Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Mythtvnz

Multi-threaded Mplayer

feadog at orcon

Jan 25, 2009, 12:49 PM

Multi-threaded Mplayer

Hi all,

Finally got mplayer to compile with the experimental multi-threaded version of
ffmpeg over the weekend. Now can watch the troublesome NZ. h264/aac stream of
TV1 and TV2 on my eeepc901netbook, using my Asus My Cinema DVB-T stick.

Hopefully one day this multi-threading will be merged int the Mythtv trunk,
and thus the reason for posting here.

Here's how -

grabbed mplayer svn
svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer

now get ffmpeg-mt
git clone git://gitorious.org/ffmpeg/ffmpeg-mt.git

replace the libav* folders in mplayer-svn with the libav* folders in ffmpeg-mt

cd mplayer
./configure
make

after some time you will create the binary mplayer in the mplayer folder.
Rename this to mplayer-mt and copy it to /usr/bin.

then you can use it muli-threaded like this

mplayer-mt -vfm lavf -lavdopts\
fast:skiploopfilter=all:skipframe=nonref:threads=4\
-cache 5000 dvb://"TV ONE"

this binary requires a suitable channels.conf for your town
in /usr/local/etc/mplayer.

If you are using debian or its derivatives you could try install dependencies
for mplayer with
apt-get build-dep mplayer

Of course you will also neet subversion and git-core installed along with
build-essential and probably other packages as well.

I've add the binary (mplayer-mt) compiled on the eeepc to my ftp server if
anyone wants to try it out without the need to compile. Download from

ftp://60.234.131.184/mplayer
(Not always available, try later)
also there, is my channels conf for Dunedin. Mt. Cargill

I'm sure that with a bit of fiddling with the mplayer parameters, improvements
will be seen. Audio sync works much better with "threads=4" than "threads=2"
for example. On thee eeepc901 watching TV1 sees both cores running 90%, quite
a few lost frames, but at least the audio remains in sync.

I'm really not certain of the quality of the Asus My Cinema U3100 DVB-T USB
stick, so I'd appreciate any feedback of your experience with other
sticks/cards here.

Noel Sheridan

steven at openmedia

Jan 25, 2009, 1:28 PM

Re: Multi-threaded Mplayer [In reply to]

feadog wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Finally got mplayer to compile with the experimental multi-threaded version of
> ffmpeg over the weekend. Now can watch the troublesome NZ. h264/aac stream of
> TV1 and TV2 on my eeepc901netbook, using my Asus My Cinema DVB-T stick.
>
> Hopefully one day this multi-threading will be merged int the Mythtv trunk,
> and thus the reason for posting here.

Interesting. When were these patches contributed to ffmpeg/mplayer as I
must have missed the posting.

Steve

scantem at gmail

Jan 25, 2009, 1:41 PM

Re: Multi-threaded Mplayer [In reply to]

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 9:49 AM, feadog <feadog [at] orcon> wrote:

> I'm really not certain of the quality of the Asus My Cinema U3100 DVB-T USB
> stick, so I'd appreciate any feedback of your experience with other
> sticks/cards here.

I have 2 USB tuner sticks, the Asus U3100 and an Avermedia Hybrid Volar HX.
The be honest I've been much more impressed with the Asus, the chipset it
uses is supported by the latest kernel, and it just worked in MythTV without
issue. For the Avermedia I had to install their drivers, increase the tuning
timeout in MythTV to get it to tune the DVB channels, and I can't get the
analogue tuner working. In terms of quality I can't see any difference in
signal quality (but I'm in central Christchurch and get excellent
reception), I haven't tried the little aerials that come with either of the
USB sticks :) For the price I've been much more impressed with the Asus
stick, the Avermedia build quality seems much lower.

Thanks very much for the mplayer details, I'll have to give it a try.

Simon

feadog at orcon

Jan 25, 2009, 1:58 PM

Re: Multi-threaded Mplayer [In reply to]

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:28:20 Steven Ellis wrote:
> Interesting. When were these patches contributed to ffmpeg/mplayer as I
> must have missed the posting.
>
> Steve

They are not yet in ffmpeg trunk, you should viist

http://gitorious.org/projects/ffmpeg/repos/ffmpeg-mt

Which appeared after last the Google summer of code. (Alexander Strange)
I dont think the code is yet mature enough for merging with mainline
ffmpeg/mplayer

But it's a good start.

feadog at orcon

Jan 25, 2009, 2:09 PM

Re: Multi-threaded Mplayer [In reply to]

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:41:26 Simon Cantem wrote:
> For the price I've been much more impressed with the Asus
> stick, the Avermedia build quality seems much lower.

Thanks for that. I have a problem with the Asus U3100 My Cinema where
occasionally it misfires and locks up the USB bus, and you have to reboot to
restore. But this could be a software/firmware problem. Its a bit of a
nuisance, since other devices such as bluetooth are also internally connected
to the same bus and this can cause shutdown problems.

Have you seen the same problem? on your installation?

Noel Sheridan

scantem at gmail

Jan 25, 2009, 2:40 PM

Re: Multi-threaded Mplayer [In reply to]

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:09 AM, feadog <feadog [at] orcon> wrote:

> Thanks for that. I have a problem with the Asus U3100 My Cinema where
> occasionally it misfires and locks up the USB bus, and you have to reboot
> restore. But this could be a software/firmware problem. Its a bit of a
> nuisance, since other devices such as bluetooth are also internally
> connected
> to the same bus and this can cause shutdown problems.
>
> Have you seen the same problem? on your installation?

No I've had zero problems with lockups, I use the u3100 as my highest
priority tuner and between my girlfriend and myself we record/watch about
2-3 hours of TV a day with it. Recording with the Asus and watching the
AverMedia also works fine. I'm using an Acer L460 to do the recording that
has an Intel G31 chipset running the 2.6.27-11 kernel.

I do get the occasional mythfrontend crash - a really weird one is it won't
schedule a recording of the Sarah Silverman program, the frontend bombs out
but the backend stays up. If I do it through Mythweb it works fine, maybe
the GUI developers don't like that sort of humour!