am going
> to be able to get the working easily from inside mythtv.
>  Any real life experience and pointer would be great.
>  Will be fitting above unit into
>  silvestone case
>  2gig dual core box- 2gig ram
> 600 w zalman p/ supply
> asus gt220 vid/card
> ded/sound with digital coax sound out( old card not sure of model)
>  running on mythbuntu 10.4 and .23mythtv

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/High_Definition_Disk_Formats

Why are you still running 0.23?

_______________________________________________
mythtvnz mailing list
mythtvnz [at] lists
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/

MythTV mythtvnz RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.