Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Personal opinion - be careful about updating to natty

nick.rout at gmail

Personal opinion - be careful about updating to natty

I am a mythbuntu user myself, but gotta say that at time of writing 9
out of 20 threads on the mythbuntu forums front page relate to natty
problems:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=301

Take care out there :)

james at booths

Re: Personal opinion - be careful about updating to natty [In reply to]

Tell me about it... Just finished doing a fresh install of Natty on my desktop
PC after the in-line upgrade self-destructed. Will leave my Myth machines
alone for now.

Now that it is installed apart from some major problems with Brother printer
drivers (what's new there) it seems to be running very nicely.

On Mon, 02 May 2011 14:23:01 Nick Rout wrote:
> I am a mythbuntu user myself, but gotta say that at time of writing 9
> out of 20 threads on the mythbuntu forums front page relate to natty
> problems:
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=301
>
> Take care out there :)

joel at aenertia

Re: Personal opinion - be careful about updating to natty [In reply to]

Hrm,

I just finished upgrading my htpc backend with no issues.

I don't use the upgrade manager. My prefered method is (and trusted and tried).

remove non standard ppas/rep's.

aptitude dist-upgrade -f

-->removes crap...

then edit /etc/apt/source.list - and change to the desired release.

then apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

and finally

aptitude -f install

works a charm.

On 2 May 2011 14:35, James Booth <james [at] booths> wrote:
> Tell me about it... Just finished doing a fresh install of Natty on my
> desktop PC after the in-line upgrade self-destructed. Will leave my Myth
> machines alone for now.
>
> Now that it is installed apart from some major problems with Brother printer
> drivers (what's new there) it seems to be running very nicely.
>
> On Mon, 02 May 2011 14:23:01 Nick Rout wrote:
>
>> I am a mythbuntu user myself, but gotta say that at time of writing 9
>
>> out of 20 threads on the mythbuntu forums front page relate to natty
>
>> problems:
>

>> http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=301
>

>> Take care out there :)

g.woollett at irl

Re: Personal opinion - be careful about updating to natty [In reply to]

My 2 cents -
I remember all too well the botched upgrades and teething problems with
new ( or minor) releases of Ubuntu.
I now stick with the LTS releases and saved myself a lot of pain. 8-)

64 4 931 3193
email g.woollett [at] irl

nick.rout at gmail

Re: Personal opinion - be careful about updating to natty [In reply to]

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Graeme Woollett <g.woollett [at] irl> wrote:
> My 2 cents -
> I remember all too well the botched upgrades and teething problems with
> new ( or minor) releases of Ubuntu.
> I now stick with the LTS releases and saved myself a lot of pain. 8-)

That's my intention with my myth boxes (those that are still useful
that is, looking forward to a new insurance paid TV so I can put the
second FE to good use again!)

markk at kc

Re: Personal opinion - be careful about updating to natty [In reply to]

Did a workstation/front end on the weekend and ran into a few new
problems

1) xorg wouldn't upgrade first time around, upgraded it after the dist
upgrade and then dpkg --configure -a to fix things up.
2) udev rule to give imon remote a consisitent /dev/input/remote symlink
stopped working
3) system won't reboot properly, shuts down ok though.
4) Disk checking on start on one of my partitions is happening regularly
5) Some minor screen setup issues
6) Some sort of segfault and lockup was happening every now and again
(and may still be) early on in boot. I'm hoping that this may relate to
lirc and the changing device and that it's gone away.

Existing issue not resolved
No sound over hdmi, this worked for a while in the deep past and after
trying all sorts of options I'm wondering now if it may be an EDID
issue.

Mark

stephen_agent at jsw

Re: Personal opinion - be careful about updating to natty [In reply to]

On Mon, 2 May 2011 14:41:41 +1200, you wrote:

>My 2 cents -
>I remember all too well the botched upgrades and teething problems with
>new ( or minor) releases of Ubuntu.
>I now stick with the LTS releases and saved myself a lot of pain. 8-)
>
>64 4 931 3193
>email g.woollett [at] irl

Unfortunately, I need the new kernel to run my TeVii DVB-S2 card to
get Sky EPG. At the moment, I have to reboot to a newer kernel than
10.04 to do that, then reboot back to 10.04. 10.10 caused kernel
OOPes for me, so I have not been running that either - I had to get an
older mainline kernel to make 10.10 work without doing that. So I am
hoping that 11.04 will have fixed both - an alpha version I tried
seemed OK. But I am going to run it on a test partition first, before
I try upgrading from 10.04.

So does anyone know if you can upgrade directly from 10.04 to 11.04,
or if you have to do the 10.10 upgrade first? And how would I try to
get 10.04 to upgrade to 11.04 directly? It is still only offering the
10.10 upgrade in Update Manager.

nick.rout at gmail

Re: Personal opinion - be careful about updating to natty [In reply to]

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent [at] jsw> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 May 2011 14:41:41 +1200, you wrote:
>
>>My 2 cents -
>>I remember all too well the botched upgrades and teething problems with
>>new ( or minor) releases of Ubuntu.
>>I now stick with the LTS releases and saved myself a lot of pain. 8-)
>>
>>64 4 931 3193
>>email g.woollett [at] irl
>
> Unfortunately, I need the new kernel to run my TeVii DVB-S2 card to
> get Sky EPG.  At the moment, I have to reboot to a newer kernel than
> 10.04 to do that, then reboot back to 10.04.  10.10 caused kernel
> OOPes for me, so I have not been running that either - I had to get an
> older mainline kernel to make 10.10 work without doing that.  So I am
> hoping that 11.04 will have fixed both - an alpha version I tried
> seemed OK.  But I am going to run it on a test partition first, before
> I try upgrading from 10.04.
>
> So does anyone know if you can upgrade directly from 10.04 to 11.04,
> or if you have to do the 10.10 upgrade first?  And how would I try to
> get 10.04 to upgrade to 11.04 directly?  It is still only offering the
> 10.10 upgrade in Update Manager.

I understand the only supported upgrades are from one release to the
next, or from one LTS to the next LTS (although that failed for me
last time).

Best advice I can give is make sure you have a backup of your
mythconverg database and can do a fresh install without deleting your
data.

stephen_agent at jsw

Re: Personal opinion - be careful about updating to natty [In reply to]

On Mon, 2 May 2011 15:27:28 +1200, you wrote:

>On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Stephen Worthington
><stephen_agent [at] jsw> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 May 2011 14:41:41 +1200, you wrote:
>>
>>>My 2 cents -
>>>I remember all too well the botched upgrades and teething problems with
>>>new ( or minor) releases of Ubuntu.
>>>I now stick with the LTS releases and saved myself a lot of pain. 8-)
>>>
>>>64 4 931 3193
>>>email g.woollett [at] irl
>>
>> Unfortunately, I need the new kernel to run my TeVii DVB-S2 card to
>> get Sky EPG.  At the moment, I have to reboot to a newer kernel than
>> 10.04 to do that, then reboot back to 10.04.  10.10 caused kernel
>> OOPes for me, so I have not been running that either - I had to get an
>> older mainline kernel to make 10.10 work without doing that.  So I am
>> hoping that 11.04 will have fixed both - an alpha version I tried
>> seemed OK.  But I am going to run it on a test partition first, before
>> I try upgrading from 10.04.
>>
>> So does anyone know if you can upgrade directly from 10.04 to 11.04,
>> or if you have to do the 10.10 upgrade first?  And how would I try to
>> get 10.04 to upgrade to 11.04 directly?  It is still only offering the
>> 10.10 upgrade in Update Manager.
>
>I understand the only supported upgrades are from one release to the
>next, or from one LTS to the next LTS (although that failed for me
>last time).
>
>Best advice I can give is make sure you have a backup of your
>mythconverg database and can do a fresh install without deleting your
>data.

I normally use clonezilla to backup the entire partition before doing
anything major to the production partition. That way I can get the
working system back again in only 15 minutes if necessary. I have 4
hard drives and 6 bootable partitions on my MythTV box to play with so
I can just do a clean install to a new partition and restore the
database to that, if that seems the best way to upgrade. There are
always a myriad of config files to copy when I do that, but it is
guaranteed to work, where upgrading does not always.

As my 10.04 is running MythTV 0.24-fixes, I could actually run an
11.04 partition in parallel with 10.04 until I am confident it is all
working, as all I would need to do is backup the database from one
partition and restore it on the other in order to switch between them.
That seems like the best option at the moment.

steve at greengecko

Re: Personal opinion - be careful about updating to natty [In reply to]

On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 14:23 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> I am a mythbuntu user myself, but gotta say that at time of writing 9
> out of 20 threads on the mythbuntu forums front page relate to natty
> problems:
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=301
>
> Take care out there :)

( non myth response )

I've just upgraded my work pc 9.04 to 10.04. The only thing that really
screwed up - as usual - was the sound. It seems that local mods /configs
to get sound working in the old system screwed the new one.

What's it got to do with natty / myth? I'd recommend, if possible, a
clean install, and then transfer your configs across. Testing on a known
baseline ( eg a clean natty install ) is far easier, and so far more
complete than on an upgraded system.

Hopefully, data / databases are on separate partitions, so the creation
of a new bootable one next to it should not be a problem.

Steve

--
Steve Holdoway BSc(Hons) MNZCS <steve [at] greengecko>
http://www.greengecko.co.nz