Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

HDMI handshake

pshem.k at gmail

Jun 3, 2011, 9:00 PM

HDMI handshake

Hi,

I have a small (but annoying) problem with mythtv setup. At this stage
I have a single FE/BE machine (with Nvidia 8200) connected over HDMI
cable to my Samsung UA40C6900. Everything works like a charm, except
when the frontend crashes. After it comes back there is no sound
through the TV any more. Mythtv thinks that its all ok and sound is
there, so does mplayer and every other piece of software that tries to
output sound. The only way to fix it is to reboot the machine, which
is not really elegant (and not always doable, if there is recording
going on). Google suggests it might have something to do with HDMI
handshake not working properly, but pulling out the HDMI cable,
turning the TV off/on does not help either. I tried rmmod/modprobe
nvidia drivers (270.41.19), sound modules - to no avail.
Any idea if this can be fixed (and how)?

kind regards
Pshem

nick.rout at gmail

Jun 3, 2011, 10:46 PM

Re: HDMI handshake [In reply to]

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Pshem Kowalczyk <pshem.k [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a small (but annoying) problem with mythtv setup. At this stage
> I have a single FE/BE machine (with Nvidia 8200) connected over HDMI
> cable to my Samsung UA40C6900. Everything works like a charm, except
> when the frontend crashes. After it comes back there is no sound
> through the TV any more. Mythtv thinks that its all ok and sound is
> there, so does mplayer and every other piece of software that tries to
> output sound. The only way to fix it is to reboot the machine, which
> is not really elegant (and not always doable, if there is recording
> going on). Google suggests it might have something to do with HDMI
> handshake not working properly, but pulling out the HDMI cable,
> turning the TV off/on does not help either. I tried rmmod/modprobe
> nvidia drivers (270.41.19), sound modules - to no avail.
> Any idea if this can be fixed (and how)?

Have you tried restarting X and/or alsa?

pshem.k at gmail

Jun 4, 2011, 12:39 AM

Re: HDMI handshake [In reply to]

Hi,

> Have you tried restarting X and/or alsa?

Yes, both restarting and even removing all the relevant modules from
the kernel. I have found information on some forums that this might
have stopped working somewhere around 195.x.x drivers.
I suspect it's an incompatibility between the card and the TV. Crash
of the frontend (and shutdown of X as result) seems to be the trigger.

kind regards
Pshem

criggie at criggie

Jun 4, 2011, 12:50 AM

Re: HDMI handshake [In reply to]

On 04/06/11 19:39, Pshem Kowalczyk wrote:
> Crash of the frontend (and shutdown of X as result) seems to be the trigger.

So, what causes the frontend to crash?

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

pshem.k at gmail

Jun 4, 2011, 1:21 AM

Re: HDMI handshake [In reply to]

On 4 June 2011 19:50, criggie <criggie [at] criggie> wrote:
> On 04/06/11 19:39, Pshem Kowalczyk wrote:
>> Crash of the frontend (and shutdown of X as result) seems to be the trigger.
>
> So, what causes the frontend to crash?

I can see the frontend process getting fatter and fatter (memory-wise)
and somewhere around 2G it just crashes. Most often while watching a
recording or a local file. Whatever memory leak it has - ultimately it
kills it.

I'm running gentoo with mythtv 0.24. I have tried various git versions
over the last few months, but ultimately it either gets very slow to
respond or just simply crashes.

kind regards
Pshem

criggie at criggie

Jun 4, 2011, 1:55 AM

Re: HDMI handshake [In reply to]

On 04/06/11 20:21, Pshem Kowalczyk wrote:
> On 4 June 2011 19:50, criggie<criggie [at] criggie> wrote:
>> So, what causes the frontend to crash?
>
> I can see the frontend process getting fatter and fatter (memory-wise)
> and somewhere around 2G it just crashes. Most often while watching a
> recording or a local file. Whatever memory leak it has - ultimately it
> kills it.
> I'm running gentoo with mythtv 0.24. I have tried various git versions
> over the last few months, but ultimately it either gets very slow to
> respond or just simply crashes.

So your two-pronged approach should be

1) stop the frontend from crashing
Try doing that gentoo thing where you recompile with different flags
till it works...

2) allow the HDMI to work again after a crash.
Have you tried making the frontend crash while its attached to a
different HDMI capable device? Even to take your mythbox to someone
else's place for a diagnosis.

Good luck!

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

tdegibson at gmail

Jun 4, 2011, 2:02 AM

Re: HDMI handshake [In reply to]

Regards
Tim Gibson
Mobile: 028 2580 1104 Twitter: NZtimbo
On 4 Jun 2011 20:56, "criggie" <criggie [at] criggie> wrote:
> On 04/06/11 20:21, Pshem Kowalczyk wrote:
>> On 4 June 2011 19:50, criggie<criggie [at] criggie> wrote:
>>> So, what causes the frontend to crash?
>>
>> I can see the frontend process getting fatter and fatter (memory-wise)
>> and somewhere around 2G it just crashes. Most often while watching a
>> recording or a local file. Whatever memory leak it has - ultimately it
>> kills it.
>> I'm running gentoo with mythtv 0.24. I have tried various git versions
>> over the last few months, but ultimately it either gets very slow to
>> respond or just simply crashes.
>
> So your two-pronged approach should be
>
> 1) stop the frontend from crashing
> Try doing that gentoo thing where you recompile with different flags
> till it works...
>
> 2) allow the HDMI to work again after a crash.
> Have you tried making the frontend crash while its attached to a
> different HDMI capable device? Even to take your mythbox to someone
> else's place for a diagnosis.
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> Criggie
>
> http://criggie.org.nz/

pshem.k at gmail

Jun 4, 2011, 2:04 AM

Re: HDMI handshake [In reply to]

Hi,

On 4 June 2011 20:55, criggie <criggie [at] criggie> wrote:
{cut}

> So your two-pronged approach should be
>
> 1) stop the frontend from crashing
> Try doing that gentoo thing where you recompile with different flags
> till it works...

I just figured out another potential workaround - make sure that when
the frontend crashes X stays online :-) I'll test that and see what
happens (if it's X or frontend that's killing sound).

> 2) allow the HDMI to work again after a crash.
> Have you tried making the frontend crash while its attached to a
> different HDMI capable device?  Even to take your mythbox to someone
> else's place for a diagnosis.

Tried that (with some new Sony TV) could not get any audio whatsoever
:-( Ultimately I have to get it going with my TV anyway. But I found
out that nvidia will disable audio if it thinks that the other side
can't support it (or that particular format), so perhaps it's TV that
breaks the handshake.

> Good luck!

Thanks, I'll undoubtedly need it ;-)

kind regards
Pshem

tdegibson at gmail

Jun 4, 2011, 2:09 AM

Re: HDMI handshake [In reply to]

Lets do that again...

Hi Pshem

I to am using Gentoo but ~x86, what portage overlay are you using?

I'd agree make sure you're using same compile flags and recompile all of
mythtv even qt and ffmpeg. Start mythfrontend with more a verbose log and
see if theres any more info in there...

Regards
Tim Gibson
Mobile: 028 2580 1104 Twitter: NZtimbo
On 4 Jun 2011 20:56, "criggie" <criggie [at] criggie> wrote:
> On 04/06/11 20:21, Pshem Kowalczyk wrote:
>> On 4 June 2011 19:50, criggie<criggie [at] criggie> wrote:
>>> So, what causes the frontend to crash?
>>
>> I can see the frontend process getting fatter and fatter (memory-wise)
>> and somewhere around 2G it just crashes. Most often while watching a
>> recording or a local file. Whatever memory leak it has - ultimately it
>> kills it.
>> I'm running gentoo with mythtv 0.24. I have tried various git versions
>> over the last few months, but ultimately it either gets very slow to
>> respond or just simply crashes.
>
> So your two-pronged approach should be
>
> 1) stop the frontend from crashing
> Try doing that gentoo thing where you recompile with different flags
> till it works...
>
> 2) allow the HDMI to work again after a crash.
> Have you tried making the frontend crash while its attached to a
> different HDMI capable device? Even to take your mythbox to someone
> else's place for a diagnosis.
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> Criggie
>
> http://criggie.org.nz/

g8ecj at gilks

Jun 4, 2011, 3:13 AM

Re: HDMI handshake [In reply to]

> On 4 Jun 2011 20:56, "criggie" <criggie [at] criggie> wrote:
>>>
>>> I can see the frontend process getting fatter and fatter (memory-wise)
>>> and somewhere around 2G it just crashes. Most often while watching a
>>> recording or a local file. Whatever memory leak it has - ultimately it
>>> kills it.
>>> I'm running gentoo with mythtv 0.24. I have tried various git versions
>>> over the last few months, but ultimately it either gets very slow to
>>> respond or just simply crashes.
>>
>> So your two-pronged approach should be
>>
>> 1) stop the frontend from crashing
>> Try doing that gentoo thing where you recompile with different flags
>> till it works...
>>
>> 2) allow the HDMI to work again after a crash.
>> Have you tried making the frontend crash while its attached to a
>> different HDMI capable device? Even to take your mythbox to someone
>> else's place for a diagnosis.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
> Lets do that again...
>
> Hi Pshem
>
> I to am using Gentoo but ~x86, what portage overlay are you using?
>
> I'd agree make sure you're using same compile flags and recompile all of
> mythtv even qt and ffmpeg. Start mythfrontend with more a verbose log and
> see if theres any more info in there...
>
> Regards
> Tim Gibson
> Mobile: 028 2580 1104 Twitter: NZtimbo

Top posting corrected, footers trimmed....

I'm also running Gentoo and not seeing any crashes like that. Many moons
ago I found that firing up alsamixer and muting then unmuting a few
controls (especially the spdif ones) always got lost audio back.

I'm using the git portage stuff which I last emerged on 25th May and it
gives me the following:
MythTV Version : v0.24.1-1-g347cd24
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.24
Network Protocol : 63
Library API : 0.24.20110505-1
QT Version : 4.7.2
Options compiled in:
linux release using_alsa using_oss using_backend using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_dvb using_frontend using_hdhomerun
using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv using_lirc using_mheg
using_opengl_video using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus using_qtwebkit
using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau
using_ffmpeg_threads using_live using_mheg

Been up for 7 days as of this writing without problems on a 2G diskless
(and hence swapless) Zotac board.

--
Robin Gilks

pshem.k at gmail

Jun 4, 2011, 3:45 AM

Re: HDMI handshake [In reply to]

Hi,

On 4 June 2011 22:13, Robin Gilks <g8ecj [at] gilks> wrote:

>> Lets do that again...
>>
>> Hi Pshem
>>
>> I to am using Gentoo but ~x86, what portage overlay are you using?

I'm using layman/mt-mythtv. My system is heavily ~amd64 on the
applications side, but core packages (glibc, qt etc) are all amd64.
I'm running with no multilib - pure 64bit environment. Roughly every 3
months I re-compile the whole world (takes some time ;-) ), to make
sure that everything is where it should be.

>> I'd agree make sure you're using same compile flags and recompile all of
>> mythtv even qt and ffmpeg.  Start mythfrontend with more a verbose log and
>> see if theres any more info in there...

Done, collecting data already :-)

> Top posting corrected, footers trimmed....
>
> I'm also running Gentoo and not seeing any crashes like that. Many moons
> ago I found that firing up alsamixer and muting then unmuting a few
> controls (especially the spdif ones) always got lost audio back.
>
> I'm using the git portage stuff which I last emerged on 25th May and it
> gives me the following:
> MythTV Version   : v0.24.1-1-g347cd24
> MythTV Branch    : fixes/0.24
> Network Protocol : 63
> Library API      : 0.24.20110505-1
> QT Version       : 4.7.2
> Options compiled in:
>  linux release using_alsa using_oss using_backend using_bindings_perl
> using_bindings_python using_dvb using_frontend using_hdhomerun
> using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv using_lirc using_mheg
> using_opengl_video using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus using_qtwebkit
> using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_bindings_perl
> using_bindings_python using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau
> using_ffmpeg_threads using_live using_mheg
>
> Been up for 7 days as of this writing without problems on a 2G diskless
> (and hence swapless) Zotac board.

I word of correction, I'm actually running 0.25-pre:

MythTV Version : v0.25pre-2102-gfeafcfc-dirty
MythTV Branch : tree-feafcfc82190e8ed3f70c606a40562c643b6843a
Network Protocol : 66
Library API : 0.25.20110522-1
QT Version : 4.7.2
Options compiled in:
linux release use_hidesyms using_alsa using_backend
using_bindings_php using_dvb using_frontend using_libxml2 using_libudf
using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video using_qtdbus using_qtwebkit
using_v4l2 using_v4l1 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau
using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2
using_libudf

As I said - I'm not too concerned about those crashes - I used to have
them on many previous versions as well (which might suggest a deeper
problem, probably memory). At this stage getting the audio back
reliably without full reload is the key.

kind regards
Pshem

pshem.k at gmail

Jun 4, 2011, 5:01 AM

Re: HDMI handshake [In reply to]

Hi,

Another update - the issue with sound is definitely caused by the
nvidia card/driver. After modifying .xinitrc to respawn frontend
process after it dies (and not rely on init to respawn the whole X)
restarting frontend (crash will have to wait for now) does not break
audio. Restarting whole X - breaks it.

I have also found quite interesting document on the internals of HDMI
on nvidia cards:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hdmi-audio-document/gpu-hdmi-audio.html

kind regards
Pshem