Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Problem with desktop extending beyond screen edge

ross.jemima at gmail

Mar 6, 2010, 1:13 AM

Problem with desktop extending beyond screen edge

Hi all,

Not sure if this is a myth problem directly or not. I just got a new LCD
TV (42" Konka - nice and cheap from DSE). However I'm having trouble
with the resolution. I can set it to 1080P and get the DVI to HDMI
output on the TV fine however I'm missing all the sides of the screen.
So I can't see my taskbar at the top or bottom of the screen and am
missing a small area from the edges. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 AMD_64.
I've searched on the web a little but am getting sick of wrecking my
xconfig files and having to fix the display up! I tried connecting my
Windows 7 laptop to the DVI cable and it displays perfectly with no
missing edges at the same resolution so I can be confident that the TV
is working OK which leaves me with Linux... Also I'm using JYA's Nvidia
drivers on a Geforce 9400 GT.

Regards

Rossco

jfpn at clearfield

Mar 6, 2010, 1:21 AM

Re: Problem with desktop extending beyond screen edge [In reply to]

> Not sure if this is a myth problem directly or not. I just got a new LCD
> TV (42" Konka - nice and cheap from DSE). However I'm having trouble
> with the resolution. I can set it to 1080P and get the DVI to HDMI
> output on the TV fine however I'm missing all the sides of the screen.
> So I can't see my taskbar at the top or bottom of the screen and am
> missing a small area from the edges. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 AMD_64.
> I've searched on the web a little but am getting sick of wrecking my
> xconfig files and having to fix the display up! I tried connecting my
> Windows 7 laptop to the DVI cable and it displays perfectly with no
> missing edges at the same resolution so I can be confident that the TV
> is working OK which leaves me with Linux... Also I'm using JYA's Nvidia
> drivers on a Geforce 9400 GT.

It's a TV problem, most TV will chop the edges of to get rid of noise at the
edges, not very usefull with 1080p signals...

Hopefully your TV will have a setting like "Just Scan", it should be where
you specify 4:3 or 16:9 and "some other weird name" to just display the
actual pixels.

Jean-Francois Pirus <jfp [at] clearfield> Technical Manager
Phone (+64-9) 358 2081 Clearfield Software Ltd
Fax (+64-9) 358 2083 1st Floor 8-10 Whitaker Place
Mob (+64-21) 640 779 P O Box 3901 Auckland, New Zealand

tortise at paradise

Mar 6, 2010, 1:25 AM

Re: Problem with desktop extending beyond screen edge [In reply to]

> Not sure if this is a myth problem directly or not. I just got a new LCD
> TV (42" Konka - nice and cheap from DSE). However I'm having trouble
> with the resolution. I can set it to 1080P and get the DVI to HDMI
> output on the TV fine however I'm missing all the sides of the screen.
> So I can't see my taskbar at the top or bottom of the screen and am
> missing a small area from the edges. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 AMD_64.
> I've searched on the web a little but am getting sick of wrecking my
> xconfig files and having to fix the display up! I tried connecting my
> Windows 7 laptop to the DVI cable and it displays perfectly with no
> missing edges at the same resolution so I can be confident that the TV
> is working OK which leaves me with Linux... Also I'm using JYA's Nvidia
> drivers on a Geforce 9400 GT.
>
> Regards

If using a recent enough NVIDIA version you can check out the slider "Overscan Compensation" as found in NVIDIA X server setting
under GPU0 and probably CRT-1.... its a fair bet your answer lies there. Let us know if this is the answer and what you think of
the monitor?

ross.jemima at gmail

Mar 6, 2010, 1:50 AM

Re: Problem with desktop extending beyond screen edge [In reply to]

Tortise wrote:

> If using a recent enough NVIDIA version you can check out the slider "Overscan Compensation" as found in NVIDIA X server setting
> under GPU0 and probably CRT-1.... its a fair bet your answer lies there. Let us know if this is the answer and what you think of
> the monitor?

That worked like a charm!!! Now I can see my beloved taskbar. I ended
up tweaking that slider to 100 and it seems to fit correctly.
Interesting it works out to be a nice round number. Makes me think that
something else is going wrong somewhere.

Jean-Francois Pirus wrote:
> It's a TV problem, most TV will chop the edges of to get rid of noise
at the
> edges, not very usefull with 1080p signals...
>
> Hopefully your TV will have a setting like "Just Scan", it should be
where
> you specify 4:3 or 16:9 and "some other weird name" to just display the
> actual pixels.

I wondered the same thing. The only settings I can seem to access from
the TV menu say "scale mode" which can be set to a number of settings
but even on the "full" setting it was cutting off the edges. Note also
that when I connected my laptop up it didn't cut anything off. Oh well
its fixed as noted above for the moment.

Cheers guys.

nick.rout at gmail

Mar 6, 2010, 11:44 AM

Re: Problem with desktop extending beyond screen edge [In reply to]

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 10:50 PM, Ross and Jemima Knudsen
<ross.jemima [at] gmail> wrote:
> Tortise wrote:
>>
>> If using a recent enough NVIDIA version you can check out the slider "Overscan Compensation" as found in NVIDIA X server setting
>> under GPU0 and probably CRT-1....  its a fair bet your answer lies there.  Let us know if this is the answer and what you think of
>> the monitor?
>>
> That worked like a charm!!!  Now I can see my beloved taskbar.  I ended
> up tweaking that slider to 100 and it seems to fit correctly.
> Interesting it works out to be a nice round number.  Makes me think that
> something else is going wrong somewhere.
>
> Jean-Francois Pirus wrote:
>> It's a TV problem, most TV will chop the edges of to get rid of noise
> at the
>> edges, not very usefull with 1080p signals...
>>
>> Hopefully your TV will have a setting like "Just Scan", it should be
> where
>> you specify 4:3 or 16:9 and "some other weird name" to just display the
>> actual pixels.
>
> I wondered the same thing.  The only settings I can seem to access from
> the TV menu say "scale mode" which can be set to a number of settings
> but even on the "full" setting it was cutting off the edges.  Note also
> that when I connected my laptop up it didn't cut anything off.  Oh well
> its fixed as noted above for the moment.

no mention of konka on this wiki http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/

but it can be a useful resource

tortise at paradise

Mar 6, 2010, 2:07 PM

Re: Problem with desktop extending beyond screen edge [In reply to]

> Not sure if this is a myth problem directly or not. I just got a new LCD
> TV (42" Konka - nice and cheap from DSE). However I'm having trouble
> with the resolution. I can set it to 1080P and get the DVI to HDMI
> output on the TV fine however I'm missing all the sides of the screen.
> So I can't see my taskbar at the top or bottom of the screen and am
> missing a small area from the edges. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 AMD_64.
> I've searched on the web a little but am getting sick of wrecking my
> xconfig files and having to fix the display up! I tried connecting my
> Windows 7 laptop to the DVI cable and it displays perfectly with no
> missing edges at the same resolution so I can be confident that the TV
> is working OK

Hmmm. Can you though? Is it actually displaying true 1080p as claimed? One test is to display an image with alternating coloured
parallel adjacent lines that are each a pixel wide and see if they are detailed, as well as if they are all detailed. Test
patterns are also available on the Internet. There should be 1080 horizontal lines seen (and debatably 1920 vertical lines) for
1080p display.

ross.jemima at gmail

Mar 7, 2010, 12:16 AM

Re: Problem with desktop extending beyond screen edge [In reply to]

Tortise wrote:
> Hmmm. Can you though? Is it actually displaying true 1080p as claimed? One test is to display an image with alternating coloured
> parallel adjacent lines that are each a pixel wide and see if they are detailed, as well as if they are all detailed. Test
> patterns are also available on the Internet. There should be 1080 horizontal lines seen (and debatably 1920 vertical lines) for
> 1080p display.

Would you be able to post an image and I will test.

I assume that it is displaying the whole 1080 lines as my Windows laptop
did recognise and switch to 1080 resolution and the edges of the screen
were all visible. Note I don't really want to have to count all the
lines ;-).

tortise at paradise

Mar 7, 2010, 12:57 AM

Re: Problem with desktop extending beyond screen edge [In reply to]

>> Hmmm. Can you though? Is it actually displaying true 1080p as claimed? One test is to display an image with alternating
>> coloured
>> parallel adjacent lines that are each a pixel wide and see if they are detailed, as well as if they are all detailed. Test
>> patterns are also available on the Internet. There should be 1080 horizontal lines seen (and debatably 1920 vertical lines) for
>> 1080p display.
>
> Would you be able to post an image and I will test.

I hope its ok to do so... I hacked this up for you. You should be able to see all the lines - the 3 black lines at each corner (x
four), as well as the ten horizontal lines in the middle.

Also see this comprehensive site... http://www.w6rz.net/

> I assume that it is displaying the whole 1080 lines as my Windows laptop
> did recognise and switch to 1080 resolution and the edges of the screen
> were all visible.

Scaled images are not always what they seem.

> Note I don't really want to have to count all the
> lines ;-).

OK. Me neither, so I won't suggest you do that, we have cpus, software and images that can do that!
Attachments: 1920x1080.test.image.jpg (47.5 KB)

tortise at paradise

Mar 7, 2010, 1:56 AM

Re: Problem with desktop extending beyond screen edge [In reply to]

See http://imagebin.ca/view/NHhmwZf.html I hacked this up for you. You should be able to see all the lines - the 3 black lines at
each corner (x
four), as well as the ten horizontal lines in the middle.

Also see this comprehensive site... http://www.w6rz.net/

> I assume that it is displaying the whole 1080 lines as my Windows laptop
> did recognise and switch to 1080 resolution and the edges of the screen
> were all visible.

Scaled images are not always what they seem.

> Note I don't really want to have to count all the
> lines ;-).

OK. Me neither, so I won't suggest you do that, we have cpus, software and images that can do that!

ross.jemima at gmail

Mar 7, 2010, 10:41 PM

Re: Problem with desktop extending beyond screen edge [In reply to]

Tortise wrote:
> See http://imagebin.ca/view/NHhmwZf.html I hacked this up for you. You should be able to see all the lines - the 3 black lines at
> each corner (x
> four), as well as the ten horizontal lines in the middle.

Thanks for putting that together. I can only see five lines in middle
and all three lines at the edges.

tortise at paradise

Mar 8, 2010, 2:42 AM

Re: Problem with desktop extending beyond screen edge [In reply to]