Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Off Topic - CCTV cameras

criggie at criggie

Jun 30, 2010, 5:11 AM

Off Topic - CCTV cameras

Hi all Sorry for the off topic post, but I'm looking for a CCTV
camera. Who's a decent wholesaler that sells them?

CDL have about 2 total, and none of the other usual IT sellers have
anything.

Relevance to mythtv? None. Any suggestions appreciated.

tortise at paradise

Jun 30, 2010, 5:18 AM

Re: Off Topic - CCTV cameras [In reply to]

----- Original Message -----
From: <criggie [at] criggie>
To: "MythTV in NZ" <mythtvnz [at] lists>
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 12:11 AM
Subject: [mythtvnz] Off Topic - CCTV cameras

> Hi all Sorry for the off topic post, but I'm looking for a CCTV
> camera. Who's a decent wholesaler that sells them?
>
> CDL have about 2 total, and none of the other usual IT sellers have
> anything.
>

> Relevance to mythtv? None. Any suggestions appreciated.

I think it is of relevance to me anyway, so I welcome any resulting discussion. Have you seen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-circuit_television_camera ?

criggie at criggie

Jun 30, 2010, 5:29 AM

Re: Off Topic - CCTV cameras [In reply to]

On 01/07/10 00:18, Tortise wrote:
> From:<criggie [at] criggie>
>> Hi all Sorry for the off topic post, but I'm looking for a CCTV
>> camera. Who's a decent wholesaler that sells them?

> I think it is of relevance to me anyway, so I welcome any resulting discussion. Have you seen
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-circuit_television_camera ?

No I hadn't - not really relevant though sorry.

Have you seen
http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome ?
http://www.lavrsen.dk/webcam/ examples.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/

rich_lists at richms

Jul 2, 2010, 3:21 AM

Re: Off Topic - CCTV cameras [In reply to]

If you find any which are not all old square screen I would love to know.

Jul 2, 2010, 4:16 AM

Re: Off Topic - CCTV cameras [In reply to]

On 02/07/10 22:21, Richard (lists account) wrote:
> If you find any which are not all old square screen I would love to know.

You mean a different ratio? Widescreen instead of 4:3?
I've looked at lots and haven't seen such a thing, but I am also looking
in the lower price end.

Most likely any widescreen camera would just letterbox off some of the
sensor rather than having a wider sensor.

I'd guess that 4:3 would show better details because of the slightly
limited window.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/

david at thistledown

Jul 4, 2010, 1:06 AM

Re: Off Topic - CCTV cameras [In reply to]

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 12:11 AM, <criggie [at] criggie> wrote:

> Relevance to mythtv? None. Any suggestions appreciated.

The relevance is obvious... the LinuxMCE project uses Mythtv for media, and
has a Security/CCTV module as well...

Instead of searching for IT sellers, try camera or security sellers, like
these guys http://www.zonetechnology.co.nz/

:-)

criggie at criggie

Jul 4, 2010, 1:48 AM

Re: Off Topic - CCTV cameras [In reply to]

On 04/07/10 20:06, David Lowe wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 12:11 AM, <criggie [at] criggie
> <mailto:criggie [at] criggie>> wrote:
>
> Relevance to mythtv? None. Any suggestions appreciated.
>

> The relevance is obvious... the LinuxMCE project uses Mythtv for media,
> and has a Security/CCTV module as well...
>
> Instead of searching for IT sellers, try camera or security sellers,
> like these guys http://www.zonetechnology.co.nz/

I got a CCD IR one from Radcliffes for $190. Have had to move the
camera site much closer though.

I got one of these on order
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26223 will report on
function later.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/

criggie at criggie

Jul 7, 2010, 7:40 PM

Re: Off Topic - CCTV cameras [In reply to]

On 04/07/10 20:48, criggie [at] criggie wrote:
> I got one of these on order
> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26223 will report on
> function later.

Sodding brilliant card. Works with the saa7134 kernel module, just needs
saa7134 card=33,33,33,33
/etc/modprobe.d/saa7134.conf

Provides /dev/video0-3 and each one just works.

Anyway - this is unrelated to myth so any questions ask off-list.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/

stevehodge at gmail

Jul 7, 2010, 7:53 PM

Re: Off Topic - CCTV cameras [In reply to]

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 2:40 PM, <criggie [at] criggie> wrote:

> On 04/07/10 20:48, criggie [at] criggie wrote:
> > I got one of these on order
> > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26223 will report on
> > function later.
>
> Sodding brilliant card. Works with the saa7134 kernel module, just needs
> saa7134 card=33,33,33,33
> /etc/modprobe.d/saa7134.conf
>
> Provides /dev/video0-3 and each one just works.
>
> Anyway - this is unrelated to myth so any questions ask off-list.

How is discussion of a video capture card unrelated to myth? This would (I
assume) work very well for recording from a Sky box. I'm temped to get one
myself as my PVR-150 is nearing the end of it's life I suspect.

Cheers,
Steve

criggie at criggie

Jul 7, 2010, 8:26 PM

Re: Off Topic - CCTV cameras [In reply to]

On 08/07/10 14:53, Steve Hodge wrote:
> Criggie wrote:
> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26223
> Sodding brilliant card. Works with the saa7134 kernel module, just
> needs
> saa7134 card=33,33,33,33
> /etc/modprobe.d/saa7134.conf
> Anyway - this is unrelated to myth so any questions ask off-list.

> How is discussion of a video capture card unrelated to myth? This would
> (I assume) work very well for recording from a Sky box. I'm temped to
> get one myself as my PVR-150 is nearing the end of it's life I suspect.

I'm using this one for CCTV and cameras, rather than broadcast.
Also I'm using motion not myth for the software side.

It does have mono audio in, but none of my cameras have microphones so
its really irrelevant to me. motion doesn't record audio anyway.
You could record from four sky boxes with this, but it wouldn't be ideal.

The PVR150 is a nice card - what's wrong with yours ?

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/

nick.rout at gmail

Jul 7, 2010, 8:27 PM

Re: Off Topic - CCTV cameras [In reply to]

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 2:40 PM, <criggie [at] criggie> wrote:
>>
>> On 04/07/10 20:48, criggie [at] criggie wrote:
>> > I got one of these on order
>> > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26223   will report on
>> > function later.
>>
>> Sodding brilliant card.  Works with the saa7134 kernel module, just needs
>>      saa7134 card=33,33,33,33
>> /etc/modprobe.d/saa7134.conf
>>
>> Provides /dev/video0-3 and each one just works.
>>
>> Anyway - this is unrelated to myth so any questions ask off-list.
>
> How is discussion of a video capture card unrelated to myth? This would (I
> assume) work very well for recording from a Sky box. I'm temped to get one
> myself as my PVR-150 is nearing the end of it's life I suspect.

If you have 4 sky boxes it would be useful :)

stevehodge at gmail

Jul 7, 2010, 8:40 PM

Re: Off Topic - CCTV cameras [In reply to]

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:26 PM, <criggie [at] criggie> wrote:

> It does have mono audio in, but none of my cameras have microphones so
> its really irrelevant to me.

Ah, that's a problem. I don't think I'd be willing to live with mono. I
guess it would be possible to record the audio separately and then remux it
into the h.264 stream but it'd be hard to get the sync right.

The PVR150 is a nice card - what's wrong with yours ?

The audio gets very distorted and full of static when starting a recording.
It's apparently not that unusual as I easily found a work-around on the net:
resetting the audio with
v4l2-ctl --set-audio-input 1 -d /dev/video0
fixes the problem. But it didn't used to exhibit the issue at all and then
for a while it was intermittent. So I suspect the hardware. And there has
been one case where resetting the audio didn't work and I had to reboot to
fix it.

Cheers,
Steve

hads at nice

Jul 7, 2010, 8:47 PM

Re: Off Topic - CCTV cameras [In reply to]

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 15:40 +1200, Steve Hodge wrote:
> The audio gets very distorted and full of static when starting a
> recording. It's apparently not that unusual as I easily found a
> work-around on the net: resetting the audio with
> v4l2-ctl --set-audio-input 1 -d /dev/video0
> fixes the problem. But it didn't used to exhibit the issue at all and
> then for a while it was intermittent. So I suspect the hardware. And
> there has been one case where resetting the audio didn't work and I
> had to reboot to fix it.

Tinny audio is an annoying IVTV driver bug that's been around and back
again for ages. I've seen it on three out of four systems myself at
varying rates of intermittent-ness and frequency which also changes with
kernel versions. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was this.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's Open Source Hardware Supplier

stevehodge at gmail

Jul 7, 2010, 9:06 PM

Re: Off Topic - CCTV cameras [In reply to]

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Hadley Rich <hads [at] nice> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 15:40 +1200, Steve Hodge wrote:
> > The audio gets very distorted and full of static when starting a
> > recording. It's apparently not that unusual as I easily found a
> > work-around on the net: resetting the audio with
> > v4l2-ctl --set-audio-input 1 -d /dev/video0
> > fixes the problem. But it didn't used to exhibit the issue at all and
> > then for a while it was intermittent. So I suspect the hardware. And
> > there has been one case where resetting the audio didn't work and I
> > had to reboot to fix it.
>
> Tinny audio is an annoying IVTV driver bug that's been around and back
> again for ages. I've seen it on three out of four systems myself at
> varying rates of intermittent-ness and frequency which also changes with
> kernel versions. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was this.

It's possible though it's a lot worse than just "tinny". I don't upgrade my
kernel very often and I'm pretty sure it's gotten worse between upgrades.

The card is at least 5 years old and IIRC I might have picked it up second
hand even then. The system had heat issues for a while too.

Cheers,
Steve

nick.rout at gmail

Jul 7, 2010, 9:26 PM

Re: Off Topic - CCTV cameras [In reply to]

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:26 PM, <criggie [at] criggie> wrote:
>>
>> It does have mono audio in, but none of my cameras have microphones so
>> its really irrelevant to me.
>
> Ah, that's a problem. I don't think I'd be willing to live with mono. I
> guess it would be possible to record the audio separately and then remux it
> into the h.264 stream but it'd be hard to get the sync right.
>
>> The PVR150 is a nice card - what's wrong with yours ?
>
> The audio gets very distorted and full of static when starting a recording.
> It's apparently not that unusual as I easily found a work-around on the net:
> resetting the audio with
> v4l2-ctl --set-audio-input 1 -d /dev/video0
> fixes the problem. But it didn't used to exhibit the issue at all and then
> for a while it was intermittent. So I suspect the hardware. And there has
> been one case where resetting the audio didn't work and I had to reboot to
> fix it.

I had the tinny audio problem, but no longer use the card. Your fix
(cronned to happen every 10 seconds) 'fixed' it.

stevehodge at gmail

Jul 7, 2010, 9:46 PM

Re: Off Topic - CCTV cameras [In reply to]

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge [at] gmail> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:26 PM, <criggie [at] criggie> wrote:
> >>
> >> It does have mono audio in, but none of my cameras have microphones so
> >> its really irrelevant to me.
> >
> > Ah, that's a problem. I don't think I'd be willing to live with mono. I
> > guess it would be possible to record the audio separately and then remux
> it
> > into the h.264 stream but it'd be hard to get the sync right.
> >
> >> The PVR150 is a nice card - what's wrong with yours ?
> >
> > The audio gets very distorted and full of static when starting a
> recording.
> > It's apparently not that unusual as I easily found a work-around on the
> net:
> > resetting the audio with
> > v4l2-ctl --set-audio-input 1 -d /dev/video0
> > fixes the problem. But it didn't used to exhibit the issue at all and
> then
> > for a while it was intermittent. So I suspect the hardware. And there has
> > been one case where resetting the audio didn't work and I had to reboot
> > fix it.
>
> I had the tinny audio problem, but no longer use the card. Your fix
> (cronned to happen every 10 seconds) 'fixed' it.

I'm running it in the channel change script - once it's fixed it seems to
stay fixed for the duration of a recording.

Cheers,
Steve

chris at teamrobertson

Jul 7, 2010, 9:46 PM

Re: Off Topic - CCTV cameras [In reply to]

On 8/07/2010 4:26 p.m., Nick Rout wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Steve Hodge<stevehodge [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:26 PM,<criggie [at] criggie> wrote:
>>
>>> It does have mono audio in, but none of my cameras have microphones so
>>> its really irrelevant to me.
>>>
>> Ah, that's a problem. I don't think I'd be willing to live with mono. I
>> guess it would be possible to record the audio separately and then remux it
>> into the h.264 stream but it'd be hard to get the sync right.
>>

>>> The PVR150 is a nice card - what's wrong with yours ?
>>>
>> The audio gets very distorted and full of static when starting a recording.
>> It's apparently not that unusual as I easily found a work-around on the net:
>> resetting the audio with
>> v4l2-ctl --set-audio-input 1 -d /dev/video0
>> fixes the problem. But it didn't used to exhibit the issue at all and then
>> for a while it was intermittent. So I suspect the hardware. And there has
>> been one case where resetting the audio didn't work and I had to reboot to
>> fix it.
>>
> I had the tinny audio problem, but no longer use the card. Your fix
> (cronned to happen every 10 seconds) 'fixed' it.

I see this audio problem occasionally as well - definitely think it is a
driver issue rather than a hardware problem, as (for me) it appeared
immediately after upgrading to 0.21. No obvious pattern to it, but
changing channels several times in LiveTV will trigger it almost every time.

Cheers,
Chris

hads at nice

Jul 7, 2010, 9:51 PM

Re: Off Topic - CCTV cameras [In reply to]

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 16:46 +1200, Steve Hodge wrote:
> I'm running it in the channel change script - once it's fixed it seems
> to stay fixed for the duration of a recording.

Ditto, although on my system it happens very infrequently without it
these days.

hads