Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Tevii DVB-S2 - S464

darrin_nelson at het

Tevii DVB-S2 - S464

I have just completed my installation of MythTv using a Tevii DVB-S2 PCI card, model
S464.

I am a newbie to MythTV so the installation took me a good number of hours to
complete as I had to scour the web for information and believe me there is plenty
out there, also alot which isn't relevant. I installed on Ubuntu 10.04.

I did waste alot of time trying to get the Tevii remote control to work. Eventually
I cut my losses and went our and brought a MCEusb ($50 NZD). I got that working in
about 30 minutes. That was a milestone as you have to be able to control the box
from the couch.

Now to enjoy my creation and win the wife over with it.

If anyone is trying to install the same, feel free to email me and I will glady
share the details on my setup, as best I can.

Cheers Darrin

nick.rout at gmail

Re: Tevii DVB-S2 - S464 [In reply to]

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Darrin Nelson <darrin_nelson [at] het> wrote:
> I have just completed my installation of MythTv using a Tevii DVB-S2 PCI card, model
> S464.
>
> I am a newbie to MythTV so the installation took me a good number of hours to
> complete as I had to scour the web for information and believe me there is plenty
> out there, also alot which isn't relevant. I installed on Ubuntu 10.04.
>
> I did waste alot of time trying to get the Tevii remote control to work. Eventually
> I cut my losses and went our and brought a MCEusb ($50 NZD). I got that working in
> about 30 minutes. That was a milestone as you have to be able to control the box
> from the couch.
>
> Now to enjoy my creation and win the wife over with it.
>
> If anyone is trying to install the same, feel free to email me and I will glady
> share the details on my setup, as best I can.

well done and welcome to the fold :-)

steven at openmedia

Re: Tevii DVB-S2 - S464 [In reply to]

On Tue, May 3, 2011 11:35 am, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Darrin Nelson <darrin_nelson [at] het>
> wrote:
>> I have just completed my installation of MythTv using a Tevii DVB-S2 PCI
>> card, model
>> S464.
>>
>> I am a newbie to MythTV so the installation took me a good number of
>> hours to
>> complete as I had to scour the web for information and believe me there
>> is plenty
>> out there, also alot which isn't relevant. I installed on Ubuntu 10.04..
>>
>> I did waste alot of time trying to get the Tevii remote control to work.
>> Eventually
>> I cut my losses and went our and brought a MCEusb ($50 NZD). I got that
>> working in
>> about 30 minutes. That was a milestone as you have to be able to control
>> the box
>> from the couch.
>>
>> Now to enjoy my creation and win the wife over with it.
>>
>> If anyone is trying to install the same, feel free to email me and I
>> will glady
>> share the details on my setup, as best I can.
>
> well done and welcome to the fold :-)

Hi Darrin.

Great to hear you are up and running. I do have a couple of questions.

1. Where did you get the Tevil card through and is it PCI or PCIe?
2. Are you able to pick up and DVB-S2 signals, in particular the Channel 9
transponder on Optus D1?
3. Was it reasonably painless to setup in the end, or a bit of a chore?

Cheers

Steve

darrin_nelson at het

Re: Tevii DVB-S2 - S464 [In reply to]

~
~> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Darrin Nelson <darrin_nelson [at] het>
~>> I have just completed my installation of MythTv using a Tevii DVB-S2 PCI
~>> card, model
~>> S464.
~>>
[...]
~>
~> well done and welcome to the fold :-)
~
~ Hi Darrin.
~
~ Great to hear you are up and running. I do have a couple of questions.
~
~ 1. Where did you get the Tevil card through and is it PCI or PCIe?
~ 2. Are you able to pick up and DVB-S2 signals, in particular the Channel 9
~ transponder on Optus D1?
~ 3. Was it reasonably painless to setup in the end, or a bit of a chore?
~
~ Cheers
~
~ Steve
~
~ --------------------------------------------
~ Steven Ellis - Technical Director
~ OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
~ email - steven [at] openmedia
~ website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz
~ ------------------------------
Steve

I purchased the card through the DVBShop in Germany. Here is the link for the card
on their site:

http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info.php/info/p2317_TeVii-S464-DVB-S2-HDTV-PCI-Diseqc-1-2-2-0-Low-profile.html

Pretty sure its a PCIe card. What drove my choice was that I was looking for a low
profile card.

Setup was relatively painless, there were a couple of things that tripped me up
along the way, only because I was newbie.

In retrospect I should have purchased the dual tuner model, but I wasn't sure how it
was going to go.

Currently I have only tuned in the NZ freeview channels which aren't S2. I won't try
scanning for them for a few weeks. I want to let the family use the system for a
while before I stuff around with it again.

Cheers Darrin