Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

MB/processor for HD BE/FE

david at fishstat

Jan 19, 2011, 10:44 PM

MB/processor for HD BE/FE

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any motherboard and processor
recommendations for a combined back/frontend system? My current
system (pre VDPAU) is probably noisier than it needs to be, so I'm
interesting in a quieter system built around a passive GT220 card.

Thanks

David

nick.rout at gmail

Jan 19, 2011, 11:02 PM

Re: MB/processor for HD BE/FE [In reply to]

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 7:44 PM, David Middleton <david [at] fishstat> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any motherboard and processor
> recommendations for a combined back/frontend system?  My current
> system (pre VDPAU) is probably noisier than it needs to be, so I'm
> interesting in a quieter system built around a passive GT220 card.

Backend's don't have to do much UNLESS you want to transcode or
commflag. The processor possibly doesn't matter too much, but low
power and low temp is a good goal. Frontend CPU doesn't have to do
much if material is vdpau acceleratable.

Given that I have an amd sempron backend, single core, no
hyperthreading and power usage that heats a cupboard to unbearable
temps, I can hardly talk. (BE only)

Nice 220 card is the one I have in a frontend:

http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA22908

However I have been informed that the 430 is smaller, uses less power
and has similar capabilities. No one seems to know of a silent one
available in NZ though.

hads at nice

Jan 20, 2011, 1:27 AM

Re: MB/processor for HD BE/FE [In reply to]

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 20:02 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
> However I have been informed that the 430 is smaller, uses less power
> and has similar capabilities. No one seems to know of a silent one
> available in NZ though.

I've have seen some reports of driver issues for HDMI sound from the
GT4xx series. I think there are patched versions around and it will
likely be fine by the next distro version releases but just something to
be aware of.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's Open Source Hardware Supplier

chris at thebayleys

Jan 20, 2011, 10:37 AM

Re: MB/processor for HD BE/FE [In reply to]

I use this as a front end
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/vot550.htm
Certainly not the cheapest front you could buy but it just be the sexyist. Ultra small and cute, effectively silent, runs mythbuntu sweet with only the wifi driver left for me to sort out.
Happy puppy.

Kind regards,
Chris Bayley

On Jan 20, 2011, at 22:27, Hadley Rich <hads [at] nice> wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 20:02 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
>> However I have been informed that the 430 is smaller, uses less power
>> and has similar capabilities. No one seems to know of a silent one
>> available in NZ though.
>
> I've have seen some reports of driver issues for HDMI sound from the
> GT4xx series. I think there are patched versions around and it will
> likely be fine by the next distro version releases but just something to
> be aware of.
>
> hads
> --
> http://nicegear.co.nz
> New Zealand's Open Source Hardware Supplier

killerkiwi2005 at gmail

Jan 20, 2011, 1:45 PM

Re: MB/processor for HD BE/FE [In reply to]

I'm also looking at hardware is a Nvidia 8200 good enough for HD?

I see its on the mythtv wiki has having B support any body with real
world usage?

http://www.ifocus.co.nz/Barebone+%25252F+Mini+Computers/SHUTTLE+Glamor+XPC+SN78SH7+NVIDIA+GeForce+8200+AM2%25252B%25252FAM2+Black+Barebone+-+Retail.html

--
"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calven

pshem.k at gmail

Jan 20, 2011, 2:22 PM

Re: MB/processor for HD BE/FE [In reply to]

Hi,

On 21 January 2011 10:45, Jason Taylor <killerkiwi2005 [at] gmail> wrote:
> I'm also looking at hardware is a Nvidia 8200 good enough for HD?
>
> I see its on the mythtv wiki has having B support any body with real
> world usage?

I have it in my frontend (it's an on-board version). I run it with the
VDPAU standard acceleration in mythtv. Works without any issues with
TV1 or TV3.

kind regards
Pshem

tdegibson at gmail

Jan 20, 2011, 5:45 PM

Re: MB/processor for HD BE/FE [In reply to]

What about an Intel i3 with one of their DH57DD motherboards, possibly a
solution if drivers are available. Full HD graphics inboard, spdif sound,
hdmi out

Regards
Tim Gibson
Mobile: 028 2580 1104 Twitter: NZtimbo
On 21 Jan 2011 11:23, "Pshem Kowalczyk" <pshem.k [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 21 January 2011 10:45, Jason Taylor <killerkiwi2005 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> I'm also looking at hardware is a Nvidia 8200 good enough for HD?
>>
>> I see its on the mythtv wiki has having B support any body with real
>> world usage?
>>
> I have it in my frontend (it's an on-board version). I run it with the
> VDPAU standard acceleration in mythtv. Works without any issues with
> TV1 or TV3.
>
> kind regards
> Pshem

steven at openmedia

Jan 20, 2011, 7:10 PM

Re: MB/processor for HD BE/FE [In reply to]

Anyone here managed to get VA-API working on an Intel board?